Home
Posted By: Paradiddle Favorite hog gun - 04/18/16
What is everyone's favorite hog gun and why?

I'm pondering a 308 AR but I don't read very many positive things about them regarding function, etc, and they can be damn pricey and hard to get out here in Cali. I have a 5.56 AR already (and a bunch of other stuff).

Let me know what you guys love. Cause I got some money burning a hole in my pocket!

Jeff
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/18/16
There have been a lot of pigs killed with 556--223, double your money fold it over and put it back in your pocket. Rio7
Posted By: ingwe Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/18/16
.223AI though a regular .223 would work just as well. Just shoot them in the brain.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/18/16
Browning Safari 3006 w a Leupold 3.5X10X50 ill #4 reticle. This year anyway smile
Posted By: RevMike Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/18/16
Originally Posted by ingwe
.223AI though a regular .223 would work just as well. Just shoot them in the brain.

[Linked Image]

I agree with Ingwe: use what you have and stick the bullet in CNS - they're done.

On our lease we have everything from .45-70 to .223 used, and a whole lot of stuff in between. A good shot with any of them will anchor a pig. A poor one is a lost porker. Spend your money on hunts.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/18/16
Winchester M 70 Sorter .30/06 and 180 gr Nosler Partitions.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by RevMike

[Linked Image]

I agree with Ingwe: use what you have and stick the bullet in CNS - they're done.

On our lease we have everything from .45-70 to .223 used, and a whole lot of stuff in between. A good shot with any of them will anchor a pig. A poor one is a lost porker. Spend your money on hunts.

I've heard 7x57s work good on them..... whistle
Yup. grin

PJGunner sent me a copy of an article written a number of years ago by the late Finn Aagaard. He loved the 7x57 and said that if he had to have one "do-it-all" load for the cartridge it would be a 150 grain NP at 2800 fps. Partition or otherwise, I expect that would be about the perfect pig load. As a matter of fact, Craig Boddington mentioned in several places that his daughter has killed a lot of stuff with her 7-08 with 150 grain Accubonds at 2700 fps. Evidently, 2700-2800 is the sweet spot for that round. Maybe we can get Mule Deer to chime in since he's a 7x57 fan himself.

Oh wait, this a thread about favorite hog guns, not the 7x57, right? Sorry.... cool
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/18/16
ingwe and those guys tell me my 30-06 is too much gun for them, but I didn't have too much of a problem killing them. laugh

Like he said....shoot'em in the head and you could probably use a .22L.

[Linked Image]
Brian, that gun looks silly without a Bubba-Buddy......

Just sayin'.....

grin
Posted By: Paradiddle Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/18/16
Thanks guys - I was trying to get up the nerve to buy a 308 AR, but I'll stick to my .223, my 7x57 and my 30-06.

I will buy ANOTHER guy to satisfy the need to purchase - just not a 308 AR. LOL
You know, Ingwe, now that I think about it, I have killed three or four pigs with my .444, several with my .260, several with my .30-30, and four or five with a .30-06, but I'd guess that over the past few years I've killed over 50 with the 7x57.

I expect that qualifies it as my favorite hog rifle.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/18/16

this one would work.......45-70 w/405 grain boolit...

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Paradiddle
Thanks guys - I was trying to get up the nerve to buy a 308 AR, but I'll stick to my .223, my 7x57 and my 30-06.

I will buy ANOTHER guy to satisfy the need to purchase - just not a 308 AR. LOL

You have the bases covered. Why not add a .375 to the mix? You can always load down and have a lot of fun punching holes in porkers with it. Muddy might even let you borrow his Bombay Bowler to wear while doing it.
You know, Ingwe, now that I think about it, I have killed three or four pigs with my .444, several with my .260, several with my .30-30, and four or five with a .30-06, but I'd guess that over the past few years I've killed over 50 with the 7x57.

I expect that qualifies it as my favorite hog rifle.

If you've killed that many, then I got some catchin' up to do! shocked
I keep a diary of each hunt with pictures, so yeah, it really did happen.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/18/16
My real favorite? Suppressed MK1 and suppressed 10-22, sub sonic HPs. By far my favorite.

If I'm hunting really big pigs, to me, say over 200 or 250, I step up to the 300/221 suppressed.

If I had the need to kill whatever I saw whenever I saw it, a 223 with the right bullet or even a 308 AR possibly.

Its no rocket science to kill them. Last time I went with a shotgun ready for a mob of them, and left my 300/221 bolt gun in the truck, a big one probably around 300 came out by himself... so just to be stealthy, I grabbed the 10-22 and shot him in the ear. Thought I could drag him... nope... other pigs never showed by the time I left....

Bottom line I buy new guns because I want them, not because there is a need.. needs were covered so long ago its not funny.
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/18/16
Ruger No. 1 .338 Federal seems to work ok....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/18/16
Brian, that gun looks silly without a Bubba-Buddy......

