Will it ever get any better? 😀

Trystan
Not for the vast majority of us!
Originally Posted by Trystan

Trystan

Easily...

Just neck it up or down a tad.
Apparently, based upon hundreds of such assertions throughout this forum, the determining factor is whether an animal "can tell the difference". People who assert this criteria "the dozen deer/pigs/elk I shot, couldn't tell the difference" always baffles me. As though that is somehow determinable.
You can't go wrong with a 270 or an 06
It gets better......

When you combine the two you get a 280!
Or shorten them and get 308 and 7-08.
I was reminded again today why the 270 is a great cartridge. I found a tang safety Ruger 77 at a bargain a while back and just put a Leupold 3X9X40 Vari X II on it. I had some new brass, so I dropped 60 gr of 4831 in some of them and topped them off with 130 gr Winchester PSP bullets. 5 shots total to get zeroed at 100 yards and then a nice 3 shot 3/4 inch group.

Typical of my experiences with the 270. YMMV.
I've always liked the 270. I think it's funny that I bought my first one about 35 years ago to have something different from all my 30-30 carrying friends.I was a young rifle loony who had no clue that the 270 was one of the most popular chamberings ever created.
I like the .270 and 06.. Haven't hunted much with the 06 for the last 40 years or so.. They are great for the average guy who buys wallymart ammo.. They are fun for the serious loader, but I have other calibers I like better for most of my hunting and shooting.. My .270 shoot flat when shooting at coyotes, but it can match my 7mm Wea. But for most hunters/shooters they are all that is needed!!
I like the .270 and 06.. Haven't hunted much with the 06 for the last 40 years or so.. They are great for the average guy who buys wallymart ammo.. They are fun for the serious loader, but I have other calibers I like better for most of my hunting and shooting.. My .270 shoots flat when shooting at coyotes, but it CANNOT match my 7mm Wea. But for most hunters/shooters they are all that is needed!!
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I like the .270 and 06.. Haven't hunted much with the 06 for the last 40 years or so.. They are great for the average guy who buys wallymart ammo.. They are fun for the serious loader, but I have other calibers I like better for most of my hunting and shooting.. My .270 shoots flat when shooting at coyotes, but it CANNOT match my 7mm Wea. But for most hunters/shooters they are all that is needed!!

You can say that again! shocked
I'll say it is the most successful American engineered non-military cartridge developed since 1925.
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Apparently, based upon hundreds of such assertions throughout this forum, the determining factor is whether an animal "can tell the difference". People who assert this criteria "the dozen deer/pigs/elk I shot, couldn't tell the difference" always baffles me. As though that is somehow determinable.

They can tell the difference if you're running a premium pill. That's how I roll. DRT.

Trystan

yea..its called a 6.5x55....
I liked my .30-06 so much that I bought another one.
Still two of my favorites, after 4 decades.

I have no use for "magnums". Too much fuss and no gain.
I now have both a 270 and 30-06 in the safe...plan to use the 270 this year. I've sold a number of 30-06 rifles but always come back to them....hard to argue having a rifle that fits my style of hunting perfectly.
Originally Posted by hanco
You can't go wrong with a 270 or an 06

I agree!
They both have remained extremely popular as long as they have for a great number of very good reasons.
If you can't get it done with these two you better check yourself before you wreck yourself.
The 30-06 is certainly the better of the two listed!
Trystan

It did with the advent of the 280 Remington.
I will just stick with a 7x57 for my deer - elk sized game.....
You folks are funny!!!
Supplement your .30/06 or 270 Win with a 9.3x62mm or 458 Win Mag. You'll cover all the world's big game.
I think it was John Wooters that stated there wasn't a nickels worth of difference in a number of medium capacity deer cartridges which I agree with. The 270 and 30-06 are certainly excellent cartridges as is the 7x57. I guess if I was primarily a elk hunter and occasional deer hunter I would lean to the 30-06 while if I was primarily a deer hunter and occasional elk hunter I would probably go for the 270 however as said it is really a toss up but both are excellent cartridges
Mr. Weatherby made both of them obsolescent.
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
Supplement your .30/06 or 270 Win with a 9.3x62mm or 458 Win Mag. You'll cover all the world's big game.

How about a .375 H&H?
Trystan

In reply to your terms: Very good cartridges, but simply credible. "It" will probably get better, but those cartridges probably won't.
I like to amuse myself by necking them up to 35 caliber and watching my in laws try to chamber them.
whelennut
Took my first Whitetail with the 30-06.

Took my first Pronghorn with the 270.

Took my first Black Bear with the 30-06.

Took my biggest Elk with the 270.

And so on...

Anymore I prefer the 270. Kicks a little and kills a lot.
If the 270 isn't the perfect buck deer cartridge I don't know what is....
Its the perfect prairie grouse cartridge, I'm told!

I might have to get one! laugh
Buy the extra high BC bullets.........
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Buy the extra high BC bullets.........

I might have "High BC" tattooed on my dick... which from so many POV's is where the concept belongs. smile
.496 BC is the sweet spot....grin

[Linked Image]
LOL, good job bro.
That was Poobs, about 10 years ago!
I've done that with my .270.
Those high BC bullets rock.
A 30/06 would probably have wasted too much meat.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

yea..its called a 6.5x55....

COUGH !! COUGH !!

Before you say anything-- I have a 6.5X55 smirk

Jerry

[Linked Image]

Didja get blood on your chinks? That will rot the leather.
They can tell the difference if you're running a premium pill. That's how I roll. DRT

AAAAAHHHHHH. Fingernails/chalkboard!!

[Linked Image]

Way overpenetrated.
I had both, and at the same time but never shot anything with the 06 for some reason. I thought the .270 WIn. kicked a bit less and always worked fine for bear and deer. I have found that no how mild I reload the .270 Win. it still knocks the deer down in a hurry. I have loaded them to 30-30 or even milder. However, my average shot after all these years has been about 25 yds.

Trystan

You'll have to define "better"
© 24hourcampfire