Home
Posted By: prm Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/01/18
Anyone tried these yet? Hoping someone has insight into performance when testing these on game during development. Like to try the .264 130s.
Posted By: mathman Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/01/18
Looks like a way to tack on $10+ more per hundred.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/01/18
Just another first iteration Ballistic Tip....they won't hold together as well as the newer BT's though.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/01/18
Godogs57, I wish I could know if you are right.
I use the old 100 count box 165 308's in my 308.
Only thing I have seen work as well on deer is the 180 pro-hunter in '06.
Including multiple bullets from 243 to 300 mag.

If those 6.5 could make my Swede kill like the 308, I would stock up.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/01/18
Dillonbuck - I have yet to try anything of any caliber that kills faster, hog or deer, with textbook penetration and expansion, than a plain 140 grain Gameking in 6.5 run at a moderate speed.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/01/18
Originally Posted by prm
Anyone tried these yet? Hoping someone has insight into performance when testing these on game during development. Like to try the .264 130s.

How fast you gonna be pushing them?

Big difference between a Creed and a 26 Nosler.

I shoot both. Different effect on bullets.

DF
Posted By: prm Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/01/18
Creed for me.
Posted By: hanco Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/01/18
I bet they will be accurate!
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/01/18
Will they still be making the HP's?
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/01/18
Is this a Gameking or Matchking? Sierra doesn't show a tipped GameKing.
Posted By: erickg Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/01/18
Yes, they're tipped Gamekings, Sierra is calling them Gamechangers, which is a joke as Nosler came out with this idea decades ago. What is the annual rounds down range ratio between any of their initial offerings and anything .224? They're missing the boat big time not offering something that at a minimum could be launched out of all the 1/9 twist AR's out there. A tipped 65 with a jacket that was designed to hold together well on big game would fly off the shelves. Something heavier would be even better, until they pull their head out, Hornady will continue to eat Sierras lunch.
Posted By: prm Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/01/18
Not on the Sierra website yet.

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?promoti...ink&utm_campaign=sierra-game-changer
Posted By: LukefromBC Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/02/18
The 90 gr 243 with a 0.49 BC looks like a pretty good option to try in my 10 twist Tikka t3. I'm looking forward to it.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/02/18
Originally Posted by LukefromBC
The 90 gr 243 with a 0.49 BC looks like a pretty good option to try in my 10 twist Tikka t3. I'm looking forward to it.

I will be trying them in my 6mm.
Posted By: kman Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/02/18
The 100gr horn btsp left oval holes in my 10 twist AI. I'm very curious to see if those 90gr bullets stabilize in a 10 twist.
Posted By: erickg Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/02/18
1/10 twist should easily stabalize that bullet. Have you checked your twist rate to confirm its 1/10? if you can't stabilize that bullet, theres no way that the longer 90 grain Gamechanger will shoot in your rifle either. Lenght not weight is what matters in regards to stabilization.
Posted By: kman Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/02/18
100gr corelokt and 95gr btips work. I've measured the twist at 1-10.
Posted By: prm Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/02/18
I ordered a box of .264 130s. We’ll see...
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/02/18
From description on Midway site:

Introducing the Sierra GameChanger hunting bullet: the perfect combination of Sierra’s legendary match accuracy coupled with deadly penetration. Sierra re-engineered their legendary MatchKing bullet into a hollow point design for quick expansion and fitted it with a transparent green tip for ballistic uniformity. Inside, the GameChanger features a unique construction that utlilizes a special lead alloy surrounded by a tough copper jacket that delivers excellent penetration and expansion at a variety of ranges.
Posted By: prm Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/05/18
My order of 130 6.5s arrived. They touch at 2.928”. However, that places the boatail up in the neck. I think I’d like them touching most of the neck, especially with this cartridge where the bullet sticks out so far. Roughly eyeballing a 2.88 would fully engage the neck. Likely start there with RL16 and see how it works.
Posted By: Elvis Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/05/18
I'd like to see a .257 110-115gn Gamechanger. I guess more will be added soon.
Posted By: Brad Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/05/18
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Just another first iteration Ballistic Tip....they won't hold together as well as the newer BT's though.

