Home
Posted By: 300_savage question for .458 Win - 02/27/15
In another post you speak of the rifles kept in your outhouse. I grew up with one of those on the farm (we had indoor plumbing by then, but kept the old facilities running for when the single bathroom was in use by someone else smile ). However, not living in bear country, we didn't have to arm the place. I would be interested in an article on your outhouse rifles and other utilitarian guns you may need and use in Alaska. Perhaps the title would be "Outhouse Armament." I'm actually serious about this....working rifles interest me.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: question for .458 Win - 02/27/15
I'd be interested, too. Always interested in others working guns, and why the choices.
Posted By: jwall Re: question for .458 Win - 02/27/15
I third that motion.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: question for .458 Win - 02/27/15
Phil did do an article on "outhouse guns" in was in an Successful Hunter issue.
Posted By: Savuti Re: question for .458 Win - 02/27/15
IIRC, it was "A Rigby in the Outhouse", I believe a .416 CZ.
Posted By: 458Win Re: question for .458 Win - 02/27/15
I did do a piece in Wolfe Publishing's Successful Hiunter magazine titled " The Rigby in the Outhouse" when I was on their staff as a writer.
The Rigby was given to my son when he moved to Zambia to work. It was replaced by a number of guns, Win M-12 12 ga., 45-70 Marlin, 44 mag Marlin and was ultimately replaced with a 303 SMLE. I thought that rifle adequate and poetic as well.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: question for .458 Win - 02/27/15
Originally Posted by 458Win
I did do a piece in Wolfe Publishing's Successful Hiunter magazine titled " The Rigby in the Outhouse" when I was on their staff as a writer.
The Rigby was given to my son when he moved to Zambia to work. It was replaced by a number of guns, Win M-12 12 ga., 45-70 Marlin, 44 mag Marlin and was ultimately replaced with a 303 SMLE. I thought that rifle adequate and poetic as well.

Definitely appropriate for an outhouse gun. grin
Posted By: jimone Re: question for .458 Win - 02/27/15
The Smelly should be appropriate, unless it's a two holer?
Posted By: greydog Re: question for .458 Win - 02/27/15
I don't have an outhouse gun but I do frequently leave the Lee Enfield in the wood shed. It has not accounted for any bears but has gotten a coyote and a couple of packrats. It's predecessor, a Model 94 Winchester, was used on a cougar. In that case, the 94 was on the porch and the cougar was in the corral waiting for our foal to come within range. GD
Posted By: 300_savage Re: question for .458 Win - 02/27/15
Thanks, Phil....I'll look for that issue. One of my favorite articles of yours was the one on "old ugly." Finn Aagaard also wrote about Old Ugly, and I really enjoyed reading about that rifle for some reason.
Posted By: TexasPhotog Re: question for .458 Win - 02/27/15
Originally Posted by 458Win
I thought that rifle adequate and poetic as well.

laugh
Posted By: 300_savage Re: question for .458 Win - 02/27/15
I think a Colt SA would be an appropriate outhouse gun. After all, it is the model P.
Posted By: Biebs Re: question for .458 Win - 02/28/15
Phil has a number of guns that would qualify as "old ugly", mixed in with his Westley Richards, Lon Paul rifles, and other fine pieces. Strange arsenal, for sure :-)
Posted By: idahoguy101 Re: question for .458 Win - 02/28/15
The SMLE comes with a bayonet. Inside an outhouse with any wild critter, that may be useful!
Bayonets are used full when the paper runs out as well.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: question for .458 Win - 02/28/15
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Bayonets are used full when the paper runs out as well.

grin

If I ever go "down under" I'll have to remember to bring my own -

bayonet of course.
Posted By: 458Win Re: question for .458 Win - 03/01/15
There is something about having a droplock in the outhouse that bothers even me.
In Aussie lingo, it is called the "Long Drop" or the "Thunder box" plus another dozen or so names, depending on the company. Out in the bush they are multi-seaters as a bunch of shearers can be out there after a meal sharing different sections of the newspaper.
The multi-seaters aren't too bad as long as they aren't the two-story variety. That would give new meaning to the "Long Drop" now, wouldn't it?
© 24hourcampfire