Just sayin'.....

grin

I was only following directions from the all powerful pooba.
Originally Posted by SCGunNut

[Linked Image]

I've wondered about that cartridge...not as a pig gun in particular, but as a "Everything Lower Forty-Eight" cartridge in general.
Posted By: Kellywk Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/18/16
Pigs are probably the bubba equivalent of brown Bear in that people who hunt them often use a lot smaller cartridge than is "recommended". Any center fire will work if you put it in the cns or vitals. We killed plenty as kids with 22 rim fires. Usually now I use whatever I have with me at the time
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/18/16
Originally Posted by Kellywk
Pigs are probably the bubba equivalent of brown Bear in that people who hunt them often use a lot smaller cartridge than is "recommended". Any center fire will work if you put it in the cns or vitals. We killed plenty as kids with 22 rim fires. Usually now I use whatever I have with me at the time

Believe it or not, a .17 HMR with FMJ bullets is a hog killer and a good one. A shot to the head will not only drop them, it'll blow their eyeballs out on stems. Weird looking. One of those little pills thru the shoulders or spine will kill'em, DRT.

And, those rifles be had really cheap, make good knock around guns on 4 wheelers, in the truck, etc. And for other stuff, there's always tipped bullets and TNT's, something for everyone... grin

Equal opportunity, diversity, P.C., etc... blush

DF
Posted By: bowmanh Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/18/16
I've been using a Ruger Hawkeye All Weather in .308 with a Leupold VX-III 2.5-8X. Loaded with 150 grain TTSX or 165 Accubonds it works great. I'm generally shooting at pigs on the move so I take shoulder shots, not head shots.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/18/16
In my life I"ve seen, close enough to shoot/shoot at, exactly 4 pigs that I would not take on with a 22. I doubt a single one of them was under 500 pounds.

I've no clue how many pigs I've shot, not that many really, but still probably 200 or so. Likely around 75% have been either bow or 22 LR kills.

I have not shot one with a short or super colibri yet...

Heck deer are not hard to kill either... its just rules that keep me from using a 22 on them....
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/18/16
Jeff, I knew a boy from down in your neck of the woods who's favorite everything rifle was a 5mm Rem mag
[Linked Image]

head ache
[Linked Image]

223head ache
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/18/16
since nobody has yet mentioned an AR-10, .308

[Linked Image]

even though I got it on the first shot, when the sow was running... smile
Good job Pat, Rio7
Posted By: deflave Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/18/16
Which AR10 are you using RIO?

Dave
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/18/16
As has already been said, most anything will work and I generally shot the m w/ whatever I had in hand. During our great Pig Jihad my son and I shot many hundreds. You won't get more than one shot into a bunch of pigs before the rest start running.

An autoloading rifle is helpful for the runners (which can be managed quite successfully w/ a little practice) and a larger caliber is helpful for getting a stop on runners. We favored Benelli R1's whenever we were targeting the destructive little SOB's. 20" Barreled carbines in 30-06 shooting factory Hornady 150SST's put the porkers down w/ authority, yet was easy on the shoulder.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

David
Deflave,Don't have a ar-10 just ar-15's the gun picture is a ar-15 built for me by Scott Milk, in AZ. it lives in my jeep 24-7 Rio7
Posted By: JPro Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/18/16
My favorites are carbine-length bolt guns in .308 or 7mm-08, although I could see a good AR-10 .308 being worthwhile to a hardcore hog hunter. Standard 140-165gr cup/cores work well at 2,600-2,800fps. I've shot them with .22cal rifles and bigger stuff like the .338WinMag, .35Whelen and .444Marlin, but nothing really seems to work that much better than those moderate rounds.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Canazes9, only 30-06 I have is a M-1,weighs a ton. Rio7
Posted By: scottfromdallas Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/18/16
I shake my head at all the hog specific ammo with monometals for $40 a box. Any deer bullet will do on hogs nicely.

My most recent hog was with an FNAR and I'm thinking it's pretty good for hogs in the thick stuff.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/18/16
Originally Posted by RIO7
Canazes9, only 30-06 I have is a M-1,weighs a ton. Rio7

The Benelli's aren't too bad, those carbines weigh 7 pounds plus optics. We were doing a lot of night hunting with them, hence the hubble Trijicons. W/ a FX3 6x42 it weighs about 8 pounds.

David
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/18/16
I bet a .458 SOCOM would be a good pig-thumper. At least that is what I am trying to tell myself enough times to justify......
Posted By: viking Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/18/16
Anything works if you hit em in the right spot. Doesn't take a 338 mag for a 100-125 hog. I have used 308, 30-06, 44 mag and a 444 Marlin oh and a 6.5 Swede. My kid has always used a 223, works for him.

I have seen guys almost loose pigs that where hit by 300 bees (to far back). Same thing with my 6.5, it run a little ways with a lower lung shot.
[Linked Image]

450 Howell works
Posted By: EdM Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/18/16
Lots of favorites...

A 44 Magnum.

[Linked Image]

A 250 AI.

[Linked Image]

A 358 Win.

