Home
Have a couple choices for back country hiking rifle in Montana/Wyoming next spring. Definitely black bear areas with a chance of brown bear being around.
458 with 450 TSX at 2350fps, in an over 10 pound rifle.
or
375 Ruger with 270 TSX at 2850, about 9 pound rifle.
The 375 has lots of use and some scratches, so I am leaning towards that but the 458 is definitely a thumper. Any thoughts?
Go lighter and make your walking more enjoyable, this coming from a guy who used to pack a 9lb .375 everywhere. I walk around alot in bear country. My favorite defense rifles are two bolt actions and one lever action. The bolts are both Model 70 classic stainless models with Talley QDs, a .416 Taylor that weighs 7.5 lbs and a 9.3x62 that weighs 7.25lbs. For walking around they wear the peep sight. My levergun option is a 6 lb .444 Marlin.
I would prefer the 9# over the 10#.
Cartridge wise, in my opinion, the 458 definitely strikes a heavier blow. But, I frequently moose hunt with a 20" 375 Ruger and a 270 grain TSX and/or LRX. At times, I will use an 8#, 20" 375 Ruger when hiking.

My personal "near ideal" off the shelf, bolt action hiking rifle would be the older 20" Ruger Alaskan in 416 Ruger with a 325-350 grain. This is also an 8#'ish rifle.

I also like a couple of 20" Marlin 45-70's. I have recently considered 16-1/4 to 18" versions.
You're fine with a 270 or 30-06. Used to guide in the Bob Marshall
Colorado, what’s your experience stopping charging brown bears?
Stopped two at less than 20 feet. Of course that was in my early 20s and they were only mountain grizzlies (around 400 lbs). A 150g Partition just above the nose between the eyes did the trick. I had the master guide backing me up with a a Model 12 loaded with 00 buckshot. He didn't want to use the shotgun, cause it would ruin the pelt. Of course now that I'm much older and been on too many forums, my 375 Weatherby seems a little small for the job now smile Probably bring my 500 Jeffery if I have a chance go to Kodiak to look for a 10 footer

PA and I have discussed topics similar to this a fair bit over the years. W/O getting into everything, I can vouch for his credentials. He definitely has the background and experience when it comes to the topic.

I spend a lot of time in large bear territory. That said, I very rarely choose to carry a long gun, as I find them to be cumbersome and frankly they get heavy quickly if you are covering the miles. If there is a definite problem bear in the area then that is another story, but common sense goes a long way. You take certain precautions, such as avoiding areas with thick brush, and places where the noise such as running water from a creek/stream can mask the sound of a large animal. Going off trail and going around those areas is simply easier than putting yourself into situations you don't need to.

I was reminded of this just this week on another forum as someone linked a short article that was written by a guy who has lived in the same general geographical area and takes the same basic approaches to such things.

As far as long guns, going with shorter barrels and something that you can handle with a level of unconscious competence is (in my opinion) more important than the particular cartridge, to a degree. A rifle that you can operate without even thinking about and is absolutely dead nuts reliable is far more important than getting the next biggest thing out there.
Bullets matter far more then cartridges, and another vital thing to prioritize is the reliability of the gun.

Having killed game from 70 pounds to 6 tons in several states and in 5 countries I can tell anyone who's interested that a good reliable and deep penetrating bullet is probably the most important factor in defending one's self against big game that's too close.

I live on the edge of grizzly country and I go into it all the time. Speaking only for myself, I feel 100% confident with several of my rifles in calibers from 308s, 30-06s, 300 H&H, 8X57, 358 Win, 9.3X57s 9.3X62, 375H&H and 404 Jeffery.

Speaking also from experience I can assure you that some cartridges that have more power don't use that power well on game under 700 pounds. That's why when I killed deer with my 416s my 458 Winchesters and my 375H&H, if I used very tough RN or FMJ bullets none of those deer fell as fast as the ones I killed with 25-06 or 270 Winchester. Why? Because it's like shooting a cardboard box with those big guns and the wrong bullets. They just make a bullet size hole and keep going. All died yes, but it was more like killing them with a good broadhead from a bow then it was a good killing rifle.
(Note: most bullets in the 375 are fine. Only the FMJs were unimpressive)

Bears can be tough for sure and they can be dangerous when wounded. That's not news to anyone. But you need a bullet that holds together and yet expands well, and one that will go fairly straight in the game after it hits the skin.

