Home
Posted By: cazman 7mm WSM dead? - 09/21/16
Thinking of getting a 7 mm WSM and I do not reload. Like the caliber in a BLR, but impossible to find. Is this caliber dying?
Posted By: bellydeep Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 09/21/16
Yes. Buy something else if you don't handload.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 09/21/16
I hope not, I just bought one, a Winchester Extreme Weather. Try GunBroker, Midway has ammo. Good luck!
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 09/21/16
I just bought a couple of cases of 7mm WSM ammo on AmmoSeek.com . Always had good luck finding anything that was available there. I would go ahead and stock up if I was you on 7mm WSM. That way you will always have cases if you should ever have to reload. Not a bad hobby after you get into it, rather enjoyable.
Posted By: cazman Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 09/22/16
Does not sound good.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 09/22/16
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Yes. Buy something else if you don't handload.

This^^^
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 09/22/16
There will probably be factory ammo produced for a long time yet. But it will be expensive and difficult to find locally.

If you don't mind ordering over the internet, then just stock up on whatever variety you prefer.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 09/22/16
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
There will probably be factory ammo produced for a long time yet. But it will be expensive and difficult to find locally.

If you don't mind ordering over the internet, then just stock up on whatever variety you prefer.

+1
Posted By: dtspoke Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 09/23/16
Plenty of ammo to find in 7WSM, just keep an eye out and buy when available.

The internet is full of ammo more obscure than 7WSM.

I roll my own typically, but I also buy a box a month just to keep plenty in stock.

Also, price is a red herring. If price is a primary consideration, short mags aren't the best choice clearly.

Posted By: Bugger Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 09/23/16
Besides buying lots of ammo, keep all your fired brass. It won't be hard to find someone to load for you.
Posted By: dtspoke Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 09/23/16
Originally Posted by Bugger
Besides buying lots of ammo, keep all your fired brass. It won't be hard to find someone to load for you.

True
Posted By: cazman Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 09/23/16
Yea. It might be worth it. I really like the caliber. The BLR is light, so I do not want to go to .300 WSM.
Posted By: sbhooper Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 09/23/16
Since you do not reload, I would not even consider it. The ballistics are virtually identical to the 7 Rem Mag. The Rem 7 mag is readily available to non-reloaders. The brass is far more available for reloaders, also.

Unless you are bent on getting one, I would forgo it and look elsewhere. The short action is a plus, but weigh all of the factors before buying.

Just my take on it.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 09/23/16
I was just in Whittakers and saw a ton of Winchester 7WSM ammo on the shelf. Looks like they're pumping it out again.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 09/23/16
Originally Posted by sbhooper
Since you do not reload, I would not even consider it. The ballistics are virtually identical to the 7 Rem Mag. The Rem 7 mag is readily available to non-reloaders. The brass is far more available for reloaders, also.

Unless you are bent on getting one, I would forgo it and look elsewhere. The short action is a plus, but weigh all of the factors before buying.

Just my take on it.

Also, consider resale value if you ever want to trade or sell it.

DF
Posted By: cazman Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 09/23/16
The BLR in long actions handle differently enough for me not to go there, so it's the short I'm after.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 09/23/16
Originally Posted by sbhooper
The ballistics are virtually identical to the 7 Rem Mag.

Not in factory ammo guise. The 7WSM is typically loaded to potential or even potential +P in most factory stuff, as where the 7RM factory ammo is usually pretty anemic.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 09/23/16
True. The 7mm WSM seems to be loaded hotter in factory ammo. In some cases, a LOT hotter.

I bumped into some Federal Premium 7mm WSM a few years back that measured app. 3260 +- with 160 gr bullets(!). And from two different rifles.

Federal told me they load the 7mm WSM to 65,000 psi; the 7 RM to about 60,000.

That kind of difference in cases having similar capacity will show up every time.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 09/24/16
If there's some future supply interruption, couldn't 7mm WSM brass be made from .300 WSM cases?
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 09/24/16

Originally Posted by IndyCA35
couldn't 7mm WSM brass be made from .300 WSM cases?

I use 300WSM to make my 7WSM by annealing and then creating a false shoulder.
Posted By: hanco Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 09/24/16
They have 2 out of 4 that are very successful. That's not bad.
Posted By: slm9s Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 09/25/16
Its still my favorite of the WSMs. I'm on my 3rd. If you plan to only shoot 30-40 rounds per year using it for hunting, find a factory ammo selection the rifle likes and buy a bunch of it. If you plan to shoot 300-400 rounds per year, learn to reload! Have fun.
Posted By: acooper1983 Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 09/26/16
Federal Fusions are a bad ass round in the 7wsm my rifle will shoot them 1/2 moa in a 6.5lb gun.
Posted By: cazman Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 09/26/16
How is the recoil for a 6 1/2 lb gun?
Posted By: greentimber Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 10/10/16
I just sent a buddy with a 7WSM the link to ammoseek.com. Tons of ammo listed there.
Posted By: EWY Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 10/10/16
I shoot a 270WSM and I like the cartridge a lot.
If you are planing to shoot your WSM much you might want to take up reloading. It doesn't have to be complicated and it is rewarding.
Just my 2 cents.

