376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger

Posted by: Cohiba

376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 06:27 AM

376 Steyr
3.075" cartridge overall length
case 2.35"
shoulder 17 degrees
slightly rebated rim of .494" diameter
max pressure is to be 62,000 psi (Steyrs #)
factory fodder is +- 58,000 psi
factory loads 225 and 270 both at +-2600 (published) but around 2550 froma 20" prohunter.
Hodgdon data says that max MV of about 2910 fps can be gotten w/ the 225 grainer and 2388 fps with a 300 grain bullet.

I'd like to know how the two would rounds stack up in direct comparison.
Not if they are popular or avail at walmart. I am not looking for a steyr vs ruger argument but curious about the rounds themselves.
Posted by: jorgeI

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 07:18 AM

The Steyr is a dead cartridge. Never measured up to the 375 H&H while the Ruger is suppossed to exceed it. Given the traditional looks of the Ruger and expected performance, it might just make it. I certainly plan to give it a whirl and I never entertained the same yearning for the Steyr.

The Steyr was a proprietary cartridge packaged only in Steyr rifles which are considered "non-mainstream" ( read: WEIRD)everywhere except for maybe europe. jorge

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 07:27 AM

i understand that. i am asking how the two rounds measure up heads up.

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 07:37 AM

Well the 375 Ruger so far on paper, bests it by 300 fps? jorge

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 07:43 AM

So the is steyr is dead then the ruger isnt even really born yet.
what load is it supposed to best the steyr by 300 FPS?
i'd like to compare energy difference.
I am curious as to the amount of the same type of powder it takes each respective round to a certain FPS (efficancy), the amount of recoil by a per pound of rifle comparison and the estimated FPS of 225-270 and 300 gr bullets out of the same BBL length.
Posted by: rattler

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 07:53 AM

the Steyr is based off a slightly shortened 9.3x62 case, the Ruger is going to have more case capasity as its a standard length round thats wider(same diameter as the belt on a 7rem mag or related case), case capasity wins, the Ruger can meet the Steyr's performance at much lower pressures or you can load it to normal pressures and it can best it by more than a bit i would think...........comparing these two cases aint rocket science even without having held either in my hand.

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 07:55 AM

hows that work out in a shorter BBL?
is that additional case capacity gonna mean anything without a 24-26" tube to burn it in?

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 07:58 AM

didnt realize the 375H&H needed that length tube, have heard quite a few wack them to 22ish and were quite happy with performance............the Ruger wont best the H&H for case capisity(or if it does not by enough to be meaningful) cant see where a 22 inch barrel will hurt the Ruger

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 08:00 AM

Steyr: 2388 fps with a 300gr bullet (your stats)
Ruger: 2650 fps with a 300gr bullet

That's about 260 fps. Sorry I was off by 40, hence, my question mark in my original post.

Just go to the Africa Forum and you can read lots of posts, some by John Barnsness and an link to the Boddington article. There is no comparison between the two. The Ruger is a vastly superior cartridge. jorge
Posted by: GonHuntin

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 08:24 AM

Superior only in the sense that the 30-06 is superior to the 308.....or the 300 win mag is superior to the 30-06....... increased velocity is the only difference.......by the way, that 2388 fps figure is from a 20" barrel.......what is the barrel length for the Ruger @ 2650 and at what pressure does it run to get there???

No doubt, the Ruger will push the same bullet faster.....even in the short barrel.....but if a person wants a 20" barrel.......just how much does he give up by chosing the 376 over the Ruger round??

If velocity makes a cartridge "vastly superior"......why aren't you shooting a 375 RUM instead of a 375 H&H???

Yes, I own a 376 Steyr.....I also own a 375 H&H and I'm not looking to part with either!

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 08:25 AM

actually Hodgon list the vargets max w/ a 300 @ 2410 from a 24" BBL so we are down to 240 FPS if the 375 ruger speed is also from a 24" BBL. even less it its from a 26".
"no comparison"
thats not entirly correct. if the rugers figures are from a 26" then we could be talking about a difference of less than 150 FPS. i'd say thats a fair place to start comparing. given, as well, that the steyr is shorter 3.07 vs the ruger at, what 3.37 or so?

