Home
For those who may have followed a prior thread on the development of a 404 (.423") wildcat based on the 375 Ruger case, this is an update.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2464797/page/0/fpart/1
The donor rifle, a Ruger Hawkeye African in 375 Ruger has now been re-bored to .423" and test fired by the GS (Danny Pedersen) successfully today. I should have the rifle back within 2 weeks and ready for load development over the spring. As far as I can tell this is the first firing of this new wildcat cartridge. Will post further updates with load data and range tests as the project proceeds. Thanks again to muledeer (the Alaskan variety) and to Ray for the collaboration on this 24HCF development.
Coooooool.

BMT
Damn! Ok, I have a .404 Jeffery being built now, on a Ruger M77 MkII aciton, so now I will have to build a .404Ruger....OK!

Can't wait to see it, got to work on getting an action now...
The 404/375 Ruger is a natural fit in the Mk II. Always a good reason for a new rifle, especially in a cartridge combining a classical bore and modern case technology. smile
Can't wait for updates. Great project. Kudos for all involved.
Now, to take the first Brown Bear with the .404 Ruger... wink
Maybe you can carry this one in AK when I bring it back from the buff hunt. I'm having it glass bedded into a spare Rimrock synthetic stock for the wet places where the wood African stock won't do well. It'll look almost like when you last saw it in 375 - bigger hole in the muzzle, though! Just have to send me some photos of the bruin when the rifle makes its way back. smile
Sir, I would be most honoured. But what do you mean... rifle making its way back? laugh

Wish you best of luck, getting the rifle ready in time for africa and taking buff there. PM sent.
Wildcatter264,
Be sure and let me know your work up loads, I'm betting you can get 2400 FPS with a 400 gr. bullet! Looking forward to your results...
Will keep you posted. I suspect you're right about potential MV.
I would bet that you start your loads by using the max loads for the 375 Ruger or even the 416 Ruger as they will be less pressure in the larger bore of the 423...but probably better to start at least 10 % below that and work up, but its a good starting point IMO.
The 404 African arrived today! Just got it unpacked and dropped it back in the wood stock - great fit in the glass bedding, nothing's changed except
[Linked Image]
African 404 on right & Alaskan 375 on left
and the stamp is a little different (hard to read "404 Ruger"
[Linked Image]
and side-by-side with a few 404 cartridges
[Linked Image]
Life does hold a few pleasures still. Shooting updates will follow in the next few weeks.
I am officially impressed! Very cool...

You are definitely the first, I'm betting. I'm at RMEF in Ft. Worth -- want me to tell the Ruger boys at their booth about it grin?

Now I need to find an Alaskan -- I can rebore it and throw the Hogue stock away at the same time...!

Dennis
I'm at RMEF in Ft. Worth -- want me to tell the Ruger boys at their booth about it ?

Sure, might as well let them know what Bill Ruger might have done to follow up on the 375, were he with us still. If they'd urge their partners at Hornady to headstamp a few cases in 404, it'd save a lot of work in getting the rifle into its natural habitat - buff country shocked !
Dennis, although you got me thinking along the right track with the "Ruger boys" idea, it wasn't til I had my first cup of coffee that I finally got it right.
How about pitching the "Ruger boys" the idea of a limited run (perhaps through Lipsey's?) of a 'Bill Ruger Commemorative' in 404 Ruger? It would be the perfect combination of a Classical bore with the new technology the 375 Ruger case reflects. They should still have the tooling for the barrels from their prior brush with the 404 bore
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The 404 BR Commemorative would be perfect in the African, but I'd settle for a N0. 1 - at least we'd have the cases headstamped correctly, after all laugh !
I will do that, and here is another thought. I was talking with them about shooting hogs with my new .338 RCM, and showed them a pic of my boar. They suggested I email the CEO, Michael Fifer, through the website and tell him the story -- they said he loves to hear from Ruger customers about what they are doing with Ruger firearms. So you might try that route as well -- it might trip his trigger. His forward in the '09 catalog notes "Not surprisingly, we've found that a lot of really great ideas for new products have come directly from you. So, please continue to give us your input..." Go to www.Ruger.com and click on the link "Tell the CEO."

It's a thought... grin.