[Linked Image]

A 270 Win.

[Linked Image]

A 243 Win.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: OlongJohnson Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/18/16
If you wanna mess with more heat in your AR, there's no need to go .308. Put together a 6.8 SPC upper. Or if you hand load and feel in the mood for wildcatting, there's a .30 Herrett barrel from AR15Performance. Basically, a 30-30 in an AR. Snap them onto your existing lower and the CA.gov doesn't have anything to say about it.
Posted By: HawkI Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/18/16
You can kill a hog with about anything placed right, but I've never seen anything make them leak from two holes like the 400 Whelen with a 300 TSX.....
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/18/16
A .45-90 or .45-110 also makes impressive leaks...
Posted By: cdb Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/18/16
[Linked Image]

Marlin 336 30-30 with Wild West Happy trigger, raised comb for good cheek weld, Pachmayr grind to fit recoil pad and a VX-3 1.75-6x32 with German #4 reticle.
Reason: it works.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/19/16
The Wild West trigger is really nice, and that scope is about perfect for that gun.

DF
Posted By: RevMike Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/19/16
This one here seems to work.

[Linked Image]
You and the Poobah about to make that gun famous... cool

DF
Posted By: RevMike Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/19/16
That one and this one.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/19/16
My Shiloh 45 caliber Sharps rifle, hope to use my original 86 Winchester in 45-70 on one soon, both rifles use black powder and 500-530 gr bullets.
My .45-70 "primitive" BPCR shooting 250 gr. TSX at 2,550 fps (Barnes 1895 load) really does a job on hogs, WT's, too.

A small pig had his chest contents blow out the far side, the far rib cage fractured like a broken window, fracture lines leading out from the exit hole in all directions.

Bad...

DF
Posted By: Crowkiller Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/19/16
My favorite hog gun is a an AR in 7.62X39. I assembled it before the .300 Blackout became available, but it would do the same thing without specialized bolt parts.

I've shot them with rifles from a .223 to 45/70, and for my hunting this rifle is in the sweet spot.
Posted By: ned Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/23/16
6.5X55, 22" Barrel, 130 Accubond, H4350, 2830 fps

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/23/16
That one and this one.

[Linked Image]

Damn! thats a handsome rifle! laugh
Posted By: RevMike Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/24/16
Ain't it??? cool
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/24/16
Originally Posted by ned
6.5X55, 22" Barrel, 130 Accubond, H4350, 2830 fps

[Linked Image]

Sweet looking little setup there Ned.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/24/16
That one and this one.

[Linked Image]

Damn! thats a handsome rifle! laugh

But that sling.......

You have to think WWJCD?

( What Would Jim Corbett Do....) grin

I'm thinking plain 1 inch basket weave carrying strap...but thats just me....

And Jim.... whistle
Course....look what I'm shooting...

[Linked Image]

Tough to make a 'taste' call when you're half Irish......
Posted By: Whitebird Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/24/16
Pre-64 Model 70. .257 Roberts.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/24/16
Next to a 22 LR I've probably killed more hogs with this one rifle than any other I own. .490 RB & 70 grains FFFG.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mudhen Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/24/16
Show-off! grin grin grin
Posted By: Oklahomahunter Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/24/16
My dad's killed more with his 17HMR than anything else. Probably 20 or so. Just put it behind their ear. I shot one in the forehead one day with the vmax and it didn't work so well, but behind the ear does. I've killed more with my 223, shooting 60gr vmax bullets. From the middle of the body forward they done seem to go far.
Posted By: JRS3 Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/24/16
During college, I was a licensed hog trapper for the state of FL that I would do during free times and off season, Deer hunting. I was able to trap or shoot on selected properties but none of the hogs could be transported live, so I ended up hunting them most of the time. I used lots of different guns but a light weight 22-250 with good ole, cheap (then) green & yellow box Remington 55 grain Soft Points accounted for the large portion of hogs I took for a few years. The hogs ranged in all sizes and never did I feel under gunned. I finally got an AR and shot various bullets but a .223 loaded with Barnes TSXs, regardless of weight, worked extremely well. This is what I still mainly use today.
Posted By: RevMike Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/24/16

But that sling.......

You have to think WWJCD?

( What Would Jim Corbett Do....) grin

I'm thinking plain 1 inch basket weave carrying strap...but thats just me....

And Jim.... whistle

No doubt about that. That'd be a much better picture if I'd thought to take the strap off. I need to remember to start doing that.

I have a 1" Montana on my other Featherweight, but that old rubber V-Grip keeps things in place when I'm climbing around in, on, and through stuff. I expect one of those Trader Keith canvas and leather straps would be much more to JC's liking...if indeed he would have had anything on it at all (which I expect he wouldn't).
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/24/16
Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter
My dad's killed more with his 17HMR than anything else. Probably 20 or so. Just put it behind their ear. I shot one in the forehead one day with the vmax and it didn't work so well, but behind the ear does. I've killed more with my 223, shooting 60gr vmax bullets. From the middle of the body forward they done seem to go far.