Ernie
Posted By: acooper1983 Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 10/10/16
Originally Posted by cazman
How is the recoil for a 6 1/2 lb gun?

not bad with the brake
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 10/10/16
Originally Posted by cazman
The BLR in long actions handle differently enough for me not to go there, so it's the short I'm after.

Very true, and I've owned a WSM BLR. I'd recommend the pistol grip version for handling recoil.

I have (2) 7 WSM's and I love the cartridge. Brass availability is nil, though there's rumors of WW doing a run. Sounds like there's loaded ammo out there.

By the way there's a guy who will fix the bad trigger on that BLR. Not easy to find anyone to work on them. Neil Jones Custom Products.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 10/12/16
This thread prompted me to check a couple things. There is a lot of loaded ammo out there... interesting. Would be a CHEAPER way to buy brass, than buying bags of NOS from gunbroker. It's up to at least $125/bag of 50 there.

I also called Olin this morning to ask bluntly if they are going to make more brass. I'll report back what I hear.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 10/12/16
Per Ronny at Olin, they will make it again.... someday. When pressed I got a "maybe next year".
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 10/13/16
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Per Ronny at Olin, they will make it again.... someday. When pressed I got a "maybe next year".

That would do it for me. smile

Next!
Posted By: hanco Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 10/13/16
My 270 WSM doesn't have much recoil. My son in law has a 300 WSM. Not much to it either.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 10/13/16
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Next!

Plenty of .300 WSM brass around.

Last I checked they weren't making 7 MSM brass, either, but that doesn't stop those with a smidge of ambition wink
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 10/13/16
I've read, not experienced, that the BLRs can be troublesome about chambering reloads, even when loaded with small-base dies. What that might mean for one in 7WSM is anybody's guess, but something to look into perhaps.
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Next!

Plenty of .300 WSM brass around.

Last I checked they weren't making 7 MSM brass, either, but that doesn't stop those with a smidge of ambition wink

Jordan: "They" aint making any.....but I am.. grin
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 10/13/16
Bob,

Exactly. It's pretty easy to make 7 WSM brass these days, too smile
Posted By: Taco2fiddy7 Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 10/13/16
If people quit buying the rifles and ammo, then yes it is dead.

If enough people keep buying the rifles and ammo, they'll make more and no, it is not dead.
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Bob,

Exactly. It's pretty easy to make 7 WSM brass these days, too smile

Jordan so I hear!
Posted By: Jess Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 10/13/16
Originally Posted by Taco280AI
If people quit buying the rifles and ammo, then yes it is dead.

If enough people keep buying the rifles and ammo, they'll make more and no, it is not dead.

+1
Posted By: DELGUE Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 10/13/16

Next!

If he doesn't reload, and brass and/or ammo availability in 7 WSM is or is going to become an issue, I'd just get a 7 RM and drive on if I was dead set on a 7 mag. I've in the past pondered a 270 WSM, but I keep reading stuff like this about Winchester will 'eventually' make some, and it makes me squampshus. I reload, so I could get by if I bought a bunch of components and stockpiled and reloaded as necessary, but for a man what doesn't reload, I'd either get a long established caliber or take us reloading as was suggested. This would certainly give you a good excuse to start reloading.

The ammo issue notwithstanding, I've heard good things about the 270, 7mm, and 300 WSM cartridges.

But these guys are right, too...if they are still making 25-20 and 38-40 ammunition, they will still be making 270, 7mm, and 300 WSM ammo for a long time to come.
Posted By: 4ager Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 10/13/16
Originally Posted by DELGUE

Next!

If he doesn't reload, and brass and/or ammo availability in 7 WSM is or is going to become an issue, I'd just get a 7 RM and drive on if I was dead set on a 7 mag. I've in the past pondered a 270 WSM, but I keep reading stuff like this about Winchester will 'eventually' make some, and it makes me squampshus. I reload, so I could get by if I bought a bunch of components and stockpiled and reloaded as necessary, but for a man what doesn't reload, I'd either get a long established caliber or take us reloading as was suggested. This would certainly give you a good excuse to start reloading.

The ammo issue notwithstanding, I've heard good things about the 270, 7mm, and 300 WSM cartridges.

But these guys are right, too...if they are still making 25-20 and 38-40 ammunition, they will still be making 270, 7mm, and 300 WSM ammo for a long time to come.

Why you gotta go malign the .25-20? wink

Seriously, with as many wildcat cartridges out there, and if a man is a handloader, this really ain't any big deal at all.
Posted By: DELGUE Re: 7mm WSM dead? - 10/13/16
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by DELGUE

Next!

Why you gotta go malign the .25-20? wink

Seriously, with as many wildcat cartridges out there, and if a man is a handloader, this really ain't any big deal at all.

Mebbeso you misinterpreted my sentiment? Which might be to say, if the 25-20 is still popular and capable enough after all these years to have such a loyal following that ammunition is produced for it, ammunition for new upstarts like the WSM's will most likely be around long enough for practical purposes.

There. Have your tender feelings been adequately assuaged? grin
© 24hourcampfire