Home
Posted By: Wesley2 Nosler Ammo Prices - 06/30/16
270 cal accubond long range bullets are $0.54 each and loaded ammo is $57.50/box
270 cal accubond bullets are $0.68 each and loaded ammo is $43.80/box

What gives???

I don't understand why the accubond long range ammo is so expensive-
Posted By: Paul_C Re: Nosler Ammo Prices - 06/30/16
At the risk of being a smart a$$... It's because people will pay for it. Maybe not me or you but enough to move the inventory
Posted By: bellydeep Re: Nosler Ammo Prices - 06/30/16
My guess would be that ammo companies don't profit the same from every box
Posted By: rnovi Re: Nosler Ammo Prices - 06/30/16
Supply v. Demand
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Nosler Ammo Prices - 06/30/16
Don't know where your prices come from, but regardless, the LR ammo is likely a small or special run and the higher price reflects the higher per-round cost due to the expense of setting up the production line. Volume runs are more cost efficient.

If you add up the retail cost of the components and what it would cost you to duplicate the loads yourself, the price is reasonable. Subsequent loads re-using the brass would be much lower of course.

The price is the price. Pay it, buy some of the other excellent ammo available for less, or load your own. Personally, based on reports here about the LRABs, I feel that there are many bullets available that are better choices for general purpose use, even at pretty long ranges.
Posted By: QuQ Re: Nosler Ammo Prices - 06/30/16
I would be happy with those prices! As reference, .270 Win Nosler Accubond 130gr ammo (box of 20) is $80 in South Africa!
Posted By: doubletap Re: Nosler Ammo Prices - 07/01/16
Tell your boss that the cost of living has gone up and you need a raise.
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: Nosler Ammo Prices - 07/01/16
This may help. Where they say "umbrella" in the video below, pretend they said "Nosler long range ammunition".

[video:youtube]8-yWKgZv9JY[/video]

David
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Nosler Ammo Prices - 07/01/16
Originally Posted by doubletap
Tell your boss that the cost of living has gone up and you need a raise.

Cost of killin' increase....
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Nosler Ammo Prices - 07/01/16
I don't know anyone that is serious about shooting that buys factory ammo. That price isn't bad when you figure the average hunter only shoots half a box a year before hunting season...
Posted By: Bbear Re: Nosler Ammo Prices - 07/01/16
For a new (to me) caliber, especially one I can't make brass out of something else without jumping through a lot of hoops, I'll usually pick up 1 or 2 boxes of factory stuff just for break-in. After that, I'll work up loads on the 1x fired brass and hope to find a reasonable replacement.
For the 'higher' end rounds, what you quoted doesn't seem that far off. For decent stuff, that just might shoot as accurate or even more accurate, you can find the same much (or at least somewhat) cheaper.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Nosler Ammo Prices - 07/01/16
I like the pricing on their accubonds -old style 7mm 160 = $30.50 for 50 ct. box =$61 for 100ct..
New LR 168gr.accubond $49 per 100ct.

I'ma berger hornady kind of guy me.

Factory ammo sure is expensive -I haven't shot a centerfire factory round in 15 years -.
Posted By: sidepass Re: Nosler Ammo Prices - 07/01/16
There are other options but some cost more per unit. But thats the cost of doing business.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Nosler Ammo Prices - 07/02/16
Just a simple box of "Big Green" cup and core .270 runs $20 these days

Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Nosler Ammo Prices - 07/02/16
Originally Posted by Wesley2
270 cal accubond long range bullets are $0.54 each and loaded ammo is $57.50/box
270 cal accubond bullets are $0.68 each and loaded ammo is $43.80/box

What gives???

I don't understand why the accubond long range ammo is so expensive-
Add in the brass,primer,powder,labor and packaging along with profit.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Nosler Ammo Prices - 07/02/16
At a 1.07 each for brass with the bullet = 1.61, excluding powder, prmer , labor etc.
Posted By: scottfromdallas Re: Nosler Ammo Prices - 07/02/16
Originally Posted by rnovi
Supply v. Demand

+1. Does the long range Accubond do something special cheaper ammo won't? You can get loaded 130 Federal Fusions for $23. I mean it's a 270 Win so your options are almost endless.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Nosler Ammo Prices - 07/02/16
unless it is a special hunt you have spent thousands of dollars on then use the 23 dollars ammo for your hunting and target practice and better yet start loading your own.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Nosler Ammo Prices - 07/03/16
Shooters Pro Shop has the 150 grain LRAB on sale for $33/100 right now. Stock up...

http://www.shootersproshop.com/shoo...ond-long-range-270-150gr-blem-100ct.html
Posted By: Wesley2 Re: Nosler Ammo Prices - 07/03/16
Apparently I didn't clarify my question and unintentionally mislead most folks based the range of responses received.