Bet he's using FMJ's.

.17 HMR is a good hog round with the right bullet.

DF

[Linked Image]

Musta "flamed" its way right out of the "closet"... blush

DF
That was mean.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/24/16
But funny. grin
Posted By: mathman Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/24/16

[Linked Image]

Is that the Leupold NER model?
NER model?

Apparently not, Im not familiar with it.

Its a basic VX-I 3x9 duplex....
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
But funny. grin

Jealousy is a sick passion.

Don't try to hide it.....
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/24/16
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
But funny. grin

Jealousy is a sick passion.

Don't try to hide it.....
wink
Posted By: mathman Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/24/16
No Eye Relief

grin
Posted By: rost495 Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/24/16

why do folks think you should shoot behind the ear? If ear shooting I shoot the ear canal, it leads directly to the brain pan....
Originally Posted by rost495

why do folks think you should shoot behind the ear? If ear shooting I shoot the ear canal, it leads directly to the brain pan....

laugh

Good plan.

Could get a bit technical if they running... shocked

DF
Posted By: rost495 Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/24/16
even if running, still hit the ear canal.

How much you have to lead.... well who knows....

Swing through and keep pulling the 5.56 trigger until the pig falls.

laugh

Good plan...

DF
Posted By: jwall Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/24/16
Not just Dirtfarmer - all y'all....

8 pages, 75 posts and I didn't see 1, SKS 7.62X39 mentioned.

What would be wrong/bad with one of those?

There are huntable feral hogs in Ark. but none close to where I live--'that I know about'. What would the advantage/s be of using other rounds. I haven't priced SKS ammo lately but that 'might' be a consideration.

Jerry
If you guys don't have hogs yet, just wait...

Sorta like Fire Ants, they moving your way...

I guess just about any decent rifle will kill a hog.

I had a Ruskie SKS but sold it. It didn't do much for me, wasn't all that accurate. Even had a folding pig sticker you could use in a last ditch charge or close quarters encounter... grin

DF
Posted By: jt402 Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/25/16
My father was a very successful hog breeder/farmer with such credits as winning the National Barrow Show with his pen of three meat hogs. He had an annual customer, a dentist/rancher who came every year to buy breeding stock. In the seventies, While visiting Dad, Doc came by, bought several weaning pigs @ $500 a pop, took them to the ranch and turned them loose. Doc's hands trapped and sold the offspring. Trouble was two fold. They never caught them all and they did not all stay where they were supposed to live. The woods are still full of those blood lines.

I have not killed a lot of hogs. I consider the mature boars not fit to eat, YMMV. I have killed more with a .338-06 in south Texas while helping a friend thin his troubles, than with anything else, but that is way more gun than is needed. One of my SIL's country got over run with pigs. They hired a guy with a helicopter and a .223. His system is successful.

Today my pig arsenal is three .223s, a single shot, a semi auto, and a light varmint bolt gun. I do not feel under gunned.

best,

jack
Posted By: jwall Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/25/16
DF -

Yes there are hogs in a lot of places in Ark that I've heard about but I don't know of huntable numbers 'close' to me.

A 'hypothetical' situation.

IF a fellow had an SKS and ammo squirreled away for that STHUS (shut the heck up & shoot) day we hope never comes. But as with insurance he wants to be covered IF/WHEN it would be needed.

It seems to me that an SKS would be a great 'beater' in hog territory. IMO an SKS isn't a serious GROUP shooter but it seems to do a good job of hitting targets it was designed to hit.

In today's market what's SKS ammo bringing?

Jerry
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/25/16
Some 15-18 years back, there was a group of hogs that slipped up into McCreary County on the South end, which borders Tennessee.

There was an outfit who hunted them with dogs and SKS rifles. They snuffed them out, as far as I can tell. I am hearing that there are more hogs just South of the border again, and likely they will make their way north again.

I say all that to let you know, that in the scenario you describe, the SKS is an effective hog gun.
Posted By: brayhaven Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/25/16
As a kid in FL, I used a Colt Woodsman and shot 50 or more hogs, til folks convinced me that wasn't enough gun. A couple years back while scouting my lease for bow season, I had a group of 10 or so perfect BBQ size (60-70#) walk across the road. Desperately searching for a gun, the only thing I had was a 2" Beretta 21 22lr.. Slipped around in front of them and shot one behind the ear @ 10 yds.. Done deal.. But my favorite is a short Sako in 6x47 I built some years back.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/25/16
Originally Posted by jwall
DF -

Yes there are hogs in a lot of places in Ark that I've heard about but I don't know of huntable numbers 'close' to me.

A 'hypothetical' situation.

IF a fellow had an SKS and ammo squirreled away for that STHUS (shut the heck up & shoot) day we hope never comes. But as with insurance he wants to be covered IF/WHEN it would be needed.

It seems to me that an SKS would be a great 'beater' in hog territory. IMO an SKS isn't a serious GROUP shooter but it seems to do a good job of hitting targets it was designed to hit.

