Home
Posted By: msquared Armadillo Gun Advice - 07/31/15
Since almost every other conceivable subject has been covered, perhaps some of our Campfire members can give this man some advice on what firearm and/or ammo to use the next time he faces an armadillo!:

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/texas-man-shoots-armadillo-gets-hit-face-bullet-214656503.html

Texas man shoots armadillo, gets hit in face by bullet ricochet
By Lisa Maria Garza | Reuters – 6 hours ago

DALLAS (Reuters) - An East Texas man was wounded after he fired a gun at an armadillo in his yard and the bullet ricocheted back to hit him in his face, the county sheriff said on Friday.

Cass County Sheriff Larry Rowe said the man, who was not identified, went outside his home in Marietta, southwest of Texarkana, at around 3 a.m. on Thursday morning. He spotted the armadillo on his property and opened fire.

"His wife was in the house. He went outside and took his .38 revolver and shot three times at the armadillo," Rowe said.

The animal's hard shell deflected at least one of three bullets, which then struck the man's jaw, he said.

The man was airlifted to a nearby hospital, where his jaw was wired shut, according to Rowe.

The status of the animal is unknown.

"We didn't find the armadillo," the sheriff said.

(Editing by Jon Herskovitz and Sandra Maler)
Posted By: cdb Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/01/15
A baseball bat works well. Seriously.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/01/15
I've killed a mountain of them with a 22 rimfire. Never had one deflect a bullet.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/01/15
Originally Posted by TheKid
I've killed a mountain of them with a 22 rimfire. Never had one deflect a bullet.

Exactly! That bullet didn't deflect from the armadillo.
Posted By: ringworm Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/01/15
[Linked Image]
Posted By: milespatton Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/01/15

As have I. The results are more spectacular with a .22 mag though. miles
Posted By: doubletap Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/01/15
Sounds like a reason to build a custom. Not many can claim to have a custom built armadillo rifle. Maybe a center-fire equivalent to the .22 mag.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/01/15
22 super colibri all the time here, and if not that, cci sub sonic pre frag ammo if they ever make the stuff agian, through a can...
Posted By: deflave Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/01/15
Originally Posted by msquared
Since almost every other conceivable subject has been covered, perhaps some of our Campfire members can give this man some advice on what firearm and/or ammo to use the next time he faces an armadillo!:

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/texas-man-shoots-armadillo-gets-hit-face-bullet-214656503.html

DALLAS (Reuters) - An East Texas man was wounded after he fired a gun at an armadillo in his yard and the bullet ricocheted back to hit him in his face, the county sheriff said on Friday.

Cass County Sheriff Larry Rowe said the man, who was not identified, went outside his home in Marietta, southwest of Texarkana, at around 3 a.m. on Thursday morning. He spotted the armadillo on his property and opened fire.

"His wife was in the house. He went outside and took his .38 revolver and shot three times at the armadillo," Rowe said.

The animal's hard shell deflected at least one of three bullets, which then struck the man's jaw, he said.

The man was airlifted to a nearby hospital, where his jaw was wired shut, according to Rowe.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: sharpsguy Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/01/15
These Texas armadillos are tough. A 45-70 is about right. Seriously, a 40-65 with a 248 grain cast flat nosed bullet or a 58 Hawken and a .570 round ball will turn one into a red mist. Don't shoot one too close to your pickup truck, as the mist is very hard to wash off he paint.
Posted By: 4winds Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/01/15
Wife shot him in the jaw, possibly?
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/01/15
I have only shot one armadillo, which was charging my hunting partner after being wounded by a .22 Long Rifle bullet in the wrong place. My .22 MAGNUM stopped the charge cold.

The best advice I've ever heard about armadillos came from an old friend who was a lifelong hunting and fishing guide in Florida: "Some people say armadilla tastes like chicken, but the longer you chew it the more it tastes like armadilla."
Posted By: 4winds Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/01/15
They are the pop tarts of the animal kingdom once they collide with a fast moving piece of metal, or.......a tire!

Think I'd pass on the plate of leprosy!
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/01/15
I can tell you a .22 Hornet cracks 'em open pretty well. smile

Anybody know why the Armadillo crossed the road?

