Home
Posted By: Daveman Should I Buy An AR? - 04/10/15
I'm torn. I found a new, no-frills AR for a very reasonable price, and I have funds available to purchase it. The problem is that I have an SKS, which is an absolute blast to shoot, plus a couple of semi-auto .22 rimfires, so I certainly do not need it (I know, need has nothing to do with a rifle purchase.) On the other hand, I've shot several of my friends' ARs, and they are fun to shoot, plus ammo is widely available, not to mention that AR's are the consummate American rifle. I tend to be more of an accuracy nut and a bolt-action guy. I'm tempted to buy it simply because it drives Hillary and the libtards crazy that Americans can do so. Am I the only person who does NOT own an AR now? The gun mags sure make it seem that way.
Posted By: hunting1 Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/10/15
"I'm tempted to buy it simply because it drives Hillary and the libtards crazy that Americans can do so. "

Yes you should for the sake of a new toy as well you answered your question...
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/10/15
Originally Posted by Daveman
Am I the only person who does NOT own an AR now? The gun mags sure make it seem that way.

Don't own one, never will...
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/10/15
Daveman,

You might be surprised at how well a "no-frills" AR-15 shoots.
Posted By: bowmanh Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/10/15
If you like your SKS I think you'll really like an AR-15. As JB says, they tend to shoot well. They're easy to customize and ammunition is both available and fairly cheap.
And they are a far better hunting rifle than the left would have you believe.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/10/15
I'm torn. I found a new, no-frills AR for a very reasonable price, and I have funds available to purchase it. The problem is that I have an SKS, which is an absolute blast to shoot, plus a couple of semi-auto .22 rimfires, so I certainly do not need it (I know, need has nothing to do with a rifle purchase.) On the other hand, I've shot several of my friends' ARs, and they are fun to shoot, plus ammo is widely available, not to mention that AR's are the consummate American rifle. I tend to be more of an accuracy nut and a bolt-action guy. I'm tempted to buy it simply because it drives Hillary and the libtards crazy that Americans can do so. Am I the only person who does NOT own an AR now? The gun mags sure make it seem that way.

Of course you should get an AR!
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/10/15
Get one.. And if you're an accuracy nut, you can easily twist a real bughole shooter up all by yourself.
Posted By: 406_SBC Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/10/15
I'd been around them for years, but never took them seriously. I built my first one and hated it so much that I've put three more together in the past year. There isn't a whole lot I couldn't do with one and few things are more fun. I'll never be without several in the safe again.....
They are a great little rifle... Reasonably accurate, easy to handload for, easy to clean, and politically incorrect to the nth degree.
You should get one......for each person in the house.
Posted By: cv540 Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/10/15
"Am I the only person who does NOT own an AR now?"

No, you are not. I have shot several thousand rounds through an M4, and have no interest in owning one, or an AR.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/10/15
Am I the only person who does NOT own an AR now?

No.

I don't have much use for them.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/10/15
I have one, but for casual shooting I enjoy my Garands much more.
Posted By: TwentyTwo Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/11/15
No, I don't own an AR-15 or any other semi-automatic centerfire rifle. I'm a retiree and a reloader, so chasing and losing brass that flies hither, thither and wherever is just too much fuss and pain for me. If I were a rural resident, an AR-15's combat capabilities might make it desirable household equipment.
Posted By: KyWindageII Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/11/15
I have a Bushmaster CMP which I bought for High Power shooting just as the dark side was taking over. Enjoyed it, made Master and loved watching those 80 grain Sierras go into the ten ring at 600 yards. Purchased a 16 inch upper and carried it around the farm a couple of times, but find other firearms more suitable for handling incidental targets.

Everyday ground hogs, crows and 'yotes are handled by by my CZ .22 Magnum, longer ranged critters with a Remington 700 .223. The AR system shoots well but is not the firearm I like to just "hang" with. Traditionalist?
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/11/15
I carried the mil version in Iraq, and due to some unique rules there I had to carry it on my person all the time unless PTing or showering. I had to take that [bleep] thing to meals, and I had to have it physically on my person, in my lap or across my chest, while I ate. Of course I had to memorize the serial number, take it to the restroom, blah blah blah. But what I hated most was eating with it across my chest.

