Home
I have 2 280 AI's being built right now. Spec'd a Wyatt's box on the first gun. Gunsmith number one said great and we moved on with the specs. Gunsmith number 2 on the second rifle said he hated Wyatt's boxes and that a 280ai had plenty of room to seat out bullets and Vld bullets in a standard Remington mag box. I am a new reloader and have no idea how far out will seat the Vld bullets. Should I remove the Wyatt's mag from my first gun order or does it make sense? Thanks
Listen to gunsmith #2
280AI with a 162 Amax seated at jamming length,inside of an OEM '700 box..

the throat would have to be botched up pretty bad at its conception to use up the magazine length.

[Linked Image]
I have used Wyatt's boxes in the past with no complaint, but I had a pretty good 'smith install it and wouldn't hesitate to do so again if I needed the additional OAL. I can't imagine needing a longer box in a 700 for a 280AI. A cartridge designed around a 3.35 action should be easy to mate to a 3.65 box....
Originally Posted by 406_SBC
I have used Wyatt's boxes in the past with no complaint. I can't imagine needing a longer box in a 700 for a 280AI.

What he said.
Absolutely no reason to do a Wyatt's for a 280 AI...Plenty of OAL on tap in standard LA mag boxes.......Not a Wyatt's hater here, FWIW..

X-VERMINATOR
Nothing to gain over the factory box.
© 24hourcampfire