Home
Posted By: Skatchewan Seeking Scope Advice - 05/29/16
I would like to put a new scope on my .243, and I'd like your suggestions.

Price range is about $250 dollars (in Canada, that will set me to $300 or a bit more)

Suggestions for a 3x9 Variable?
Posted By: ingwe Re: Seeking Scope Advice - 05/29/16
Easy.

Leupold VX2
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Seeking Scope Advice - 05/29/16
Originally Posted by ingwe
Easy.

Leupold VX2

Agreed
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Seeking Scope Advice - 05/29/16
Don't know how representative Cabela's Canada is of prices, but it shows a VX-2 3-9x40mm Duplex reticle costs $470...
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Seeking Scope Advice - 05/29/16
That's what they cost up here. And by the time you pay GST you've got $500 into it. For $300 CAD you could get a Burris FFII or Leup Rifleman. I've got a brand new VX2 3-9x40 that I haven't removed from the box that I'd sell for $400, but that's still over the $300 price limit in the OP.
If your prices up there put you over the edge, watch the classifieds here for a good used one...they are here almost every day.
Can't. It's against your ITAR rules. Scopes have to be exported/imported. That's why the exclusive Leupold importer up here has such a chokehold monopoly, and why prices are so much higher.
I love you people.

you are so law-abiding....
Haha, well besides that, we wouldn't actually be breaking any laws, but the guy sending it outside of the US would need to know that they are breaking US ITAR law, and as long as they're okay with taking that risk, then fill your boots smile
Posted By: kingston Re: Seeking Scope Advice - 05/29/16
I just read that ITAR doesn't cover scopes and sighting devices,,which are not manufactured to military specifications. See Note after 121.1 Category I
Originally Posted by kingston
I just read that ITAR doesn't cover scopes and sighting devices,,which are not manufactured to military specifications. See Note after 121.1 Category I

^^^^^^^

There you go.....
I've read it all. Try and order a scope from any major optics retailer like Midway or Optics Planet and see what they say.
Try buying one from the classifieds and see what the seller says...... whistle
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Seeking Scope Advice - 05/29/16
"SHOW ME THE MONEY!"

PM me next time you want to sell a quality scope grin
10-4
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

PM me next time you want to sell a quality scope grin

Dude, he has mostly Roopords... whistle
Jealousy is a sick passion..... cool
OK, here's what Category I says:
(b) Riflescopes manufactured to military specifications, and specifically designed or modified components therefor; firearm silencers and suppressors, including flash suppressors.

So, according to Formidilosisisis and Big Stick, you should be able to send all Roopies out of the country... smirk
I know. Believe me, I've scoured the regulations trying to find a loophole to get stuff up here from the US, but all the scope retailers say all scopes are restricted from export by ITAR regulations. Call or email ATF or HLS, and they'll probably tell you the same thing they told me.
Posted By: bellydeep Re: Seeking Scope Advice - 05/29/16
Well Jordan that makes me feel better. You guys have all that great hunting and fishing. At least we beat you on scopes!
And bullets, powder, primers, barrels, bolt rifles, AR's, etc. Hunting opportunity and quality we have in spades, but when it comes to all things rifle-related, supply is seriously lacking compared to you guys.
Posted By: dan_oz Re: Seeking Scope Advice - 05/29/16
For $300 CAD you could get a Burris FFII or Leup Rifleman.

I have a couple of Burris FFII. I think they are very good value for the money. I'd buy one over a Leupold Rifleman without a moment's hesitation.

Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Seeking Scope Advice - 05/30/16
Me, too. I was just pointing out that $300 doesn't get you nearly as much scope up here as it does in the US.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Seeking Scope Advice - 05/30/16
You could take a trip. Vacation in good old USA. Pick up what you need.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Seeking Scope Advice - 05/30/16
Homeland Security often has pre-border stops to check for people exporting restricted items...
Posted By: 338Rules Re: Seeking Scope Advice - 05/30/16
Can't. It's against your ITAR rules. Scopes have to be exported/imported. That's why the exclusive Leupold importer up here has such a chokehold monopoly, and why prices are so much higher.

