Home
Posted By: Skatchewan .243 Bullet opinion - 05/12/16
Hornady 100 gr BTSP loaded to 2800 fps in the .243, so relatively mild.

Opinions on this as an all - around deer load?

Experiences with this bullet at a similar velocity?
Posted By: navlav8r Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 05/12/16
I'd use it.
Posted By: mathman Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 05/12/16
It would work fine, but you'd do well to look into the 95 grain Ballistic Tip for the stated duty.
Posted By: Bugger Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 05/12/16
Hornady Interlocks are always a good option. I get better accuracy with 90-95 grain bullets for some reason. If that bullet shoots accurately in your rifle I think you'll like it a lot.
Posted By: Sendero Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 05/12/16
I get the same velocity. Old Remington adl.
Have used it on and off for 40 years or so with the Hornady. Just on hill country deer which aren't very big. Probably the biggest was 200 lbs.and 200 yards or less.
Posted By: Skatchewan Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 05/13/16
Thanks guys
Posted By: roninflag Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 05/13/16
have harvested a lot of deer with the .243 100 grain horn, and 95 partition. the wt do not weigh 300 pounds here though.
Posted By: Petro Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 05/13/16
If there's a job the 243 can do, it can be done with that combo and leave you wanting for nothing.
Posted By: southtexas Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 05/13/16
Originally Posted by roninflag
have harvested a lot of deer with the .243 100 grain horn, and 95 partition. they do not weigh 300 pounds here though.

I don't think the 95PTs weigh 300 pounds here, either! smile
Posted By: roninflag Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 05/13/16
in sask they can get 300 lb and cost 7.5k to hunt.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 05/13/16
It will work great if you put it in the front end.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 05/13/16
The 95 grain Nosler BT is also a good option.
Posted By: dogzapper Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 05/13/16

Either the 100 Hornady Interlocked or the 95Ballistic.

The Hornady Interlocked is a premium bullet at a non-premium price and at normal velocities (under 3,100 fps at muzzle) penetrates and kills wonderfully.

In fact, I used the 30/180 IL for my last loooong safari in Afrika ... killed 20+ head of plains game, including a 1,069kg (2,352-pound) eland. All kills were one shot ... dead right there.

The 95-grain Nosler Ballistic Tip was designed by Gale Root, Nosler's Chief Ballistician for many, many years. Gale was a .243 devotee to the max and he literally designed the 95 for HIS use in killing big deer (mules and WT), large bull elk and, his particular passion, nilgai.

Gale challenged himself to annually kill a "Five Buck Bull." He'd arrive at the outskirts of Bend, fill up his truck, go west and kill a 6X6 or bigger bull elk (he killed some monsters) and, when returning to Bend, his truck fill-up was less than $5.00, he'd WON.

Gale was a great guy and he followed his wife, a computer web site designer, to the SW USA. He was/is a good friend and one of the shooting industry's unsung geniuses.

Anyway, either the 100Interlocked or the 95Ballistic are both superb in the standard .243 Winchester and 6Remington.

God Bless,

Steve

Posted By: TexasPhotog Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 05/13/16
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Anyway, either the 100Interlocked or the 95Ballistic are both superb in the standard .243 Winchester and 6Remington.

This mirrors my experience on deer, hogs and antelope. Unfortunately, I've never flung either into an elk or a nilgai, but I'd be happy to!
Posted By: cdb Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 05/13/16
Originally Posted by Sendero
Have used it on and off for 40 years or so with the Hornady. Just on hill country deer which aren't very big. Probably the biggest was 200 lbs.and 200 yards or less.

That is a huge deer for the hill country. Was it a high fence deer? I lived between Boerne and Bandera for ten years and never saw one that would make 100 pounds.
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 05/13/16
I'm no Gunwriter but I have some of these for my 243 so I asked Hornady this question:
"What is the range of velocities that I can expect the best performance from the 6mm 100 grain BTSP, Item Number 2453, on deer size game? Thanks."

This was their answer:
"Thank you for your inquiry. The minimum velocity for expansion on the 6mm 100 gr BTSP is 1800 fps. It is capable of having a muzzle velocity window of 2500-3400 fps which is what we recommend."

