Home
Posted By: oldhandloader Mild .38 loads - 02/27/17
I have an old S&W Military and Police, first change, vintage about 1900 that belonged to Great Grandfather that I have had in the safe for many years and never fired. It is in pretty fair shape but my concern is modern chamber pressures in a hundred year old revolver. I reload for modern pistols and revolvers using Unique and Titegroup but am reluctant to use modern recipes in this old Smith. Usually I load 158 grain XTREME plated bullets. Can anyone recommend a recipe for this that will not over pressure?
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Mild .38 loads - 02/27/17
I use 3.8 grains of ww231 and a 147gr lead bullet. Very mild, very accurate.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Mild .38 loads - 02/27/17
3.5grs of Unique or Universal and 158gr cast bullets.
Posted By: bangeye Re: Mild .38 loads - 02/27/17
Light load of bullseye and 148 gr bevel base wadcutter. A pound of bullseye will last forever just be sure to inspect your cases for 2x charges.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Mild .38 loads - 02/27/17
2.7 to 2.9g Bullseye for the 148g wadcutters. 3.5 - 3.8g Unique for a lead 158g SWC should work fine. If your pistol was made before 1920 or so it would not have been heat treated the same as the later Smith's. Better to stay with the light loads.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Mild .38 loads - 02/27/17
Since you use TiteGroup instead of Bullseye just substitute the same weights; 2.8 to 3.0 grains under a 148 HBWC. That is what I use to duplicate that old classic Bullseye load.
Posted By: nick Re: Mild .38 loads - 02/27/17
Using lead will be easier on the older gun as most guys already stated
Your Extreme plated bullets are basically lead, so they should be fine. Any load staying around 700 to 800 at the high end should be low enough not to stress your M&P.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Mild .38 loads - 02/27/17
I use trailboss. Not sure about pressures though. Dunno if it would be safe for older ones
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Mild .38 loads - 02/27/17
It would keep you from double charging and I believe the book says 800 fps at most
Yep double charges are an issue, I load for a S&W 52 a lot and I find I have to be anal about checking things. It is very easy to miss a double load in a dirty case. 2.7g of Bullseye is perhaps a fifth of what a 38 Special would hold. I still shoot a Hand Ejector 1903 in 32 Long, as long as the loads are around 700fps no issues with and older pistol. I use lead as the jacketed bullets often require more pressure for a safe load.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Mild .38 loads - 02/28/17
Back in the '80s when I shot PPC competition the standard load was 2.7gr of bullseye or 231 pushing a Zero hollow based wad cutter. Indoors-50' we went down to 2.2gr. Double charges are bad...
Posted By: Huntz Re: Mild .38 loads - 02/28/17
If you turn those hollow based wadcutters around,they make a hell of a SD load.I use them in my Chiefs Special.
Posted By: HawkI Re: Mild .38 loads - 02/28/17
The first thing I would make sure of is that its a 38 SW Special and not a 38 SW. Just an FYI.

If you're sure then disregard...

Standard loads exist for both with either Bullseye and Unique with LEAD bullets.

The 38 SW will run .358 bullets, better if hollow base. Even better at .360.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Mild .38 loads - 03/01/17
Trail Boss and 158gr Hornady swaged. Pressure for the top load is 13,700.

One of my pals here pooh-poohs the double-charge business, but he's pretty frugal with regard to powder. I load the top load of 4.2gr and find it accurate and pleasant, and it doesn't lead a bit. The HPs probably won't expand at that velocity, but I wouldn't want one coursing through my innards.

Trail Boss meters well, just don't sneeze over an open bowl-full.
Posted By: 257Rob Re: Mild .38 loads - 03/29/17
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Trail Boss meters well, just don't sneeze over an open bowl-full.

The imagery is amazing! grin
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Mild .38 loads - 03/30/17
I've loaded some lead HBWC and lead round nose over book minimum Bullseye, 231, and Unique that were mild and recoil was only a little more than a 22.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Mild .38 loads - 03/30/17

this stuff............

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Mild .38 loads - 03/30/17
Trail Boss.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Mild .38 loads - 03/30/17
Trail Boss is "safe" in that it fills up a lot more of the case. On the other hand it has about the worst "bang for the buck" of any powder made. Give me 2.7 gr. Bullseye and I'm happy- so what if I have to take an extra 30 seconds to visually triple check my charged cases in the loading block. You can't beat a penny per powder charge.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Mild .38 loads - 03/30/17
Check out cowboy action loads. Those guys are the masters of what you seek.

Good posts, lots of options. Great round.

DF
Posted By: Deflagrate Re: Mild .38 loads - 03/31/17
I don't understand why you don't know the load pressures for Titegroup because Hodgdon posts them online in their data. Where do you get data from?
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

Trail Boss because it was developed just for light loads the gamers and old geezer puff-pooh barely got out of the bore CAS shooters wanted.
I load 44 Colt with it and have even played with some 45-70 loads with it. Some buddies loaded their 38 Specials to amazingly nothing pop loads with it.
Just look at Hodgdon's website and use the starting loads.

And just to reiterate, http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/ if anyone has to ask for data for a cartridge and powder made by a company that has said data online they should take another class before they start dropping powder in cases.

Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Mild .38 loads - 04/01/17
Trail Boss leaves residue; I don't like it. It does fill the case.

Titegroup is reportedly not position sensitive, which can be important for loads thst don't fill the case.

Clays was my favorite CAS powder for .38 Spec.

I did tests on a number of CAS powders, loaded to push mod wt. slugs at 600 fps.

Very clean burners were Solo 1000, Am. Select, Titegroup, Clays. Unique was dirty, but burns pretty clean, shot hot. Most others were in between. I actually measured residue.

DF
Posted By: ColdCase1984 Re: Mild .38 loads - 04/01/17
How much will you actually shoot or carry that glorious family heirloom?

My counsel would be a couple factory boxes of Federal 148 WCs. That's what I carry in my Plus-P rated 442 on & off duty.
Posted By: Trombaguy Re: Mild .38 loads - 04/01/17
38 Special 148 grain Wadcutters and 3.9 grains of Accurate #5. I know it may be sacrilege, but some of the newer powders are cleaner burning than Bullseye. Bangeye's right, though, watch out for double charges.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Mild .38 loads - 04/03/17
I'd use about 4.0 of 231 and a swaged lead 158, and call it good. Very mild shooting, accurate, and cheap.

Bullseye doesn't thrill me, too easy to flub up and double charge with it.

I haven't used Trail Boss, it's probably a good choice, but without any first hand experience, I can't recommend it.

4.5 to 5.0 of Unique or Universal would work well, too.

Those ultralight charges of Bullseye and other powders kinda spook me. I like things to be idiot-proof, as I have sometimes done idiotic things.
© 24hourcampfire