Home
Posted By: gonesouth 20 HMR? - 12/15/16
Do you writers ever think someone will come out with a 20 HMR? If not, why? I'd love one with a good Sierra 25-30 grain bullet. 20 calibers have a pretty strong following. Thanks for your thoughts,
Jim D
Posted By: Kaleb Re: 20 HMR? - 12/15/16
Is it not 22mag? I was thinking the hmr was the mag case necked down?

I didn't read right
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 20 HMR? - 12/15/16
gonesouth,

Sounds a lot like the 5mm Remington, which as all true rifle loonies know became wildly popular the instant it was introduced.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: 20 HMR? - 12/15/16
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
gonesouth,

Sounds a lot like the 5mm Remington, which as all true rifle loonies know became wildly popular the instant it was introduced.

Hated to let mine go, but the guy offered so much for the two boxes of ammo that went with it.....
Posted By: WiFowler Re: 20 HMR? - 12/15/16
20 calibers have a pretty strong following.

Not sure that I'm in agreement with that statement. 204 Rugers don't seem to be flying off the shelf in this area. Beyond the 204 Ruger, what commercially available .20cal is available? Certainly there are a few wildcats, but the average Joe's aren't beating down the doors of the 'smiths I know to chamber a .20cal wildcat.

JMHO.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 20 HMR? - 12/15/16
In instances like this, what's actually meant is the rifle loonies somebody hangs out with really like .20's (or 6.5-06's, or whatever).

I did a little rough figuring and a 25-grain .20-caliber bullet, loaded to approximately the same pressures as the .17 HMR, would get around 2350 fps, and a 30-grain around 2200. That's on the optimistic side, based on a velocity of around 2800 with a 17-grain in the .17 HMR, which is about what A17 ammo gets in most bolt-actions.

Posted By: deflave Re: 20 HMR? - 12/15/16
Originally Posted by gonesouth
Do you writers ever think someone will come out with a 20 HMR? If not, why? I'd love one with a good Sierra 25-30 grain bullet. 20 calibers have a pretty strong following. Thanks for your thoughts,
Jim D

Jesus Fugk.

In-Christ.

Go build a 22-Creedmoore and leave everybody else alone.

Dave
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: 20 HMR? - 12/15/16
.20 win supermagnum might be something. (based of the .17 super magnum) might be an impressive combo based on some of the trajectory reports I've seen. might have to be my next rifle in the plain version that is.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 20 HMR? - 12/15/16
Hornady knocked one out of the park with the .17 HMR.

With the .22 WMR, I'm not sure how solid a market there would be for a .20 HMR. It costs a bundle to roll out a new round.

Dave Emary and Steve Hornady are pretty savvy. If they thought there was a market niche, you'd see it.

IMO,

DF
Posted By: Huntz Re: 20 HMR? - 12/15/16
Maybe a 20WMR.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: 20 HMR? - 12/15/16
The little micro calibers might be cute to mess with .

Who was the man that passed away a few years ago - he built 10 - 12 - 14 caliber cartridges and rifles . Would make a nice sparrow/starling/squirrel gun .

20 caliber rimfires -doubtful ..
Posted By: OlongJohnson Re: 20 HMR? - 12/15/16
20 WSM would be more interesting to me than 17 WSM.
Posted By: haverluk Re: 20 HMR? - 12/15/16
I have thought of necking up the newer 17 Hornady Hornet to .20 caliber. I call it the 20HHH.

That has been done to the original Hornet case but I think the modernized Hornady case would be a little easier to work with.

A fast twist barrel and one would be in business.

With that in mind, I don't think that there is much room for growth in the rimfire market but their is a little room in the .20 caliber centerfire market.
Posted By: Kaiser Norton Re: 20 HMR? - 12/15/16
Jim D

I just want some f*cking CHEAP 22lr. Is that too much to ask?

Kaiser Norton
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 20 HMR? - 12/16/16
Seems as .22LR ammo returns to dealer shelves, the prices don't seem to be returning to pre-shortage days.

Penny rounds are a thing of the past.

You can't even find nickle rounds.

May as well get used to it; depends on how bad you want to shoot.

