Home
Posted By: hanco White wild turkeys - 07/30/16
Has anyone ever seen anyone white wild turkey? We have a few on our lease near Burnet Texas.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: White wild turkeys - 07/30/16
Saw one about 2 months ago, got a bad picture of it somewhere. It wasn't 'stark' white, more a light grayish white, more on the white side.

It was about a mile from my house. First I'd ever seen.
Posted By: drover Re: White wild turkeys - 07/30/16
We have a couple of different flocks near our place and each flock has a white one in it. Also one of the flocks has one that is sort of a "pinto", it is mostly dark but also has some white on it.

drover
Posted By: hanco Re: White wild turkeys - 07/30/16
Some are almost all white, some kinda mixed. We have hundreds of turkeys. I keep a sling shot in game bag to run the SOB's off. The eat up all the corn I scatter on roads for deer.
Posted By: ingwe Re: White wild turkeys - 07/30/16
Why not just kill them and eat them? They're goooood..... grin
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: White wild turkeys - 07/30/16
There was a very nearly all-while Merriam's gobbler in a flock about six miles from town this spring. Nobody's seen it for a while, and only 25 tags are awarded in this area, with no reports a human hunter took a white bird. It might have been picked off by a coyote. It REALLY stood out, and the valley where the flock lives is very open.
Posted By: 1minute Re: White wild turkeys - 07/30/16
A white one with some black barring. No pics though.
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: White wild turkeys - 07/30/16
In a group of about 25 hens there was one the was mostly white with some bluish coloring.
They really do stand out. I see them in the middle of our lease. I hunt in the north part of lease. Big spring fed creek runs through lease, many Pecan trees in creek bottom. We have tons of Live oaks to go with the Juniper. When we have acorns and pecans even the pigs abandon the corn feeders. Deer hunting tough until they are gone. Very hard to get a shot off with a bow at a turkey. About the only way with a bow is a bow box on the ground. They can't see in the box.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: White wild turkeys - 07/30/16
We have a schit load of turkeys around here; I've never seen a white one (or one that looked at all unusual, for that matter.)
Turkeys rate just a notch above wild pigs. They can clean up a bunch of corn like vacuum cleaners very quickly. They are fun to try to call in during spring season.
Originally Posted by hanco
Turkeys rate just a notch above wild pigs. They can clean up a bunch of corn like vacuum cleaners very quickly. They are fun to try to call in during spring season.

Hush your mouth. I'd sooner hunt turkey than deer.
Posted By: rost495 Re: White wild turkeys - 07/30/16
They really do stand out. I see them in the middle of our lease. I hunt in the north part of lease. Big spring fed creek runs through lease, many Pecan trees in creek bottom. We have tons of Live oaks to go with the Juniper. When we have acorns and pecans even the pigs abandon the corn feeders. Deer hunting tough until they are gone. Very hard to get a shot off with a bow at a turkey. About the only way with a bow is a bow box on the ground. They can't see in the box.

Turkeys are not hard with a bow on the ground in some type of brush blind, or espeically a box as noted.

Out of a tree I only made it work once.

Without a box and on the ground, you just have to wait until they are faced away to draw/shoot with a bow.

I've killed lots with a bow.

Never a white or light colored one though. Never seen one, other than 2 I mounted that friends shot. Both of those were basically light tan.
Posted By: rost495 Re: White wild turkeys - 07/30/16
Originally Posted by Steelhead

LOL, its fun finding out what others like.

I had a go at turkeys since a kid. Thats all I ever wanted. Once I figured out how to call them, it was pretty easy. And then we did the stuff you aren't supposed to.. call em over fences, across creeks, across game proof 8 foot fences and so on.

Finally got bored with them after shooting em with bows and pistols and shotguns etc..... And then guiding for them for years.

Deer, while I don't consider them either harder or easier, just have more draw for me in the end.

And then to think that I love to hunt ducks but could mostly care less about turkeys. I regularly pass up invites....
Posted By: ingwe Re: White wild turkeys - 07/30/16
Originally Posted by rost495

The turkey guys just about go catatonic when I berate them for using a shotgun to ground sluice a bird during mating season....
Posted By: Tejano Re: White wild turkeys - 07/30/16
We had a bunch at one lease in Mason County. These were from the Toms raiding the Turkey coop for a little strange. Not albino wild ones.

Another place had Turkey/Peacock hybrids. They were beautiful and looked almost like the Osceolated Turkeys from the Yucatan. They were tasty too but I decided to leave them alone after the first one. It had darker meat almost like a giant Pheasant.