When I am out among the grizzlies the rifle I carry about 50% of the time is an M1 Garand loaded with 220 grain RN bullets. (the other 50% I carry one of abut 9 others) I use 3031 powder so the port pressure is correct for the old M1 rifle and it's been 100% reliable and I can hit a nickel with it at 50 yards, yet I can also hit running rabbits with it probably 6 times out of 8 shots. The 30-06 with a 220 grain RN bullet was (probably still is) a "standard" in Alaska for big bears and the M1 allows me to fire both fast AND accurately. It's not a rifle that most sportsman think of right off when talking about guns and cartridges for defense against anything of 2000 pounds or less, yet my experience with the round proves to me its very capable, and the M1 is a very easy rifle to shoot fast and shoot well, BOTH AT THE SAME TIME!

I own several classic rifles that are fine for DG from my 9.3s and my 375H&H and also a classic 404 Jeffery. I have owned four different 416s, 6 different 45-70s and also 5 different 458 as well as a 460 and because I was not using them much I sold them all, keeping my 375 and my 404 to more then cover the bases there.

But for bears I find I grab my M1 most times. One other that gets some recent use and carry is my AR10 style in 358 Winchester.

But in summery, I feel the bullet and then the gun itself as far more important then the cartridge. I am 100% serious when I say if I had to choose between my 270 with 160 gr Nosler Partitions or a 300 magnum with any 150 to 220 grain bullets that broke up badly, I'd take the 270 every single time without the slightest hesitation. Having killed about 100 horses and cattle on our old ranch with my 270s I know exactly what the bullet will do and I need not guess about it any more.

Such a bullet design in a more powerful rifle is going to be better still, so I am not some small-bore trickster. I have big guns and tent to love them.

I am just saying most folks miss the highly important things and focus on the less important things in such decisions.
Thanks Mackay. I did some walking around and fishing yesterday.........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The 6lb .444 is shown with my bear alert companion. At one o'clock from the rifle you can see what looks like cement on the ground. That's fish laden brown bear crap.

I'm very glad things worked out for you Colorado. If you end up hitting them just right in the head with a good bullet things can work out, but that's a big risk. I find stout bullets of greater diameter with sufficient penetration provide alot more leeway for the less than ideal angles you get presented with. And don't discount a bear based on small size. Browns/grizzlies are dangerous regardless of size, and most people killed and eaten by black bears are done in by animals less than 300 pounds in weight.

I know one guy who shot a brown bear in the face with a .308 at 15 yards, hitting it just left of center above the eye. It recoiled as if it had been punched and then ambled off. It died after a few more bullets to the lungs. That bear wasn't being aggressive but was authorized to be killed after becoming totally habituated to humans. If it had been bent on hurting him things would've been much more interesting.
Originally Posted by colorado
Stopped two at less than 20 feet. Of course that was in my early 20s and they were only mountain grizzlies (around 400 lbs). A 150g Partition just above the nose between the eyes did the trick. I had the master guide backing me up with a a Model 12 loaded with 00 buckshot. He didn't want to use the shotgun, cause it would ruin the pelt. Of course now that I'm much older and been on too many forums, my 375 Weatherby seems a little small for the job now smile Probably bring my 500 Jeffery if I have a chance go to Kodiak to look for a 10 footer

Yeah, seems I have read, that someone on a guided hunt used a 375 Wby with 375 H&H 300 A-Frames. I believe they stated words to the effect that it did not feel too large at the time.
I'm pretty sure that brown bears haven't made it down to Montana yet. They're pretty married to the coast.
I live in Kodiak and we actually do have brown bears here. I can't imagine being so worried about bears that i would pack my 458 around . All the DLP bears i have killed have been with 12 ga or 308 Winchester.
Mostly i just carry a handgun unless I'm looking for trouble.
Great pictures PA.