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 08:38 AM

Ruger figures are from a 23" barrel and runs the same PSI as the H&H.
Look, you are not going to get me to say the Steyr is either comparable to the Ruger or H&H. There is a reason as to why it is a DEAD cartridge. Yes I do believe in higher velocity as a positive component of a hunting bullet. The "vastly superior" was in reference to velocity only, but I guess if you push me, I'd also have to say it is "vastly superior" to the Steyr cartridge that I considered a loser from the start along with that other loser the Scout rifle.

I don't own, nor do I plan to own any rifles with 20" tubes. 22" is my limit. Must be penis-envy.

As to why I am not shooting a RUM, the answer is simple: I don't do Remington rifles, but I do shoot Weatherbys. jorge
Posted by: Murphy

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 08:38 AM

A couple of points I'd like to throw out, since I have actually had all the known 375 calibers in my hand, including the Ruger and Steyr, and have shot all except the Ruger.

Ruger/Hornady list the performance of the 375 Ruger as 300 grains at 2660 fps from a 23" barrel. The 375 H&H from my 22.5" barrel will send any 300 grain bullet out at 2550 fps. The 376 Steyr from my 22" barrel is 2495 fps (at 15" from the muzzle). The Steyr isn't any more dead than the 350 Rem mag or the 257 Roberts. It is chambered in many guns every year. The Dakota M97 makes a good platform and will hold three in the magazine. The Steyr was meant to be an in between ballistically and also non belted, smooth feeder. It is based on a shortened 9.3x64 case, (not the 62mm)a perfectly good case, why it was shortened I don't know. I made wildcats by necking the 9.3x64 case up to 375 and down to 338 back in the 1980's. 9.3 bullets were like chicken lips back then.

The 375 Ruger will hold four (4) grains more powder than the 375 H&H (winchester brass).

I don't think the Ruger round is meant to best the H&H but to offer the very well accepted H&H ballistics from a standard length, non belted cartridge. I'm sure it will do that.

Murphy

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 08:43 AM

Great post, Murphy. I still think the Steyr is a dead cartridge. though. jorge

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 08:47 AM

Quote:

The 375 H&H from my 22.5" barrel will send any 300 grain bullet out at 2550 fps. The 376 Steyr from my 22" barrel is 2495 fps Murphy

i am assuming that the 22" tube is custom since i am unaware of that length being ever in production by Steyr. given that i have found that the Steyr BBL's are indede faster than standard BBL's. for instance the hornady #8095 factory load only bests 2510 from a 20" browning and 2560 from a 20" steyr.
in a shorter case, action and overall rifle.
given the whole package bolt throw BBL length recoil ect were do you give the points to the ruger and were to the steyr.
thanks

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 09:16 AM

Yeah! I called Redding twice to get dies for the 376 Steyr cartridge. Once about two weeks after it was introduced and once about a year later and both times they called it a "dead round" with no intentions of making dies for it. I bought RCBS dies and they work fine. I also have a set of RCBS 338/376 Steyr dies for my not so wild cat. That's a more sensible round than the shortened 375. I like to tinker with different cases and make new calibers but when I go hunting I carry the H&H or something bigger.

Murphy

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 09:21 AM

It is based on a shortened 9.3x64 case, (not the 62mm)a perfectly good case

you are correct, sorry its been a long week.........

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 09:50 AM

what are you 376 and 338/06 built on?
curious about the 338/376, BBL length weights and velocities.
Posted by: sdgunslinger

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 10:28 AM

If the projections for the Ruger cartridge capacity are true, my guesstimate (from loading my 375 Weatherby) is that the Ruger will push a 270 gr slug to 2900 fps with around 88 gr of 4350 , give or take .

Hodgdon shows the Steyr cartridge OAL length at 3.1 inch making it around a whole 0.2 inch shorter than the Ruger rifle.........big whoop for that...........

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 10:46 AM

Quote:

Ruger figures are from a 23" barrel and runs the same PSI as the H&H.
Look, you are not going to get me to say the Steyr is either comparable to the Ruger or H&H. There is a reason as to why it is a DEAD cartridge. Yes I do believe in higher velocity as a positive component of a hunting bullet. The "vastly superior" was in reference to velocity only, but I guess if you push me, I'd also have to say it is "vastly superior" to the Steyr cartridge that I considered a loser from the start along with that other loser the Scout rifle.

I don't own, nor do I plan to own any rifles with 20" tubes. 22" is my limit. Must be penis-envy.

