Home
L3F, "Slice of the Wild" recommends sour cream for fat to help game burgers stick together.

Have you ever tried mayonnaise in place of sour cream? If so how'd you like it? I am grilling elk burgers tonight, and I used olive oil because I was out of sour cream, but I didn't think of the mayo until later.

Thanks for the great cookbook! For those that don't have any idea what I'm asking about I recommend Eileen's book, "Slice of the Wild". I'm pretty sure you can still get one at John's website, but I didn't check. It's a great cookbook if you eat game meat, and if you hunt I don't know why you wouldn't eat game meat.
I've never tried mayo with ground venison, but since it's almost all oil I can't imagine it wouldn't work.
As for Slice of the Wild, we just reprinted it, so we have lots at our website.
www.riflesandrecipes.com
Have a great dinner!
Leenie3Freezers
A trick I use, especially when making fresh sausage, meatloaf, etc. is to grind boneless chicken thighs including the skin with the venison. The fat in the thighs and under the skin, adds moisture and flavor. Makes a good burger too.
Thanks to you both!

The burgers were pretty tasty. An added bonus were some garden tomatoes for topping.
© 24hourcampfire