Home
Charlie:

I was reading the barrel chapter in your book "Selecting and Ordering a Custom Hunting Rifle" and have a question about the total barrel length recommendations for a given barrel contour. You recommended shorter total barrel lengths for smaller contours barrels, 20 inches for a #1 contour for example. The reasoning given was that the smaller barrel contours have a shorter parallel section of the barrel. I assumed the parallel section of the barrel was the portion of the shank from the front of the receiver to the start of the contouring of the barrel.

Am I understanding that correctly?

Would the recommended total barrel length change for any given contour as you shorten or lengthen the shank? For example a #3 with a shorter shank than normal, would you recommend a shorter total barrel length?

If I am utterly lost, just let me know!

Thanks,

Scott
Scott
Usually the smaller the contour the shorter the barrel shank. Barrel shank diameter and length have a huge effect on barrel stiffness.
That being said, barrel stiffness is not the end all on accuracy. I chose the contour/lengths in the book as a guide. Sometime folks want a #1 contour 28 inches long. Will it shoot ? It may, but likely to be much more finicky than a shorter barrel.
Charlie
Charlie,

Thanks for the reply. I have enjoyed reading you book and I feel better prepared for planning discussing future projects.

Socc
© 24hourcampfire