Dennis
I just found a Ruger No. 1 in a 416 Rem. They are bloody hard to find, been looking for months..I have a ton of loaded ammo for the 416 Rem and sold my rifle awhile back..

I would like to see a no. 1 in 404 Jefferys...Ruger made a few of them but they got their specs messed up as I understand it, but with the new Hornady ammo they could get it right this time..Boy could you make a 404 Jefferys talk in a Ruger no. 1, and I'm betting 2800 FPS with a 400 gr. bullet would be a snap since I can get 2653 fPS in a 27" barrel Mauser, but recoil is some kind of grim, so I throttle'm back to 2400 FPS. 95 grs. of IMR-4831 is the load. Northfork got about 50 FPS less in their test barrel with a 24" tube.

I will probably build me a Mauser in 404 Ruger with a 20" tube, like the 416 Ruger I built, it was really nice, recoil was very tolerable and it was handy, and it got 2400 with ease.
Ray, the No. 1 in 404 Jeffery in the photo is one of those you mention. It's very easy to shoot, handy and accurate. A good feature is that the factory muzzle brake is removable. Which specs do you think they got wrong?
Dennis, took your advice and wrote SR's CEO the following:
"Mr. Fifer, I'm a long-standing Ruger customer, user and a wildcatter. About a year ago, I had the good fortune of acquiring a Ruger No. 1 in 404 Jeffery. I had also previously bought 2 Hawkeyes in 375 Ruger - an African and an Alaskan model. As a result of the experience with these 3 rifles and through an on-line collaboration with 2 other experienced shooters who appreciate classic cartridges, I developed a 404 cartridge (.423" caliber) based on the 375 Ruger case. My rifle test-bed - the first ever chambered and fired in this caliber - is a Ruger Hawkeye African model re-bored to .423" from .375" by Danny Pedersen of Classic Barrel Works in AZ. Those of us who admire Bill Ruger's love of classic guns and cartridges would stand in line to buy a limited edition commemorative Hawkeye African (or Ruger No. 1) in 404 Ruger, because this cartridge epitomizes the combination of classic English medium bore size with the modern technology that the 375 Ruger case represents. After all, the revival of classic firearm forms and cartridges (e.g., 416 Rigby) improved through production by modern technological processess was Bill Ruger's single most enduring genius. That you've already produced the 404 Jeffery (as witnessed by my No. 1) should hopefully mean that the tooling for a 404 Ruger cartridge is already in your production facilities, and that a Bill Ruger Commemorative in 404 Ruger will soon become a reality."

I won't hold my breath waiting for a result sleep, but who knows? Stranger things have happened - just not often. laugh
Dropped the African 404 off at the GS yesterday to have it glassbedded into the Rimrock stock that'll travel to the Moz swamps. Also found the range nearby, so another 3-4 weeks left to reload and then will start developing the loads for buff. Chrono reports to follow.
Wildcatter,
I am not sure what the hiccups were in the Ruger 404s, but I remember reading about it in a couple of the gun rags, and as I recall they took them off the market..some of the guns wouldn't chamber rounds...Not surprising as the 404 had more than a couple of specs, depending on who built them, also some off size bores in some of the older rifles.
Thanks for the information Ray. I assume you're referring to the Ruger 404 Jeffereys. My 404 Jefferey No. 1 has been shooting well so far. Although I'm very early in load development and have only shot the 450 Woodleigh solids, they clump together at 25 yds. Easy chambering and extraction. I'll work with the No. 1 some more this summer as I develop the 404 Ruger loads.
Picked up the 404 today after it was bedded into a Rimrock stock. Great balance and easy to carry without the scope. Really tempted to use it with open sights, as it points perfectly with the factory sights lining up naturally. Think I'll try it with and without the scope and then decide.

The African model in a Rimrock is about as close to perfect a rifle as I've seen in the pointing and handling department. Feels like a fancy custom.
Moe,

good thing should be those "customs" ruger rings of yours. Give you best of both worlds. Lokking forward to some pictures.