I don't have an AR. I may get one someday.

If I were to get an AR I would check out Noveske or Wilson Combat.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/11/15
I'm tempted to buy it simply because it drives Hillary and the libtards crazy that Americans can do so.

The reason I bought one was a black big middle finger to Emperor O'Malley of Maryland. I shot the M-4 in the service, and shot it very well, but for the hunting I do it's not something I need. Heck, I even bought a couple 30 round magazines in PA to makes sure the (former governor and presidential hopeful (God help us))knew how little respect I had for his totalitarian regime.
Posted By: dogzapper Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/11/15

I own a Noveske Thunder Ranch.

The accuracy will drive you crazy. There is no way on earth that a semi-auto should shoot so danged well.

Yes, you absolutely need an AR-15.

Steve

Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/11/15
I have fooled considerably with both Noveskes and Wilsons. Both will outshoot most shooters--but even my "no-frills" Bushmaster shoots accurately enough for prairie dogs at 300+ yards.

They are also useful for coyote and feral pig hunting.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/11/15
not to mention that AR's are the consummate American rifle.

Don't mention it. They aren't even in the top 10 list.

Think about the rifles that set us apart from the Crown, or settled affairs with the American Indians. Ponder what our troops carried in WW1, WW2, and Korea.

AR's are tools little more. There is nothing glamorous about them. Their hearts are black, souls smeared with blood. They look silly with a bayonet mounted.

Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/11/15
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have fooled considerably with both Noveskes and Wilsons. Both will outshoot most shooters--but even my "no-frills" Bushmaster shoots accurately enough for prairie dogs at 300+ yards.

They are also useful for coyote and feral pig hunting.

^^^ This^^^

I own a Les Baer Super Varmint AR15 that is SCARY Accurate, and is also the most accurate rifle I own. If i do my part, 1/4" 5 shot groups @ 100 yards are not really all that hard to do.

But like Mule Deer stated, I am continually amazed at just how accurate my cheap little Bushmaster M-4 Carbine and also my Remington R-15 are, even with cheap factory ammo. My dedicated AR-15 Truck gun that I use at the Ranch has accounted for countless feral hogs, coyotes, and even some deer.
It's a Bushmaster Optics Ready flattop Carbine with a Leupold 3x9 AR Scope. It will shoot 1" 5 shot groups with the Factory Winchester Supreme Ammo with the 55 grain Ballistic Silvertip loading.
IMO, every red blooded American ought to own at least one AR-15 smile
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/11/15
Get 'em while you can. We are always only one event away from severe restrictions.

Posted By: rj112275 Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/11/15
Here in west Tennessee, I have deer rifles that will kill the hogs and predators. no need for a 5.56. Home protection is either a handgun or 12 gauge. No real need here for an AR. Spend that money on something else that you'll use in a caliber you already own.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/11/15
Must be a real bish to have to live where there aren't prairie dogs, and such.......
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/11/15
Originally Posted by rj112275
Here in west Tennessee, I have deer rifles that will kill the hogs and predators. no need for a 5.56. Home protection is either a handgun or 12 gauge. No real need here for an AR. Spend that money on something else that you'll use in a caliber you already own.

Being an idiot is easy to some..
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/11/15
Well get it if you want, nothing wrong with them at all. Can be a hunting rifle if legal in your state and you know what bullet etc. For myself I carried and was issued one many many times. Shot expert with them. However I do not own one and would not really be in the market.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/11/15
Originally Posted by TwentyTwo
No, I don't own an AR-15 or any other semi-automatic centerfire rifle. I'm a retiree and a reloader, so chasing and losing brass that flies hither, thither and wherever is just too much fuss and pain for me. If I were a rural resident, an AR-15's combat capabilities might make it desirable household equipment.