In today's market what's SKS ammo bringing?

Jerry

Its a light 30-30... being I kill em all the time and fairly big ones with a 22... the SKS will work fine. I prefer them to an AK actually. I"ve seen some SKS shoot pretty decent, way better than AKs.

Posted By: jwall Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/25/16
C T & Rost -

Thanks for the input.

This 'hypothetical' SKS shoots pretty good, esp. considering irons - not scoped.

I talked with a cousin and a couple of other guys this AM and they told me they didn't know of any 'huntable no.' of hogs near us.

That's good news/bad news so to speak. I'd love to hunt them but at the same time I don't want them destroying property where I and family/friends hunt.

Thanks Again

Jerry
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/25/16
I have "matured" beyond the need/use for irons, am a scope man for the duration.

I have AR's, not too crazy about them. I have a custom Mini .223 that's a nice semi for such use.

I generally prefer a light bolt gun like my M-7/Brux .22-204 (7 twist) or my Mohawk/Shilen .22-250 (8 twist) , both with bullets around 75 gr.

DF

Posted By: jwall Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/26/16
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I have "matured" beyond the need/use for irons, am a scope man for the duration.
DF

DF - We are in the same boat -generally-; however the REAR sight on the SKS is far enuff forward that it is still usable.

I shoot a Ruger Mk II 22 SS Target 6 7/8" adj sights. At arm length I can still use the irons.

I have a Ruger 10-22 SS Laminate and the rear sight is TOO close for me so....scoped.

I am very blessed, at 66 yo I only need reading glasses. My vision is superb past my elbow.

(for anyone who noticed-- recently I posted that I was 69 and corrected it to 67---a few days later it DAWNED on me that I am ONLY 66--smirk>>>true story)

Jerry
Posted By: RevMike Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/26/16
I suppose that if I was building a gun specifically dedicated to hunting hogs, especially if I knew that I might have to chase them into some pretty inhospitable and muddy terrain (think the most recent 24hourcampfire hog hunt, from what I understand), it might be something like this:

Base rifle: Savage Hog Hunter with factory barrel (threaded)
Caliber: .223 (the 1:9 twist would be fine for the distances encountered)
Iron Sights: swap factory iron for NECG F/O see-through rear and F/O Tru-Glo front
Scope: Trijicon 1-4x Accupoint with triangle tipped post
Mounts: Warne QD rings on Warne bases
Sling: Butler Creek Comfort V-Grip

That combination would probably be about the most bulletproof combination there is. And with the exception of the scope, I wouldn't cringe every time it got dragged through the mud, bounced around in a truck, our banged around in a stand. That gun would be short and handy. The only drawback might be that it would also be rather heavy. On the other hand, that might not be bad if the balance was right.
Posted By: colorado bob Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/26/16
I used my 30/06 on the 24Hour Campfire Hog Hunt back in March
Posted By: ingwe Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/26/16
Originally Posted by colorado bob
I used my 30/06 on the 24Hour Campfire Hog Hunt back in March

And it worked! laugh

Won the piggy Dink-a-thon!

[Linked Image]
"Use enough gun" -- R. Ruark
He was anxious to secure the Grand Prize.

shown actual size.

[Linked Image]

laugh
Did he share? crazy
Negatory.

Thats gonna hurt his chances next year.... whistle
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/26/16
Originally Posted by jwall
(for anyone who noticed-- recently I posted that I was 69 and corrected it to 67---a few days later it DAWNED on me that I am ONLY 66--smirk>>>true story)Jerry

It's gonna get here quick enough with accelerating it... laugh

DF
Posted By: jwall Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/26/16
DF - Ain't that the truth! !

I'm REALLY not rushing it. There were other things that triggered the age confusion. It only took a little bit to figure it out WHEN it crossed my mind. grin.

Jerry
He ate good!! smile
I still have that major award---Plan on sharing it next year before the decision is made.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/27/16
He ate good!! smile

And I'll bet he fit in the crock pot with room left over for veggies!

No kidding, we were hog hunting a couple years ago and checked a hog trap full of a couple sows and a dozen little ones. Don't matter how cute they are, you can't turn them loose alive......and damn ! they were good! laugh
I still have that major award---Plan on sharing it next year before the decision is made.

You are catching on to the 'bribe the judge' concept....
Hell...you are older than me...and I always catch hell for being old here! cry
Posted By: RevMike Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/27/16
It's all a state of mind.
Everybody says " you're only as old as you feel..."

well then....Im about 86.... crazy
Ain't that the truth. When I turned 50, people kept saying, "50 is the new 30." I could only say, "Well, someone needs to tell that to my body because it's still on the old calendar."
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/27/16
Poobs,

Not sure how you guys kill'em in a trap, but my hunting buddy has it down to an art form.

The shoots a cheap .17 HMR plastic stock rifle (Savage, I think) and uses FMJ bullets he gets at Wally World. He'll walk up on a trap full of hogs and stand back far enough that they don't start running around. As they stare, he lines up a forehead to miss the trap wire and pops them about an inch midway above a line between their eyes. They drop at the shot, eyes poking out on stems. Weird looking.