To show the 'possum it could be done smile
Posted By: msquared Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/01/15
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

The best advice I've ever heard about armadillos came from an old friend who was a lifelong hunting and fishing guide in Florida: "Some people say armadilla tastes like chicken, but the longer you chew it the more it tastes like armadilla."

Now, that's FUNNY!!!
Posted By: msquared Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/01/15
Originally Posted by 4winds

Yeah, you have to wonder what he was doing running around with a .38 at 3 a.m.!
Posted By: ringworm Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/01/15
My custom armidillo rifle is a sako vixen action in 5.7mm 26" helical fluted hbar, night force scope with laster and fliradapter.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/01/15
Originally Posted by deflave

[Linked Image]

Now that's Fing funny, Flave
Posted By: TATELAW Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/01/15

Yeah, you have to wonder what he was doing running around with a .38 at 3 a.m.!

I can tell you probably why he was up at 3 a.m. chasing an armadillo, I've BTDT. I used to have a bloodhound. When he was upset, this half of the county knew about. More than once he would go crazy after an armadillo in the middle of the night. The only solution was a dead armadillo!!
Posted By: 65X54 Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/01/15
No mystery to being up at 3 a.m. after an armadillo. When an armadillo is destroying a yard one does what needs doing. BTDT here also.... Thinking the bullet did not bounce off an armadillo though....
Posted By: Scott F Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/01/15
I have to confess I have never shot one but if I were to move back to armadillo country I would thing a 40 gr V-Max out of a 22 hornet would be rather fun.

The only thing I have used for killing armadillos was a 1960 Toyota Land Cruiser. It not only did the job it did to a lot of armadillos. There is even a pretty good story behind that but since I am not up on the statute of limitations for that adventure I shall remain silent.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/01/15
I suppose that after some beers, that rock looked a lot like an armadillo---
Posted By: vapodog Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/01/15

Actually, the one I BBQ'd tasted a lot like pork....and since then I've read they are a carrier of Leprosy.....so I don't eat them anymore.
Posted By: RaySendero Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/01/15
IME a 22LR 40gr lead bullet has gone thru every turtle and armadillo shell I've shot - Even out as far as 160 yds.

I don't believe a 38 bounced back.
May hit something else and bounced back!?

Posted By: mudhen Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/01/15
Originally Posted by TheKid

This!
Posted By: PaleRider Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/01/15

^^^^This^^^^

She told him to say it bounced off an Armadillo or she'd shoot him again.......... smirk grin
Posted By: Kellywk Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/01/15
Used a bow with a judo tip on one when I was a kid, got kind of interesting when I didn't get a complete pass through and the armadillo tried to run through a hog wire fence with 8 inches of arrow sticking out both sides
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/01/15
I've shot two with a bow.

The first was from a tree stand while bow hunting. The damn thing was making lots of noise and wouldn't move on. I let one go and it went through that sucker, into the ground on the far side; he flopped around and bent the thing like a pretzel (aluminum shaft).

You'd think I'd have learned a lesson but a year or so later I shot another one that was "butt-on" and the SOB ran off and into a hole with my arrow in tow. I could see it about five feet down the hole. Dammit!
Posted By: ColdCase1984 Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/01/15
Originally Posted by PaleRider

^^^^This^^^^

She told him to say it bounced off an Armadillo or she'd shoot him again.......... smirk grin

IME, folks come up with all kinds of super cool stories to make police think their self- or kin-inflicted GSWs occurred otherwise.

Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/01/15
At least it didn't over-penetrate.
Posted By: DwnRange Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/01/15
I killed 2 at the same time on Thursday morn using 2 shots (one each) of 70grn TSX from this rifle
[Linked Image]

Left them both gutted and feets up..... grin
Posted By: Mohawk Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/01/15
Originally Posted by vapodog

Actually, the one I BBQ'd tasted a lot like pork....and since then I've read they are a carrier of Leprosy.....so I don't eat them anymore.

They do taste a little like pork. They used to call them "Hoover Hogs" in East Texas back during the depression when Herbert Hoover was president. My Grand parents and allot of other people ate a heck of a bunch of them. Not to bad if someone knows how to cook them.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/01/15
Originally Posted by doubletap
Sounds like a reason to build a custom. Not many can claim to have a custom built armadillo rifle. Maybe a center-fire equivalent to the .22 mag.

