Home
Posted By: papat Mule Deer- Norwegian Krag - 02/27/17
John, just finished reading your article on your N Krag from a few months back. I'm starting another project on a barreled action I picked up a few years ago. Been molested somewhat by shortening barrel to 22 inches. Looking for a sporter stock. Most likely a partial inlet. So my major question is have you found anything else other than what you wrote before? Still 4895? I also have a pristine Redfield peep for an American Krag. It seems to not want to mount. Ideas concerning that? Thanx for your and any of the brethren's time on this.
papat,

I'm still shooting the same ammo worked up for the article, so no, don't have any more loads.

A few years I also sold both of the American Krags I had for a while, so don't know why the aperture sight doesn't fit! Sorry.
Posted By: Northman Re: Mule Deer- Norwegian Krag - 02/27/17
Just wanted to show a short video of the Norwgian krag, used in competion, before the Sauer 200 STR took over..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC4_g6N3aLA

Its one smooooth action smile
Posted By: beretzs Re: Mule Deer- Norwegian Krag - 02/27/17
That's some fast bolt gun work!
Posted By: papat Re: Mule Deer- Norwegian Krag - 02/27/17
Amazing.
Yep, they really know how to run bolt rifles!
Is he pulling the trigger with his middle or ring finger?
Middle.

It's interesting how little "muscle memory" is necessary to pull triggers well with the middle finger. Apparently there's a lot of transfer from the index finger. But I have also seen shooters do it with the ring finger.
fwiw & imho,
You've kinda got to keep a soft spot in your heart for the poor dumb bast***s. Cursed with a standard rifle, cartridge, and forced to actually concentrate on fundamentals. Thank God that sort of thing never caught on over here...(good natured smile)

Regards, Matt.

Posted By: Northman Re: Mule Deer- Norwegian Krag - 02/28/17
And this is the Sauer 200 STR that replaced it and the M98s in 1990: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBKjOQA5O18

Some 150.000 active shooters here, and another 3-400.000 in Scandinavia.
I think the OP is referring to one of these receiver sights:

[Linked Image]

The sight shown requires that you remove the magazine cutoff pins, which turns it into a single shot. Which is a shame given how smoothly the action functions.

The rifle has been in my family a long time; after I bought a Ruger #1 .30-40 I gave the Krag to an uncle, so these was no chance of a Ruger-only load being shot in the old gun.

I like the Krag, it is an interesting and well made action. Mine shot well, as you can see, despite having some sizable pits in the bore. Longer bullets worked better. I used 4350 and Reloader 19, in mild charges. I'll acquire another one someday.

Originally Posted by papat
John, just finished reading your article on your N Krag from a few months back. I'm starting another project on a barreled action I picked up a few years ago. Been molested somewhat by shortening barrel to 22 inches. Looking for a sporter stock. Most likely a partial inlet. So my major question is have you found anything else other than what you wrote before? Still 4895? I also have a pristine Redfield peep for an American Krag. It seems to not want to mount. Ideas concerning that? Thanx for your and any of the brethren's time on this.

Is your Redfield peep the model that utilized the magazine sideplate screw? #70 I believe? If so, I'm wondering if the magazine cut-off lever needs to be modified as with the American Krags! Somewhere in my photobucket stuff I have photo of directions for this

Lemme see if i can find them. I've modified my Krag cut off levers with a dremel cutting wheel with no issues.
Here is photo of modified mag cut-off lever. Do not simply remove lever! It needs to be in position for ammo to cycle smoothly!

[Linked Image]

I thought I had photo of Redfield directions. But I couldn't find them. Check with Krag Collectors assn. website. I think that is where I found them. Helpful folks!
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Here is photo of modified mag cut-off lever. Do not simply remove lever! It needs to be in position for ammo to cycle smoothly!

[Linked Image]

I thought I had photo of Redfield directions. But I couldn't find them. Check with Krag Collectors assn. website. I think that is where I found them. Helpful folks!

Ha! I lured in a real Krag expert! smile
LOL! Far from it Patrick!

