Home
Posted By: jerrys 6mm PPC - 04/17/17
About 20 years ago I bought a Sako III repeater HB in 6mmPPC USA . Worked on it for a while and lost interest. I lost all the test targets w/ load data. Velocity was high. I used Lapua 220R brass. Outside neck on a fired case dia. was was .27. Inside neck dia. is .24. I could seat a bullet with out neck sizing. I guess it is a neck turn situation in a factory Sako barrel. Is this common? Now, if I where to invest in new Norma 6PPC brass, would it be a no-turn situation? Rifle was very accurate but hot. Hope this is clear. Just wondering about the Norma brass. Thanks, Jerry
Posted By: barm Re: 6mm PPC - 04/17/17
I used to have one of the sporter weight AII's and I used Norma brass and I did not have to turn necks. Sorry I don't have the brass or rifle anymore, so I can't take any meaurements.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: 6mm PPC - 04/17/17
On my old Sako PPC I used 220 Russian brass without neck turning. Mine was a single shot.
Posted By: greydog Re: 6mm PPC - 04/17/17
My first PPC had a .264 neck and 220 russian brass , turned just enough to clean up, needed sizing in a .261 die to reliably hold a bullet. My next barrel was a .262 neck and could be used with fitted necks. This was with Sako brass. GD
Posted By: jerrys Re: 6mm PPC - 04/18/17
Thanks all. Found a u-tube video featuring Lou Murdica that explains the Norma 6PPC brass. Answered my questions close enough that I will give the norma a try. I do have some Norma 22PPC brass. Necks are thinner than the Lapua Russian. Jerry
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: 6mm PPC - 04/18/17
Originally Posted by jerrys
Thanks all. Found a u-tube video featuring Lou Murdica that explains the Norma 6PPC brass. Answered my questions close enough that I will give the norma a try. I do have some Norma 22PPC brass. Necks are thinner than the Lapua Russian. Jerry

Lou has been around for quite some time and is very knowledgeable.
Lou was the money that convinced Hodgen to reintroduce the old 8208 powder and was the seed money to help March scopes get started.
Posted By: zeissman Re: 6mm PPC - 04/24/17
I bought a new Sako AI single shot 6mm PPC USA HB back in 1991. Always used Sako 6mm PPC USA brass in it. The chamber dimensions were such that there was about .004 clearance on a loaded round using that brass. No need to neck turn. My friend had the same rifle and his chamber dimensions were identical to mine. Don't whether the Sako brass is still available, but it was very good.

Exceptionally accurate for a production rifle. The Sako factory ammunition was loaded with Vihtavuori N130 powder and Sierra 70gr Match bullets.

© 24hourcampfire