Then he waits for the next one. He'll be standing around 15 yds. from the trap and will kill a whole pen, one at a time. No squealing, no panic, no running around, no blood and gore. Just dead hogs with protruding eyeballs.

DF
Yeah...a friend told me 50 was like hitting a wall. He was right. And I found out 60 is like hitting a wall that pushes back....
Yeah...a friend told me 50 was like hitting a wall. He was right. And I found out 60 is like hitting a wall that pushes back....

Great. Something to look forward to. cry
I wanna be like you guys when I grow up...

DF
Posted By: colorado bob Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/27/16
At least we are still on the sunning side of dirt!! smile
Posted By: jwall Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/27/16
Hell...you are older than me...and I always catch hell for being old here! cry

Well don't tell anyone....okay? whistle

Some people act 'older' than they are. grin

Jerry
Posted By: rost495 Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/27/16

They told us our eyes would go at 40... I think we both lasted to about 43..

Told us how bad 50 was going to be... it was fine, but for some reason right at 51 it was something like a wall. Glad it didn't push back. I can only imagine that.

Starting to have to work smarter and not harder these days.

Was in a house fire call this morning at 5am. Full bunker gear. 56 degrees outside, by the time we'd removed the gas water heater that took a hit from lightning and got the gas off and through with checking for extension(thankfully NOTHING burned other than gas....)I was sweated and dripping sweat... I don't look forward to this summer. 20 pound weight loss would be grand. 10 will be workable...

Damn heat and age combination....

Mom, at 81, says just wait..... she was telling us that while digging a ditch for drainage in her yard, commenting that us at 51, she had thought she never could have worked like we do.... and I"m thinking, damn this should have taken an hour, not 4 plus 3 trips to our house for snack, rest and water.... ugh...

I digress, get back OT...

22lr. LOL.It works just like the 17 on trapped pigs too... especially my suppressed 10-22.....
22lr. LOL.It works just like the 17 on trapped pigs too... especially my suppressed 10-22.....

laugh

Bet that .22LR doesn't blow their eyeballs out on a stem like the .17 HMR... shocked

I have a suppressed 10-22, like it a lot.

DF

Posted By: TexasPhotog Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/27/16
Originally Posted by Paradiddle
What is everyone's favorite hog gun and why?

I'm pondering a 308 AR but I don't read very many positive things about them regarding function, etc, and they can be damn pricey and hard to get out here in Cali. I have a 5.56 AR already (and a bunch of other stuff).

Let me know what you guys love. Cause I got some money burning a hole in my pocket!

That AR will work well on hogs and quick follow up shots can be very desirable with multiple targets.

I'd find a Barnes triple shock bullet weight that it likes and, rather than buying another rifle, install a quality illuminated scope on it. I see hogs mostly in very low light and illumination is very helpful.
Never used one, but love to watch videos of night hog shooting with an AR .308 using a Thermal scope.

Thermals are expensive but appear to be quite effective, hunting hogs at night.

DF
Posted By: rost495 Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/27/16

laugh

Bet that .22LR doesn't blow their eyeballs out on a stem like the .17 HMR... shocked

I have a suppressed 10-22, like it a lot.

DF

Eyeballs used to be fun... they are overrated these days.

The detached deer ear once from a 308 about 30 feet behind the deer and standing upright vertical like someone set it in the sendero was worth a laugh though.
Posted By: C_ROY Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/27/16
.257 Roberts has worked well for the girls.... grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I get to hunt them too when the girls aren't in tow laugh
[Linked Image]
Those are some serious hogs. Got some Russian in the family tree somewhere...

? 300#'s on that biggest one?

DF
Originally Posted by C_ROY
.257 Roberts has worked well for the girls.... grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I get to hunt them too when the girls aren't in tow laugh
[Linked Image]

If you guys ever got a crack at some big pigs, you'd need a bigger gun...... whistle
Nice pigs! That last one has a dorsal fin!!
Posted By: C_ROY Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/28/16
Yes those hogs do have a lot of the Euro/Asian blood line in them. I have killed a couple nice ones that took front end loaders to get them out! Those were feral hogs, the Euro/Asian hogs won't get that big maybe 400 lbs or so on the top end.
Posted By: maddog Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/28/16
Hunted my first hog, when I was in my 20's. I've shot them with a muzzleloader, bow, and a few different rifle calibers, .35 Rem., .44 mag, and .45-70. My absolute favorite is the 45-70. Mine's a Marlin guide gun. A few pics.....

[Linked Image]

.45-70

[Linked Image]

.45-70

[Linked Image]

Bow.

[Linked Image]

.54 cal CVA Big Bore Mtn. rifle.

[Linked Image]

45-70.

