Home
Posted By: czech1022 Beat-up Rem 721 in 300 H&H - 04/30/16
Buddy has this for sale, and I can get it (without the scope) for $325. It has several spots of rust (see pics) and the stock has been cut - length of pull including the recoil pad is 12 1/2 inches. Bore has sharp, clean rifling and the stock doesn't seem to have any cracks, but that is about all of the positives.

What do you think?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I say get it, and with the rings and bases.

I'd like to buy the Weaver Rings if you get them.
wink

I have one similar I paid a lot more for. I got it with a period 4X Redfield.

They are often much worse than that. Grab it quick.
Posted By: ghost Re: Beat-up Rem 721 in 300 H&H - 04/30/16
I have had several 721s. like the longer barrel, etc. and you can get a replacement stock. HOWEVER, if it should break, and they can, you cannot get EXTRACTORS for one. You cannot even get a new extractor for some of the older model 700s. Believe me, I know. Have been there. The only way to fix a broken extractor is to have it replaced with a Sako type extractor. This can be done, but when I had one put in 10 years ago, it was a $150.00 . Also, the clunky floor plate isn't nice, though you can probably live with it. New "bottom medal" will run another $200 or close. So, while $350 is a good enough price, pretty much going market, and a 300H&H not that common I'd think about how much you want it and for what. A friend of mine had his rechambered to 300Wby, but that was back in the late 50s, and again with the extractor, and floor plate and stock, you might want to think about it.

The ones I had were 270s and an 06 and all tack drivers, so they do shoot.
Posted By: vapodog Re: Beat-up Rem 721 in 300 H&H - 04/30/16
The original 721 rifles were poor with a scope as the stock dimensions are not conducive for such a sight.

Plan on a complete new stock.....it's possible that M-700stocks can be fitted as well as M700 floorplates.....I'm not at all sure about that.

I restocked mine and left the metal "as is"

They are excellent shooters and when restocked you will be hard pressed to find a better elk rifle.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Beat-up Rem 721 in 300 H&H - 04/30/16
Extractors can be found for the magnum guns and the 722s in 222, it's the standard caliber extractors that are dried up and gone.

The last 721 I bought was a 270 in pretty decent shape and it was $275. $325 isn't bad for one in useable shape in just about any caliber IMO, I consider them a heck of a lot more rifle for that kind of money than the new crop of budget rifles that cost roughly the same.
Posted By: papat Re: Beat-up Rem 721 in 300 H&H - 05/01/16
I bought one in 06 last year for $275. About 5 years ago a friend had given me a B&L Balvar 8a with 721 mounts in absolute pristine condition that I had done nothing with. Finally got the itch to put a gun under it and glad I did. I was thinking of putting a 280 barrel on it then made the mistake of shooting it. You all know how that goes.
I'd grab it.
Originally Posted by moosemike
I'd grab it.

Me too..
Posted By: CMH Re: Beat-up Rem 721 in 300 H&H - 05/01/16
Have one in '06 and it fit in standard 700 stock with a very small amount of work, only enlarging the slot for the bolt handle a bit and opening the barrel channel up a little more. That is if you are inclined to restock it.

As far as the stamped bottom metal, I didn't use it. Turned it into an adl. The 700 magazine and action bolts fit fine.

Found two standard caliber extractors about a year ago, it wasn't easy and took a bunch of phone calls, but they were out there....
I'd be on it like Father Vinny on a nun.
Confessing a deep fondness for that caliber here ...

That rifle could do a lot of things well.
If you don't have a 300 H&H then of course you want one!

Once you do it's just another 30 magnum.

Even an old M70 is just an old M70.
Posted By: mart Re: Beat-up Rem 721 in 300 H&H - 05/01/16
Originally Posted by Savage_99

And there it is. 99 comes along with his special brand of wisdom.
Posted By: johnw Re: Beat-up Rem 721 in 300 H&H - 05/01/16
Have handled and shot several 721/722s over the years. All of them needed to be, or were restocked. The clunky stock lines were common to that era.

Model 700 stocks are plentiful and inexpensive, and as noted above, it is a simple thing to refit them.

Several friends own and shoot model 722 .222s. They are all excellent rifles. A buddies grandfather had a 722/.222 and a 721/.270. Both were used extensively and well, albeit with the original stocks. Buddy has those rifles behind glass on his den wall, in a photo display of his grand dad in action.
A 700 stock can be fitted without to much problem.
The other end of the spectrum

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=553839136

Posted By: MarkFed Re: Beat-up Rem 721 in 300 H&H - 05/01/16
Love it! May have to bid.
Originally Posted by mart
Originally Posted by Savage_99

And there it is. 99 comes along with his special brand of wisdom.

Dumbfuggtitude Don strikes again.
Posted By: 30Gibbs Re: Beat-up Rem 721 in 300 H&H - 05/03/16
Boyd's offer wood and laminate classic style 721 drop in stocks for around $100 last time that I looked. I have the laminate on my M70 elk rifle and like it a lot ......

If you buy the 721 PM me. I have a Williams steel 700 bottom metal that needs a new home.
Thanks, I did get it. I'm going to be cleaning for a while, but once that's done I will want to talk to you about that bottom metal!
Posted By: Bugger Re: Beat-up Rem 721 in 300 H&H - 05/06/16
You can bend the stock using a hot oil process - as an alternative. (I've restocked my 721's and 722's though.) Then you don't need to replace the bottom metal.

The bolt release spring is different, that is if you get into that.
Posted By: 30Gibbs Re: Beat-up Rem 721 in 300 H&H - 05/06/16
Check your messages when you get time.
Posted By: Oakster Re: Beat-up Rem 721 in 300 H&H - 05/06/16
I would have bought it for sure
© 24hourcampfire