That would effectively be a 22 Hornet.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/02/15
Originally Posted by mark shubert

Don't let the secrete out!
Posted By: doubletap Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/02/15
Originally Posted by mark shubert

You can't build a custom for a standard cartridge. It has to at least be an AI something. Haven't you been paying attention? laugh
Posted By: Scott F Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/02/15
My hornet is a K-hornet. Is that close enough? grin
Posted By: funshooter Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/02/15
I don't know but with that hard shell in may take my 45-90 to take one of those pesky critters down.

You can never have too much right.
Posted By: southwind Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/02/15
A buddy killed one with a lawn chair once, I mostly use my 10/22 but early this spring while out shed hunting I shot a single day farm record of 4 with my A4 carbine.

Father in law always uses his 30/30. He is the buzzards best friend.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/02/15
I have the numba one recipe for Armadillo. Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 300 Blackout.

125 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip.

DED Armadillo.

No bouncey back...No broken jaw.

Posted By: TLB2 Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/02/15
Ive killed a pile of them here with my Marlin 22mag. 22lr works great also.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/02/15
Originally Posted by milespatton

As have I. The results are more spectacular with a .22 mag though. miles

It is really spectacular with a soft lead 300 grainer from a .44 Mag at about 1600 fps.

Parts is parts...
Posted By: Hogeye Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/03/15
Might be an actual use for the crossbow pistol.

A bloodhound and a flint-tipped spear might be a good choice. Get you a loin cloth and a pair of moccassins, and hit the trail on moonlit nights. Kill it, defile the body, and go home singing the Hunter Song.

Wake your wife and tell her you want "possum on the half shell" for breakfast.

"I ain't real sure what happened next, Officer . . ."
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/03/15

Dillon, Phoenix, AZ.

'Dillers don't need to be winning these confrontations... cool

[Linked Image]
Posted By: funshooter Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/03/15
You win
That should work just fine.
Kirk's 'diller rifle:

[Linked Image]
Since dillers are nocturnal, you want a flash guard and really low flash ammo, because you'll want a night scope and . . .

I'm going with an air rifle. Crosman is selling a .25 (or .177 or .22 for the recoil sensitive) pcp that looks just like an AR and even accepts a lot of AR accessories. Add light and laser, and I'll never have to buy meat again.

Just remember the Diller Hunt Club motto. "If you like BBQ sauce, you can eat anything."
Check out the Armada at www.crosman.com !
Posted By: 358win Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/04/15
Not a rifle but my late father in-law's Armadillo solution was a load of #4 out his 12 gauge shotgun. Armadillo problem solved.

358win
Posted By: tripleshock Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/05/15
This one pegs out the bullschitt meter.
Posted By: Bighorn Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/06/15
My favorite armadillo gun and load is my .454 Casull, loaded up with 260 gr. JFP bullets at 1800 fps.
If you can sneak up on them, wait until they are facing away from you, and standing on their hind legs. A well-placed shot will separate their innards from the outer shell.
Never had a ricochet off an armadillo shell with the Casull.
Posted By: schoolmarm Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/06/15
180 gr hp out of a #1 .35 Whelen works very well. No "bounce backs" yet..
Posted By: EricS Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/06/15
Anything will work but most of them around here get F-150ed
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/06/15
Oh, sorry, I thought this was going to be like the "beaver gun" thread !

Carry on.
Posted By: CWT Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/07/15
17 HMR
Posted By: 1minute Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/07/15
I'd go with a 45-70 and 405 gr Gov slugs. The work well on bison and should handle a armadillo with ease.
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/07/15

It don't matter what gun you use to shoot a armadillo , just make sure you got a arma piercing bullet.

Mike
Posted By: Hogeye Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/07/15
And no ottermatics, them's fer otters.
Posted By: TERRY8mm Re: Armadillo Gun Advice - 08/08/15
The last one I shot was with Privi 170 gr. flat point .30-30. About 40 yards, it actually "popped", 'diller goo all over that hog feeder.
© 24hourcampfire