As to why I am not shooting a RUM, the answer is simple: I don't do Remington rifles, but I do shoot Weatherbys. jorge

Well jorge.....winchester chambered rifles in the RUM line of cartridges.......so there goes your "I don't do Remington" excuse......

The man asked a simple question.....you could have answered it, instead, you tried to turn this into a Steyr bashing thread....WHY???

Nobody said that the 376 Steyr is as fast as the 375 Ruger........

Here is something for you to think about........if you shoot the same animal at 200 yards with the same bullet fired out of a 376 Steyr or a 375 H&H or a 375 Ruger or a 375 RUM.......which one will kill him deader???

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 11:09 AM

Winchester never chambered the 375 RUM to my knowledge and I don't care for any of the RUM cartridges as there are others that work about the same and being that Model 70s are history, there goes your excuse.

Now if you look at my first post, that is EXACTLY what I responded to. The Ruger {sic} stacks up as better than the Steyr.

As to your answer on the 200 yard kill shot, what you are asking is an oxymoron dead is dead. Now if you were to ask me which one would have greater killing effect as in which ne would bring about the animal's demise faster and assuming exact bullet placement for all the calibers in question, my money would be on the RUM, given it's huge velocity delta, but in my case the 378 Weatherby.

As to the {sic} bashing, I was just stating facts; the 376 Steyr IS a dead issue. Now if you want to ask me what I think about Steyr RIFLES, I'll be glad to proffer my views on them. jorge

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 11:11 AM

JorgeI,
how many factory loads are there for the 358 winchester?
is that dead as well?
as i said in the inital post that started the thread, i was wondering how they stacked up. no poularity or market appeal.

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 11:21 AM

I believe the initial query was answered and corrected; about 250-60 fps faster advantage of the Ruger.

Winchester still loads the 200gr Power Point and good luck in finding a box. Is anybody chambering the 358? I think Browning did in their BLR for a while, good round but it is also moribund. The 375 Ruger has a bit more speed than the H&H but the advantage is the use of a standard length action as well as increased performance or at least equal. jorge

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 11:26 AM

I see. so at 200 yards we are talking somewere in the area of a 250 foot pounds of energy difference between the 2? that is given same BBl length?

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 11:40 AM

Quote:

Winchester never chambered the 375 RUM to my knowledge and I don't care for any of the RUM cartridges as there are others that work about the same and being that Model 70s are history, there goes your excuse.

I can't say for sure whether Winchester made a 70 in 375 RUM, but they did make them in 300 RUM.....a simple barrel replacement would have you up and running with a "vastly superior", or at least faster 375 rifle......and, a simple rechamber of a 70 in 375 H&H has been done with success.....since you don't do Remingtons.......

Quote:

Now if you look at my first post, that is EXACTLY what I responded to. The Ruger {sic} stacks up as better than the Steyr.

I don't recall him asking your opinion of its viability.......he asked

Quote:

"I'd like to know how the two would rounds stack up in direct comparison.
Not if they are popular or avail at walmart. I am not looking for a steyr vs ruger argument but curious about the rounds themselves. "

The ruger IS faster than the Steyr.....period.....and that's the only advantage it has.

Quote:

As to your answer on the 200 yard kill shot, what you are asking is an oxymoron dead is dead. Now if you were to ask me which one would have greater killing effect as in which ne would bring about the animal's demise faster and assuming exact bullet placement for all the calibers in question, my money would be on the RUM, given it's huge velocity delta, but in my case the 378 Weatherby.

Do you really think there will be a noticeable difference at 200 yards??? According to the great debate over on AR, after a certain point, more velocity actually hurts penetration......which side of that debate did you come down on???

Quote:

As to the {sic} bashing, I was just stating facts; the 376 Steyr IS a dead issue.

It's not really any more dead than lots of other cartridges out there......brass isn't difficult to get....loaded ammo is still available......and it still does what it was made to do when used properly.......

Quote:

Now if you want to ask me what I think about Steyr RIFLES, I'll be glad to proffer my views on them. jorge

Funny part of this, jorge......there probably aren't a dozen registered members of this forum that care one iota what you (or I) think about anything........