Having that dog there to watch your back and raise the alarm sounds like a very good plan. That rifle turned out great.
For a backcountry hiking rifle I would want short and light, my current choice would be my Rossi stainless trapper in 44 mag stoked with 320 gr WFN hardcast at 1300fps.
Ghost ring peep, fast , hard hitting, light and handy. In fact it's also my yard gun, never know when grizz will show up raiding my garbage.... smile
That was me lol. I am no longer 20 and immortal smile

[img]https://i.imgur.com/c5FiRIO.jpg?1[/img]
That was me lol. I am no longer 20 and immortal smile

https://i.imgur.com/c5FiRIO.jpg
Walk with what you want but speed and hitting your target is where it’s at for me. I walk every week in BB and Griz country and I am perfectly fine with a Glock 23, 19, or 47. Carry 686 7 shot as well and 629s. (250s at 950-1100) When I lived in AK remote I was attacked by a black bear and had what I consider One of THE worst gun I probably could have had, a super Blackhawk at full tilt with 320s. I missed at point black range, mostly because I couldn’t draw fast enough.
A super Blackhawk bobbed to 4 5/8” and properly holstered is a whole other gun.
Drawing and presentation of the gun is indeed very important.
Your other choices are good as well!
F01
Guy I fished with in Alaska had a 458 Win Mag leaned up in the corner. Most of the people we saw walking around on shore had a pump 12 or a Marlin Lever big bore. I didn't see anybody but me with no gun on Chicagof Island except in town.
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Great pictures PA.

I just noticed that Bucktail is "wrong handed". My condolences grin
A revolver (44 Mag) or pistol (10mm or 45 Super) on you is a lot better than a rifle or shotgun leaning on a tree while you're in the stream fishing. I've been there smile
You guys, figuring out my secrets! I'm only wrong handed for some things, not others. When I was a kid I wanted to be left handed but was right eye dominate so dad made me switch to right for shooting. I still managed to bat and cast left handed. The other thing is that while the .444 was busy leaning around there was a suitably loaded G29 on my chest.

One time years ago, as I stood in knee deep water coho fishing I got this hinky feeling I was being watched. When I turned around there was a medium sized brown bear intently watching me 15 or so yards away. My bag and .375 were in-between us. I dropped the rod into the stream, drew the 5.5" Redhawk .45 Colt I was carrying at the time, and yelled him away. Thankfully that bear was just a creeper and not aggressive.

I've had various experiences like that over the years, and dealt with some stuff, which is why I carry more crap than the average person: a rifle and a pistol along with suitable first aid items.
I think this is a brown bear ... Upper Togiak Lake Alaska

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I carry one of my big bore Lever Actions and my .44 Special but of the two you listed I'd go with the .458. Not that I don't think the .375 is not enough but the .458 is just more.
How about a Browning BAR in .458 Win?
Or my 500 Jeffery. Won't have to shoot it, it'll just scare them away lol

I wouldn't hesitate to carry a Savage 99F lightweight 358 loaded with 180 Brnes ttsx and a heavy load of TAC. It drops everything I shoot with it so far and penetration is good.
Mostly carry a customized Marlin 45-70 with 400 grain Kodiak bullets for my "hiking" bear protection. I also like a Rem. 870 with Breneeke Black Magic slugs, a 220 grain Nosler Partition in my old Mod. 70 Featherweight 30-06 and a Barnes 225 grain TTSX in my .338 Win.

Also have a 10mm 1911 and a S&W .44 mag. and heat treated heavy hard cast loads. I really don't want to ever rely on any hand gun for stopping a bear charge. Black or brown or big or small.
Still rely on a pre-war Model 71 in either 450 Alaskan or the other .450 pre-War M-71. Heavy revolvers in 45 Colt with UDAP bear spray are better than most, but bear spray may not work-but may be better than orphaning grizzly cubs.
That said, last large moose was taken with a 348 Ackley with 270 gr bullets. A rifle is just better when things get dicey. Powerful,durable and accurate. Lever action rifles are a bit faster
and repeat reliably in older rifles. An old time Alaskan named Jay Williams relied for decades on an 1886 Winchester in 33 WCF caliber. It worked for all the bears he shot. Others used the same rifle in 45-70, 45-90 or 50 EX/ 50-110 WCF.
Pick your cards, you will be living with the choice.
These days when I'm in grizzly country I bring my Springfield V16 in 45 Super even if I'm carrying a rifle. It's lighter and less bulky than a revolver and I shoot it well.