Carl
Carl, you're right. Here's the set up, it let's me get to the iron sights pretty quick if things don't go perfect. The 404 African is on top and the 375 Alaskan below it. I like the SS rings, esp. in AK when it's nasty and cold out.
[Linked Image]
Been following this one with real interest. As has been said the Ruger case is the best thing to come along in a long while and if I hadn't just built a Jeffery the Ruger would be the go. Testing is a bit academic as a 400gn Woodleigh at 2350fps to 2400fps is a well proven performer, and with the GS Custom 320gn HV bullet it would be as good as an all rounder as the Jeffery is but in a standard length action which seems to ring all the bells for most people now.
I did a similar thing with a set of Ruger rings and used a set of Warne levers to make them more easily QD although this was on a 7x57 wih bolt mounted aperture sight as primary. Just an aperture on the 404 though.

Von Gruff.
A few months ago, I sold my 416 Taylor and have been crying in my coffee because my 375 doesn't bust up stumps like my 416 did. Ruger does not seem to want to make the 416 in the African and I'm more inclined to the Mark I's than the Hawkeye, because of the tang safety. So the building bug is crawling around in my head.
A couple questions. What is the outside diameter of the barrel at the muzzle. Did you put another recoil lug under the barrel, or did you bed the piece of flat steel that Ruger put in? How much does this rifle weigh? I would suspect that as light as the African is, it might be a bit of a snot knocker?
Please keep the reports coming.
Thanks
Bflyu
The .416 Ruger or a 404 Ruger is an easy build on a Mauser or a Win. m-70..The .416 Ruger I built sometime back had all the bells and whistles and I used Talley QD with a slip on Talley peep..It worked like a charm with irons or scope. I got 2400 FPS with a 400 gr. bullet in a 20 inch tube with no problems at all.

It would be a snap to put a Ruger wood stock on the Hawkeye with a glass job, and you can pick up a Ruger factory wood stock used for next to nothing.
Would there be a demand for a drop magazine? Would Ruger be receptive to the idea?
As is, the Hawkeye now takes 3 in the mag in addition to the 1 in the chamber. Same arrangement in the 404-375 Ruger. I know there are some (many?) on this Forum who feel strongly about 'more is better for DG' but I can't say I've felt endangered so far carrying only 4 rounds in the Ruger. I prefer to keep the lines of the stock and the liveliness of the rifle as it is to having 1-2 more rounds in a shad-belly mag. YMMV.
Wildcatter,

Can you tell me more about your ring modification? I've been looking for somethign like that for Ruger rings. I bought Warnes, but they're just too high for my liking. I switched back to low Rugers on my 416 Rigby to get the cheek weld where I wanted it. Figured I could carry a stubby screwdriver if needed. I'd love to have some levers though. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

David Walker
David, the original levers were sold by Brownell's but I think they've been discontinued as I've not seen them listed in years. I had a GS friend modify a set of Ruger ring base nuts by welding a steel lever in the screwdriver notch and bluing them. It's actually pretty simple but as I can't weld I needed help. As you can see from the photos below, I reshaped the rear ring lever to clear the bolt release. Off setting it further out would do the same. These are on a Mk. II Magnum, seem OK.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Not a lot of differnce in 3 down and 4 down IMO...I like them both ways, but don't worry too much either way and I will reload a magazine every chance I get when hunting DG..I have never been out of ammo to the point of being endangered in a tight situation that I recall...
I'm liking those levers in a big way. May have to steal your pics to send to my smith to see if he'll help me out with something like that. Would you mind?

David
Feel free to use them.
Thanks, I may do that.

David
x2mosq,
It is a fast and easy job for any gunsmith to simple tig weld a lever into the Ruger slots, shape it and checker it...When taking it off and on just be sure the levers are in the same position each time if you want return to zero..Have the smith tig them on in the tightest position that is straight up..
Agree with Ray's observation about re-tightening the levers to the same position for repeatability of the zero. However, IME Ruger ring nuts infrequently, if ever, line up vertically when tightened. I use either small diameter SS or (preferably) brass shims as spacers between the nut and ring base to align the levers. The original levers from Brownell's included thin brass washers for this purpose and I've continued to use them in the new setup, with good success.
That is why I went with the Warne levers so that I could regulate the levers around the square head to suit my my set-up.