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 11:43 AM

recoil on the two from the same weight rifle? anybody have a formula?
reason im asking if i really like steyrs AND really like rugers. cold hammer forged bbls ect. but now that the ruger is CRF im thinking of getting one when they hit the stores and trimming it back to 22" or so. if its gonna be so similar to the 376 i wont bother. that looks the way its stacking up. energy wise, powder consumption wise, ect.

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 12:12 PM

I answered thusly: "Well the 375 Ruger so far on paper, bests it by 300 fps? ( I was off by about 40 fps, hence, the question mark). What part of that is hard to register?

To me, a 250 fps difference is substantial, especially in the bigger bores. The man asked for an OPINION and in *MY* OPINION, the speed advantage meets that criteria, and that was (and is) my only comparison.

The Ruger might go the same way, but only time will tell, but given the interest generated over on the african forum by gents like John Barnsness, I think the Ruger might just make it.

I think I was fairly clear on my disdain for both Remington rifles and the RUMS in general so why would I want to trash a perfectly good Model 70 in 375 H&H and turn it into an RUM, especially when the 378 is around?

As to what people think about my opinions, or yours for that matter sort of goes against the whole premise of a forum don't you think? jorge

One more thing, don't care what the debate over on AR determines. In test after test and all things being equal, the 460 Weatherby outpenetrates all other comparable 45 calibers when all use the same bullet and that pill leaves the muzzle at 2600 fps which incidentally is about 250 fps faster than it's closest competitor, thus "vastly" is quite apropos.

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 01:25 PM

Actually, the question was:

Quote:

I'd like to know how the two would rounds stack up in direct comparison.
Not if they are popular or avail at walmart. I am not looking for a steyr vs ruger argument but curious about the rounds themselves.

Quote:

I answered thusly: "Well the 375 Ruger so far on paper, bests it by 300 fps? ( I was off by about 40 fps, hence, the question mark). What part of that is hard to register?

Go back and READ your first post......it's mainly a rant about how the steyr cartridge is dead and "weird" everywhere except Europe......and how it doesn't stack up against the H&H......while that all may be true, that's not what he asked......you gave a hint of the answer wrapped in your personal bias.....

Quote:

To me, a 250 fps difference is substantial, especially in the bigger bores. The man asked for an OPINION and in *MY* OPINION, the speed advantage meets that criteria, and that was (and is) my only comparison.

Actually, he didn't ask for an opinion, he asked for facts...... however, as is your habit, you interjected your "Vastly Superior" opinion into a discussion of facts......

Quote:

I think I was fairly clear on my disdain for both Remington rifles and the RUMS in general so why would I want to trash a perfectly good Model 70 in 375 H&H and turn it into an RUM, especially when the 378 is around?

Because, according to you, a cartridge with higher velocity is "Vastly Superior".......if that's your theory, wouldn't it make sense to go with the faster round???

Quote:

As to what people think about my opinions, or yours for that matter sort of goes against the whole premise of a forum don't you think?

Possibly, but his question wasn't "what is your opinion of the Steyr verses the Ruger?"......it was a question of facts.......had you stated in your first post that the Ruger is 260 fps faster from a 23" barrel at H&H pressures ......then you would have answered his question.....but, once again, we get the gospel according to jorge about what is good and what is junk......typical jorge snobery!

If you want a lesson in answering a post without injecting your personal bias and snobery, go back and read Murphy's first post......that's the way to answer a question!

I'd rather hunt with a guy who's only rifle is a Savage 110 in 30-06, than with a guy who is carrying a $10K D'Arcy Echols rifle and is concerned that I know how much better it is!

Good Day

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 01:51 PM

How could I possibly be wrapped in snobbery when I preferred the more plebean Ruger to the Steyr?

OK a 250 fps in a big-medium bore is substantial. That's a fact and not an opinion.

And please tell me where I said the Steyr is "junk?". They used to have a pretty good reputation from what I remember. Yes I do prefer faster rounds, hence the 378 Weatherby.

If what I said about the Steyr are true facts by your own admission, why is it a rant?. As to the Echols rifles, I wouldn't know. Great as they are, I couldn't even begin to afford one. And I believe I lauded Murphy on his post. Somehow I suspect you have other issues with me, but like you said on one of your previous posts, opinions even the superior ones here really don't matter do they? jorge
Posted by: 340boy

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 02:09 PM

For whatever it is worth,
I recently had some questions about the 257Wby that I posed to JorgeI and he was anything but "snobbish".
He does have some opinions regarding the types of rifles he prefers, but who amongst us does not?
I for one am glad that we have people like Jorge that will share their experience(i.e. African experience) with folks like me who by comparison, are newcomers to this sport.

