Home
Posted By: bea175 What Happened to Dan L Flores - 05/23/15
Dan Flores used to write Varmint Hunting Articles and about rifle and ammo for hunting them. What happened to him ? I loved reading his articles back in the 70's.
He got a Ph.D. and eventually became a history professor at the University of Montana. He published 8 books and numerous magazine articleson western history, retiring last year.

I know this partly because about 20 years ago I was invited to a book signing for western Montana authors at a big bookstore in Bozeman. (Believe this was after publishing my flyfishing book, MONTANA TIME, but wouldn't swear to it.) There were maybe a dozen authors, and Dan Flores was one. After we were introduced I mentioned reading his shooting articles, and he said, "Man, that was a long time ago!"
I too remember him and enjoyed his writing.

JB nailed it. He was working on his Masters Degree at Northwestern State College(now university) in Natchitoches, La., while doing his gun writing. Got his PHD at Texas A&M? Taught at Texas Tech for years before transfering to the University of Montana.

He was born in Vivian, La., also hometown to a rather well known duck hunter.
Originally Posted by websterparish47
I too remember him and enjoyed his writing.

JB nailed it. He was working on his Masters Degree at Northwestern State College(now university) in Natchitoches, La., while doing his gun writing. Got his PHD at Texas A&M? Taught at Texas Tech for years before transfering to the University of Montana.

He was born in Vivian, La., also hometown to a rather well known duck hunter.

Shelby Stanga?????
He was a big fan of the 220 Swift, 22-250 and the 243 Win.
Originally Posted by bea175

In other words he did not like any good calibers? grin
.25-06 & .264 Magnum also.
As I remember some of his articles, he was fond of the .270 as well, using it as a varmint rifle from time to time.
Also the .25-06 and .264 Winchester Magnum.
Was just thinking about him the other day.. He also wrote a fine article on rifles for wild turkey.. The Swift was one of his picks.. Thanks for the update!!
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
As I remember some of his articles, he was fond of the .270 as well, using it as a varmint rifle from time to time.

The 270 was one of my favorite for long range groundhog hunting. I built one just for this purpose. I use a full bull Douglass SS 27 inch barrel, Remington Short 700 action made into a single shot, two oz 40 X Trigger with a straight Leupold 16 power scope, the rifle weight was around 15 lb's but dam it would shoot five shot into a clover leaf , group after group with the Hornady 110 gr HP and IMR 4350, many a hog went to the big clover patch in the sky because of this rifle.
Originally Posted by bea175

I remember an article he wrote on building a 25-06 on a post Win 64 action having a gunsmith set the action into a pre-64 stock. His barrel choice was a Douglas stainless 26" heavy barrel. His goal was a long range "Marmot" killer. I also recall Dan writing that when the wind was blowing his go to caliber was the .270.

Dan was a young writer at the time and very talented.

Doc
He has a great article in the latest issue of Wild West magazine about the Pronghorn from a historical perspective.
© 24hourcampfire