[Linked Image]

.45-70

[img]http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii198/maddog1951/FH000024.jpg[/img]

A little over kill on the javelina. All the hogs shot with the 45-70 Guide Gun, were killed with 300 gr. nosler partition bullets.

maddog
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/28/16
If you guys ever got a crack at some big pigs, you'd need a bigger gun...... whistle

A .270 ?? shocked

DF
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Favorite hog gun - 04/28/16
So-far, the old 30-30 has kilt them all. Same with the 870 shooting buckshot (just gotta be closer). Snared hogs are shot with a .22lr pistol (none of them have walked/run away, either). grin

Posted By: richardca99 Re: Favorite hog gun - 05/04/16
I've killed scads of hogs in the SE with a .22 LR, though I do NOT endorse doing it. I was a stupid kid at the time, and I wounded a lot of game.

My hog gun par excellence has become an LWRC M6G AR-15 in 5.56mm. I killed some this and last weekend while turkey hunting. The Barnes 62gr TSX loaded by Black Hills has resulted in bang-flops in every case.

If I were shooting them at real distance, I'd use any deer rifle with a stout bullet.
Posted By: Mikewriter Re: Favorite hog gun - 05/05/16
I hog hunt in thick brush where shots are close and you need them to go down and stay there - and I "use" most of what I shoot, no eradication hunts. .30-06, .270, .300 Savage, and .300 Win Mag all work fine, but my favorite is my .44 mag with 300 - 335 gr hard cast at 1000 fps or so.

Used to kill a lot of hogs when I was in high school with a .22 LR out of a bolt action Marlin. I preferred solids to HP, penetration helps. .22 loses a lot of what power it has out of a hand gun. Of course, I never shot them in a trap or pen.

Mike
Posted By: hanco Re: Favorite hog gun - 05/31/16
308 hog hunter or an AR with Barnes bullets
Posted By: Talus_in_Arizona Re: Favorite hog gun - 05/31/16
Originally Posted by SCGunNut

[Linked Image]

That is an ugly-assed pig. Cool rifle though!
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Favorite hog gun - 05/31/16
I shot some with my AR in 300 blackout. I loaded 125 NBTs to 2250 mv and they worked pretty well. I got into a small group in an open field and after the first shot they were running everywhere. I hit two more on the run. It was s lot of fun and I was glad a had an ar when things got going.

I've been eyeing a radical firearms upper in 458 socom ever since then. I should have picked one up when they had them for $419 with the bolt. If I see one in that price range again I'll pick it up. I already load for a 45-70 so I've got several bullets on hand to choose from. Has anyone here used a socom on pigs?

Bb
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Favorite hog gun - 06/01/16
http://rs53.pbsrc.com/albums/g61/BlueRIO7/IMG_2024%202_zpsjnezwjec.jpg~c100[Linked Image]

.22 30 yrds
Posted By: Bugger Re: Favorite hog gun - 06/01/16

A .270 ?? shocked

DF

No, 270's are for coyotes. You know that.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Favorite hog gun - 06/01/16

I was doing pretty good until about 65/66, when I needed new knees. Then I started needing pain pills. It was a down hill slide after that. My appetite was still high and my exercise wasn't.
Posted By: hanco Re: Favorite hog gun - 06/01/16
Rock River AR with 62 grain Barnes bullets. It chews them up
Posted By: RAS Re: Favorite hog gun - 06/01/16
Whatever is in my hands at that time.

Savage 99DL in 284 Win

[Linked Image]

Rem 700 in 7mm Rem Mag

[Linked Image]

Savage 99R in 300 Sav

[Linked Image]

Rem 700 Classic in 250 Savage

[Linked Image]
Savage 99G in 30-30 with Stith Mount and Lyman Alaskan Scope

[Linked Image]

Win Model 70 in 7x57

[Linked Image]

Win Model 70 Black Shadow in 300 Win Mag

[Linked Image]

LSA-55 in 308 Win

[Linked Image]
Savage 99EG in 250 Savage with Stith Mount and Weaver Scope

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hanco Re: Favorite hog gun - 06/02/16
.333 OKH knocks a big hole in a pig. See pig. Shoot pig
Posted By: rost495 Re: Favorite hog gun - 06/02/16
Originally Posted by RIO7
http://rs53.pbsrc.com/albums/g61/BlueRIO7/IMG_2024%202_zpsjnezwjec.jpg~c100[Linked Image]

.22 30 yrds

Not possible. LOL. I need to see if I can get a pic off my iphone and figure how to post it from one of my last 22 ones also...
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Favorite hog gun - 06/02/16
Model 12 with assorted buckshot rounds from the ziploc freezer bag on shelf.
[Linked Image]

Went total "Guadacanal" on em! No flashlight. All head shots!

These were some we ate at Quemado 2 years ago!
Posted By: bea175 Re: Favorite hog gun - 06/02/16
My AR in 6.8 SPC
A few of our better weekends. Most taken with .223 AR and Savage .308

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ready Re: Favorite hog gun - 06/02/16
You, Sir, and that group of yours, are doing something right and I would like to know, what that something is.

Traps involved? Nightsights?