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 02:43 PM

If there is one thing I dislike more than arrogance and snobery......it's the "cheering section" that rushes in to "defend the honor" of a "regular" who has been criticized!

It's one thing to have an opinion about rifles.....it's another thing to be a rifle snob.......we have a few rifle snobs on this board....they are most common in the big bore and african hunting forums but pop up elsewhere from time to time......maybe I misjudged jorge, but many of his posts have led me to place him in the rifle snob group.

One thing I will say for jorge......I may consider him to be arrogant.....but I have no doubt that he IS man enough to make it through a thread like this without the help of a cheering section!!
Posted by: 340boy

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 02:50 PM

Jorge was helpful to me about a question and not at all snobbish.
If you had helped me out in a similar manner, I would have said the same for you, if that makes me a "cheerleader" than so be it.

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 03:28 PM

Considering the number of posts I have, I'm FAR from a "regular" especially since I commit heresy on a regular basis here by eschewing 700s and TC Encores. BUt I DO appreciate folks who have kind things to say. Doesn't everybody?

Now ask me about being a tailhook Naval Aviator and THEN we are talking real snobbery. OTher than my buddy "Pugs" who posts here, well, it's hard to be humble. jorge

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 03:51 PM

FLY BOY!
Semper Fi.

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 04:44 PM

recoil calculator
Posted by: Crow hunter

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 05:54 PM

Quote:

Now ask me about being a tailhook Naval Aviator and THEN we are talking real snobbery. OTher than my buddy "Pugs" who posts here, well, it's hard to be humble. jorge

Come on now, there's a few other of us around here too.

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 06:58 PM

Great to hear there are more. Platform? I flew Vikings. jorge
Posted by: himmelrr

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 07:27 PM

Another one here. Currently doing the C-9 thing but I was VAW for 10 years...

RH
Posted by: 8mmwapiti

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 07:43 PM

Play nice now boys.

Don't make me come over there. (as if I know where there is)

Although it has entertainment value!

8mmwapiti

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 07:43 PM

Thanks for the interest.

I have a model 97 Dakota with a 22" barrel in the 376 Steyr. It is almost exactly 90 fps slower than the 375H&H with a 22" bbl. The M97 has a very smooth and precise barrel (Lothar Walthar) and is fast!

I don't think I mentioned my 338-06 but that also is a M97 with 23" tube. Wonderful rilfe. I also have a 338-06 AI in a Sako/Shilen custom with 24" bbl.

The 338/376 (MRC custom Kreiger/Manson/MPI) is about 100 fps faster than the 338-06 AI and about that behind the 338 mag. (250 grains at 2600 fps) It is better than the -06 case with 250 grain bullets and it is really better, in my opinion, as a 338 than as a 375 (the Steyr case)

With 250 grain Partitions:
338-06...... 2500 fps 23"
338-06AI...2550 fps 24"
338/376 ....2624 fps (Chronographed last weekend) 22"
338/WSM....2650+fps 22"
338 WM......2740 fps 22.5"
338/9.3x64..2800 fps 24"
330 Dakota..2850 fps 24"
338 Lapua...2900 fps 26"
I have loaded ammo and fired all of these but they aren't all mine.
None of these were maximum loads in my rifles but all are at normal working pressure for the parent cartridge.

I am starting the load development for the 375 WSM for a gunsmith friend who made the rifle. He has made a whole series of rifles on the WSM case.

416 WSM 350 grains @ 2400+ fps
375 WSM (to be tested) expect 270 grains @ 2550 fps
358 WSM (to be tested)
338 WSM 225 grains @ 2700 +fps

This is what I do, I don't play golf.

Murphy
Posted by: Crow hunter

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/04/07 07:48 PM

Quote:

Great to hear there are more. Platform? I flew Vikings. jorge

Jarhead Hornets, now flying for the purple box carrier.

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/05/07 03:36 AM

Quote:

Murphy

me either, funny thing is my father lives in Boca Raton FL, Mt in laws in Pinehurst NC and my Sister on Carolina CC. i also have a brother in law who is a pro. i've never played a round and dont plan to till the let me bring a benneli and use orange balls.

