Home
What chamber pressure is it rated for? Or........is it OK to use load data for the Ruger SBH?
Don't know what it's "rated" for, but absolutely don't try Rugerish loads in any toggle-link action, especially one's not made from steel. Lyman warns against trying to turn a.45 rifle into a .44 magnum, and they were using a M94. Other published loads I've seen for .45s in strong rifles have still been quite a bit lower than those for the same guns in .44. It's been a while since I looked at guns like yours, but as best I can remember, they were made in .38 Special, but NOT .357 mag.

SBH loads often run up around 30k. .45 Colt standard pressures are what, 12-16k?

What does the manual say? Have you contacted the importer?
Not my rifle. I traded a Blackhawk in 45 Colt to a guy and let him have a couple boxes of ammo I had loaded for it...... 8.8 gr CFE under 250 gr cast bullet. Chronoed at 980 fps.

Now he bought a Uberti and I warned him it might not be wise to shoot my reloads in it, but I'd like something other than a hunch to show him.

Uberti hasn't answered an email.

Thanks.
Smoking chunks of brass, walnut, and steel ought to convince him.😱
I doubt a catastrophic failure, but the fatigue life might be reduced considerably.

I wonder if the case would hold enough BP to blow up a rifle?
Posted By: 2525 Re: Uberti Yellow-boy in 45 Colt - 02/21/17
Made in Italy, the gun would have been proofed to CIP standards, which is only 16,000 for the .45 Colt. None of the other large cartridges they catalog that gun in (.44 Spl and .44-40) are any higher in pressure, so I wouldn't go beyond that.

The do offer the gun in cartridges with higher pressure ratings (.32-20 and .22 RF), but these are much smaller in diameter and won't stress the action as much.
The one thing about failures in these toggle link guns to note is that the shooter oftimes gets the "bolt" driven right through his skull.

Over pressuring that design is CRAZINESS.

GTC
Originally Posted by curdog4570
I doubt a catastrophic failure, but the fatigue life might be reduced considerably.

I doubt that BP pressures would be very high, but have no idea where data for that would be found.

I've been waiting for someone like Brian Pearce (actually, exactly Brian Pearce) to do a detailed review and load workup on the new Miroku 1873 as sold by Winchester. The reviews I've read have been positive, but didn't get into how well it would handle .357 loads over time.

No, it won't, and whatever BP grade is chosen the case should be FULL of it,...e.g. NO air space.

GTC
© 24hourcampfire