Trap gates on the feeder pens.plus live traps. Coyotes,buzzards need to eat too. We covered up with pigs. See pig. Shoot pig. This just a few of the pigs we have killed, get tired of taking pics.
Here's one that didn't need a bullet

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Favorite hog gun - 06/02/16
The one and only Hog I ever killed was bayed up in a creek bank by a bunch of McNab stock dogs and one Walker/Pit Bull catch dog...I shot it with a 30/30....the guy that owned the dogs said shoot it between the eyes (after repeated warnings not to shoot his dogs:)....I missed but not by much considering the amount of activity going on at the time....close enough that he quivered and dropped straight down deader'n a door nail anyway....
That was over in Cali about 30yrs ago....definitely one of the funnest hunts of my life....

[Linked Image]
We need to kill all the pigs
Posted By: rost495 Re: Favorite hog gun - 06/02/16
Well I'd like to keep a few... but if we set out to kill every last one, we'll still have more than a few left.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Favorite hog gun - 06/02/16
Traded an old piano for this hog trap about 25 years ago. It's still going strong! Grandson ain't too sure of that sow!!!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: hanco Re: Favorite hog gun - 06/03/16
Live Trap

[Linked Image]

One we killed in it. Let one of the guys on the lease boy shoot him.

[Linked Image]
Some more pics

[Linked Image]

The granddaughter

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The cutters on this one

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Favorite hog gun - 06/03/16
Hanco ,

THAT'S A HOG RIGHT THERE !!
And yes those are some cutters in the bottom picture ..

Lots of great rifles and hogs.

My favorite is my old 25-06 that I've had since I was 19 years old. Remington 700 bdl B&C stock -Leupold 4x12-50 VXR -Tx. Boars light .

130- 140lbs. killed two that looked exactly the same as far as pictures. Same spot -same tow rope -same light .

[Linked Image]

Poor ole piggie, he can't eat no mo corn!!!
Posted By: cdb Re: Favorite hog gun - 06/03/16
Hanco, your land looks very similar to mine. I'm between Hunt and Leakey, where are you located?
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Favorite hog gun - 06/03/16
Haven't found a gun yet that isn't my favorite for whackin' hogs. They all work.
Lease in burnet texas. Lots of damn piggies. Hunted in Rick Springs also. Same type of country. Hunted in Coleman County for 25 years,big deer.
Posted By: cdb Re: Favorite hog gun - 06/03/16
It looked familiar. I lived in Boerne for 15 years.
Posted By: hanco Re: Favorite hog gun - 06/04/16
Lots of juniper trees, cause lot of sinus issues in the winter.
Posted By: hanco Re: Favorite hog gun - 06/09/16
Gonna go hunt hogs this weekend
Posted By: cdb Re: Favorite hog gun - 06/09/16
Cool Beans.
Posted By: hanco Re: Favorite hog gun - 06/11/16
Have killed a few with a savage muzzle loader.
Posted By: Bob_B257 Re: Favorite hog gun - 06/12/16
Had Good advice from Rost495 5 years ago on what works.
Spent 7 very fun nights and days w an 06 Mod 70 that I did not worry about getting in the red clay mud. Action worked every time.
Used some fancy Bergers that JB had just written about. They were as described. DRT
Hunted with guys using 30-30 levers, 06 and .243 bolts, 20 ga savage slug rifle, and a Benelli 12 ga for day time grass stalking. 44 and 357Mag S&W never got a shot off but would have worked also. Most used rem green box and all piled them up.
64 down up to 300lbs.
Next year the race for optics heated up.
Green and Red Flash lights were spooking the pigs on the ranch.
With that came the auto rifle arms race.
Now its crazy expensive thermal and night vision with IR. The rifle is now the lesser cost and critical choice.
Its the toys for the dark of Night that seem to be driving the what I need for hog wacking and stacking.
Im going backwards. Thinking of a recurve and a cedar shaft with a stone point.
Have Fun.
Posted By: hanco Re: Favorite hog gun - 06/12/16
Catchin and killing pigs is a lot of fun. Gives us something to do when we go to lease to fill feeders.
Posted By: hanco Re: Favorite hog gun - 06/13/16
I have killed quite a few with my bow. They squeal when hit with a broad head. That's usually about 12.00 dollars gone when you fire off a bow bullet.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Favorite hog gun - 06/14/16
whatever i'm carrying when i run across them.
Posted By: hanco Re: Favorite hog gun - 06/15/16
Need a full auto for pigs.
Posted By: wildfowl Re: Favorite hog gun - 06/28/16
Go big or go home.

Winchester 1895 in .405 Winchester is the perfect medicine

Attached picture !.jpg
Posted By: hanco Re: Favorite hog gun - 07/08/16
I bet a .405 kicks hard
Posted By: hanco Re: Favorite hog gun - 08/08/16
Going to deer lease weekend after next. Some of the other boys said its dry. Summers are when we trap the most pigs. I will post more pigs if we catch some.
© 24hourcampfire