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/05/07 06:23 AM

Wow, a Hornet guy and Jarhead at that! I'm still in, but ready to pull the plug at 30 in 2008, but my "hooker" days are over. I was enlisted USMC for a bit as well, so "Semper Fi." jorge

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/05/07 06:36 AM

Quote:

I was enlisted USMC for a bit as well, so "Semper Fi." jorge

what happened? they find out your parents were married and kick you out?
Posted by: 300stw

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/12/07 05:33 AM

one great thing about the 376 seyr it functions and feeds in a 98 mauser very well almost as nice as an h@h, and not box or magazine lengthening, i have built 6 rifles on the 376 steyr and have 2 8mm/376 steyr, 200 gr bullets at 2885 with h4350. have obtained 600 new cases i am set for a while. the 376 with 260 accubond does 2685 out of a 23 in barrel and it just doesnt kick like a 375 in same weight gun. I really doubt any animal at practical ranges would know which caliber killed it.

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/12/07 06:07 AM

what kind of cost do you say you have into a mauser based 376 when all is said and done?
Posted by: Carson

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/12/07 05:51 PM

Quote:

recoil on the two from the same weight rifle? anybody have a formula?
reason im asking if i really like steyrs AND really like rugers. cold hammer forged bbls ect. but now that the ruger is CRF im thinking of getting one when they hit the stores and trimming it back to 22" or so. if its gonna be so similar to the 376 i wont bother. that looks the way its stacking up. energy wise, powder consumption wise, ect.

I have a 20" barrel 376 Steyr and a 20" .375 H&H. The 376 Steyr is loaded with 62.5 grains Varget for 2465 fps with Swift A-Frame 300 grain soft point. The .375 H&H uses 66.5 grains of RL-15 for 2387 fps with Sierra 300 grain Game King Soft Point, 70.0 grains gives 2589 fps but was too hot in my rifle. The recoil formula I use assumes velocity of the powder to be 4700 fps. With two 8.75 pound rifles the recoil velocity and recoil energies are 16.8 ft/sec and 38.7 ft-lbs for the .376 Steyr and a range from 16.8 ft/sec and 38.4 ft-lbs up to 18.1 ft/sec and 44.3 ft-lbs for the .375 H&H. Playing around with slower powders in the .375 H&H might up the velocity a little bit, but consume more powder too. Hornady Heavy Magnums give 2652 fps using the 300 grain RN-FMJs, so there is a little room to work up a 20 inch barrel load in the .375 H&H. One factory load gives me only 2362 fps in my 25 inch barrel CZ 550. I expect a similar length 20 inch barrel on the 375 Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan to fall in this range of performance. The extra 4 grains of powder capacity mentioned earlier might boost things a little but the difference could be used up by a "slow" barrel. I've never tried a Ruger big bore for velocity but someone here could probably comment on their general performance. I like my 376 Steyr Prohunter for the efficiency of the cartridge, the short action, the roller safety and the high capacity magazine option it has available. The 375 Ruger Hawkeye may very well have its own charms, which may be as important as the caliber. I like the beltless .375 bore rifle idea and the Ruger should have lots to offer. I don't like the Hornady dies and will wait for RCBS or some other flavor to hit the market but that's just me.
Posted by: 300stw

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/12/07 06:17 PM

about 600.00 in parts and pieces fiberglass stock and i do the work myself, i forgot it holds 4 down also no drop box plus 1 in the pipe quite a bit of firepower in a gun that weighs 7lbs 12oz with scope and sling

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/13/07 05:41 AM

i'v considered a long BBl version.
Posted by: Mule Deer

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/16/07 03:35 PM

I pikced up the Hornady catalog and had a long talk with them (and Ruger) at the SHOT Show. "Official" ballistics with a 24" barrel are 2700 with the 300-grain bullet, 2800 with the 270.

The 2660 is approximately what you'll get with the 300's in the 23" barrel of the African model.

Apparently in the 20" barrel of the Alaskan model still gets just about exactly what the .375 H&H factory loads get in a 24-inch barrel, a little over 2500 with 300's and close to 2700 with 270's.

