Home
Posted By: Mule Deer Rifle Loony Hats - 08/13/16
From the number of responses to the thread on the new, extra-large Rifle Loony hats, it's apparent some Campfire members didn't know we've been offering "standard" Rifle Loony hats for a number of years. They're $20 shipped, while the extra-large hats are $25, due to the fact that we have to pay more for them even before the logo's applied.

There's been a little run on the standard hats, and right now we don't have camo and cobalt blue in stock, but we do have slate, sage, tan and a slightly subdued blaze orange. The extra-large hats come in blue, black, tan and gray.

The standard hats fit traditional sizes up to 7-1/2, and the extra-large sizes from 7-1/2 up. So far we haven't found any rifle loony with a head too big for the extra-large models....
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/13/16
Did you have Stick test one?

(Mwahahahaha!)
Posted By: lastround Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/13/16
glad to hear about the X-large size. I'll get one ordered.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/13/16
Son of the Gael,

Should probably add a decal of some sort for that test....
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/13/16
John, do you have a link to a picture of one?
Posted By: mudhen Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/13/16
http://www.riflesandrecipes.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=28
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/13/16
Bruce,

Not yet for the extra-large ones. I'll send you a couple via e-mail.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/13/16
Hmmm, good looking hat, or cap I guess.

I liked the description of Loony-loonie.

Loonie sounds like what you throw to the Dancing girls in Medicine Hat.

What kind of style are they? Would you call them sort of a low front or more of a "farmer" style with the tall front?

I have a exceedingly large noggin, the contemporary style low front looks like a yarmulke on me.

Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/14/16
The extra-large hats solve that problem. I wear an above-average size myself, 7-3/8 in traditional hat size, but the crown of extra-large hats covers my eyebrows!
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/15/16
Got my fathead hat today. I got the Tan one with the miracle fabric. Light weight looks good fits I really like the adjustment band. Nicely done John. Your wife is pleasant to deal with on the phone.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/15/16
Very glad you like it! Hope you're doing well.

Along with being pleasant, she's the one who conceived and designed the hats....
Im doing good hope to bloody the hat on a BC Moose. Tell the Misses good job on the hat. Ill be passing thru your area on the way to BC the wife and I are gonna take a quick trip thru Glacier National Park and then Im putting her on a plane back home from Missoula before I head north.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/15/16
Charles...if you are going through this way.......If Im home, you are welcome. If not, you can sleep with Rommel.Im pretty well on the move Sept./Oct. but let me know....
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/15/16
Where in BC? I got a nice bull in the northern part of the province a while back. It was a 2-day drive even from here!

When are you coming through? Glacier can be great in early fall--unless it snows.

Tom
tentative plans are we are staying at Bozeman on 9-22 and then heading up to Glacier on the 23rd and staying overnight up there and then taking the Going to Sun road on the 24th and ending up at Missoula the evening of the 24th. Wife will fly out of Missoula on the morning of the 25th.

I was hoping to have time on the 23rd to take you and Ingwe wife to lunch. Ill pm you my # I was also planning on stopping in at your old place of employment and looking at guns.

I had originally planned on driving up by myself as my wife does not want to leave the US. I kept asking her if she wanted to ride up to Montana and then fly back and she kept saying no. I finally asked one to many times and she called my bluff. So I changed plans to leave a little earlier so we can make a mini vacation out of it. Should be fun.

John
Ill be hunting near Smithers BC Im figuring 2 days to get there from Missoula. Im to meet the outfitter on the 27th Im leaving Missoula on the 25th. Last week of September, first week of October.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/16/16
Yep, two days drive would be about right. You should have a great time.

I would suggest all of us getting together for lunch on your way through, except we're probably going to be upland bird hunting in eastern Montana, just before the great invasion of pheasant hunters.
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/16/16
If you are around on the 23rd I would enjoy meeting you and Eileen.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/16/16
Will definitely let you know if we are. Right now we're still coordinating our bird-travels with various other people.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/16/16
Can we please think of a better name for a rifleman than "Loony"?

Rifle Aficionado.

Rifle Enthusiast.

site with other names for aficionado

Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/17/16
Webster's def. of Loony:

Examples of loony in a sentence

Every family includes someone who's a little loony.

<that's got to be the looniest idea I've ever heard>

"Loony" in Websters
Posted By: SKane Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/17/16
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Can we please think of a better name for a rifleman than "Loony"?

Rifle Aficionado.

Rifle Enthusiast.

site with other names for aficionado

If a genie granted me three wishes, I'm quite certain I'd use one of them to send an electrical surge to your IP address.
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/17/16
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Did you have Stick test one?

(Mwahahahaha!)

Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Should probably add a decal of some sort for that test....

Maybe you could get some of Travis's GFY bumper stickers to mash on there...
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/17/16
Webster's def. of Loony:

"Loony" in Websters
My cap for when I go shooting.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/17/16
Savage 99,

Anybody beyond the most basic definitions (which of course, YOU are not likely to do) of "loony" would find dozens of other meanings, including eccentric and foolish. Which apply perfectly, at certain moments, to the people who consider themselves rifle loonies.

While some writers used "aficionado" decades ago, it's far too tame for who we are, not mention pretentious, and far too long to fit across the front of a baseball cap. And even if it did, it's not the right word for who and what we are.