Maybe someone could figure out at what range the velocity would drop to 1800 fps.
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog

This mirrors my experience on deer, hogs and antelope. Unfortunately, I've never flung either into an elk or a nilgai, but I'd be happy to!

Deer, yes.

Elk, no.
Posted By: bcraig Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 05/13/16
River Ridge

Started at what velocity?

Go to the Hornady website and use the Ballistic calculator.
http://www.hornady.com/ballistics-resource/ballistics-calculator

The bullet has a BC of .405(look under bullets to find)
Plug in the Velocity and BC(ballistic coefficient)and bullet weight using the basic chart and it will give you the figures.
Posted By: TexasPhotog Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 05/13/16
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Deer, yes.

Elk, no.

To each their own, but I bumped 9 elk the other day going to work on some solar mills and I could have been dropped any of them easily with my .243.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Deer, yes.

Elk, no.

To each their own, but I bumped 9 elk the other day going to work on some solar mills and I could have been dropped any of them easily with my .243.

And would those same elk be standing around in rifle season on public lands after being bugled, poked and smoked for 2 months of bow and muzzle loader season, or lucky to catch the flash of their ass going through the trees at mach 3?

It's better to have a real gun with a real bullet once the shooting starts.
Posted By: BigNate Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 05/14/16
Back to the OP's question, the .243 isn't picky about killing deer. My boys have used Hornadys, Noslers (bt & NPT), Barnes tsx and couldn't tell the difference at all.

One of my friends wives uses a .243 exclusively and has taken Mulies, caribou, pronghorn, and yes even elk with it without fanfare. She usually buys one box of shells a year and either Winchester PP or Rem CL in 100gr. Other than taking a Texas heart shot it rarely matters what you shoot an animal with, as much as where you hit them with whatever it is.
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 05/14/16
Originally Posted by bcraig
River Ridge

Started at what velocity?

Go to the Hornady website and use the Ballistic calculator.
http://www.hornady.com/ballistics-resource/ballistics-calculator

The bullet has a BC of .405(look under bullets to find)
Plug in the Velocity and BC(ballistic coefficient)and bullet weight using the basic chart and it will give you the figures.

Wow, that's really handy! I'll be saving that to my Favorites. Thanks bcraig.
Posted By: Skatchewan Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 05/15/16
Thanks everyone for the great feedback!

To answer your question, with my load? Velcity drops to 1800 fps at 510 yards.
Posted By: rost495 Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 05/15/16
I'm going to run my normal thing, look to Barnes or a mono bullet. Barnes does theirs really well.

I've shot lots with 243 over years of use. That was prior to Barnes mono bullets.

Why Barnes?

I did taxidermy as a living for 20 years or so.

Cup and core were found seperated in a LOT of heads that came in from neck shots.

Dead yes. But coming apart on the neck of our small whitetails? Would likely leave something on the table if you had to take a tough shot on one. I prefer the insurance. By far.

I've even had the partition 180 stop by the neck of a large S Texas buck from my 300.

Once I went to Barnes you didn't have to worry about that anymore.

Fast 85ish Barnes would trump anything out there plus give added insurance. Cheap enough too, how many deer tags do you get a year? 5 for us unless we buy extras... a 50 round box of barnes would last at least 5 years.
Originally Posted by cdb
Originally Posted by Sendero

That is a huge deer for the hill country. Was it a high fence deer? I lived between Boerne and Bandera for ten years and never saw one that would make 100 pounds.

Hill country has come a long way. We shoot bucks that have live weights of 160 to 170 every fall. Between Marble Falls and Johnson City.

Used to not be that way but finally shot the numbers down enough and let the bucks get old enough...

200 would be BIG... I've only shot one over 200 and that was south.... But on the right place the hill country sure could come close.
Update:

I shot that load into milk jugs of water today.

Now, it was the 100gr Hornady FlatBase, not the boattail, because I had those loaded.

Same velocity, 2800 fps MV. Shot into them at 100 yards, so impact velcoity was about 2550 fps

VERY IMPRESSIVE. Penetrated 5 jugs and was stuck halfway out of the back of the 5th jug. 27.5 inches of penetration overall, in water.

I then shot the 6.5x55, 140 grain Hornady Interlock into coffee cans full of water (out of milk jugs)Impact velocity 2400 fps.
It came to rest in the 4th can.