You buy a $17.00 brass catcher from Midway.You don`t even have to bend over to pick them up. wink
Posted By: TwentyTwo Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/11/15
Huntz, thank you for posting about Midway's $17 brass catcher. That could be a handy accessory!

Posted By: Huntz Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/11/15
Originally Posted by TwentyTwo
Huntz, thank you for posting about Midway's $17 brass catcher. That could be a handy accessory!

Sure,this is what I use.Even cheaper than a couple years ago.Huntz

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/26...er-nylon-mesh-black?cm_vc=ProductFinding
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/11/15
Mixed emotions here regarding an AR-15. I had one (very very early 3-digit serial number w/ Colt 3x scope) a couple decades ago, played with it for a while (pretty much MOA accuracy when scope was utilized), got bored with it and sold it. I never dreamed that there would be such a brouhaha over them or I might've kept it (or not). Now my tastes run squarely toward primarily pre-war sporting arms with which I hunt with too. I certainly don't entertain a desire for large capacity semi-automatic military rifles. But, that said I find myself casting sidelong glances at them and think maybe I should get one just for the heck of it. Like my fellow Marylander Pugs just said, more to flip off the antis than for any other reason. Even still, it would probably just gather dust from disuse.
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/11/15
Originally Posted by IAE_pilot
They are a great little rifle... Reasonably accurate, easy to handload for, easy to clean, and politically incorrect to the nth degree.

This. And they are fun to build with parts bought online!
Posted By: Magnum_Man Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/13/15
More times than not, people who don't care for AR's have never owned or shot one. That disqualifies their opinion to me on the spot. It is why the liberal left has no value, imput wise to me. They hate things they don't understand or never have experienced to make an intelligent decision on. Buy the AR, shoot it. Use up atleast 500 rds and then make a intelligent decision on whether you like it or not, whether to keep or resell it.The cost in the end will be insignificant compared to many other experiences one can have in life. I have 2 and bldg. a third. Magnum Man
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/13/15
Originally Posted by hunting1
"I'm tempted to buy it simply because it drives Hillary and the libtards crazy that Americans can do so. "

It never hurts to have weaponry capable of firing your 'enemies' ammunition either.
Posted By: krupp Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/13/15
It sounds like your pros outweigh the cons by a mile.

and they are practically giving them away.
Other than "fun", what would they be used for? I have used them three or four times at the range but can't justify buying one myself. I don't care for semi-auto pistols or deer rifles either, and strongly prefer traditional 22-250 for ground hogs and crows.

What else would a semi .223 be used for?
Posted By: Daveman Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/13/15
Originally Posted by RexM
Other than "fun", what would they be used for? I have used them three or four times at the range but can't justify buying one myself. I don't care for semi-auto pistols or deer rifles either, and strongly prefer traditional 22-250 for ground hogs and crows.

This articulates my dilemma fairly well. My existing gun battery covers the spectrum of my existing needs. On the other hand, I do not have an AR, found a great deal on one, and can afford it. There are a number of great posts on this thread suggesting why an AR is a good idea. I have a strong feeling that one is going to head my way this week.
Posted By: jimred Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/13/15
Carried an M-16A1 for work for a couple of years. AR's to me are just a piece of stamped, plastic machinery. You can have 'em.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/13/15
Am I the only person who does NOT own an AR now?

I don't have one, either.

I've thought about it. DPMS 18" barreled .308 is a lot more interesting to me than any semi-auto .223.

Not sure what I'd use it for and there are things I would definitely use that I haven't bought yet so an AR hasn't made it to the top of the priority list.

Tom
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/13/15
Originally Posted by gunner500

It never hurts to have weaponry capable of firing your 'enemies' ammunition either.

I had an AR upper that shot the "enemy's round", also had a Ruskie SKS with folding pig sticker. Got bored with both and sold them.

I have a .300 Whisper with a can, both from J.D. Jones, not a knock off. And I have a .223 Olympus upper, both on Colt lower units I bought some years ago from CDNN for around $250 each.