Von Gruff.
Same result, different method. The Warnes are probably easier but the modified Ruger rings look more original - certainly unique. smile
A few more small steps forward over the past week. Finally learned how to turn 375 Ruger Basic cases into 404 Rugers using the 375 Ruger & 404 Jeffery FS dies. Lost a couple of cases along the way. cry And now learning to stamp the correct marking on the case heads - still have a way to go there to get the right feel and alignment. Hope to have some shootable rounds next weekend, unless work keeps getting in the way. smile

First correctly (?) headstamped case
[Linked Image]
Pretty good. The only letter you have to work on is the 0. If you can get a (404R) on the case without other markings, that would look very professional. Happy to see your project coming along. Nothing is ever satisfactory until YOU perfect it.
Thanks for the encouragement. Yes, the 0 needs work. May try to stamp 404 Ruger - we'll see.
Anticipate this will be the last update before firing tests produce chrono data over the weekend. Found out the easiest way to form development cases (without correct headstamp) is 1 pass through the 404 Jeffery resizer (shimmed to correct headspace) with a tapered expander button. Small but discernible difference in neck diameter and thickness.

416 Ruger (left) and 404-375 Ruger (right)
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Fired the initial rounds at the range this afternoon, but the chrono refused to work, so no MV data until next week. Learned a few things at the loading bench. Powders suitable for the Ruger case with the .423" 400 gn TSX are much faster than in the 375 Ruger. Mainly because the volume of the .423" bullet at the max COAL (mag limited to 3.42") allows about 75-78 gns powder. Cases bulge on seating bullets above 80-82 gn charges. So, powders tested today at starting charges were RL-15, BL-(C) 2 & IMR-4064. All gave easy extraction, rounded primers and healthy but reasonable recoil from the bench over bags and a rest.

Also shot a Ruger No. 1 404 Jeffery - recoil less and slower in the Jeff because of the heavier rifle and muzzle brake. Interesting comparison between the old & new.

Have started to think about shorter bullets to increase effective case capacity so waiting for Hornady GSXs and may try Swift AFs (not much shorter than TSXs) and Woodleigh 400 gn RNs (markedly shorter than TSXs). Bullets tried will depend on chrono data next week.

2 shot test groups at 50 yds with all 3 powders. The 404-375 Ruger groups are at 3 and 9 o'clock in the inner diamond, with the 1st group 4" low at 5 o'clock (followed by elevation adjustment). The 2 shots at 3 o'clock 6" right are from the 404 Jeffery. The small holes in the center are 6.5-284s - needed a break between 404 groups. laugh
[Linked Image]

As usual, wildcatting is never dull because of the interesting problems to be solved along the way. smile
Have now received the new Hornady .423" 400 gn DGX bullets. These seem to be a good choice for the 404 Ruger as they essentially preserve the entire case capacity to equal that of the 375 Ruger parent case. This will allow another attempt at using the 4350 powders in the 404 Ruger. Firing reports next week. Bullets in all photos are positioned at max COAL (404 Ruger = 3.420" & 404 Jeff = 3.530").
[Linked Image]

The 404 Jeffery's longer neck is better suited to accommodate the 400 gn TSX.
[Linked Image]
As an aside:

I am curious as to whether you are building the 404 on the MK II Magnum length action or standard?

I own two .375 Ruger African Rifles. I set one up with a leupold 1x scope, glass bed the action and it is a supurb rifle. I was planning the .416 Ruger for the second rifle but now am following this thread with great interest...

dai
Comments made in error, therefore withdrawn.
Sorry for the confusion -- the aside was to Sactoller who had built a .404 Jeffrey...

I purchased the second Hawkeye for .416 Ruger -- but this project has bound me up in attention to what you are accomplishing....

David
Apologies for the confusion. I've withdrawn my comments.
Finally obtained the initial chronograph readings of a few test loads in the 404-375 Ruger. Hornady 400 gn DGXs with increasing charges of IMR-4350 & H-4350 produced MVs at 15' from 2093-2214 fps, with no case or primer signs of high pressures. These were all starting loads as there is sufficient case capacity with the Hornady bullets to increase these loads by several grains.

The only Barnes 400 gn TSX loads fired over the chrono so far were loaded with RL-15 and produced an avg MV of 2230fps. Next will fire BL-C2 with the TSXs and increasing H-4350 loads with the Hornady DGXs and Woodleigh 400 gn SPs. Target MV is 2300-2350 fps which seems attainable.