21 inches of penetration. Core and jacket seprated but wer found together in the 4th can.

Not quite comparing apples to apples, but very close.

That 100 grain Interlock impressed the heck outta me!
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 05/15/16
Sample of one deer here, but after seeing how the boat tail 100 grain hornady performed on a mule deer at 280 some yards out of a short barreled .243 I went with the 95 grain BT and don't see any reason to change. Was too fragile for my taste. Was plenty accurate though. Works good on coyotes!
I don't know, never used the TSX.

I would be more inclined if I could run them REAL fast.

I would use them on moose or elk if I ever used a .243 on them, or my kids did.

This doesn't speak well for them though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcs4w6VArIg&index=9&list=WL
Posted By: keith Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 05/15/16
If you want to be really impressed at a bullet's performance, try the 95g Nosler partition with about 43g of H4350 CCI200 primer, bullet seated near the lands.

You will think you are shooting a 30/06 when you skin the deer.

I hunted cow elk in Az with this load, none traveled more than 30 feet!
Originally Posted by Skatchewan
I don't know, never used the TSX.

I would be more inclined if I could run them REAL fast.

I would use them on moose or elk if I ever used a .243 on them, or my kids did.

This doesn't speak well for them though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcs4w6VArIg&index=9&list=WL

Thats the problem. People don't understand how bullets work. If you want big holes and lots of damage you have to shoot a frangible bullet. It gives you a bit better chance of DRT. Better blood trail. More damage to vitals and meat and hides. And less odds on an angling shot.

But if you want 2 holes you have to shoot a stouter bullet. The mono. It won't put big holes. It does enough damage. It usually exits. Its a heck of a deal for me.

But you also might not get as much blood trail and the animal might go a bit further.

Bottom line is you have to know what works for you.

I laugh at most folks that say they don't expand... ask about the hole and they'll tell you a 6mm left a caliber tiny entry and a dime exit.... well if it didn't expand wouldn't it be a 6mm exit....

I've NEVER seen a barnes not work. I've seen other bullets fail IMHO, including almost all sierra game kings, and the nosler solid base and partitions. I refused to shoot ballistic tips after almost literally blowing the head totally off a doe from the first one I ever used... WAY to much destruction.

I've seen barnes work from maybe as close as 20-30 steps, out past 800 ranged yards.

So if you need lots of blood and DRT, then do NOT choose a barnes. Go to a different bullet. But if you want one that kills in almost any circumstance and exits almost every time, then Barnes is what you are after IMHO.

If you need that DRT stuff, I'd suggest Berger hunting bullets. I won't use them because they destroy to much stuff, I still am back to Berger target bullets if I feel the need to use cup and core. Caliber entry and nickel to quarter exits.

FWIW I've run quite a few barnes dang slow.... 6mm 85 tsx at about 2700 or so MV, maybe a hair less... never a failure. And some of the impacts have to be way slow from other rounds as the impacts have been on the far side of 500 quite often.

Being a bowhunter at heart, I'm used to deer going a ways and leave em alone to die for a time. Sometimes thats a long time, you'd be amazed how long a deer can live with a vital bullet or arrow if you actually have teh luxury of watching.

I shot the largest deer I've ever shot this past fall. 100 ttsx from a 257 wtby, no clue at MV. At the shot I lost the deer. In this day and time we get texts as soon as the next guy shoots... I got the same. Going to hunt for 2-3 more hours. I never even moved from the stand. Never saw where the deer went or if I hit it. There was zero need to go and rush anything so 2 hours later my buddy calls and says lets go find it and head in. Ok. It wasn't hard to find as it was less than 20 steps away behind a tree dead.

Point was though, folks demand to much IMHO, when they should be patient. Had I missed time doesn't matter. Had I wounded it, time might have helped. Time never hurt.

Sorry about the mini/major rant but it aggravates me, and I often wonder how folks back in the day learned to deal with round balls and such, having no energy/knockdown etc....

My mentor told me long ago his dad in the depression shot the deer with a 22 long. And then had a sandwich, rolled a smoke and often even at an apple or orange and that was what they felt was required to make sure the deer had died,then went and got it.

