Home
Posted By: djs Bullets that Change Direction - 01/30/15
From CNN - the DARPA (DoD Research Agency) is working on bullets that change direction in mid-flight. Interesting concept!

http://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2015/01/29/smart-bullet-change-direction-mid-air-orig-nws.cnn
That happens to me all the time.

P
Bullets in flight are CONSTANTLY changing direction. Muddy
That's what they need on the rail guns.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
That happens to me all the time.

P

Me also.
I must of been shooting those the last time I was at the range.
Mine like to go exactly where I'm aiming...when I'm holding off for wind. shocked
Posted By: djs Re: Bullets that Change Direction - 01/31/15
Originally Posted by Outbackandy
I must of been shooting those the last time I was at the range.

Except these have the potential to change direction to actually HIT the target! smile
THAT explains why I missed those deer! DOD HAS to be sneaking them out on the market! wink laugh
SOMETIMES they change direction to where I wanted them to go!
I blame it all on the gravity fluxes caused by lunar flairs. They seem to happen just before I pull the trigger.
In the 1960s some of my colleagues worked on the first successful self-guided smart bombs. Others were trying to perfect self-guided artillery shells. I think the problem with "smart bullets" would be in identifying the target against a background of optical clutter. Also how would the fins work if the bullet were turning at thousands of RPMs? In short, I think someone is hoodwinking the Pentagon in order to get lists of development money to spend on company cars, high salaries for cute secretaries, "technical conferences" at resorts, and the like.
Originally Posted by Scott F
I blame it all on the gravity fluxes caused by lunar flairs. They seem to happen just before I pull the trigger.

That's happened to me every dang time I've missed a critter.......sheesh.
I seem to time them perfectly. No idea why.

Lunar flare!

Gravity flux!

good stuff this evening!
Not so much on the range, but often hunting. Can't seem to find the right to left bullets or is it left to right.. Forget about up and down.
Originally Posted by Crockettnj

Lunar flare!

Gravity flux!

good stuff this evening!

Feel free to use it, my shooting friends don't seem to believe me but you might have better luck.
May be shooting left spin bullets in a right spinning gun. Oh, and I need some turn indicator fluid.
The wrong twist is easy to fix. When you open a new box of bullets at your reloading bench just load the ones pointing right and forward for right hand twist barrels and the ones pointing left or toward you for left hand twist. Whatever you do NEVER open the box backwards or upside down. Don't ask how I know. eek
Holy crap thanks Scott. It expertise like this that keeps me at the fire.

I guess it doesn't matter how you open the box if, you know, you have a crf.
You are welcome. grin
Damn! The military will go to any length to avoid teaching MARKSMANSHIP!!
I prefer all my barrels to be straight twist. It counter-effects the spin velocity directly proportionate to the rate of spin it doesn't have.
Angelina Jolie taught me how to do it.
Posted By: PVT Re: Bullets that Change Direction - 03/15/15
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I prefer all my barrels to be straight twist. It counter-effects the spin velocity directly proportionate to the rate of spin it doesn't have.

Yes yes yes. But what about coriolis effect?

That, and a liberal coating of Bullet Balm*. It uses the latest scientific developments in transmetallic layering and valence technology.

*Pat Pending

I actually (no- really!) once saw a large bore english double that had straight rifling. I posted a question about it and no one could determine why it was made that way.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Bullets that Change Direction - 03/15/15
Originally Posted by PVT

Yes yes yes. But what about coriolis effect?

As well, Ed Zern taught us that the Solunar Tables should be factored in to all facets of our sporting lives! grin
At the last campfire gettogether in AZ in Feb, Brian from Colorado was shooting a pistol at a target and as he pulled the trigger, I took a step to the left, and the bullet came back and hit the dirt where I had been standing about 1/2 second ago....
© 24hourcampfire