OP. That rear retainer clip on the sight has to secure in the same hole as the mag cut off lever. But after modification there is room for both items in hole. Best way to modify is to remove the lever from receiver, make the modification, then slip it back in the magazine open position (lever up). There's a little spring loaded plunger that holds lever in place that has to be depressed to remove it. You will see it upon inspection.
Hot dog! I knew I still had them somewhere! Found it!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Mule Deer- Norwegian Krag - 02/28/17
I have a Pacific receiver sight on a Krag which has a spindle on it (it's the foundation of its mounting system) that slides into the cutoff hole eliminating any need for modification of the original cutoff.

The Lyman 48 I have on another sporter sits far enough forward to allow use of the original cutoff. (But the downside is you have to alter the rear of the side plate to allow the sight base to sit flush on the receiver.)

I have been sort of searching for a Norwegian Krag for years, but I swear every one I ever looked at had a sewer pipe bore in it.
Posted By: papat Re: Mule Deer- Norwegian Krag - 02/28/17
You guys are absolutely awesome!! Appreciate all the info and will try to make it work again. The funny thing about all this gnoahhh is a couple weeks ago we had a smallish local show in Shawnee, Ok and it had two very nicely done sportered N Krags. With all the big shows I had been to when I lived by KC I had never ever seen one. Move down here and seeing things I had never seen before.
Posted By: papat Re: Mule Deer- Norwegian Krag - 02/28/17
I skeedaddled out to the shop wildeyed with feverish anticipation. Constipation? Whatever. Obviously the Norsky differs from the American by not having that screw hold on the mag cover. It appears the cutoff holds it on? With the mag door shut and cutoff out the cover fell off. Ok it just fell off with the door open too. It's in my vise being observed right now. It also appears when I set it in place the screw hole on the sight is halfway off the cover meaning there is a difference there too. Sure looks pretty on there but no joy. Kaywoodie, it is the sight with the nice target knobs. Well shucks!!
I'm Just not all that familiar with the norwegian models and the ones I've seen, as gnoahhh says , barrels like sewer pipes!

Good luck. You'll figger something out!
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Mule Deer- Norwegian Krag - 02/28/17
i have to say putting those sights on a krag makes me shudder.
Have to ask. Where would you find those ammo holders they are using to dump rounds in the side mag?
Also where would one find ammo for a danish krag?
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Mule Deer- Norwegian Krag - 03/01/17
There's a guy on the Krag Collector's forum who makes brass stripper clips for U.S. Krags. He copied one that the Army experimented with 120 years ago. Works a treat, and not expensive relatively speaking- $50 give or take as I recall. They're quite a marvel consisting of many bends/folds and soldered joints. I bet he is working for less than minimum wage.

Putting those sights on a collectible original Krag would be sacrilegious, I agree. But considering that the vast majority of these rifles have already been altered from original makes them fair game for further modifications IMO.
Posted By: papat Re: Mule Deer- Norwegian Krag - 03/01/17
As gnoahhh said. It has already been molested so it is fair game for a PROPER sporter job. Ron, you will most likely have to assemble the Dane ammo to get any. Going to search around somemore on the sight situation but do have a couple ideas. Fortunately my pipe is very shiney and sweet. By the way, I just finished putting my Swede in some new clothes it deserved. Is it possible to do too many 6.5X55 projects in a row?
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Mule Deer- Norwegian Krag - 03/01/17
I have two krag's that i wouldn't touch, a long rifle and a carbine that are original.
But, i would have to think about it, but i have another that a advanced krag collector told me was a bannerman conversion.
it's the only one i have shot.
I am going to have to think about it.
Papat- you mentioned a semi-inlet stock earlier. What have you found in this department?
Posted By: papat Re: Mule Deer- Norwegian Krag - 03/01/17
All I have found so far is Richards. I really struggled getting the last stock I ordered from them to work. The one before that was magnificent. Go figure. Ron have you checked out what you need for brass for that Dane yet? I was looking at some measurements and will be some work but doable.
Don't care who built em, but you just gotta love a Krag!

Originally Posted by papat
All I have found so far is Richards. I really struggled getting the last stock I ordered from them to work. The one before that was magnificent. Go figure. Ron have you checked out what you need for brass for that Dane yet? I was looking at some measurements and will be some work but doable.

I've ordered one Richards. Sold it.

It was my first and my last.

Inletting looked like chewed out by a beaver.

Big contrast with Boyd. Richards offers a much bigger selection, which is good. But not if you can't use the product or if it takes way more work than it should.

DF
© 24hourcampfire