Here I"ve shot deer and snuck away to do other things and come back a couple hours later to go look or get them.

In the end you can't have that varmint type bullet blowing up and killing much quicker than others, AND a bullet capable of a long "texas heart shot" and exiting after killing with the same bullet. I choose the bullet thats capable of doing it all, not doing one thing best. Just me.

You have to make the choice according to those lines.
Posted By: Skatchewan Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 05/17/16
I have 75 of those too. Haven't loaded them yet. Was kinda saving them for if my son ever used it on bigger game.
Posted By: Sendero Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 05/18/16
cdb,

I just now saw your post,,

I probably over estimated the size of that one deer. Most deer we shoot were typical hill country,,, 80 lbs. field dressed etc.

That one deer was killed years ago. We didn't weigh him but figured he weighed 140 field dressed. Pretty sure he stayed in a peanut field most of the time. This was in San Saba county in the 80's, no high fence.

Posted By: GunLoony88 Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 05/18/16
Not to highjack the thread, but Shooters Pro Shop has 95gr BTs on sale for $9.95/50......

Shooters Pro Shop
Posted By: Skatchewan Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 05/18/16
FWIW,

Our bucks here can go to 300 lbs live weight.....after seeing that 27.5" of penetration in water from the Hornady, I have renewed confidence in it. My son HAS shot 5 deer with this load, 2 of them decent bucks .......
Posted By: ingwe Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 05/20/16
Steve...I just used Gale Roots 95NBT on a couple more critters...excellent performance and Im just starting to get the impression that he designed it to expend all its energy within the target, because I have yet to have one exit.
Last critter was a 200lb + Axis buck...perfect.

That said Im a big fan of Hornady interlock and would tell the OP what you did...either is a good choice.
Posted By: mathman Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 05/20/16
I don't have as much experience with that particular Interlock as you do. In my more limited data, primarily with the boat tail version of the Hornady, I find the Ballistic Tip to be the tougher bullet.
Posted By: ingwe Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 05/20/16
Originally Posted by mathman
I don't have as much experience with that particular Interlock as you do. In my more limited data, primarily with the boat tail version of the Hornady, I find the Ballistic Tip to be the tougher bullet.

I would agree math man...my fave is the flat base, and I have a ton of experience on game with it. I tried the Boattail and found it to be comparatively fragile as well.
Hey, nice to see your back, hope you had a great hunt!!
Posted By: Hugh Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 05/21/16
I bought another 500 hundred 95 grain bt from SPS yesterday have not killed with them yet . been using 85 grain partitions for everything.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 05/22/16
I went through a 243/6MM phase a couple of years ago. First bullet I used this time around was the 100 gr, Nosler Solid base, had a few hundred laying around so I used them. Liked it, 1 inch exits and deer went down in the usual 75 yards or less with lung hits. Left a good blood trail too. Next up was the 85 gr. Partition which killed just like the solid base bullets with the exception the exit holes were around 1/2 inch and blood trails a bit thinner. This year I am going to use the 95 gr. BT again. I have used it before and the first 2 deer I shot with it went down on the spot. One did exit on a 50 yard shot through the ribs high leaving a nice 1 inch exit hole. The other also a high ribcage hit just under the shoulder blade on one side and ended up in the shoulder blade just behind the ball joint on the other. Nicely mushroomed and mostly intact. These were all shot out of a 20 inch barrel and velocity at the muzzle was no more than 2900 fps for the 100/95 gr. bullets and 3100 fps with the 85.
Posted By: 7_08FAN Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 05/22/16
Palidun, what load data were you using with th 95gr BT out of the 20". Thinking about this bullet for my grandson. Thanks
Posted By: vapodog Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 05/22/16
Originally Posted by Skatchewan
Hornady 100 gr BTSP loaded to 2800 fps in the .243, so relatively mild.

Opinions on this as an all - around deer load?