Good to know it's been proven to work.

https://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2017/11/wy-45-super-stops-grizzly-bear-charge.html
I carry my 45-70 Mauser safari style rifle for larger north America stuff, the 400 grain flat nose is stout medicine. A lot lighter than my 458 Lott.

+1 on the 250 plus gran flat nose 45 Super, with 8 rounds in a 1911, it is handy, for a backup or camp carry gun.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Nice rifle!
It's been a couple weeks since any activity on this thread, so I'll jump in here. Anything worthwhile on bears intrigues me as they've become my favorite species to hunt, and so I walk around in bear country a lot! Not in Alaska, but Ontario, Canada, where only blacks are found. But they've proven themselves to be very crafty and dangerous for the unwary. I'm a handloader, and for hunting them I have "mediums" and a big bore. For walking about I used to carry a Marlin in .45-70 (one of several), but with time found them a bit heavy with that thick barrel. Now I carry a single-shot Traditions Outfitter G3 in .35 Whelen. With a 3 - 9 x 40 scope and one in the chamber it comes in at 7.75 lbs and is 39" in OL. With 3 in a buttstock cartridge holder + 1 in the chamber = 8 lbs. The load is 2 distinct. For close range (inside 50 yds) a 300gr Barnes O. at 2355 fps, and longer (or shorter) range the 225gr Nosler AB at 2840 fps. It's a neat rifle, fast handling and accurate. In a potential dangerous situation (close quarters) I'll be lucky to get off a single shot only - so it must count.

Yeah, I have others I tote from time to time - over bait and more open country: a 9.3 x 62 (very light), a .375 H&H and a .458 Win.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca
Originally Posted by CZ550
It's been a couple weeks since any activity on this thread, so I'll jump in here. Anything worthwhile on bears intrigues me as they've become my favorite species to hunt, and so I walk around in bear country a lot! Not in Alaska, but Ontario, Canada, where only blacks are found. But they've proven themselves to be very crafty and dangerous for the unwary. I'm a handloader, and for hunting them I have "mediums" and a big bore. For walking about I used to carry a Marlin in .45-70 (one of several), but with time found them a bit heavy with that thick barrel. Now I carry a single-shot Traditions Outfitter G3 in .35 Whelen. With a 3 - 9 x 40 scope and one in the chamber it comes in at 7.75 lbs and is 39" in OL. With 3 in a buttstock cartridge holder + 1 in the chamber = 8 lbs. The load is 2 distinct. For close range (inside 50 yds) a 300gr Barnes O. at 2355 fps, and longer (or shorter) range the 225gr Nosler AB at 2840 fps. It's a neat rifle, fast handling and accurate. In a potential dangerous situation (close quarters) I'll be lucky to get off a single shot only - so it must count.

Yeah, I have others I tote from time to time - over bait and more open country: a 9.3 x 62 (very light), a .375 H&H and a .458 Win.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

I have a few different rifles that I carry from time to time when out and about with no specific purpose.
I have a couple of Marlin 1895 45-70's with barrels cut to 20". One is pre-stainless blue/walnut that was cut to fit in the dimensions of a 4-wheeler width, and for hiking about. I liked the handling dimensions and did the same to a XLR stainless when it was available. The blue/walnut is still a favorite walk-about rifle. Both have peep type sights. I have not hand loaded for these yet. I have normally used the higher psi hard cast factory loads from 420-460 grain. I currently have a few boxes of the Buffalo Bore 380 copper flat points to give a try.

I also like carrying the un-scoped 20" 375 & 416 Ruger Alaskans. These are nearly as handy as the lever guns.
I have been tempted to set up similar in a 458 Winchester.

I have in the past, when I thought the likelihood of bumping into a grizzly type was near-zero, I have carried lightweight revolver cartridge lever guns in 45 Colt. Loaded with heavier hard cast and copper flat points. I now have a stainless Rossi r92 454 Casull that will probably be the top dog in this use.