Whether or not we will be able to see any difference in the field between all of these numbers and the .376, various 9.3's and the .375 H&H is not really the question, or answer. The big deal is that Ruger has finally made a .375 that doesn't weigh the 9-10 pounds that most do, a weight that is tiring to carry and more than needed in a .375. It is the rifle that is cool, but the cartridge made it possible.

John Barsness
Posted by: enigma

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/18/07 08:56 AM

I don't know the .375 Ruger, but I have a .376 Steyr Pro Hunter and I have to say that I really love it. With my handloads it is easy to equal the .375 H&H data, especially with lighter bullets. My preferred bullet is the 250 grs. Swift A-Frame, loaded with 69 grs. of IMR 4895 it chronoed 2845 fps. And that's really not bad.... Don't forget that this is out of a 20" barrel. I could not be happier. Does a H&H gets the same performance out of a short barrel? I don't think so.... To come to the point.... the .376 Steyr is a fantastic cartridge and I took everything with it, from buff to roe deer.... it's only shortcoming is the miserable marketing by Steyr.
Posted by: davidsapp

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/18/07 02:56 PM

I have a friend with a small gunshop in TN with a new in box 376 Steyr and around 3 boxes of ammo. He was wanting around $750 for the rifle when I looked over his wares about 2 months ago. If anyone is interested PM me and I can get his number to you within a day or so.
Edited to add - I have no idea if this is a good price, only that he has one for sale.
Posted by: Swampman1

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/19/07 03:19 AM

"I confess that I now rather fancy a 376 Mannlicher (Steyr)cartridge because of the way it affords the proven killing power of the 375 in a weapon of scout configuration. This piece, which is now properly designated the "376 Mannlicher," is a particularly fine answer to a somewhat limited question for a shooter who confines himself to moose and the big bears of Alaska and the heavier of the bushveldt animals. The 376 Mannlicher, which I like to call the Dragoon, is a nice item, but that does not mean that it wipes out the winner and still king - the 30-06."

Col. Jeff Cooper
Posted by: rigby416

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/19/07 05:02 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the interest.

I have a model 97 Dakota with a 22" barrel in the 376 Steyr. It is almost exactly 90 fps slower than the 375H&H with a 22" bbl. The M97 has a very smooth and precise barrel (Lothar Walthar) and is fast!

I don't think I mentioned my 338-06 but that also is a M97 with 23" tube. Wonderful rilfe. I also have a 338-06 AI in a Sako/Shilen custom with 24" bbl.

The 338/376 (MRC custom Kreiger/Manson/MPI) is about 100 fps faster than the 338-06 AI and about that behind the 338 mag. (250 grains at 2600 fps) It is better than the -06 case with 250 grain bullets and it is really better, in my opinion, as a 338 than as a 375 (the Steyr case)

With 250 grain Partitions:
338-06...... 2500 fps 23"
338-06AI...2550 fps 24"
338/376 ....2624 fps (Chronographed last weekend) 22"
338/WSM....2650+fps 22"
338 WM......2740 fps 22.5"
338/9.3x64..2800 fps 24"
330 Dakota..2850 fps 24"
338 Lapua...2900 fps 26"
I have loaded ammo and fired all of these but they aren't all mine.
None of these were maximum loads in my rifles but all are at normal working pressure for the parent cartridge.

I am starting the load development for the 375 WSM for a gunsmith friend who made the rifle. He has made a whole series of rifles on the WSM case.

416 WSM 350 grains @ 2400+ fps
375 WSM (to be tested) expect 270 grains @ 2550 fps
358 WSM (to be tested)
338 WSM 225 grains @ 2700 +fps

Murphy

You sir, are amazing! A doctor over on the AR Forums is creating a whole new bullet diameter, a .395. GSC in RSA has created a line of hunter, solid and target bullets. It actually sounds interesting.
Posted by: txpete

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/21/07 05:33 AM

kind of new here but man all this bashing ect and cat fighting over anything steyr...well grow up.
Posted by: mcshunatona

Re: 376 Steyr vs 375 Ruger - 01/21/07 09:47 AM

Quote:

kind of new here but man all this bashing ect and cat fighting over anything steyr...well grow up.

I do not believe there was any bashing gonig on although you are quite correct on the cat-fighting.
Personally I am not enthralled by the Steyr although one of my friends is having a new pro hunter coming some time this year in that caliber. I will own one of the new Ruger's if for no other reason than was stated earlier in regard to the carrying weight of the rifle.