I had a go at turkeys since a kid. Thats all I ever wanted. Once I figured out how to call them, it was pretty easy. And then we did the stuff you aren't supposed to.. call em over fences, across creeks, across game proof 8 foot fences and so on.

Finally got bored with them after shooting em with bows and pistols and shotguns etc..... And then guiding for them for years.

Deer, while I don't consider them either harder or easier, just have more draw for me in the end.

And then to think that I love to hunt ducks but could mostly care less about turkeys. I regularly pass up invites....

I enjoy proactive hunting. Calling for ducks, calling for Sitka blacktails, calling for turkey and trying to out maneuver them.

Sitting in a blind/deer stand is about as enjoyable as pounding 10-penny nails through the head of my cock.
Posted By: jt402 Re: White wild turkeys - 07/30/16
Escaped domestic turkeys cross breed.
Posted By: milespatton Re: White wild turkeys - 07/30/16
I'd sooner hunt turkey than deer.

I know a lot of people like that. I don't understand it, but there it is. miles
Originally Posted by milespatton
I'd sooner hunt turkey than deer.

I know a lot of people like that. I don't understand it, but there it is. miles

It depends on the definition of deer hunting is. For most I've met it means sitting in a blind/stand till their hemorrhoids are screaming.

That is the most horrific thing I can think of doing.
Its way more fun to jump deer and Javelinas out of canyons. Shooting them on the run is fun if the place is open enough. We hunted in Ozona like that a lot.
Jumping them would be fun. Done that a few times.

My two favorites though have been still hunting and killing bedded bucks within 30 yards.
Posted By: aalf Re: White wild turkeys - 08/01/16
Has anyone ever seen anyone white wild turkey? We have a few on our lease near Burnet Texas.

Shot a white jake several years back. He did have a black beard though. Took him to a local guy to mount, but never saw it again. Got an old print around here somewhere.
Posted By: rost495 Re: White wild turkeys - 08/01/16

I enjoy proactive hunting. Calling for ducks, calling for Sitka blacktails, calling for turkey and trying to out maneuver them.

Sitting in a blind/deer stand is about as enjoyable as pounding 10-penny nails through the head of my cock.

Not everyone sits in deer blinds waiting.... though I"m forced to at our deer lease, I am not at home or other places and tend to drift away from blinds if its allowed.... FWIW.

I love hunting ducks. Don't care for turkeys' anymore.

Hope to do a lot more sitka stuff in coming years for sure.

And hope to get the time to devote to bowhunting again. There is a time consuming challenge to that for sure. Much more so than lift a gun and kill something. But like some things its very time consuming.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: White wild turkeys - 08/01/16
Never have seen a white one in the wild. Be interesting to learn if it is a domestic or a natural mutation. Maybe the wildlife biologists can comment.

Turkeys are very common on my lease, but not easy to hunt. There was only one guy on our lease that actively hunts them in the spring, trying to call them into shotgun range. The rest of the time they're a target of opportunity. They seem to do most of their struttin in the middle of the farm to market road, where you can't shoot them.

Occasionally one wanders past the deer stand and runs off the deer. Then we cheerfully shoot them.

[Linked Image]

They sure make good eating, cooked in a slow cooker smile

Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: White wild turkeys - 08/01/16
Hanco: Over the years I have seen several white "Wild Turkey's" in eastern Montana.
One of my Hunting partners killed a large one with his English side by side shotgun.
I am not sure what causes them but in a conversation with a Montana Game Warden in that area he advocated we shoot them.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Tejano Re: White wild turkeys - 08/01/16
It can be either an albino wild turkey or domestic genes Where they have free range domestic Turkeys it can happen more frequently.

If there is a choice I agree it is good advice to shoot the white ones. Especially if it is suspected that it is because of domestic genes. They are not as hardy as the wild birds.

I have only seen hens which aren't legal except in certain counties. I also suspect the Tom's may kill the white Tom's but have not witnessed this.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: White wild turkeys - 08/01/16
Originally Posted by ingwe

The turkey guys just about go catatonic when I berate them for using a shotgun to ground sluice a bird during mating season....

I think the .25-20 is about ideal.
Posted By: RifleDude Re: White wild turkeys - 08/01/16
I've seen the "white turkeys" quite a bit on the property where I deer hunt. The ones I see aren't completely white as you'd expect with an albino critter and don't look like domestic turkeys. They are predominantly light gray with dark brown/black tipped feathers, but look just like any other wild turkey otherwise. So far, the ones I've seen have all been hens, though the condition is found in toms as well.

