Home
My hunting partner lost the chance for a 6 point bull two years ago because his finger was touching the trigger of his Rem 700 when he released the safety. The rifle discharged before he intended and was a clean miss. After discussing this issue at length he asked me if a replacement trigger would solve this problem. I told him I thought it would but then I got to wondering if that is correct.
It might....

But so would:

Cleaning the trigger up and having it adjusted by a competent gunsmith and...

Keeping his finger off it till he is ready for it to go 'bang'

There is a definite correlation between finger on trigger and 'bang'.
If the booger hooker is on the shoe, prior to target engagement...no trigger on the planet will fix that. I'd suggest more range time and learning the platform over blaming the factory trigger.
Originally Posted by hangmancreek
My hunting partner lost the chance for a 6 point bull two years ago because his finger was touching the trigger of his Rem 700 when he released the safety. The rifle discharged before he intended and was a clean miss. After discussing this issue at length he asked me if a replacement trigger would solve this problem. I told him I thought it would but then I got to wondering if that is correct.

"I don't think so Tim," as Al said to the"Toolman".
can't fix stupid
As far as I know, Jim Corbett was the only hunter to deliberately push the safety off while pulling on the trigger when aiming at a big game animal. The animal was a man-eating tiger sleeping only a few feet away, and Corbett knew the click of the safety would wake it up. So he held the trigger back firmly and pushed the safety off. Bang! Dead tiger!

Doesn't usually work at longer ranges, though it might if somebody really practiced. But dunno of any trigger made that won't allow the rifle to go bang if you're pulling the trigger when pushing the safety off.
A new trigger will not correct a faulty technique....
Ingwe
This is just between you and me, and no one else on the Campfire, but your pithy answers, as point on as they tend to be, have much more credibility when accompanied by the pictures of big bosomed, semi clad beauties that you used to post with your answers.
I mention this only in the hopes of advancing the science of ballistics.

Fred
What Fred said!

As to the OP, here's the way I see the chain of events:

1) place finger on trigger
2) then take safety off
3) gun goes bang the instant safety is off
4) it's gotta be trigger's fault.
5) it can't be my fault.

REALLY???

Don't blame the trigger when it's operator error. I would suggest learning the proper SAFE use of arms BEFORE going into the field or range. Safety FIRST---ALWAYS!

-mike-
There you go.
1) place finger on trigger
2) then take safety off
3) gun goes bang the instant safety is off
4) it's gotta be trigger's fault.
5) it can't be my fault.

I expect this is what happens most of the time. I am not saying all, before y'all jump me. miles
And or the trigger has been coon fingered with.
Originally Posted by Royce
Ingwe
This is just between you and me, and no one else on the Campfire, but your pithy answers, as point on as they tend to be, have much more credibility when accompanied by the pictures of big bosomed, semi clad beauties that you used to post with your answers.
I mention this only in the hopes of advancing the science of ballistics.

Fred

Fred......"pithy".....

Words hurt.

But Im over it! laugh

Heres one for you! Since today fishing season opened!

[Linked Image]

New meaning to "where the sun don't shine......".
pithy |ˈpiTHē|
adjective (pithier, pithiest)
1 (of language or style) concise and forcefully expressive.

That shouldn't have hurt smile
If his finger was actually on the trigger and it fired then replacing it won't matter. But you had better believe they will at times fire without touching it.

I'd replace it just for peace of mind.
I put my first Timney on my most recent 700 and wondered the same thing, so I tried it, on an empty chamber, of course. Can't speak for all triggers, but with Shilen and Timney triggers, if you are squeezing the trigger when you take the safety off, the firing pin will release.

John
Originally Posted by Royce
pithy |ˈpiTHē|
adjective (pithier, pithiest)
1 (of language or style) concise and forcefully expressive.

That shouldn't have hurt smile

Maybe he thought you were lithping.
© 24hourcampfire