Recoil in the Hawkeye African is easily manageable seated at the bench and about comparable to the heavier Ruger MKII Magnum 458 Lott firing 350 gn bullets at ~2400fps.
Gretings,

took the time finally to see how you are progressing. Those chrono readings and the targets look promising. How are you for time before 'bique? Will the .404 Ruger be ready for action there?

Best from Germany.
Fascinating project.

Being a 404 Jeffery fan, but having more standard length actions than long ones laying about, I had long hoped that one of the factories would step up and do what you've done, perhaps naming it 404 #2 or 424 Ruger/Hornady/whatever.

Any idea how the case dimensions of your wildcat compare to those of the proprietary 404 Dakota?
Carl, about 6-7 weeks, so enough time to finalize the 404 loads. I think they'll turn out to be either Swift AFs or Hornady DGXs for the softs and Barnes Banded Solids for the follow ups. The rifle handles very well and you would recognize it as the one you last saw on the Gravena - with a bit wider bore and a more definitive projectile. smile

Any idea how the case dimensions of your wildcat compare to those of the proprietary 404 Dakota?

Viejo, although I'm not an expert on the Dakota cartridges, it's my impression that the 404 Dakota is a blown-out full length version of the 404 Rimless NE. So the head diameter is 0.545" and the length ~2.875". The Ruger case is 0.532" head diameter and 2.580" length. The 2 advantages of the Ruger case in the 404 application are that an unmodified standard-length (belted) magnum action can accommodate and feed the 404 Ruger, and that you can fit 3 404 Ruger cartridges in the magazine. The 404 Rimless NE, venerable case that it is, will only fit 2, unless a drop belly mag is used. Like your thinking on the naming convention for the new cartridge.
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
Carl, about 6-7 weeks, so enough time to finalize the 404 loads. I think they'll turn out to be either Swift AFs or Hornady DGXs for the softs and Barnes Banded Solids for the follow ups. The rifle handles very well and you would recognize it as the one you last saw on the Gravena - with a bit wider bore and a more definitive projectile. smile

Hey Moe, come now, you have been a loony long enough to know that one never build a "more definite" rifle; it is the "definite" in the works always...dare I say the ulitmate?

Looking forward to action reports of the .404 Ruger.

Wildcatter 264,

Thanks for the info on your case; I could be wrong about the Dakota, but I thought it was '06-type case length. Anyway, it was impossible to find info on it doing an internet search a couple of years ago. Besides, you've created an alternative to both it and the 404 Jeff with readily available, strong, less expensive brass.

Viejo

Viejo, you're right on the length of the 404 Dakota, it's a std-length case. I was able to find the Dakota case dimensions on their website. The 404 Dakota is 2.580" (as near as I can decipher from their drawing), so it's about the length of the 358 Norma and would fit in a std length action.

Range session today to chrono Barnes 400 gn TSX, 400 gn Banded Solids and Swift 400 gn AF. All chrono data obtained at 15', Temp = 68 F.

Swift 400 gn AF, Fed 215M, BL (C)-2 74-77 grains, COALL = 3.420"
MV (avg)= 2190 - 2285. The 77 gn load produced stuck cases, so constitutes a significant overload in my rifle and I consider it unsafe. The conclusion is that a slower powder will be needed with the Swift AFs to reach target MV. For now will discontinue testing the Swifts and resume later in the summer with IMR-4320, RL-15 and IMR-4350.

Barnes 400 gn TSX, Fed 215M, BL (C)-2 73-76 grains, COALL = 3.420" MV (avg) = 2200 - 2252

Barnes 400 gn Banded Solid, Fed 215M, BL (C)-2 74 grains, COALL = 3.420" MV (avg) = 2273

Further chrono session within next 2 days.

Target used as aiming point at 25 yds for chrono firing. All the bullets used seem to produce good accuracy, with 100 yd firing next week. The barrel has retained its accuracy after the re-bore. Small holes are 9.3x62. Fifteen .423" shots are aggregated in the groups at 11 o'clock (small right upper target), 9 o'clock (to the left of the right point of the central diamond) and at 6 o'clock (bottom point of central diamond). One Swift AF at 3 o'clock.

[Linked Image]

Moe,

good work - the TSX look good, despite their great length.

Close to 2300 fps with the solids is not to cough at either.

Looking forward to the next results.

