Home
Posted By: hillbillybear 1895 Winchester - 02/25/15
I recently found a box of older magazines (i.e. Rifle, Handloader, etc) that I used to restock the porcelain communion reading rack.

As I perused their pages during the morning visiting hours, I read several articles dedicated to the 1895 Winchester and a question formed in my mind that could only come to a hopeless Rifle Looney.

Did any company or enterprising gunsmith ever develop a scope mount for the 1895 along the lines of the side mounts used for the pre-angle eject 1894's?

An inquiring mind wants to know. smile
Posted By: GutshotBuck Re: 1895 Winchester - 02/25/15
https://www.google.com/search?q=189...ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1037&bih=485
Posted By: tmitch Re: 1895 Winchester - 02/25/15
I've seen a couple original 1895s that had the left receiver wall D&T'd for after market (non-original) scope mounts. I suspect they were same type mounts that screwed up to many '94s
Posted By: T_O_M Re: 1895 Winchester - 02/25/15
My great grandfather's slab-side carbine in .30-40 had a side mount and a low power scope. I don't think it was drilled and tapped by a 'smith, I think the mount used factory threaded holes. I don't have the gun handy so I can't check to be sure.

Definitely a side mount, though, off an inch or more left of bore-center. The iron sights were visible and got as much use or more than the optics.

Good memories thinking back about that rifle. I remember him getting really really mad at me one time 'cause ... gasp ... I cleaned it. He was sure it wouldn't shoot straight after that.

Tom
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: 1895 Winchester - 02/25/15
Originally Posted by T_O_M
My great grandfather's slab-side carbine in .30-40 had a side mount and a low power scope. I don't think it was drilled and tapped by a 'smith, I think the mount used factory threaded holes. I don't have the gun handy so I can't check to be sure.

Definitely a side mount, though, off an inch or more left of bore-center. The iron sights were visible and got as much use or more than the optics.

Good memories thinking back about that rifle. I remember him getting really really mad at me one time 'cause ... gasp ... I cleaned it. He was sure it wouldn't shoot straight after that.

Tom

I react the same way to clean rifle barrels. smile

Thanks for information about the scopes.

Thanks for the pictures.
Originally Posted by tmitch
I've seen a couple original 1895s that had the left receiver wall D&T'd for after market (non-original) scope mounts. I suspect they were same type mounts that screwed up to many '94s

I wonder if a side mount for an 1894 would also work with a 95?

HMMMMM....
Posted By: tmitch Re: 1895 Winchester - 02/25/15
Probably, but I wouldn't screw up an unmolested original '95 like that. A Japchester? Drill away!
I have done some stupid things to guns. But I wouldn't mess up a nice original 95.
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: 1895 Winchester - 02/26/15
I have 1895 (30 govt) that had a lot of holes drilled in it when I bought it. It wears a williams peep on it. I get along with it real well.
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: 1895 Winchester - 02/26/15
My eyes are so bad I have a lot of trouble using open sights.
Posted By: kciH Re: 1895 Winchester - 02/27/15
You have the same probs with a peep sight HBB? I'm just starting into my 40's, with the usual vision issues, but I can still shoot a peep well.
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: 1895 Winchester - 02/27/15
I will be 47 my next birthday and I have arrived at the bifocal requirement with my eyesight so I am even blinder than I have been.

Posted By: Bugger Re: 1895 Winchester - 02/27/15
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I have 1895 (30 govt) that had a lot of holes drilled in it when I bought it. It wears a williams peep on it. I get along with it real well.

buying them that way means you can use it without as much fear of dinging it. (I'm too careful even with a SMLE)
© 24hourcampfire