Home
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael So John... - 06/24/16
I didn't want to ask in the Sierra thread, it would get lost in the static. Which 160 gr Gameking do you like so well, Spitzer or HP?

I picked up a bunch of HP blems at Sedalia last year & just might use them this fall.

Posted By: Mule Deer Re: So John... - 06/24/16
I use the spitzer, but have heard good things about the HP.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: So John... - 06/24/16
SG I have used quite a few of the Sierra BTHPs in .30 and 7mm. For light game or broadside shots on heavier game, I have had no problems..
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: So John... - 06/24/16
JB & Wyo, thank you. I've had no complaints with the 154 or 160 AB's, and IL's I've used, but, you know, I just like to try other stuff.

Wyo, have you used them in magnums or standard calibers? As always, I'll be using a 7x57 with, uh, modern loads.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: So John... - 06/24/16
Used the 160 gr GK in the 7x57 last year on deer.

[Linked Image]

Exit wound. Shot was 110 yards away and the muzzle velocity was 2710 fps.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: specneeds Re: So John... - 06/24/16
Good timing on the question - my daughters boyfriend has a Venture 30-06 and was planning on using it with 168 grain TTSX loads for elk this year. I loaded him a bunch of 165 SGK's for practicing........they shoot great about 3/4" at 225 yards for me the last group I shot with them.

The TTSX's are so-so about 1.5 " at 100 yards so far with a point of impact 6" lower than the Sierras at 225 yds.

Do I tell him use the super accurate SGK's or work on the ttsx loads until they are acceptable?

Our average length of shot has been close to 300 yards in the sage and oak brush we usually hunt in Colorado so pinpoint accuracy is very useful.
© 24hourcampfire