Home
Posted By: Pappy348 6.5 Query for Mule Deer - 08/13/16
John,

Do you think the longer neck, sharper shoulder, and slightly lower max powder charges of the 6.5 Creedmore might result in a significantly longer barrel life over a .260, or is it just Loony hair-splitting?

Thanks.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 6.5 Query for Mule Deer - 08/13/16
They all would help extend barrel life, but exactly how much would also depend on the powder used and the barrel. Plus, of course, how hot it gets shot!
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 6.5 Query for Mule Deer - 08/13/16
I was operating under the assumption that those factors you mentioned would be pretty much equal. Given the near-dearth of .260 rifles available, I suppose it's really mostly a question for re-barrelers and those doing a build. As I noted in an earlier thread, I've got all medium capacity 6.5s pretty much surrounded by other stuff, so none of them are likely in my immediate future, barring a burglary or fire.

Thanks again.
Posted By: 338Rules Re: 6.5 Query for Mule Deer - 08/29/16
The 6.5 Creedmoor has better barrel life than the 6.5-284
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 6.5 Query for Mule Deer - 08/30/16
Ya think?🤔

25% less powder just might have something to do with that.
Posted By: RickyD Re: 6.5 Query for Mule Deer - 08/30/16
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Ya think?🤔

25% less powder just might have something to do with that.
That, and there are those who try to make it into a 264 Win Mag.

I have a new barrel on my 6.5x284 Serengeti. Haven't shot it much but did get this out of it:

[Linked Image]

Not bad for the third group out of the rifle. smile
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 6.5 Query for Mule Deer - 08/30/16
I think that just might be good enough... laugh

Nice to see somebody actually getting their money's worth for a change.
Posted By: 338Rules Re: 6.5 Query - 08/30/16
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I think that just might be good enough... laugh

Nice to see somebody actually getting their money's worth for a change.

With all the discussion about 6.5 CM vs .260 Rem or 6.5x47 Lapua, I haven't heard much about the 6.5x284 lately, other than a tendency to burn throats too early.

Are they not known for accuracy, or is it just a short accuracy life, with their shoulder, neck & throat geometry ?
Posted By: Rusky Re: 6.5 Query - 09/04/16
Upon reading these types of posts I wonder how much money is spent on the ammo to wear out a barrel. Quality ammo today costs just under a dollar a round to make. Lapua brass a buck a piece, quality bullets at half a buck a piece. And, we're not talking about competition guns. Just food for thought.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: 6.5 Query - 09/04/16
I've never seen an actual 6.5X284 rifle in the flesh. I guess I've been to happy with my 260. I have bought a bunch of the 6.5X284 brass though. It is great brass for making a cartridge that I use in a BLR as well as a Winchester 100. It is the 7X6.5X284.
© 24hourcampfire