Another potential lever gun type is a somewhat recently acquired BLR 81 in 358 Winchester.

For my highest personal confidence level, I like the 20" Ruger Alaskans. They seem nearly, as handy as the Marlin 1895s. For the minimalist times, the little 454 lever gun might see some use, maybe.
Mossy 88 with an 18" barrel with 3" magnum High Shock Slugs and 00 Buckshot.

Lots of lead flying with 00 Buckshot and no bear is walking through that "Hell Fire"

That is what I use, in fact, if I am in bear country, I do not leave home without it.

F Pepper Spray!

Originally Posted by KillerBee
Mossy 88 with an 18" barrel with 3" magnum High Shock Slugs and 00 Buckshot.

Lots of lead flying with 00 Buckshot and no bear is walking through that "Hell Fire"

That is what I use, in fact, if I am in bear country, I do not leave home without it.

F Pepper Spray!

with the CORRECT slugs a shotgun could be ok. With buckshot and our bears it would be better than nothing. Maybe if I had 000 nickel plated.... regular buck deforms so bad. And we have used lots of buck on deer and pigs....

Rifle... BIG rifle. From my standpoint of guiding not hunting. If not I carry a decent semi handgun. But you have to be good and lucky and the right bullet. Of course the right bullet and a good shot stopped a black bear in camp with my 9 this fall...
Yeah, I have a shorty 12ga (18.5") with 3" chamber, and pump for DGS slugs that leave at 1550 fps (chronographed) and hit where the ghostring - peep + front glo-sight says. I need to tote it more. It has both a bark and a bite. Neat handling at 7 lbs. Mostly reserved for follow-up of something very black in dark surroundings that's hurting and resentful.

Edit to add: I've owned four 1895 Marlins in .45-70 - three in the Classic 22" and one GG (18.5") with the horrid ports. Got rid of it within a year. Replaced by another Classic with the intent of having my smith cut 2" making it a 20" (I still think that's the best length for that rifle). But my smith objected, and put it off for months. I retrieved it, kept it for awhile, then sold it having a Ruger No.1 in .45-70 LT (my smith gave it a Long Throat) that thought it was a .458 Win. T'was my favorite rifle for two decades.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca
What is big enough, fast enough, deadly enough, etc., to stop an attack by a pissed off bear? Several options may work and then again when applied to a different day and different bear maybe not. I would prefer the fastest action and portability combined with some power, for me it would be a trapper length 16” barreled Winchester 92 in 44 Rem Magnum with full length magazine. 10 rounds of 300 grain Barnes Busters at 1,450 fps. May work, may not, just like the other choices.
Working in the beartooth plateau and the Absorka range for years, someone I survived. Had some encounters with g bears but I wasn’t killed dead. Noe I play there and still aren’t dead. Summer time I expect trouble from tourons more than bears
I’m thinking a Marlin in 45-70 would be my rifle of choice. There’s lots of options that should work well though.
I think you’re asking what would you carry for protection, right?

If I were hunting for a trophy and the range would be greater than what a 45-70 would be appropriate for, I’d probably carry my 300 Weatherby with 200 grain partitions. Again many good choices.
Doesn’t Phil Shoemaker’s son carry an AR in .50 Beowulf around? No experience, but that or a 12ga stuffed with Brennekes seems adequate, backed by a 10mm to always have something on one’s person.
Originally Posted by Rossimp
What is big enough, fast enough, deadly enough, etc., to stop an attack by a pissed off bear? Several options may work and then again when applied to a different day and different bear maybe not. I would prefer the fastest action and portability combined with some power, for me it would be a trapper length 16” barreled Winchester 92 in 44 Rem Magnum with full length magazine. 10 rounds of 300 grain Barnes Busters at 1,450 fps. May work, may not, just like the other choices.

More importantly which gun are you capable with of shooting a charging bear between the eyes in less than 2 seconds? Rather a 30-30 or a 270 Win with a well placed shot than a 505 Gibbs or a 454 Casull that misses.
And why does a 505 Gibbs or 454 Casull have to miss while a 30-30 or 270 doesn't?