Let's try this again....Prices are from Nosler's website.

Why is the loaded LRAB ammo 31% more than the standard accubond ammo when the LRAB bullets are 25% cheaper (per bullet) than the standard accubond bullets? I expected the LRAB bullets to me more expensive than the standard accubond bullets but that is not the case.

Do they not use the exact same components expect for different bullets?

If so- why the 56% markup to load a cheaper bullet onto the exact same components? (LRAB ammo vs the standard accubond ammo)

Just wondering if someone could logically explain the cost difference in the loaded ammo (i.e.- LRAB ammo uses a more expensive powder, etc.)

The free market will ultimately determine ammo prices along with everything else and I'm fine with that. I'm wasn't complaining about the cost of factory ammo, just wondering if there was a reason for the inflated cost that I was unaware of.

For the record I do like fusion ammo but I have not been impressed with the length of time it takes to kill an animal past 300 yards.

Unfortunately I don't have time to reload at this point in my life.
Posted By: scottfromdallas Re: Nosler Ammo Prices - 07/03/16
My theory would be long range shooting is the new fad so anything marketed long range on the box will be at a premium price.

I can't explain why the bullets are cheaper other than they come 100 count vs 50 which usually means cheaper to package.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Nosler Ammo Prices - 07/03/16
Part of the difference you're seeing in sales prices of the bullets is due to the ABLRs being sold in boxes of 100 versus 50 for the AB. Mostly though, the difference in prices of the ammo is due, as somebody else pointed out, to how many of each they make and sell.
Posted By: Draftmule Re: Nosler Ammo Prices - 07/03/16
WESLEY2 -

Nosler long range AB bullets to me as a novice reloader are
more challenging to dial in. In addition may not perform as
most hunters may expect at other than very long pokes.

Kimber7mans suggestion of visiting shootersproshop will be
a good learning tool for you. It is owned by Nosler but
moves in addition to the run of the mill, seconds and blems.
From this site you can gain a sense of what is popular and
what is not. The fact is regular Accubonds and others like
E tips are consistently high demand and Longrange not always
so much. Also Nosler has excellent tech support call em.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Nosler Ammo Prices - 07/03/16
Don`t buy if the price is too high.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Nosler Ammo Prices - 07/03/16
Friend, several people have suggested possible and plausible reasons for the difference, but nothing, apparently that you believe or like. Price isn't always a direct reflection of the cost to the manufacturer. The difference may simply be a marketing decision by Nosler.

My dog eats piles of a certain doggy treat. For several years, one local store sold a one-pound box for $2.99 and a three-pound box for $3.19 or $3.29. About six months ago, they stopped carrying the one-pound box and started raising the price of the three-pounder. Now it's well over four bucks. I went into another store a couple weeks ago and the three-pounder was $2.99. Both stores are huge outfits with lots of buying power, so the likely explanation for the difference in price is someone's marketing decision. They price stuff based on what they think they can get or sometimes just to establish a market or even to lure people into the store in hopes they'll buy other stuff as well.
Posted By: roninflag Re: Nosler Ammo Prices - 07/03/16
Factory ammo can be cheaper in some ways. once you try a dozen different loads and powders and primer and seating depths to get your factory barrel to shoot ; your time is worth about 50 cents an hour
Posted By: Azar Re: Nosler Ammo Prices - 07/06/16
I'd gladly get paid $0.50 an hour for trying a dozen different loads and powders and primers and seating depths...

It beats mowing the lawn for free.
Posted By: hanco Re: Nosler Ammo Prices - 07/13/16
Sight in with ballistic tips, use them to shoot pigs, does, and to practice. Save accubonds for trophy game. They shoot to same point of impact.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Nosler Ammo Prices - 07/13/16
Originally Posted by Pappy348
....Price isn't always a direct reflection of the cost to the manufacturer. The difference may simply be a marketing decision by Nosler.

In a capitalist society like ours price is almost never a reflection of the cost to manufacture an item. A manufacturer or seller prices something at what the market will bear. If they can't make a profit at the price the market will bear then they either quit selling it or find ways to reduce the manufacturing costs. If it costs X amount to make then they're going to sell it at X plus the profit margin they want at a minimum. If they can get more for it then they're not going to sell it for less just because it cost them less to make, they're going to pocket the extra profit. That's just the way it works.

In Nosler's case I suspect that because the ammo is marketed as "long range" then the average hunter thinks it's better than standard accubond loaded ammo. Most will pick the long range stuff because they see it as premium even though it's really not. Nosler is capitalizing on this by pricing their LR ammo higher and pocketing the extra profit made off of the ignorance of their clientele. As another poster said, serious shooters generally don't buy factory ammo so those Nosler are targeting are more likely to fall for the ruse. As P.T.Barnum said, there's a sucker born every minute.
© 24hourcampfire