Experiences with this bullet at a similar velocity?
I'd prefer the flatbase over the boattail and 2,800 FPS is fine but you can do better and it wouldn't hurt at all to do so.
Posted By: WVGuy Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 05/22/16
My go to 243 bullet has been 85 gr HPBT by Sierra. I just ordered 500 95 gr Ballistic Tip bullets from Shooters Pro. They cost 9.95 for 50. I paid about twice that a couple of years ago. I did not want to say anything before I placed my order. You cannot go wrong with either of these bullets. Pull the trigger on either of these. You had better have the knife sharp.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 05/22/16
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN
what load data were you using with th 95gr BT out of the 20". Thinking about this bullet for my grandson. Thanks

I use 41.5grs IMR-4350 from my 24" .243 Win with the 95NBT:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RIO7 Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 05/22/16
Over the years we have used just about every 6 mm bullet made in our .243 rifles, the 95 gr. BTHP has served us well. Rio7
Posted By: rickt300 Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 05/22/16
I was using a surplus powder (WC852) I bought in bulk and worked up to 41.0 grains. This powder is capable of making really good accuracy but it truly is different (in burn rate) every time you get it. I used 44.0 grs. of it in my 6MM Remington but with either rifle I can't really say just how fast the bullets were going. Fast enough though.
Posted By: hanco Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 06/09/16
I vote on the 80 grain Barnes. DRT
Posted By: bearbacker Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 06/16/16
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
I'm no Gunwriter but I have some of these for my 243 so I asked Hornady this question:
"What is the range of velocities that I can expect the best performance from the 6mm 100 grain BTSP, Item Number 2453, on deer size game? Thanks."

This was their answer:
"Thank you for your inquiry. The minimum velocity for expansion on the 6mm 100 gr BTSP is 1800 fps. It is capable of having a muzzle velocity window of 2500-3400 fps which is what we recommend."

Maybe someone could figure out at what range the velocity would drop to 1800 fps.

The Hornady ballistics chart on their website shows this bullet started at 2960 is traveling 2729 fps at 100, 2509 at 200, 2300 at 300, 2101 at 400 and 1912 at 500. I would extrapolate 1800 fps to be pretty close to the 550 yard range.
Posted By: ScottyO Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 06/16/16
I'd not hesitate to use it,been using the same in my .257bob for years w\excellent results...ScottyO.
Posted By: huntin_chic Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 06/17/16

The Hornady Interlocked is a premium bullet at a non-premium price and at normal velocities (under 3,100 fps at muzzle) penetrates and kills wonderfully.

In fact, I used the 30/180 IL for my last loooong safari in Afrika ... killed 20+ head of plains game, including a 1,069kg (2,352-pound) eland. All kills were one shot ... dead right there.

Dodzapper,

I'm just curious what cartridge you used in Africa. That sounds like great bullet / cartridge performance! I've always had good results from Hornady as well.
Posted By: dogzapper Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 06/17/16
Originally Posted by huntin_chic

Dodzapper,

I'm just curious what cartridge you used in Africa. That sounds like great bullet / cartridge performance! I've always had good results from Hornady as well.

I've been on two lengthy safaris, one to Zim and one to RSA's Northern Transvaal (near Beitbridge on the Limpopo). I used a .30-'06 both times; 180-grain Partitions on the hunt in Zim and 180-grain Hornady Spire Point Boat Tail Interlockeds on the RSA hunt.

The Partitions killed well enough on the first hunt and I finished the safari with one more critter than shots fired (picked up a Rowland Ward impala ram that was standing behind the one I killed) All one shot kills and the Partition surely did the job.

However, I wanted kills that were faster, so I shot the Hornady Interlockeds on the second safari ... I was not to be disappointed; twenty-three or twenty-four head of plains game with as many shots. Penetration was excellent, expansion was to about .75-inch and retained weight was on the order of 75%.

We live in the Golden Era of Bullets.

God Bless,

Steve

Posted By: ingwe Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 06/17/16
Steve, heres a pic of the last two 95NBTs I shot.

[Linked Image]

The one on the left came out of a Blackbuck,150 yard shot quartering as he lay in his bed. The other was a quartering going away shot on an Axis, behind right shoulder, jacket ended up in left shoulder...I didn't see the core...but Im not the one who did the post mortem.
Posted By: slg888 Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 06/17/16
95gr Berger VLD. I've killed a lot of game with this bullet.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: .243 Bullet opinion - 06/19/16
Originally Posted by slg888
95gr Berger VLD. I've killed a lot of game with this bullet.

Didn't you kill a big hog a few years ago with the 95 VLD?
© 24hourcampfire