Home
I always wanted a second issue Woodsman Sport model like my ol' grandpappy had when I was a kid. Unfortunately, that pistol ended up in the possession of an uncle who is not a gun guy and not a supporter of the 2A. Worse, the gun had been refinished by Colt in the mid-80s and was in very nice shape when it got passed along. I saw the pistol again six or seven years ago. Neglect had really taken its toll on it.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago...I found one for sale at a decent price, and since I am not a collector (unless I am a "shooter collector") it looks well used which is perfect for my purposes because it's going to get carried around some and shot a bit.

The one thing that bugs me about this pistol...it SMELLS BAD. Well, it smells bad to me, because it smells like a freekin chem-toilet. The smell is not bad, I guess, unless you recognize it, it's kinda perfumy. Yes, I will dismantle it and clean everything up---and I am pretty sure that odor will go away, but I was wondering if anyone can tell me just what in hell it is that makes this gun smell like that? I really hate opening the safe and being reminded of a stinkin-ass chem-toilet. Is it some kind of lube that's gone rancid, or what??
Clean it with Hoppes, shoot a hundred rounds then clean it again with Hoppes.

That'll fix 'er up!
may well be toilet chemical.
i once ended up with a storage footlocker
full of spare clothing and camping
gear that was soaked in deep woods off.
a full can that was poorly packed went
off (NPI) sometime during an 800 mile trip
of rattling around.
maybe the gun was stashed in an rv toilet compartment?
A few second dip in 50/50 peroxide/water will kill most odors. Disassemble, dip, thoroughly dry, oil.
lube it with skunk essence. you'll not notice the toilet smell anymore......
I always wanted one of those
Originally Posted by huntsman22
lube it with skunk essence. you'll not notice the toilet smell anymore......

I think I'd prefer the skunk aroma, actually. Skunk doesn't smell that bad to me. I'll try douching it in hydrogen peroxide before hunting down a skunk though.
Hydrogen peroxide s a hell of an oxidizer. Not sure I'd be bathing my pistol in it.
Wouldn't be the first time someone dropped his handgun into a porta potty.
Ya think maybe that's why I got it cheap?
LOL
I've bought plenty of guns that reeked of cigarette smoke, and one that had certainly been stored in the sweater drawer with moth balls.
I handled a couple of rifles that had been rolled up in an old mattress for who knows how long, and they smelled like urine.
I have also had guns come in that you could tell the owner owned cats.....
Originally Posted by hanco
I always wanted one of those

Me too. I've gotten by with a Buck Mark for a number of years but still want a Woodsman.
Well...problwm solved. I tore that sucker down to every last piece and cleaned it up with stoddard solvent and gave it a proper lube. The thing had a bit of ancient grime in it anyway so I suppose the stink served as inspiration of sorts. Interesting design, and i think I can see why it would be too expensive to produce and market these days.
Did someone try to smuggle it into a Prison?
Cold blue will smell for years. Sort of a sweet smell.

Originally Posted by KEVIN_JAY
Did someone try to smuggle it into a Prison?

Well, yeah...you don't think they'd let em just walk right in and hand it to me, do you??

smile
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Hydrogen peroxide s a hell of an oxidizer. Not sure I'd be bathing my pistol in it.

+1

I'd come up with a different plan...

DF
I did.
© 24hourcampfire