The gray/white turkeys I'm referring to are known as "smoke phase" turkeys and occur naturally from recessive genes. They are not the result of interbreeding with domestic turkeys as is commonly believed. They look just like the one in the photo in this article:
http://www.turkeyandturkeyhunting.c...e-phase-turkeys-are-not-domestic-hybrids

Although these smoke phase turkeys are fairly rare as a percentage of the whole population, they aren't all that uncommon. According to everything I've read, it's more common in Easterns than the other wild turkey varieties.
Posted By: hanco Re: White wild turkeys - 08/01/16
Some leases don't allow a hunter to hunt on foot. I like going during the week. You don't have to worry about being shot.
Posted By: Scott F Re: White wild turkeys - 08/01/16

I almost agree. Never hunted from a blind except for ducks.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: White wild turkeys - 08/01/16
We had white turkeys among three different flocks around here a few years ago. Ol boy that owns the property behind ours put a modest bounty on the one in his flock. My kids adopted it as "their turkey" so I couldn't shoot it.
Posted By: 270winchester Re: White wild turkeys - 08/01/16
I've seen a couple white ones in flocks of normal colored wild turkeys in the foothills of the Blue Mountains in Washington state near Dayton.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: White wild turkeys - 08/01/16
Thread got me Goggling and ran across this from MI DNR.

Smokey-gray (white) turkeys

Smokey-gray wild turkeys are rare but not uncommon in Michigan. This color variation in wild turkeys is a recessive trait, more common in females than in males, present in Michigan due to the wild turkey restoration program using birds that were acquired from Iowa in the 1980s. Some of the birds from Iowa carried this trait. Through our restoration activities, the smokey-gray trait was passed through the southern Michigan population of wild turkeys. This smokey-gray color aberration in wild turkeys is not an indicator of birds with domestic turkey genetics. It is a trait similar to melinism or albinism and is found in wild turkeys. On average, hen (female) turkeys weigh about 9.4 pounds and tom (male) turkeys weigh 19.2 pounds.
Posted By: LazyV Re: White wild turkeys - 08/01/16
Only seen two. Took two seasons for my buddy to close the deal on the white one in the picture below.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cdb Re: White wild turkeys - 08/02/16
I saw a purple turkey after a ZZ Top concert in November 1975. It was on the road going from Galveston to Jamaica Beach.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: White wild turkeys - 08/02/16
Dude - did you see that?!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: hanco Re: White wild turkeys - 08/02/16
I was at that concert. At the Coliseum downtown. I was a bit younger then. Didnt see any purple turkey. You must had better weed than we did!!
Posted By: cdb Re: White wild turkeys - 08/03/16
We had more than weed. I thought it was at the Summit but it might have been the coliseum. We left straight from the concert and drove to a friends beach house for the weekend. Everyone in the van was passed out except for the driver - me. I saw a lot of weird stuff. I was 16. The cowboy surfer culture I grew up in was cool.

Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Dude - did you see that?!
[Linked Image]

The one I saw was 100% purple like it was illuminated by a black light.
Posted By: Seven_Heaven Re: White wild turkeys - 08/03/16
Originally Posted by Tejano
I also suspect the Tom's may kill the white Tom's but have not witnessed this.

Have never seen a wild white turkey in my area.

That said, it still concerns me that the white ones are being killed by turkeys of color. Therefore I am starting a new movement called WTLM, White Turkey Lives Matter.

After receiving sufficient funds for organizing, advertising, etc., we will march on the game departments of every state and demand protection for these poor unfortunate birds.

Please PM me for info on where to send donations!
Posted By: hanco Re: White wild turkeys - 08/03/16
That ZZ Top concert was at the summit. The wife keeps all of those ticket stubs. All the way back to CCR in 69. White turkeys do matter.
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven
Originally Posted by Tejano
I also suspect the Tom's may kill the white Tom's but have not witnessed this.

Have never seen a wild white turkey in my area.

That said, it still concerns me that the white ones are being killed by turkeys of color. Therefore I am starting a new movement called WTLM, White Turkey Lives Matter.

After receiving sufficient funds for organizing, advertising, etc., we will march on the game departments of every state and demand protection for these poor unfortunate birds.

Please PM me for info on where to send donations!

I'll only march if I can open carry my turkey gun.
© 24hourcampfire