Home
Wondering if you ever did a sxs test of single stage presses like the Co Ax, Rockchucker, Summit, or Redding T7 for example?

Maybe compare runout, mechanical strength/advantage, ease of use etc.

I have an old Rockchucker but I am itching to try something new and have my eye on a Co Ax or really change things up with a T7
I'm not M.D. and I don't claim to know much. What I do know is that you should look very hard at the Co Ax. I say that because I've used one for a very long time(think 1970 or so)and I've still not found anything to complain about. I've also used the RCBS Rockchucker and still do. It's OK too. But, the Co-Ax is so easy to use. I also like the primer seating set up and the primer catcher. As far as run out is concerned, if all thing are equal, I see no measurable difference. The down side is it's expensive.
Not really, but am thinking of trying a Co-Ax after all the good things heard about them. But have been using a T7 for over a decade now, often as a semi-progressive, and with Redding Competition dies it cranks out 6mm PPC's that average about .0005" bullet run-out.
I am curious as well, I am still using a Lee aluminum press. Had it for almost 30 years now with no complaints. The hinges on the lever are starting to wear, even with grease so might be time for a new press. I'm a bit of a Luddite, have a powder measure new in the box and I still measure each load by hand on the old 505 scale..
My Rock Chucker is 40 years old. Loaded lots of rounds with it. It will take me out.
I love my Co-Ax. I've got a rock chucker sitting right beside it and use the co-ax most of the time. There are some things that I prefer doing on the rock chucker though. If I'm using a lee collet die then that gets used on the rock chucker. Also the co-ax doesn't handle really long cartridges that well so they go through the rock chucker.
I'm feeling ready to replace the single-stage Pacific press I got in 1974. Leaning toward a T-7 but maybe a Co-ax. Buddy of mine once had a Co-ax and it was NICE.
I've been very happy with my Redding Big Boss using Redding dies. It works very well.

Pistol cartridges get loaded on my Hornady LNL progressive.
Rock Chucker since 1972 will never change
Likewise use my Co-Ax most of the time. It is not so great with big rimmed cases, like .45-90, .50-110, etc. But I also have a Redding Ultramag for those. Also have a T7. At some point I will add the Hornady LNL AP for pistol ammo.
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Wondering if you ever did a sxs test of single stage presses like the Co Ax, Rockchucker, Summit, or Redding T7 for example?

I know I'm obtuse; but, what is "a (sic) sxs test"?
I really like my Lee Classic Cast.
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

I know I'm obtuse; but, what is "a (sic) sxs test"?

"sxs" = side by side..........
Thank you PaleRider.
smile
Originally Posted by bea175
Rock Chucker since 1972 will never change

I've had mine since '96 ?, It does everything I need very well. I really like the inside height for 8 RM--375HH length cases.

Yes the spent primer catcher could be designed better, but t's easy to remove and empty.

Jerry
I have an early Rockchucker, early enough that it has the bicycle finger-groove type handle (late 60s?). I bought it used about 1990.

Somewhere close to a decade ago, I decided to "upgrade" to the Co-Ax when they came out with the longer yoke model that will work with Comp dies. It went on the bench beside the Rockchucker. At about the same time I bought the Sinclair concentricity indicator tool.

Long story short, the Rockchucker makes ammo every bit as straight as the Co-Ax. Checked with the Sinclair concentricity tool, they both will make ammo as straight as the components. They both will make "0" run-out ammo using Comp dies and prepped brass.

I prefer the Rockchucker due to it being faster. I moved into a new house about 18 months ago. The Rockchucker was set up ASAP, the Co-Ax is still on a shelf under the bench.
RickF, I have the same bicycle type handle. After researching the Co Ax and examining my needs I decided to keep what I have. I am going to change the handle out to one of these:

https://inlinefabrication.com/colle...age-rc-i-and-the-rc-ii-models-ergo-style
RickF, I have the same bicycle type handle. After researching the Co Ax and examining my needs I decided to keep what I have. I am going to change the handle out to one of these:

https://inlinefabrication.com/colle...age-rc-i-and-the-rc-ii-models-ergo-style

Wow....gotta have one! Thanks for posting.
I'm embarrassed to admit that I thought Co-Ax was cable you plugged into the TV...

seriously, never heard of a Co-Ax press.

Been using a rockchucker since ~1987 or so. (when I was 14)
Originally Posted by Billy_Goat
I'm embarrassed to admit that I thought Co-Ax was cable you plugged into the TV...

seriously, never heard of a Co-Ax press.

Been using a rockchucker since ~1987 or so. (when I was 14)

That's no problem. You keep using your Rockchucker. It's a fine press. Most are.

Reloaders are like women in a lot of ways. Women are always shopping for new shoes and accessories. Reloaders are always looking for new presses and accessories.

https://inlinefabrication.com/collection...dels-ergo-style

That site has some interesting stuff. L.E.D. press lights for illumination? Hmm.
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I love my Co-Ax. I've got a rock chucker sitting right beside it and use the co-ax most of the time. There are some things that I prefer doing on the rock chucker though. If I'm using a lee collet die then that gets used on the rock chucker. Also the co-ax doesn't handle really long cartridges that well so they go through the rock chucker.

Same here. I load my .416 Rigby's on the RC, or any other use that requires a little more leverage.
have my co ax and rockchucker set up side by side.

Ed
An old Lee Challenger still works, but with amended RCBS dies. Very straight loads.
Have a Hornady 007 that has served me faithfully for years. Has loaded thousands of rounds and seems as tight as it was when new.
Originally Posted by hanco
My Rock Chucker is 40 years old. Loaded lots of rounds with it. It will take me out.

Have used a Rockchucker and Super Rockchucker for same time. Last Fall, i bought a Lee Challenger which is now dedicated to primer removal via a dedicated decapping die. Saves a bit of time.
I bought my Rock Chucker new in 1977. Over the last 10-15 years I have thought often of getting a Co-Ax or a T-7 or both. If I were starting over, I'd probably get a Co-Ax. But since I put a Hornady Lock-N-Load bushing in the Rock Chucker, it has really been a joy to use.

However, I might have to spring for one of those fancy roller handles that somebody posted a link to.

If the T7 used 1-1/4 x 7/8 die bushings like the Rock Chucker so I could add Lock-N-Load bushings, I would probably get one tomorrow.
© 24hourcampfire