Home
Cabellas in Idaho Falls had bricks of 1000 for $20.00. They seem to only come in two versions small and large, used interchangably for rifle and pistol.

Has anyone used them? Anything one would need to know beyond just normal load workup? I'm thinking if nothing else they'll do OK for basic range ammo in my 9mm.
Rifle primers are deeper than pistol primers.

I have never used the Sellior and Bellot primers.
Posted By: mathman Re: Sellior and Bellot primers - 08/03/15
They are different for rifle and pistol applications.

http://www.sellier-bellot.cz/en/product/components/primers/

They have similar numbers, but different alphabetical suffixes.

I've used about two hundred S&B large rifle primers so far, and they are on the mild end *if* chronograph results indicate anything. Consistency and grouping results are right in there with others.

Then usual intensity and cup thickness differences between rifle and pistol primers aside, large rifle and large pistol primers and pockets are of different heights.
Well drat! I think I got the small rifle size. Why on earth does it say suitable for rifle, pistol, and revolver ammo right on the box?
I thought only large rifle and pistol primer pockets had different depths and small primer pockets were the same. Is this not hwy you can use pistol primers in Hornet brass?

Well now there's a good question!
Originally Posted by GunReader
I thought only large rifle and pistol primer pockets had different depths and small primer pockets were the same. Is this not hwy you can use pistol primers in Hornet brass?

That is correct. Small rifle/pistol are the same size. Large rifle is taller than large pistol, but same diameter.

S&B primers are marked "SR", "SP" etc on the box. I use the SR and SP versions, have not tried the large versions. They are OK for blasting or target ammo, but I've had a couple fail to fire out of the last 1,000, so I wouldn't personally use them for defense or hunting.
Posted By: colodog Re: Sellior and Bellot primers - 08/03/15
I was running low on Large Rifle primers when the current President was first elected, S&B was the only brand I could find anywhere so I bought the last 5000 Sinclair had.

They have been fine and I bought another brick since but am down to 1200.
I have several others brands as well but I'll be checking the local Cabelas, thanks for the "Heads Up"!
Posted By: Seafire Re: Sellior and Bellot primers - 08/04/15
I've been picking up a couple of boxes each time I go up to Potland on business.. since it is in Czech on the box, the morons at Cabelas don't know the difference.. they had large pistol mixed in with large rifle and small rifle mixed in with small pistol....

They are darn good primers and have given me good accurate consistent loads a lower prices...

Large rifle are labeled 5,3 LR Boxer

Large pistol are labeled 5,3 LP Boxer

Small Rifle are labeled 4,4 SR Boxer

and Small Pistol is labled 4,4 SP Boxer

That is the only thing on the box indicating what they are for, unless you read Czech...

at the top of the box it will read, Zapalky Primers, " for rilfe, Pistol, or revolver cartridges", which is really misleading for we Gringos...

hope this helps...
© 24hourcampfire