Home
wife's new 6.5 creedmoor shoots the hornady factory load well. how do they perform on deer 50-300 yards?
I was very impressed with the 105 amax on a good size whitetail.
140gr Amax from a 264, distance was about 75 yards. Stopped on the offside shoulder (I think it was against the hide)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've seen them work on other deer and one bear.
scott would it be your first choice to use?
I've only killed a couple hundred with AMAX's, yet in a Creedmor the factory 140's would more then likely be my first and last stop.
What I seen in a 162 amax in a 7-08 , it would be the low end of my choices
PM me if you are looking for more factory ammo. I've got at least 5 boxes of 140gr MAX I'd happily sell.
No, because I like speed when shooting deer. But it's not because I don't think they'll work. Of course I ain't killed a couple hundred with the 140gr Amax so I'd bypass anything I say and just listen for Formadilicieououiessis
Some like splashy, some don't. I like a bit on the soft side.
I plan on trying them this year out of a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Nathan Foster, who has probably done more practical cartridge research than anyone on the planet, is a fan. Scroll down to find his comments:

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/6.5x55.html
Based on my vast experience, (two deer) I like them a lot. Both literally laid down and never moved again.
If your Wife's rifle will shoot the 129 grain Interbond factory ammo, I think that I'd opt for a little more speed combined with a bullet that was designed for hunting, rather than punching paper.

That said, the 140 grain Hornady and Winchester/Olin factory ammo shoots great groups in my 6.5 Creedmoor rifles and since any 140 grain bullet through the lungs isn't is a love tap, I'd feel OK using them to kill deer.
It wouldn't be my first choice. Depending on how your rifle shoots them, I'd prefer Berger 140s, but they will be more than sufficient for rib cage shots.
Originally Posted by Woodhits

Nathan Foster, who has probably done more practical cartridge research than anyone on the planet, is a fan. Scroll down to find his comments:

Big fan of 140 NPT's and 120 TTSX too..
A lot of guys swear by the 120 TSX- I've used the 130 TSX with success. I head shot a doe with the 140 AMAX from a 260 last year but that doesn't really count.
The Hornady 162 gr A-Max is the bullet i will be using in my 7x57 this coming deer season
I was a big fan of the 120 TTSX until I started losing tips last year. Unchambering a round with the tip hanging by a thread made my ass pucker. Onto 130 NAB's for now, if they don't shoot how I want then old skool TSX.
123 amax does very well on deer

outstanding accuracy too
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
I've only killed a couple hundred with AMAX's, yet in a Creedmor the factory 140's would more then likely be my first and last stop.

This is good to know because I have a Creedmoor on the way and don't want to work hard at it....in fact other than shoot it, I don't wanna work at it at all. smile

Originally Posted by Woodhits

His comments on the 140 NPT are interesting.
Foster is, in my opinion, a treasure. His books are worth checking out as well, I've learned something from each of them.
© 24hourcampfire