I visited my son in NW AR over Easter. He and his buds love AR's, he has a tricked out Rock River. He told me they refer to guys like us as Fudds, as in Elmer Fudd. A Fudd is on older guy (older than them/30's or so) who likes bolt guns and classic stuff, like double guns.

So, I have AR's but don't like them as much as Fudd guns. I have a custom Ranch Rifle with SS barrel and action job. It shoots as good or better than my custom AR's and feels more like a rifle to me.

That does sound like a Fudd... shocked

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/13/15
Ole Elmer Fudd, slipping up on that pesky wabbit... grin

He'd be a natural here on the Fire... cool

DF

[Linked Image]
Posted By: leomort Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/14/15
No, I don't own an AR either. I lived in Pennsylvania for most of my life and it's illegal to hunt with a semi-auto rifle or semi auto handgun. So I got use to not using a semi-auto rifle for hunting.

Another reason is that I'm south paw so still not sure if I'd want to go with a left hand version of an AR15 or learn to adapt to a right handed AR15. So never took the plunge.

Living in Pennsylvania and now moved to Indiana, there's not a lot of varmint hunting opportunities.

The 223rem is s cheap and economical round to shoot but not sure what use I have for it other than a fun plinker.

I'm also not too keen on semi auto firearms fling my brass all over and having to pick it up. Now that I'm getting into reloading, I'm even more conscious over losing my brass.
Posted By: Campboss Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/14/15
Buy It! I just purchased my first AR and I'm now kicking myself for waiting so long.
Posted By: Freddy Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/14/15
I felt the sameway after I bought mine, I purchased a Rock River Lar 15 with a 16" barrel. I made up a handload that shot a 1 3/4 inch group at 300 yards.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/14/15
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Must be a real bish to have to live where there aren't prairie dogs, and such.......

It is. We try to compensate with odds'n ends, imports and such. It's tough to see a python at 300 yards though.
Posted By: deflave Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/14/15
Originally Posted by leomort
No, I don't own an AR either. I lived in Pennsylvania for most of my life and it's illegal to hunt with a semi-auto rifle or semi auto handgun. So I got use to not using a semi-auto rifle for hunting.

Another reason is that I'm south paw so still not sure if I'd want to go with a left hand version of an AR15 or learn to adapt to a right handed AR15. So never took the plunge.

Living in Pennsylvania and now moved to Indiana, there's not a lot of varmint hunting opportunities.

The 223rem is s cheap and economical round to shoot but not sure what use I have for it other than a fun plinker.

I'm also not too keen on semi auto firearms fling my brass all over and having to pick it up. Now that I'm getting into reloading, I'm even more conscious over losing my brass.

Very lefty friendly.

Brass catchers are cheap and work great at the range. I lose brass from bolts and AR's when out killing schit but you will certainly lose more from an AR than a bolt or lever.

If you have any desire to own or try one, now is the time. Supply is off the fuggin' charts and demand is likely at a 5 year low.

Travis
Posted By: deflave Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/14/15
Originally Posted by RexM

Steel at 1,000yds.

Steel at 50yds.

Prairie dogs.

Coyote calling.

Truck gun.

Three gun.

Getting drunk and shooting tannerite at 100yds.

Getting more drunk and shooting tannerite at 15yds.

Pigs.

Deer.

Field mice.

Zombies.

Looking stupid.

Looking awesome.

Should I continue????

Travis
Posted By: g5m Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/14/15
Yes, you ought to buy it. For the above reasons as well as a good many others. And, if you really don't like it you can always move it on.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/14/15
if you don't buy one you will be in the 1% of the people in the entire country that does not have at least one of them plus a bazillion rounds of soon to be banned overly penetrative/evil/"O the humanity of it all" M855 ammunition.
Posted By: WillARights Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/14/15
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I had an AR upper that shot the "enemy's round", also had a Ruskie SKS with folding pig sticker. Got bored with both and sold them.

