Home
Going to spin up some 7/08 loads using Win760. Powder is new to me, but I have read that Magnum Primers are needed for ball powders, and conversely that magnum primers are not needed! I have both, but would prefer to start off on the right path. Anyone care to share their experience? Thanks
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Magnum Primers for 760?? - 09/21/16
It depends a lot on the particular powder, but also the cartridge/amount of powder. Magnum primers aren't absolutely necessary, but are often worth a try if accuracy isn't what you're hoping for.
The 7-08 I first loaded for worked fine with either of the CCI primers, but I leaned toward the 'hotter' one since I often carried that rifle when things got rather cold. 760/414, as dirty as it is credited for burning, has always been a great match for the 7mm-08 IME.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Magnum Primers for 760?? - 09/23/16
7mm-08 and Win 760 should get along fine with Standard Primers Fed 210M would be my choice
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Magnum Primers for 760?? - 09/23/16
760 is my go to powder for the 243, and I've also used in the 22-250, 7-08, and 308. Never used a magnum primer, except when I used it for a 270WSM.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Magnum Primers for 760?? - 09/23/16
I used to load 760 in my 7-08 with 140 Partitions years ago. I used WLR primers.

AFAIK, WLR are the hottest burning of the non-magnum primers, and they would still be my first choice, 20+ years later.....
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Magnum Primers for 760?? - 09/23/16
WLR primers are designed for Winchester Ball powders. I would try them first and go to another kind only if results were poor. But I doubt they would be.
Posted By: Chainsaw Re: Magnum Primers for 760?? - 09/23/16
I agree 100% with Rocky Raab on using WLR with W760.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Magnum Primers for 760?? - 09/24/16
Originally Posted by Westernmassman
Going to spin up some 7/08 loads using Win760. Powder is new to me, but I have read that Magnum Primers are needed for ball powders, and conversely that magnum primers are not needed! I have both, but would prefer to start off on the right path. Anyone care to share their experience? Thanks

What did they use in the data you're using? Seems like a reasonable place to start.
Posted By: JeffP40 Re: Magnum Primers for 760?? - 09/24/16
I have had hang-fires with 760 in 243 loads. I never tried a mag primer in that load tho. Never had a problem with 414 in 22-250
Never had any reason to use magnum primers in my loads, up to and including 30-06 loads.

They were accurate enough for me, but would have tried some if my standard loads did not perform.

A lot of those loads were produced before I had a drivers license and primers are about 35 miles away.
I shoot a 7x57 and have had good results (fast and accurate) with Winchester 760 and CCI magnum primers, especially with 145 and 150 grain bullets in cold or moderate temperatures.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Magnum Primers for 760?? - 09/24/16
CCI-250's do very nice things in my 338 WM with 760 under 250 gr Swift A Frames, just a thought if you run into accuracy issues, HOT primer burns it pretty clean too.
Posted By: baltz526 Re: Magnum Primers for 760?? - 09/24/16
You may find a W760/H414 load is more accurate with a magnum primer. Old Hodgdon data recommended the Magnum primer. Years ago I tried standard rifle primers in a known accurate load using H414. Everything the same except the primer switch. The magnum primers where much more accurate in that load. One knock on the H414/W760 is I get accuracy loss from Carbon fouling sooner than other powders. Run a couple dry patches every 10 rounds seams to cure it.
Going to start with WLR primers cause I have a bunch on hand. Will save my magnum primers if I run into accuracy problems. Thanks for the replies.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Magnum Primers for 760?? - 09/26/16
Don't get hung up on mag or not, use what you have, then end up with what works best.

I tend to try to lean towards mags period if possible, in our 223 loads for years they were some of the best out there...

But WLR won't be a bad start.

I tend to get to where I am liking what I see, and then swap and test all the primers out there with that load, primers, for me, have doubled group size as well as cut it in half.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Magnum Primers for 760?? - 09/26/16
Originally Posted by rost495
primers, for me, have doubled group size as well as cut it in half.

Are you referring to large rifle primers, like the OP is?
Posted By: Chainsaw Re: Magnum Primers for 760?? - 09/28/16
Originally Posted by Westernmassman
Going to start with WLR primers cause I have a bunch on hand. Will save my magnum primers if I run into accuracy problems. Thanks for the replies.

I was told by the LGS owner that his Winchester contact told him that WLR primers were "magnum" primers and were designed to ignite larger quantities of ball type powders.

Also for the most part I use Winchester primers in Winchester brass and Remington primers in Remington brass. This has always worked well for me and I have had no problems.
Posted By: Snyper Re: Magnum Primers for 760?? - 10/01/16
Try them both and use whatever gives the best results in your gun.

Magnums aren't "needed" in anything, but may work better in a particular gun/load combination
Ran 760 in a 7-08 I used a lot here in AK. It was extremely accurate. Took it South and had some pressure signs at high temperatures... very flat primers and a couple near head separations before I looked at the brass...
Originally Posted by Chainsaw

I was told by the LGS owner that his Winchester contact told him that WLR primers were "magnum" primers and were designed to ignite larger quantities of ball type powders.

Perhaps someone is confusing large rifle primers with large pistol primers? Winchester makes large primers as well as magnum large rifle primers. On the other hand, they only make a single version of the large pistol primers which are very suitable (and recommended) for 'magnum' powders like W296.
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Magnum Primers for 760?? - 10/02/16
Before I got my RCBS Chargemaster, I used ball powders almost exclusively and W760 was favorite. I do most of my load work up in the summer and it can easily be anywhere from 100 to 115 degrees during the latter part of the day. I always used Winchester's WLR primer with excellent results. Two years ago, I worked up a load for my custom 30-06 with a 1 in 12" twist barrel. It doesn't like 180 gr. bullets at all, at least nothing in a spitzer shape. I did a quick work up with he 165 gr. Accubond, W760 and WLR primer for a load doing 2850 FPS and sum MOA accuracy and went elk hunting. It was abput 95 the day I worked uo the load, 33 degrees at Raton New Mexico when I check the sights (no change BTW) and 6 above zero when I shot my elk. Gun went bang, elk died. Note that when checking the sights at Whittington center there was no change in point of impact.
Paul B.
Posted By: Joe Re: Magnum Primers for 760?? - 10/03/16
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by Chainsaw

Perhaps someone is confusing large rifle primers with large pistol primers? Winchester makes large primers as well as magnum large rifle primers. On the other hand, they only make a single version of the large pistol primers which are very suitable (and recommended) for 'magnum' powders like W296.

The older nickle plated that came in a white box was labled "For Standard or Magnum Loads". The newer brass primers in blue boxes doesn't have this label.
© 24hourcampfire