Bob
www.bigbores.ca
Originally Posted by Rossimp

More importantly which gun are you capable with of shooting a charging bear between the eyes in less than 2 seconds? Rather a 30-30 or a 270 Win with a well placed shot than a 505 Gibbs or a 454 Casull that misses.

We’re talking about one shot, it doesn’t matter for the first shot….if the shooter is at all capable! It’s recovery time from the first shot to the second shot…..that determines the riflemen from the wannabees! memtb
And why does a 505 Gibbs or 454 Casull have to miss while a 30-30 or 270 doesn't?

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

It doesn't I have a 500 Jeffery which I shoot well, the point is shot placement is most important.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

It doesn't I have a 500 Jeffery which I shoot well, the point is shot placement is most important.

I agree with the sentiment as I understand the intention, but disagree if the field is open as to cartridge. I recently addressed that in my blog. In better times, age wise, I could shoot my .340 Wby from offhand on a bull moose at 165 yds as well as a .223 Rem at the same range (but with far less confidence in shooting a bull moose with a .223 Rem or some larger cartridges than it, but less than a .340 Wby because I wanted it dead right there! I believe in true big bores that don't need the finesse shooting of small bores on big game if taking the shot that's given though the distance and angle may be less than perfect. In other words, I might take a calculated shot on large and potentially dangerous game using a large bore magnum that I'd turn down if using a .30-06, etc. In the case of a bear charge from less than 30 yds, at 30 mph there's no time for a second shot anyway (at 30 mph a bear at 30 yds will cover that in less than 2 sec. , so I want nothing short of a "stopping" rifle or 12ga slug (Brenneke type) pump gun, which is faster than a bolt-action repeater. So make it a big-bore for me - as you'r gonna get off one shot anyway from a rifle, so make that one count! Handguns, of course, is a different matter.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca
A question for those who walk about in bear country: What would be your fastest time for a followup shot in a bear charge? No guessing or exaggeration please, just factual based on the rifle you'd be walkin about with. Aimed shots under pressure.

With my handicap of one eye, a pump 12ga would be fastest in 3 sec for a second aimed shot. Next my Tikka T3 in 9.3 x 62. It's a right-handed bolt that I shoot from my left side - about 4 sec for a rushed follow up that's aimed. So if my first shot missed or didn't stop the bear it might run over me, separating me from the rifle, in which case a bolt-action repeater would be no better than a single-shot (from which it takes me about 5 secs for an aimed followup.)

How about you? And no wimpy .223 calibers. . . A worthwhile, walkabout bear rifle. In days past I toted a lot of Marlins in .45-70. They were faster than bolt guns, but there's the matter of recovering from the recoil factor to be considered.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca
If I was just hiking and not hunting, I'd carry a Mossberg 590 7 shot.

https://www.mossberg.com/590-7-shot-50778.html

IMO, Mossberg 590 hits all the points: the safety is in the right place, it has dual extractors, it's loose enough to cycle about anything, and it carries a decent ammo supply.

I'd paint the stock and forend with Blaze-Orange Krylon so I could see it easily if I dropped it or set it down.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Krylon-K...6oiHik-9HkaAhQiEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'd put a Hi-Viz front sight on it.

https://www.hivizsights.com/product/mpb/

And I'd load it with Brenneke Black Magic slugs.

https://www.brennekeusa.com/hunting-ammunition/black-magicr-magnum/

And in the tail end of the mag, I'd load a couple Winchester Double X 3" high velocity copper plated 00 shells. At 1,450 fps, they are about the hardest hitting factory buckshot loads out there.

https://www.winchester.com/Products/Ammunition/Shotshell/Double-X/SB12300

And then I'd shoot the shyt out of it until it was second nature.

