Home
Posted By: IndyCA35 Supposed New Ammo Technology - 05/23/16
Is this for real?

http://www.ammoland.com/2016/05/fir...mp;utm_campaign=b28947607c#axzz49RUjBLKC
WGAS
An answer searching for a question. I remember plastic .38 special cases years ago. Was supposed to make brass obsolete.
Yawn.
The best folks never write anything off.

Blackpowder gave way to smokeless eventually and so on.

Just have to take a wait and see about all this.

But I don't write things off.
I know of at least one other company that's developing polymer cases, and not just for handgun ammo.
Posted By: kciH Re: Supposed New Ammo Technology - 05/24/16
If they do what they say at a competitive cost, I'll be first in line for a decent batch of .45 and 10mm. Picking up "brass" with a magnet! My chiro will be pissed, I'll just use the money formerly sent to him for reloading supplies.
Worth keeping an eye on.
I wonder what the return on investment is on a set of their special dies, in order to use cheaoer brass? They say that brass will run at 65k psi, think about the 44mag loads for a carbine you could build out of those things!
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
I wonder what the return on investment is on a set of their special dies, in order to use cheaoer brass? They say that brass will run at 65k psi, think about the 44mag loads for a carbine you could build out of those things!

65k psi in a 9mm would be a ++P+++ load!
Thats what I was thinking to myself.. 65K in a 44 mag, even if a carbine... damn that sounds high... much less 9mm. LOL
I doubt there is a carbine currently on the market in those chamberings that could handle it.
I don't trust anybody that calls cases shells and casings.

Since they are unlikely to produce product in 22 hornet or 7x64, I am not particularly interested either way.

I will wait for the particle beam weapons and the gorgeous women in spandex that seem to prefer them.
Posted By: djs Re: Supposed New Ammo Technology - 05/26/16
Originally Posted by Mike_S
An answer searching for a question. I remember plastic .38 special cases years ago. Was supposed to make brass obsolete.

Wasn't that the Dardick pistol with plastic ammo? I have about 45- cases in my cartridge collection (both 38 and 50 cal BMG with steel "bullets" for rock drilling.
I spoke to these guys at NRA, they are going to send me some samples. Three things caught me attention:

-their 9mm cases can be loaded 40+ times before they need to be discarded

-their pressure claims are valid, a friend of mine who owns an Ammo company proof-tested them

-the case material springs back after sealing the chamber so the cases extract easier, which could present a reliability advantage for semi-autos/machine guns

The weight issue isn't much of a real advantage for hunters but to a soldier carry a few hundred rounds of linked 5.56 or 7.62 up a mountain, it might be helpful.
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by Mike_S

Wasn't that the Dardick pistol with plastic ammo? I have about 45- cases in my cartridge collection (both 38 and 50 cal BMG with steel "bullets" for rock drilling.

DJS I remember seeing some in a Guns and Ammo mag late 70s early 80s. It was an ad, showing 2 colors of plastic with metal bases and a reloading tool.

I remember the Dardick, didn't they call the ammo "trounds" IIRC, my spelling may be off.
Trounds is correct.

These guys make synthetic bullets that work well and claim to have synthetic cases in the works.

http://www.polycaseammo.com/project/inceptor-arx
© 24hourcampfire