Even if one did circumvent the ITAR regs and import a Leupold, from the US, the US warranty wouldn't be honoured in Canada by the exclusive importer. Hence the "chokehold" monopoly.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Seeking Scope Advice - 05/30/16
I don't know about Canadian prices, but these 3 are my top picks on a budget, around $200 in the states. In order of preference.

http://swfa.com/Burris-3-9x40-Fullfield-II-Rifle-Scope-P7932.aspx
http://swfa.com/Leupold-3-9x40-VX-1-Riflescope-P51827.aspx
http://swfa.com/Redfield-3-9x40-Revolution-Rifle-Scope-P44468.aspx

The VX-2 is about $100 more here and worth the difference to me. But I'd not feel handicapped hunting with any of the above.

Edited to add, There aren't any scopes less expensive that I would feel comfortable recommending.
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Seeking Scope Advice - 05/30/16
Originally Posted by JMR40
I don't know about Canadian prices, but these 3 are my top picks on a budget, around $200 in the states. In order of preference.

http://swfa.com/Burris-3-9x40-Fullfield-II-Rifle-Scope-P7932.aspx
http://swfa.com/Leupold-3-9x40-VX-1-Riflescope-P51827.aspx
http://swfa.com/Redfield-3-9x40-Revolution-Rifle-Scope-P44468.aspx

The VX-2 is about $100 more here and worth the difference to me. But I'd not feel handicapped hunting with any of the above.

Edited to add, There aren't any scopes less expensive that I would feel comfortable recommending.
One of my buds has the Redfield and is very pleased with it.
Posted By: Nrut Re: Seeking Scope Advice - 05/30/16
While I don't own a Sightron, I read good things about them..
This one is from a Canadian dealer and well with in your price range..
http://www.hirschprecision.com/inde...o&cPath=102_135&products_id=1591
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Seeking Scope Advice - 05/31/16
Make friends with a liberal American celebrity. When Trump is elected and they move to Canada, have them bring you a coupla Leupies.
Posted By: bangeye Re: Seeking Scope Advice - 05/31/16
FFII. Burris
Posted By: cath8r Re: Seeking Scope Advice - 06/01/16
I've got a Vx1 3-9×40 with lr reticle up on gunnutz. It's only been on a .17 remington it's whole life
It's for sale. Pm me if it's interesting to you.
Posted By: ldmay375 Re: Seeking Scope Advice - 06/01/16
Hell, I have had problems/Refusal from MidWay to ship to Alaska. Never an issue with anyone else. And several weeks later, I was able to get a scope from MidWay; but not the original one.
----------------------------------------------------------------
I've read it all. Try and order a scope from any major optics retailer like Midway or Optics Planet and see what they say.
Posted By: bobnob17 Re: Seeking Scope Advice - 06/02/16
Originally Posted by Skatchewan
I would like to put a new scope on my .243, and I'd like your suggestions.

Price range is about $250 dollars (in Canada, that will set me to $300 or a bit more)

Suggestions for a 3x9 Variable?

Redfield Revolution. I have two of the 2-7x33, a 3-9x40 and 4-12x40.

For the low price they've given me perfect service on a number of rifles including a 45-70 and 30-06 and have always held zero with full house loads.
Posted By: Skatchewan Re: Seeking Scope Advice - 06/05/16
Bushnell Legend? I have one on one of my rifles and like it a lot.
Posted By: baltz526 Re: Seeking Scope Advice - 06/05/16
Originally Posted by dan_oz

I have a couple of Burris FFII. I think they are very good value for the money. I'd buy one over a Leupold Rifleman without a moment's hesitation.

I read the leupold Rifleman was a VXIIc with a different name and finish. Never read any complaints when it was called a VXIIc
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Seeking Scope Advice - 06/05/16
Originally Posted by Skatchewan
Bushnell Legend? I have one on one of my rifles and like it a lot.

If constrained by a hard $300 limit, I think you'll be best served by a Burris FFII or Bushnell Elite 3-9x40. I'd try and find a Burris for $200-250 on the used market, if it were me.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Seeking Scope Advice - 06/05/16
Originally Posted by baltz526
Originally Posted by dan_oz

I read the leupold Rifleman was a VXIIc with a differ name and finish. Never read any complaints when it was called a VXIIc

I've owned VXII's and played with Rifleman 3-9x40's. They're not the same scope. The Rifleman with its frictions adjustments is more similar to the old Vari X-II.
Posted By: baltz526 Re: Seeking Scope Advice - 06/05/16
Maybe Vari-X IIc is what the Leupold tech was saying the Rifleman was, or in effect what the IIc was renamed.
Posted By: nick Re: Seeking Scope Advice - 06/06/16
I put a Redfield 3x9 on my TC Impact muzzleloader and so far I like it. Clear and holds zero through stiff recoil so far
© 24hourcampfire