And I'd carry a Glock 20 with XS DXT2 express sights and loaded with Buffalo Bore hardcasts in a chest holster, for backup.
I've a similar type tactical/security Stevens/Savage M320: Has ghost ring rear sight and hooded fibre otic front sight. 39" OL. Holds 5, weight light = 7 lbs. Use is walking about in bear country and follow up of a wounded bear.
It's based on the old but good Winchester 1300. Was accurate right out of the box using the magnum Challenger 490gr slugs out of Quebec, employing the DGS out of Italy: 1550 fps from the 18.5", dead on at 50 yds first try without any sight corrections.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca
404 grain Shock Hammer in 458 Win mag would stop a grizz in his tracks
For a rifle I carry a Siamese Mauser in .45-70 with a stout load behind Hornady 350 grain round nose bullets, very accurate. I'm also carrying either a Ruger Blackhawk .45 colt with stout hard cast loads or a Springfield 1911 Ronin in 10mm with similar loads for it. I don't feel under gunned.
[quote=CZ550]A question for those who walk about in bear country: What would be your fastest time for a followup shot in a bear charge? No guessing or exaggeration please, just factual based on the rifle you'd be walkin about with. Aimed shots under pressure.]

Quick enough so far. I know on one of mine I had three .375s underway in less than four seconds at bad breath distance.
I figure it takes me 1 1/2 second to swing,point, aim and shoot. 2nd shot probably add a second to that. Proven that with a 270 Win, 375 H&H and 500 Jeffery. Only the 375 H&H was on a brown bear not charging, just surprised each other. Shot him at 13 yards.
Gents:

Reading all this with appreciation, thanks for posting your input.
No one answered my earlier question...how about a Browning BAR in .458? 4 shots as fast as you can recover and pull the trigger!
One word answer……..sweet! 👍 memtb
Agree love it!
I'll be the negative nancy here. I'd not trust the mechanism of the BAR for rough, remote conditions for a hunting or working rifle. I'd also not want the liability of bumping the release on that detachable mag. The reality of hard use rifles means they'll be exposed to harsh conditions with limited maintenance opportunities. For example, how would the BAR do on day three of a hunt involving constant exposure to wetness with some freeze-thaw cycles, and then also being expected to function with ammo that's had a nice grunge develop on the cases as well?

Another issue to consider with using such a rifle in thick stuff such as I deal with is when brush busting the charging handle can get shoved back enough to put the bolt out of battery but still look normal enough to not be noticed.
Originally Posted by pabucktail
I'll be the negative nancy here. I'd not trust the mechanism of the BAR for rough, remote conditions for a hunting or working rifle. I'd also not want the liability of bumping the release on that detachable mag. The reality of hard use rifles means they'll be exposed to harsh conditions with limited maintenance opportunities. For example, how would the BAR do on day three of a hunt involving constant exposure to wetness with some freeze-thaw cycles, and then also being expected to function with ammo that's had a nice grunge develop on the cases as well?

Another issue to consider with using such a rifle in thick stuff such as I deal with is when brush busting the charging handle can get shoved back enough to put the bolt out of battery but still look normal enough to not be noticed.

It’s difficult to argue “any” of those points……but, it’s purty to look at! Just not practical for inclement weather or rough terrain hunting conditions!

A nice “safe queen” to impress the neighbors! 😁 memtb
It certainly does have a cool factor not possessed by the same model in chamberings such as the 7 mag.
I believe they were somewhat widely used in WWII (not that I was alive then!)
Different mechanism.
I've written quite a few "bear stories" in my blogs that were personal experiences. But one that perhaps illustrates the theme of this thread very well happened about two decades ago: I was carrying a new 1895 Marlin (with very nice wood) with a compact scope on top, scouting Crown Land (public land) for bear sign. I was on a trail bordering a lake but with thick forest of each side of the trail. I was walking rather slowly, carrying the rifle in my right hand by my side, occasionally stopping and listening for any faint sounds. As I got deeper in the woods and farther from the main dirt road, I was more aware of running into a bear since I knew the area quite well. Then I barely heard some faint "cries" coming from near the tops of trees (conifers) about 15 yards from me and the trail. I recognized them as bear cubs.

I never heard or saw momma bear, but I knew she'd be on me within the next few seconds but didn't know from what direction! My firdt priority was self-protection (and a cartridge was already in the chamber, with the hammer cocked and safety off, rifle mounted to my shoulder as I quietly backed away from that immediate area until I felt secure enough to turn around and walk out the way I came in - still being cautious that the bear could follow.

My second priority was to not shoot a female mother bear, which would mean having a meeting with COs to explain matters. Otherwise a court appearance.