DF
Posted By: Huntz Re: 20 HMR? - 12/16/16
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Seems as .22LR ammo returns to dealer shelves, the prices don't seem to be returning to pre-shortage days.

Penny rounds are a thing of the past.

You can't even find nickle rounds.

May as well get used to it; depends on how bad you want to shoot.

DF

I found some at 6cents a pop.I think the market is saturated now.Every store I go to now has plenty in stock.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 20 HMR? - 12/16/16
You think we'll ever see nickle (or less) .22's again...??

DF
Posted By: WiFowler Re: 20 HMR? - 12/16/16
Originally Posted by Kaiser Norton
Jim D

I just want some f*cking CHEAP 22lr. Is that too much to ask?

Kaiser Norton

I want cheap gasoline, but am not holding my breathe in anticipation.

Ammo manufacturer's got their 'foot in the door' with the 'shortage', prices went up 'cuz people would pay it. Now the 'shortage' has subsided, and prices remain relatively the same. Kinda like a tax - once it's in place it never goes away . . . .
Posted By: Craigster Re: 20 HMR? - 12/16/16
You think we'll ever see nickle (or less) .22's again...??

DF

The ammo companies are not in the ammo making business, they are in the money making business.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: 20 HMR? - 12/16/16
I'll take some 10 cent Stingers please.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 20 HMR? - 12/16/16
If we're talking rimfire cartridges, I think that someone should take another look at the 267 Remington.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 20 HMR? - 12/17/16
Jim D

I just want some f*cking CHEAP 22lr. Is that too much to ask?u

Kaiser Norton

You probably don't want to hear this, but when I was a kid, a box of HPs was about a buck, or roughly 1% of a working stiff's weekly wage. That ratio held up pretty well through my early working years. Now, a box of MiniMags is about $9 for 100 rounds, or $4.50 for 50, for reliable, consistent, accurate ammo. I've been retired for a while and have no idea what a working man makes on average, but I'll bet it's more than $450 a week.

We could do this with gasoline too, going back to when I was making about $120 a week and Sunoco 260 was $.35 a gallon, but math makes my head hurt.

Get an airgun. Decent .22 pellets are about a penny-and-a-half per, and cocking or pumping is good exercise. laugh
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 20 HMR? - 12/17/16
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Jim D

I just want some f*cking CHEAP 22lr. Is that too much to ask?u

Kaiser Norton

You probably don't want to hear this, but when I was a kid, a box of HPs was about a buck, or roughly 1% of a working stiff's weekly wage. That ratio held up pretty well through my early working years. Now, a box of MiniMags is about $9 for 100 rounds, or $4.50 for 50, for reliable, consistent, accurate ammo. I've been retired for a while and have no idea what a working man makes on average, but I'll bet it's more than $450 a week.

We could do this with gasoline too, going back to when I was making about $120 a week and Sunoco 260 was $.35 a gallon, but math makes my head hurt.

Get an airgun. Decent .22 pellets are about a penny-and-a-half per, and cocking or pumping is good exercise. laugh

Nostalgia time!

I received my first rifle as an under the tree Christmas gift. It was a Remington Nylon 66, I still have it, and it came with a Weaver scope and a red and white carton of 500 Remington Hi-Speed .22 LR 40 grain Kleanbore cartridges. Needless to say, I was as happy as could be and despite the deep snow, I went out to the barn after all of the unwrapping was done, set up a 50' range, and shot about 1/2 of the ammo. I probably would have shot all 500 rounds on Christmas Day, but Christmas fell on a Saturday that year and few stores were open on Sundays, so I couldn't cross the bridge to get to the Aubechon Hardware store in Windsor, VT, until Monday 12/27 at the earliest. At that time, in the mid-1960's, that hi-speed Remington .22 LR ammo was around $0.99 per box of 50 or discounted to $8.99 for a carton of 500. Remington's green and white box standard velocity was about $0.10 per box cheaper, but everybody I knew at that time shot the faster ammo in the field and the slower stuff at the range or in semi-automatic handguns.

