Home
Posted By: huntin_chic .450 Marlin Bolt Action - 01/18/17
I've kind of always wanted a short action big bore rifle; something like a hot-loaded 45-70, or a bit more. The .450 Marlin seems the most practical option.

Now, I know there have been some custom bolt rifles built in .450 Marlin but I'm wondering if any members here have one..? I know that E.R. Shaw will barrel their Mark VII rifle (tweaked Savage) in .450, and maybe this is the best option without spending a small fortune.

Second question: does anyone here own an E.R. Shaw Mark VII rifle? If so... What are your thoughts about it? Value? Accurate?
Posted By: mike7mm08 Re: .450 Marlin Bolt Action - 01/18/17
Not quite the power your looking for. But Ruger is chambering their american ranch rifle in 450 bushmaster. 16 inch barrel about 5 1/2 pounds. Lot of thump in a small handy very affordable package.
Posted By: Seafire Re: .450 Marlin Bolt Action - 01/18/17
know of a Ruger 77 Mk2 SA converted....

20 inch heavy magnum barrel contour...
Originally Posted by mike7mm08
Not quite the power your looking for. But Ruger is chambering their american ranch rifle in 450 bushmaster. 16 inch barrel about 5 1/2 pounds. Lot of thump in a small handy very affordable package.

Yes... Thanks. I know about the 450 Bushmaster in the Ruger and I wouldn't mind one, but I really want more power than that. But, I still may want one.
Originally Posted by Seafire
know of a Ruger 77 Mk2 SA converted....

20 inch heavy magnum barrel contour...

That sounds like a nice one. How does the owner like it?
Posted By: toad Re: .450 Marlin Bolt Action - 01/19/17
I think a Win M70 WSM action will provide a little more mag length (3"+) and should be fairly easy to source.
Posted By: micky Re: .450 Marlin Bolt Action - 01/19/17
I just had a Browning Abolt that was a 270 WSM rebarrelled to 450 Marlin. The gun is getting a little stock work done right now so I can't answer any questions about it for a couple weeks. I will let you know first hand when I get it back.

From my research prior to starting this project, a WSM mag will feed 450 Marlin rounds.
Posted By: Huntingnut Re: .450 Marlin Bolt Action - 01/19/17
I have a 700 that ER Shaw rebarreled to .450 marlin. Very good shooter.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: .450 Marlin Bolt Action - 01/19/17
I'd go with the 458 American. the 450 Marlin brass might orphan you in the future. No problem finding 7 mag, 300 mag, 338 mag, 375 H&H etc brass to cut down.
Thanks for all the replies. I'll look forward to a follow up from Micky on his Browning.

I've thought about the .458 American but I like the idea of just being able to purchase factory ammo to get started. I know it could go extinct. Maybe I'll change my mind....
© 24hourcampfire