Being Crown Land, others used that trail for hiking and fishing, not many would recognize the source of those faint cries and be in serious trouble. I never go into thoses areas without a rifle and a legit game license. Carrying a loaded rifle in such areas without an in-season game license for something could mean serious trouble if confronted by a CO. We (in Ontario) can't carry a firearm on public property for self-protection only.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca
Thanks for sharing!
Both grizzlies and black bear may be prone to an aroused attack or predatory in the case of black bears. "Bear Attacks, their causes and avoidance"-By Dr. Steve Herrero covers the waterfront,
citing the USFS recommendations including the 338 WM and 458 WM. As recently as this summer, a 180 lb black bear attacked and killed a man working on his cabin near Prescott, AZ.

Personal preference is a pre-war Winchester Model 71 in 450 Alaskan. Preference is due to weight, reliability, speed of repeat shots, and effective 400 gr FP bullets used. Another, 2nd preference is a pre-war Deluxe Model 71 in 450 Fuller-for the same reasons as the first.
Own an earlier Marlin 95 in 45-70, WITHOUT, an additional tang or side safety that was not included in John Marlin's original design. (Avoid lever-action rifles with "extra" safeties). Most dangerous bears on the prod just may require a fast second shot; hence, a lever action rifle. Elmer Keith aptly stated that dangerous game becomes really dangerous when at close range.
Bolt action rifles like a pre-64 Model 70 in both 338-06 and 35 Whelen as I own will work, but I prefer the Model 71s or an original 1920s 1886 in 45-70.
In Alaska, Canada or the Inter-mountain West, bears may be just around the trail. Be prepared.

Even a single action Ruger BH stoked with warm 270-300 gr bullets -is nothing to sneeze at when facing down an irate bear. You just might pick it up and carry it on a belt to back-up that can of EPA-approved bear spray.
Stick it in a back pack if on Crown land or National Parks/ National Forest. Not as accessible, but it beats listening to the vegans croaking "he's got a gun!". But glad to have you save their lives in a bear emergency
like what happened in 1967 to two female campers (Park employees) dragged out of their sleeping bags in Glacier National Park.
I killed my one and only brown bear with a Rem XCR II in 375 H&H, but next time gonna bring the big bore. My CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery, just in case I run into something like this ... (from the last of the great brown bear men)

if a bear is going charge you i just don`t see a person has time to go get a rifle or shotgun from shore ,i also don`t see how a huge pistol can be handled as easy and if you have only 2 , 3, 4 seconds you better be able to draw and shoot accurately and if your knock down by a bear hopefully you can still have a handgun to shoot a time or two yet ? bears do die very slowly, so you would need a brain or spine shot to anchor that bear and be able to still live . i just got a new carry 357 Mag. revolver 4.2 inch barrel that`s lighter and smaller and a R.H. Left mnt.holster and i plan on practicing a lot drawing and shooting this smaller revolver ,i do plan on using 170 gr. hard lead bullets too. its a Ruger sp 101 nothing fancy but after reading many reviews on different brand revolvers and some brands do have problems Ruger seemed to be a solid brand to use , good quality for the price . good luck and stay safe ,Pete53 >p.s. yes i own plenty big cartridge rifles,shotguns and bigger handguns but they all suck to carry for defense against bears and people.
szihn: An M1 Garand with 8 round clip weighs 11.4 lbs. You are a better man than I if you can walk around in bear country with that load. Having marched in formation with an M1 on flat terrain in my much younger years my hat's off to you.
If I'm hunting I rarely carry a sidearm since my rifle's always with me. If I'm not and I'm in the backcountry, I carry my Springfield V16 in 45 Super
It’s interesting following this thread as I have lived at our remote Alaskan homestead situated in what AK F&G classifies as having the densest population of Brown bears in the state, if not the world.

From May through October bears are visible daily and we make a living guiding fishermen and bear hunters.
If you scroll down through the other threads you can see my choice of weapon when guiding bear hunters under
“old Ugly” but for most of the year myself, son and daughter feel perfectly safe carrying S&W M65 .357 revolvers
© 24hourcampfire