Looking back 50 years to 1966, one dollar in 1966 had the buying power of around $7.40 today, so if you pay anything less than $7.40 for a box of .22 LR ammo today, it is actually less expensive than a comparable grade of ammo was 50 years ago.

And, there is a lot more variety today. Back then, I never saw Aguila, Eley, Norma, RWS, or SK brands of rimfire ammo on the shelves. Where I lived in northern New England, it was mostly Remington and Winchester with some Federal and CIL/Dominion and Norma if those cartridges weren't loaded by Rem/Win. The CIL/Dominion ammo that I remember was in 22HP, 6.5x54MS, 32-40, 38-55, and 43 Mauser. The Norma ammo that I remember was all metric for foreign military cartridges or rimmed 7x57 and 8x57 that were mostly intended for use in the rifles that American GIs had "liberated" during/after WW2. Most of my friends' Fathers had served in either WW2 or Korea and almost to a man they had brought home souvenir weapons from their military years, Mausers, Lugers, P-38s, and a variety of combination and drillings from Europe and Arisakas, Nambus, and Samurai Swords from the Pacific.
The real nostalgia is that as a kid, I could actually go in a store and buy that $1 ammo. Today, that's probably not only illegal, but such a sale would be the featured story on CNN for a week, or at least until the next horror emerged to take its place.

Hell, a kid probably can't even buy Jujubees to shoot out of his PopTart pistol.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 20 HMR? - 12/17/16
Yep, considering inflation, the price of standard .22 Long Rifles (not target stuff) is about the same as it was when I started buying it 50 years ago. Bricks of "good" .22 hollow-points (Remington and Winchester) ran around $6, the equivalent of around $45 in 2016 dollars.

But between 1966 and the big rimfire panic of 2008 was a period where the price of Long Rifles didn't rise with inflation--when many of us grew used to buying bricks for at most $20, and sometimes half that when on sale. Probably increased manufacturing efficiency had something to do with it, but I have heard through the industry that some companies essentially sold Long Rifles as a loss-leader, in order to promote their other ammo.
Posted By: Ward Re: 20 HMR? - 12/17/16
It already happened and flopped. Remember the 5mm Rem????
I still have a brick of the original Blazers that cost me $9, I think. Probably shoot it up in my new Victory this spring.

I don't buy crappy bulk anymore, but have a few "standards" I keep an eye out for online: MiniMags, SVs, and Aguila Match, along with my standard hunting load-RWS SSHPs. The SVs and AMs shoot to the same POI as the RWS. I also keep some Stingers and Velociters around for use in my S&W 63 "carry" gun.

I also like the Quiet .22s, but the price about doubled since the initial release, so when my stash of those is gone, I'll move on.

I'm just happy that the worst of the supply problems are over.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 20 HMR? - 12/17/16
Originally Posted by Pappy348
The real nostalgia is that as a kid, I could actually go in a store and buy that $1 ammo. Today, that's probably not only illegal, but such a sale would be the featured story on CNN for a week, or at least until the next horror emerged to take its place.

Hell, a kid probably can't even buy Jujubees to shoot out of his PopTart pistol.

Even better! My Father had credit accounts with the Aubechon Hardware in Windsor, VT, at Briggs' in White River Junction, VT, and at both Hildreth's Hardware and Welch's Gun Shop in Lebanon, NH, so that I could go in and buy any sort of ammo "on account" in any of those stores just by signing my name. Times are always changing and not always in a positive manner.

I dislike living in the suburbs, but we do so because of the excellent public school district, Millard Public Schools. When my Son graduates from high school, I think that if we decide to stay in NE, we'll build a house on a piece of ground that we have overlooking the Elkhorn River near Elk City, NE. Lots of wild life, few neighbors, and excellent sun sets.
Posted By: nick Re: 20 HMR? - 12/17/16
Originally Posted by ol_mike
The little micro calibers might be cute to mess with .

Who was the man that passed away a few years ago - he built 10 - 12 - 14 caliber cartridges and rifles . Would make a nice sparrow/starling/squirrel gun .

20 caliber rimfires -doubtful ..

