Home
Posted By: czech1022 Mystery rifle - 05/26/16
A friend brought this out of his closet a week or two ago. He's a little hazy about when/where he picked it up long ago, but we both agree that we've never seen anything like it - especially the inlay on the barrel.

Anyone have any clue about this one's origins? I don't even know where to start! There are no manufacturer's name, model or caliber stamped into the metal.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's the right side, now look at the top:

[Linked Image]

More photos to come...
Posted By: GrandView Re: Mystery rifle - 05/26/16
Would like to see full length pictures of the other two, but this one seems to have a lot in common with this Spanish rifle........stock style, and external spring on the lock.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

http://www.firearmscollector.com/in...t_id=236&sort=pd.name&order=DESC

Just did some quick research, and this stock style is pretty consistent with Spanish rifles of the era.

I think you're gonna have to go to resources other than the Internet. Interesting project.
Posted By: Talus_in_Arizona Re: Mystery rifle - 05/26/16
You don't see that every day.
Posted By: Stoneybroke Re: Mystery rifle - 05/26/16
Spanish North africa?
I believe that is a Spanish Miquelet lock, but it deserves further research.

[Linked Image]
This is a 2010 thread about a poster's Spanish Miquelet lock rifle. I know nothing about this forum, but it might be a starting point for you. Several posters offered help with the rifle. It was a flintlock rather than percussion.......but I think you'll recognize the similarities.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14820
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Mystery rifle - 05/26/16
Miquelet lock rifle is probably correct but i would say Flemmish in origin . but that is just a guess. i lean to Japanese matchlocks. i have a book by W.W,Greener on the history of firearms and it will be in it. just have to find it. just moved and can't find anything.
© 24hourcampfire