In fact, your objection reminds me of a guy who wrote to Wolfe Publishing years ago, objecting to a sentence I wrote containing the phrase "the subspecies of humanity sometimes referred to as a rifle loony."

Not only did he object to "loony" for the same reason as you (a very literal lack of understanding of the complexity and flexbility of American English), but the word "subspecies." Apparently he thought it meant subhuman.

Hey, come to think of it, was that you?
Posted By: beretzs Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/17/16
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Webster's def. of Loony:

"Loony" in Websters
My cap for when I go shooting.

[Linked Image]

Elk hunter, you've gotta pass me the Intel on where to get that hat!!
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/17/16
Ole Savage99 is always good for a laugh. Whether he knows it or not.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/18/16
There's a hat store in the local mall that does embroidering.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/18/16
Ordered and received 2 hats. One is a Christmas gift for my hunting buddy. Excellent quality and ultra fast shipping. It's all good here.
Thanks Eileen!

and John.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/18/16
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
There's a hat store in the local mall that does embroidering.

Got it... Going on the hunt... Thank you
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/18/16
You're welcome.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/19/16
I'm thinking that it shouldn't take an IQ level much above my size 12 boot to figure out the difference betwixt a cap and a hat!!
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/19/16
That's an interesting observation, but if you researched the meanings of hat and cap the "difference" might not be so obvious as you make it. Along with access to the Internet, our house contains copies of the most recent printed versions of Webster's unabridged dictionary, the most accepted reference for American English, and the Oxford English Dictionary, which is considered even more of an overall English resource because it contains far more of the etymology of words.

You can research these for a long time and find a lot of interesting stuff, but what it basically comes down to is a "cap" is a type of hat, just like bonnets are a type of hat. Some definitions suggest hats have brims, that caps are just a tight covering for the head, but the Rifle Loony hats/caps have brims, though they're not as large as the brims on some other types of hats.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/21/16
The inclusion of words that drag our rifles into rude speak do not make us look even good let alone better.

Posted By: ingwe Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/21/16
[Linked Image]
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/21/16
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/21/16
"Rude speak"?

You are indeed kinda slow. "Rifle loony" has been commonly used as a synonym for rifle aficionado and enthusiast for at least 15 years now. Did you just realize that? Or were you so busy surfing the Internet for one-sentence answers to everything that you didn't notice? Or explaining, yet again, that .22 caliber rifles can't kill deer?

Decades ago many shooters terms like rifle crank, gun bug, etc. Were those considered "rude speak" back when you were young?
Posted By: DesertMuleDeer Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/21/16
The selective use of the ignore feature has greatly enhanced my campfire experience. I have only used a couple of times: once for some guy with Savage in his name and once for stick something or other, dumb stick or little stick, slow or something like that.
Posted By: SKane Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/21/16

Decades ago many shooters terms like rifle crank, gun bug, etc. Were those considered "rude speak" back when you were young?

JB, get ready for his copy/paste of the meanings of "crank" and "bug" from dictionary.com. laugh
Posted By: geedubya Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/21/16
What's the old saying,

Been there,

done that,

got the hat (or cap in this instance)

[Linked Image]

Still have the original,

Prolly ought to update it though

JAPPFT,

GWB
geedubya,

Hey, that's the hat RIFLE magazine offered for a while! Those haven't been available for a while. Ours has a different logo: "Grade A, Certified Rifle Loony."

Have worn mine to a bunch of gun shows and so far most people who see it smile--or even laugh, especially the wives of rifle loonies.

Once in a while, however, some guy doesn't get it. He'll say, "What's a rifle loony?" Whereupon his wife says, "You are!"
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/21/16
"Rude speak"?

You are indeed kinda slow. "Rifle loony" has been commonly used as a synonym for rifle aficionado and enthusiast for at least 15 years now. Did you just realize that? Or were you so busy surfing the Internet for one-sentence answers to everything that you didn't notice? Or explaining, yet again, that .22 caliber rifles can't kill deer?

Look where that rude speak has got us!

We had writers with the stature of Townsend Whelan and Jack O'Connor.

Now we have reaction to 'big-stick' on here.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: geedubya Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/21/16
geedubya,

Hey, that's the hat RIFLE magazine offered for a while! Those haven't been available for a while. Ours has a different logo: "Grade A, Certified Rifle Loony."

FWIW for a period of time, before the internet got so sophitocated I think I took all of Wolfe's different mags, plus Shooting Times, Gun n Ammo, The Accurate Rifle and Shooting Times( until their demise) Todd Kindler's Small Caliber News and was a VHA member. Probably a dozen or more subscriptions. I think the only one that comes now is Varmint Extreme, and they just send it!.

Not to blow smoke up your skirt, but the reason I purchased the cap was not because of Wolfe, but rather a guy whose initials happen to be JB.

[Linked Image]

BTW that is the Nosler #4 Manual.

I've been hunting critters in some form or fashion since 1957 when I learned to twist a rabbit out of a hole with a forked stick. Never much followed the crowd, but I found that my experiences, mirrored what you wrote (when our paths crossed).

Best,

GWB

Thanks! Hope your hunting goes well this fall.
Posted By: efw Re: Rifle Loony Hats - 08/21/16
The inclusion of words that drag our rifles into rude speak do not make us look even good let alone better.

Just when I wonder whether this guy should be on ignore or not he doubles down on his ignorant humorlessness.

Loony is rude speak?? Huh?
© 24hourcampfire