Not sure if he passed away or not, but maybe your thinking of Alton Jones (I think that was his name) I had a few of his headstamped rounds in.14 which were I believe a 22LR necked to .14 with a CAST bullet.
Pretty cool, always wondered how many of those I could cast with a few pounds of lead..hehe
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: 20 HMR? - 12/17/16
The 20WSM would be a good one.
Posted By: fredIII Re: 20 HMR? - 12/17/16
Plain and simple the 5mm is already among us and the best rimfire round ever conceived by far. If you don't believe me ask the local coons wait they are dead LMFAO
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: 20 HMR? - 12/18/16
I'm holding out for a reintroduction of the .44 Henry.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 20 HMR? - 12/18/16
Originally Posted by haverluk
I have thought of necking up the newer 17 Hornady Hornet to .20 caliber. I call it the 20HHH.

That has been done to the original Hornet case but I think the modernized Hornady case would be a little easier to work with.

A fast twist barrel and one would be in business.

With that in mind, I don't think that there is much room for growth in the rimfire market but their is a little room in the .20 caliber centerfire market.

Check out the Calhoon website for the work he's done with the Hornet case.

DF
Posted By: Bugger Re: 20 HMR? - 12/18/16
If it were not for the unexplained high pressures on some rounds. The 5mm Remington would have still been here big time today.

I'm not sure if the cause was found for those high pressure excursions.
Posted By: Nessmuk Re: 20 HMR? - 12/18/16
I'd lean toward a 25 Cal first.
On the 17wsm it would fill a niche. A subsonic 17 with solid bullets for fur trappers too.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 20 HMR? - 12/18/16
Ammo/rifle manufacturers would go broke chasing Loony fantasies.... cry

DF

Posted By: jwp475 Re: 20 HMR? - 12/18/16
Originally Posted by Ward

I sure liked the 5mm Remington.
Posted By: fredIII Re: 20 HMR? - 12/19/16
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Ward

I sure liked the 5mm Remington.

I still like mine with a new source for ammo she's back in the front of the safe.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: 20 HMR? - 12/19/16
Who's the new source? Old man has one and last I tried only old West scrounger had it and it suuuuuucked.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: 20 HMR? - 12/19/16
I still think that the 5RM was the best hunting rimfire so far conceived.
Posted By: moosemike Re: 20 HMR? - 12/19/16
Originally Posted by OlongJohnson
20 WSM would be more interesting to me than 17 WSM.

^This.
Posted By: moosemike Re: 20 HMR? - 12/19/16
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Who's the new source? Old man has one and last I tried only old West scrounger had it and it suuuuuucked.

Centurion made it until a couple years ago. I had been on the lookout for a 5mm but gave up since there is no source of ammo again.
Posted By: fredIII Re: 20 HMR? - 12/20/16
Originally Posted by moosemike

Centurion made it until a couple years ago. I had been on the lookout for a 5mm but gave up since there is no source of ammo again.

I snagged a bunch at a gun show about 2 months ago. I was also referring to the centurion ammo.

Posted By: jackmountain Re: 20 HMR? - 12/20/16
Surprised somebody like aguila hasn't produced it.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 20 HMR? - 12/21/16
Wonder how many 5mm guns are out there, how big that market may be.

Those numbers determine the market.

DF
Posted By: Blackheart Re: 20 HMR? - 12/21/16
Surprised somebody like aguila hasn't produced it.
The Centurion ammunition was made by Aguila. Rumor has it they are going to be making 5mm ammo again in 2017 but a different loading than the previous stuff.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: 20 HMR? - 12/21/16
Wonder how many 5mm guns are out there, how big that market may be.

Those numbers determine the market.

DF
If memory serves there were only 39,000 of the models 591 and 592 produced by Remington.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 20 HMR? - 12/22/16
Niche market, small niche at that.

Not that impressive to an ammo maker.

If some firm does produce a run, better stock up.

DF
Posted By: BMT Re: 20 HMR? - 12/22/16
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I'm holding out for a reintroduction of the .44 Henry.

+1
Posted By: BMT Re: 20 HMR? - 12/22/16
The 56/56 spencer rim fire was awesome!
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: 20 HMR? - 12/23/16
+1
© 24hourcampfire