I have a .300 Whisper with a can, both from J.D. Jones, not a knock off. And I have a .223 Olympus upper, both on Colt lower units I bought some years ago from CDNN for around $250 each.

I visited my son in NW AR over Easter. He and his buds love AR's, he has a tricked out Rock River. He told me they refer to guys like us as Fudds, as in Elmer Fudd. A Fudd is on older guy (older than them/30's or so) who likes bolt guns and classic stuff, like double guns.

So, I have AR's but don't like them as much as Fudd guns. I have a custom Ranch Rifle with SS barrel and action job. It shoots as good or better than my custom AR's and feels more like a rifle to me.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
]

Dirt,

Who makes that rail?

Is it a Weig, or a GG&G maybe?
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/14/15
I was a bit on the fence with AR's, but the day Obama was elected I cheered myself up and bought a Rem R 15. I saw they were flying off the shelf so the next day picked up a Bushmaster ORC.
The R 15 pumps Hornady factory 55gr V Max loads into shockingly small groups and has become one of my favorite rifles.
My vote is buy.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/14/15
I bought mine in 2007, after the price went down again when the panic subsided from his first election. I'd shot a few before and hadn't been that excited, but decided I needed to really use one and find out what the deal was about. It's not my favorite rifle, but did find it's very useful for certain purposes--and quite accurate.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/14/15
Originally Posted by WillARights

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
]

Dirt,

Who makes that rail?

Is it a Weig, or a GG&G maybe?

I got it from Brownells.

Will have to check to see who made it.

DF
http://www.brownells.com/optics-mou...-ranch-rifle-optic-mounts-prod42104.aspx

GG&G.

DF
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/14/15
Ole Elmer Fudd, slipping up on that pesky wabbit... grin

He'd be a natural here on the Fire... cool

DF

[Linked Image]

Here in Canada, the term 'Fudd' is used as a perjorative. For some reason, it's okay not to like BP rifles, single shots, pumps, lever rifles or bolt actions. No one calls you names. BUT...say that you don't like ARs and you get labeled a Fudd.

Up here 'Fudd' means you are an older, self centred hunter who doesn't think camo should be worn (except for the army). You don't particularly care for handguns, autoloaders of any kind (but oddly, autoloading shotguns are okay), or anyone under 50. It was originally used in a kind way, denoting hunters as a decent, caring group, living a simpler life before crazy gun laws. For us, that changed about 35 years ago.

One of the bad things that came from the fighting to dump the Canadian gun registry was that shooters have unintentionally split themselves into factions. Fudds aren't welcome, I guess.

I don't care for the term, but I also don't care for autoloading shotguns or pump rifles. That's okay apparently. No one calls me names.

As for the AR platform, I was an armourer in the service for over 20 years and do not care for them, but that's a personal thing. My taste in firearms is different, and has nothing to do with the movies, wannabes, bad press, or Mr. Zumbo.

You should buy what you want and to hell with everyone else.

(This small rant was brought to you be the letter 3, and the number B.)
laugh

Steve,

Thanks for the clarification. The first time I heard the term "Fudd" was from my son, and it wasn't directing at me, just information. And that's Northwest Arkansas, not Canada.

Evidently his generation loves black guns, etc. and thinks those who like older style guns aren't that "cool".

I think it's pretty funny, the more I think about it... grin

Generational stuff isn't all bad... cool

DF
Posted By: tmitch Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/14/15
Bought one when 0 became prez. Played with it, pimped it out but never found a niche for it in my battery. Kept it for defense 'till an M1 carbine followed me home. Sold the AR. Just never warmed up to it.
laugh

Steve,

Thanks for the clarification. The first time I heard the term "Fudd" was from my son, and it wasn't directing at me, just information. And that's Northwest Arkansas, not Canada.

Evidently his generation loves black guns, etc. and thinks those who like older style guns aren't that "cool".

