Home
Posted By: 700xcr Federal Trophy Copper Bullet ? - 04/27/16
I ran Federal Trophy Bonded Copper ammo in my Remington 700 BDL 243win. Last year with good results. My question is what bullet is this 85gr. pure copper tipped bullet? Did Federal contracted with Barns Bullets in this load? It looks like a TTSX with a black tip instead of a blue tip like the 80gr, TTSX bullet.Looked at Barns and they only offer a 85gr. TSX and not a 85gr. TTSX. Just loaded some test loads in the 80gr. TTSX with RL17 with Federal Large Rifle Match primer. I seated the 80gr. TTSX the same COAL as the factory ammo. Hopefully I can get the same results as the factory Federal Trophy Bonded ammo.
Nosler E Tip
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Nosler E Tip
I looked at Nosler's website and they offer a 90gr. E-tip for 6mm(243) not 85 gr. E-tip. Unless Federal contracted Nosler to make a 85gr. E-tip to load in their Federal Trophy Copper production line.
http://shop.nosler.com/nosler-bullets/e-tip/e-tip-6mm-90-gr-spitzer-w-band-bullet-50ct.html
bd, that particular load couldn't be the Nosler. He mentioned that it looks like a TTSX, the E-tip has no grooves.
Here is the information on Federal's website.
https://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=969
Originally Posted by WyDave
bd, that particular load couldn't be the Nosler. He mentioned that it looks like a TTSX, the E-tip has no grooves.
You are correct. I pulled a bullet, has 4 grooves instead of 3 grooves like the Barn's 80gr. TTSX.
I worked for Federal when that bullet was designed. Federal had been working with Barnes during the development of the Triple Shock design, and used that technology to make the Trophy Tip Copper bullets. They have a deeper hollow point cavity than the Barnes as well, so they open a little faster. Pretty neat design.
That's weird because if you "reverse engineer" the federal ballistics listed for the 100gr/25-06 load you find that Nosler's listed BC matches PERFECTLY to the load.

I wonder if Federal sources a few different copper bullet manufacturers?
Originally Posted by 700xcr
Originally Posted by WyDave
You are correct. I pulled a bullet, has 4 grooves instead of 3 grooves like the Barn's 80gr. TTSX.

Shooters Pro Shop often has E Tips with groves, so they are cutting them in there for somebody. Could just be for Noslers own ammo line I guess. I always just figured they were for Federal.
Looks like many of the E-Tips have a groove of some sort in them (scroll down to where it shows them all). http://www.nosler.com/e-tip-lead-free-bullet/
Originally Posted by JohnChilds
I worked for Federal when that bullet was designed. Federal had been working with Barnes during the development of the Triple Shock design, and used that technology to make the Trophy Tip Copper bullets. They have a deeper hollow point cavity than the Barnes as well, so they open a little faster. Pretty neat design.
Thanks! That is the information I am looking for. I was looking for same weight of bullet with the tip on it to reload. I am going to try the Barn's 80gr. TTSX bullets. The Federal Trophy Bonded Copper ammo in my Remington 700BDL 243win produced 1/2" 3-shot group at 100yds. and did well on a mule deer double lung shot at 230yds. Just trying to duplicate it by reloading my own.
Are you talking about Federal Trophy Bonded or Federal Trophy Copper? They are two different bullets.
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Are you talking about Federal Trophy Bonded or Federal Trophy Copper? They are two different bullets.

https://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=969
The Trophy Copper is very close to an E-Tip, but not identical. At least not the 200gn .338.

The Trophy Bonded Tip is an entirely different bullet, which is unfortunately not available for purchase as a component.

[Linked Image]
You like the Trophy Bonded? I have a few boxes of the 270 Win, haven't shot any yet. Guess I just liked the all silver look...
I saw your link above to the Trophy Copper but you've used "Trophy Bonded Copper" a couple times so wasn't clear if you were talking about the Trophy Copper or Trophy Bonded. The Trophy Copper obviously isn't bonded as it's a monometal.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
You like the Trophy Bonded? I have a few boxes of the 270 Win, haven't shot any yet. Guess I just liked the all silver look...

In my bullet tests (2" particle board then damp magazines) the TBT did exceptional. Right there with TTSX and partition. Accurate too. No live critter tests though.
A friend of mine gave me a couple boxes of Federal Premium .308 165 GR. Trophy Bonded Tactical Loads. Said they worked great on a couple Whitetail bucks he shot. I've only shot them at the range and they are very accurate in my rifle.

Tactical???

L.W.

"Bonded" would certainly insinuate something is bonded to something....likely a lead core.
"Copper" to me sounds like it might be all copper?
© 24hourcampfire