Home
Posted By: efw Difference between TTSX & TAC-TX? - 10/13/16
I have a .300 Weatherby that really likes the 168 gr TTSX but I see that Barnes offers a TAC-TX that looks identical. Is there more here than meets the eye?

I went to the Barnes web site and didn't really see a definitive answer. Couldn't tell if they're the same bullet labeled differently for different markets or if maybe the TAC-TX has a lower min velocity threshold like the LRX?

Thanks for any insights anyone may have,

Efw
Packaging. I've used them interchangeably.
Keep in mind, most all of their bullets have different operating velocities. The .243 pills only open down to 2000 fps and the .358 all 3 have a different bottom end velocity ranging from 1800 - 2000 fps.

The 168 TTSX that you reference actually opens down to 1500 fps.

All the above numbers are quoted directly from Barnes reps that I've emailed. I now email them about any new caliber I'm looking to load for.

Chris
Originally Posted by tarheelpwr
Keep in mind, most all of their bullets have different operating velocities. The .243 pills only open down to 2000 fps and the .358 all 3 have a different bottom end velocity ranging from 1800 - 2000 fps.

All the above numbers are quoted directly from Barnes reps that I've emailed. I now email them about any new caliber I'm looking to load for.

Chris

I sure wish they would just publish that information on their website; it would make selection a whole lot easier than calling about every one of them.
TAC-TX - maybe to get the 'Tacti-Kewl' guys to bite?

Chris

Thanks Chris you're absolutely right and that's why I asked. Sounds like the TAC-X is for tacticool types and maybe military & police contracts.

Thanks for the tip on 1500 fps that's great to know!
a few years ago at
SCI in Vegas, I asked one of the
guys at the Barnes booth if there
was any difference in the Barnes TSX
and the Tac and he said they were the
same bullet just marketed differently.

at that time I did not ask about the ttsx so
there might be some difference there.

Chris

Good to know. Thank you.
According to the appendix in Brian Litz's volume II, they are very slightly different (number of bands, SD, BC, etc). Very close, but different.
I think they're designed to be loaded with TAC powder.

Duh.

P
We used the original Barnes X for years and where perfectly happy with accuracy and performance on game. My wife has killed 4 brown bears with TSX 140gr 284, they worked great too,, BUT could I see a difference??? I,ve used them in my 425 Express, 300 Ackley, and 358 Norma but other bullets as well. They are just a good bullet like so many others are nowadays!
© 24hourcampfire