And you know this because?
Posted By: Autofive Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/05/18
Brad, you took the words right out of my mouth !!
Posted By: prm Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/05/18
Maybe these will at least shoot well. I keep hearing about BTs shooting well but that is not my experience. 165s in my 308 are acceptable, but average at best, 180s in 338 are the 2nd worse bullet for accuracy I’ve tried.
Posted By: WAM Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/05/18
There are so many great hunting bullets out there these days like Nosler Partitions, Accubonds, Barnes TTSX, etc. if one is already using a quality bullet that shoots well, why would you opt to try a new bullet like these unless you are just looking for something cheaper to punch paper or varmints? Happy Trails
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/05/18
Originally Posted by WAM
There are so many great hunting bullets out there these days like Nosler Partitions, Accubonds, Barnes TTSX, etc. if one is already using a quality bullet that shoots well, why would you opt to try a new bullet like these unless you are just looking for something cheaper to punch paper or varmints? Happy Trails

There are so many great rifles, optics, calibers, bullets, powders out there these days, why try anything new. Come on WAM, you're talking to a bunch of guys many, if not most, of whom own multiple different rifles in the same calibers, multiple calibers in the same model rifles, who might have three or four "pet loads" for a rifle they use for one purpose and that only makes the rotation to the hunting fields every 4 or 5 years..... Rifle loonies don't need no stinkin' common sense...
Posted By: CGPAUL Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/05/18
Have you tried their .224 69 gn. tipped MK`s? I don`t know about larger game, but they hold up well on PD`s. Accurate as all get out too.
Originally Posted by WAM

I am glad there are many that don't think the same way, the evidence is we have all those great products to try instead of one that "worked".
Posted By: vapodog Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/05/18
Sierra has been sucking the hind one on adding BC enhancing tips to their bullets.....and now when it seems (to me at least) the future is in lead free bullets they are trying to simulate winners like the Accubonds, ballistic tips, Hornady SST, interbonds and scirocco II from Swift

One would think they could be a bit more foresighted.
I think perhaps in the past they focused on Matchkings because that was their volume bullet but when Berger & Match Grade Tipped bullets from Hornady and others started being used by "volume" shooters caused them to think again, but I could be wrong.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/06/18
Sierra sells so many Match bullets they could probably scrap the hunting line and be $$$ ahead. They make some really accurate bullets, just pick and choose which ones you use for hunting. Some are exceptional both good and bad.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/06/18
Good looking bullet.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/06/18
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Good looking bullet.
[Linked Image]

Shoot some cervid biomass with it and get back to us!
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/06/18
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Good looking bullet.
[Linked Image]

Shoot some cervid biomass with it and get back to us!

If they shoot 1 1/2" or better I plan on using them exclusively this fall. Maybe kill a half dozen deer to get a decent idea of what they will do. Hope to give them a whirl on coyotes too.

If they perform like a 100 grain Gameking I will be happy.
Posted By: DoeDumper Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/07/18
I gotta try em....
I can't imagine a Sierra bullet not shooting into 1 1/2 inch or better from a health rifle. They are consistently the most accurate brand of projectiles I've ever shot...and through many many guns.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/07/18
Originally Posted by Three30Eight
I can't imagine a Sierra bullet not shooting into 1 1/2 inch or better from a health rifle. They are consistently the most accurate brand of projectiles I've ever shot...and through many many guns.

This gun shows a very strong preference for a flat base. Only shot a couple of different boat tailed bullets from it with so so results. These could be different though.
Posted By: liliysdad Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/07/18
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
Have you tried their .224 69 gn. tipped MK`s? I don`t know about larger game, but they hold up well on PD`s. Accurate as all get out too.

The 69gr TMK is a stone cold killer on coyotes and pigs when pushed about 3500fps.
Originally Posted by vapodog
Sierra has been sucking the hind one on adding BC enhancing tips to their bullets.....and now when it seems (to me at least) the future is in lead free bullets they are trying to simulate winners like the Accubonds, ballistic tips, Hornady SST, interbonds and scirocco II from Swift

One would think they could be a bit more foresighted.

You have to sell product to the current market if you want to stay in business. The current market wants ultra high BC tipped bullets. They can build lead free hunting bullets if the market ever goes that way.
Posted By: WAM Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/10/18
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by WAM

..... Rifle loonies don't need no stinkin' common sense...

What was I thinking? Must have lost my head there for a minute! Happy Trails
Posted By: Elvis Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/11/18
Interesting that Sierra seem to have changed the ogive on this bullet. It looks to me from the pics I've seen (at least to my eyes) that they have given the Gamechanger a secent ogive like Hornady. Can anybody else see that or is it just my aging eyes?
Posted By: M1Garand Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/11/18
I noticed it as well. Looks like a Scirocco to me.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/11/18
Long boogers. Not so sure you can seat them to 2.8" for fear of the ogive being below the mouth on a 243 or 6mm Remington.

I could be wrong though, just seems like mine at 2.9" and change can't be much shorter without the ogive being in the neck.
Posted By: iddave Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/11/18
My .300 WSM at 2.850 is pretty dang deep as well, but they were shooting well from 100-600 this morning...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/14/18
Nice group!
Posted By: Arns9 Re: Sierra Tipped GAMEKing - 08/19/18
Originally Posted by Three30Eight

This mirrors my thoughts and experiences.
© 24hourcampfire