Home
Posted By: Bogtrotter WSM Brass - 12/05/16
Anyone know what's up with Winchester and .300 WSM brass? I can't find any. Is this a long term thing? I located some Norma brass,and might break down and pay the price, but damn it's expensive.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: WSM Brass - 12/05/16
It has been a pretty long term situation. I've heard second-hand that Winchester is going to offer WSM brass "soon." I've been hearing it for a while, haven't seen it, neither have the people who have been saying it.

I used to be a winchester brass snob ... winchester or nothing. The last batch of 7mm-08 I bought was awful and the '06 a friend bought (both around end of summer, so most recent production) was worse. My primer pockets are wildly inconsistent. Some of his cases won't even hold a primer in unfired brass. I may have to switch to Lapua or Norma if I'm going to keep the rifle I bought.

Given that, first thing I'd do is think twice about buying any WSM-chambered rifle and definitely NOT do it unless I was willing to pay for either Norma or Nosler brass.

Probably not what you wanted to hear.

Tom
Posted By: hanco Re: WSM Brass - 12/05/16
Norma will last twice as long, so it's not a bad deal.
Posted By: Bogtrotter Re: WSM Brass - 12/05/16
TOM to late on the rifle. I found a good deal locally on some factory ammo. Picked up a couple of boxes. I'll probably break down and buy Norma brass, bite the bullet and buy a bunch. I guess over the years I've spent a lot money on stuff I use alot less.
Posted By: wildcat33 Re: WSM Brass - 12/05/16
Having just sold all my 300WSM brass I can tell you its in high demand. I should have charged more for it!
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: WSM Brass - 12/05/16
Originally Posted by hanco
Norma will last twice as long, so it's not a bad deal.

Agreed.

Every piece of Winchester brass I ever used would either split the neck on first firing or never make it to the third loading without doing so.

I use Norma, Lapua or Remington...in that order.
Posted By: Bogtrotter Re: WSM Brass - 12/05/16
I haven't bought any new winchester brass in years. Never had any problem with the old stuff. Guess I'm going with the Norma.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: WSM Brass - 12/05/16
I didn't have any issue with WW brass prior to about the start of 2016. None that I've picked up since stuff started trickling out post-shortage has been up to the previous quality.

I've got some .45-70 and .223 made since that I have not had a chance to mess with so ... it's only a comment based on what I've used so far, I wouldn't want to make a blanket statement about all of it. Guess I'd just say "manage expectations 'til you try it."
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: WSM Brass - 12/05/16
I know where there are lots of WSM brass.
Posted By: Tejano Re: WSM Brass - 12/05/16
Not sure which search device found it I think "Ammo Seek" but it listed a wholesaler in Houston that had lots of hard to find brass like .257 Roberts, 6 Rem. etc. Good prices too.

Once you find it stock up and get the same lot #s if you can.
Because of the periodic shortages each new rifle gets 200-400 cases so I will most likely shoot out the barrel before needing new brass. This greatly simplifies reloading as no work up needed for different cases.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: WSM Brass - 12/05/16

If you can live with 1x fired stuff, look here:

http://www.oncefiredbrass.com/

Just scored 100 ct. WW headstamped 300 WSM brass. They have Fed also.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: WSM Brass - 12/06/16
Whittakers had 7mm WSM brass just the other day.
© 24hourcampfire