DF

I don't know if it has the same negative meaning down your way. Fudd is the kind of word some people use when arguing their side of how or what the gun rules should be. It happens a lot at clubs. The fellow with whom you are talking is older, and likely making points. Often, he is on the board.

In frustration you hear,

"All you damn fudds are the same. You think you know everything!"

At that moment, 'the fudd' smiles. He has made his point, whatever is was, and won.

You should ask your son what the term means to him. I would be interested to hear. smile
Posted By: WillARights Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/14/15

Thanks Dirt!!
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/14/15
I've got 2 regrets when it comes to owning an AR. 1) I didn't buy one sooner and 2) I only own one.

I plan on buying one for the wife and I might build it for her instead of having it built by someone else.
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
laugh

Steve,

DF

I don't know if it has the same negative meaning down your way. Fudd is the kind of word some people use when arguing their side of how or what the gun rules should be. It happens a lot at clubs. The fellow with whom you are talking is older, and likely making points. Often, he is on the board.

In frustration you hear,

"All you damn fudds are the same. You think you know everything!"

At that moment, 'the fudd' smiles. He has made his point, whatever is was, and won.

You should ask your son what the term means to him. I would be interested to hear. smile

My sense, he doesn't have much buy in either way, just giving his dear ole Dad a heads up on what he's hearing from his shooting peers. It was matter of fact, sorta FYI, with a chuckle... grin

I thought it was pretty funny, too... smile

I could just picture ole Elmer slipping around, loaded for wabbit... whistle

DF
Posted By: sherp Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/14/15
http://bearingarms.com/dont-be-a-fudd/

"According to the Urban Dictionary, a “Fudd” is a, “Slang term for a “casual” gun owner; eg; a person who typically only owns guns for hunting or shotgun sports and does not truly believe in the true premise of the second amendment. These people also generally treat owners/users of so called “non sporting” firearms like handguns or semiautomatic rifles with unwarranted scorn or contempt.”"
The only issue I take with that definition is that most of the people that qualify as fudds (where I live anyway) own a hockey sock full of guns. Mind you, I'm in Canada. I believe the Urban Dictionary is American.

That said, the people that label them as such do many stupid things to grab attention. It makes you want to shake your head.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/15/15
Yeah, I have way too many guns in various non-P.C. categories and cherish the Second Ammendment way to much to fit that Fudd definition... shocked

DF
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/15/15
"Fudd" Ouch.. Is there such a thing as a "Red Neck" Fudd? Sounds like that might be me. Support Second Amendment but have hunting background outside of the 20 years I spent with an AR platform..
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/15/15
Fudd "I don't care if they ban semi-autos, pistols etc, so long as they don't ban my one bolt action hunting rifle, it's no concern of mine"

Fudds also vote for Obama and his ilk.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/15/15
Canadian Fudd "So you want to have sex Gracie, eh? Ok, but we have to do it doggie style so we can both watch the hockey game"
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/15/15
Sounds like a solution to a problem.. Hockey can be important, but passing up on...............
Posted By: Huntz Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/15/15
The only issue I take with that definition is that most of the people that qualify as fudds (where I live anyway) own a hockey sock full of guns. Mind you, I'm in Canada. I believe the Urban Dictionary is American.

That said, the people that label them as such do many stupid things to grab attention. It makes you want to shake your head.

Geez, I thought everyone on this Continent is American.US American ,Canadian American,Mexican American.I don`t get Afro American though???
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/15/15
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Fudd "I don't care if they ban semi-autos, pistols etc, so long as they don't ban my one bolt action hunting rifle, it's no concern of mine"

Fudds also vote for Obama and his ilk.

Sherp definition Fudds, maybe.

Redneck Fudds, NO WAY...

DF
Posted By: efw Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/15/15
I am a thru-&-thru Fudd. I traded a precision bolt rifle for an M-4 configured AR and it took me quite a while but I've really warmed up to it.

It's a Stag Arms lower and mixed upper; i don't even know where the barrel was made. It was easy to get shooting and once I learned here that they're meant to be run wet I really got it GOING.

Now no range visit is complete without the satisfying ring of steel at 100-300 yds as I run through a few 30 round mags.

My goal this fall is to kill a doe with it. I am told the 70 gr Speer is a great deer bullet and it shoots beautifully. The 64 gr Noz Bonded Solid Base is another but I've yet to work up a load.

Buy it I doubt you'd regret it.
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/15/15
I think people in Canada would be North Americans. People living in the US would be South Americans.

Wait a minute, 'South American' has already been taken. Never mind. smile
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/15/15
They would call me Fuddiusmaxximus if I started belching black powder smoke from a Sharps. shocked ROR!
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/15/15
Keep on hoping all y'all and the rest of America buys ARs. In the main the guns are capable. Most of the owners are not, or so my experience tells me.

God bless the panicked hoards for they keep the industry going and going and going...

Didja hear about the Energizer Bunny? He faces a charge of battery.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/15/15
And you'll have all of us covered with your flinters, we ain't gonna run out of rocks anytime soon. wink
Posted By: Odessa Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/15/15

You should buy what you want and to hell with everyone else.

Sums it up pretty well.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/15/15
AR15 craze today is sort of reminiscent of my Dad's generation, when everyone owned a A303 or a 1917, or maybe even a Garand. Everyone needs at least one of each!
Posted By: Lar68 Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/15/15
If you like firearms as I assume most on this forum do, I’d buy an AR. I’m an old guy by most standards but my safe has several ARs in a couple calibers. All of them will shoot much better than I do. The only one not scoped is my “defense” rifle and it has a red dot on it. For the past several years the ARs were the only rifles I shot or hunted with (mostly coyotes). They tend to be accurate to very accurate, are easy to modify and scope.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/15/15
Originally Posted by Lar68
If you like firearms as I assume most on this forum do, I’d buy an AR. I’m an old guy by most standards but my safe has several ARs in a couple calibers. All of them will shoot much better than I do. The only one not scoped is my “defense” rifle and it has a red dot on it. For the past several years the ARs were the only rifles I shot or hunted with (mostly coyotes). They tend to be accurate to very accurate, are easy to modify and scope.

Agreed. But most of us that like AR's are not capable.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/15/15
Yep, keep on rockin' as the song sez.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/15/15
I do not own an AR and go back and forth on the idea. I currently do not own a pistol either. Have owned plenty of pistols in past and never found a sporting use for them other than bear "protection" when worked in Alaska. Am tempted by a nice AR and a custom 1911. Have no foreseeable legitimate need for either. Slowly warming up to the idea that an AR with 1000 rounds of ammo squirreled away is not the worst part of a disaster plan. Would hate to be the dumbass that didn't buy one when they were 800 bucks and have some type of need when a disaster occur that requires a combat style weapon.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/17/15
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Get 'em while you can. We are always only one event away from severe restrictions.

Or one black-robed SCOTUS jackass.
Bought an AR just for the reasons Bonefish describes.. plus a bunch of ammo.. As for pistols, they are a part of my everyday life.. Don't move without them.. As for sporting use, they are fun, for plinking, varmint shooting, busting rocks.. Couldn't be without 'em.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/19/15
The 62 TTSX over 26.5-27 grains of TAC works pretty good. Of course someone may say this to you in a whining tone of voice "you shot your deer with that little bullet, and its layin over there dead with no blood trail, I shot mine with my 30-06, blood everywhere and we can't find the deer" you can add "it's not fair" if your so inclined. Savage99 please ignore as you don't know the head from the Arse.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/19/15
Can't remember the charge weight but a max load of CFE-223 pushes the little 55 gr TSX out of my 16" mid-length at a bit over 2900 fps, that buzzsaw would have to work hell on a set of deer lungs. wink
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: Should I Buy An AR? - 04/19/15
Get one. At the least, hang it on the wall behind the head chair in the dining room when your relatives come over to eat.
© 24hourcampfire