So, there is a 9,3at your disposal, now? laugh

What is your schedule?
Carl, you're right the TSXs seem very promising at this point. I may not give up on the AFs completely just yet though. I'm pretty sure at today's session I'll see the solids around 2350 and that should be enough, about 4900 ft-lbs and all the penetration I should need.

The 9.3x62 was sort of an unexpected opportunity and takes the place of a particular favorite, a 35 Whelen. First chrono of the 286 Prvi Partisan factory loads though only showed 2090 fps. If I had more time I'd load 250 Accubonds, but instead will take a 300WSM with 180 Partitions PP as a 2nd rifle. Leaving on July 30 and will return in Mid-August. Stay tuned, some interesting things may yet happen and the photos of the trip should prove interesting.

Latest results involve firing the Hornady DGX, Barnes Banded Solid and Swift A-Frame. All are 400 grain 0.423" bullets.

Because pressure appears to spike fairly rapidly with BL(C)-2, H-414 was used for the latest firings. Further testing with H-380 seems indicated in late summer. Other components are Fed 215M primers, and Hornady cases. The cases were formed by either expanding 416 Ruger cases or forming and trimming 375 Ruger Basic (cylindrical) cases. A Redding 416 Ruger FL sizing die with the neck reamed an additional 0.005" and a tapered expander button was used for the forming in a single pass. COAL with all bullets = 3.420"

Firing results (T = 61-66 deg F, instrumental readings at 15'):

Swift 400 gn AF, H-414 73-83 gns = 2150-2252 fps KE = 3612-3939 ft-lbs
Hornady DGX 400 gn H-414 77-82 gns = 2200-2269 fps KE = 3760-3969 ft-lbs
Barnes Banded Solid 400 gn H-414 75-80 gns = 2166-2239 fps KE = 3651-3898 ft-lbs

Recoil (max) with the 8.25 lb rifle in a Rimrock stock is about 45-53 ft-lbs, but fairly fast.

After returning from hunting with the 404 in August will write a detailed article on the development of this cartridge. Seems close to ideal for buffalo with any of the 400 grain expanding bullets tested. On the light side, but probably usable on elephant with the monolithic solids, as these loads surpass original 404 Jeffery ballistics.

Would like to thank muledeer (Dennis) for the original idea and Ray for his encouragement on the project.

Today's update summarizes loads with RL-15 and adds firing the Woodleigh 400 grain SP Weldcore. All loads COAL = 3.420", Fed 215M primers, Hornady 416 Ruger cases, MV @ 15'. Range temp = 80 degrees F.

Hornady 400 grain DGX, 73-76 grains RL-15 = 2222-2314 fps, KE = 4387-4754ft-lbs
Barnes Banded Solid 400 gn, 73-76 grains RL-15 = 2237-2306 fps, KE = 4445-4724 ft-lbs
Woodleigh 400 grain SP Weldcore, 73-76 grains RL-15 = 2233-2329 fps, KE = 4428-4817ft-lbs
Final bullet tried yesterday was the Swift 400 grain AFs loaded with RL-15. All loads COAL = 3.420", Fed 215M primers, Hornady 416 Ruger cases, MV @ 15'. Range temp = 88 degrees F.

Swift 400 grain AFs, 73-76 grains RL-15 = 2229-2302 fps, KE = 4412-4703 ft-lbs

These are the last firing test reports before hunting with the 404 Ruger in August. Based on feeding tests during the firing, I've decided to use the Swift 400 grain AFs for Cape buffalo and the Barnes 400 grain Banded Solids for elephant. They shoot into the same group and feed flawlessly, as do the Woodleighs. The Hornady DGXs have caused several jams as they chamber, with the flat nose catching on the chamber wall, probably at the shoulder-neck junction.

Case extraction is easy with all RL-15 loads and there have been no apparent pressure problems as the ambient temperatures have increased.

Unexpected events during the testing included the splitting of the Ruger African stock longitudinally in the upper surface of the pistol grip behind the tang and of the wood between the magazine box and trigger guard recess. This factory stock had been glass bedded (obviously poorly), had been shot with the rifle as a 375, but withstood just sixteen 404 rounds before cracking. The Rimrock stock that replaced the cracked wood has withstood over 150 shots, but the rifle scoped in it weighs only 8 lbs. 4 oz. The recoil speed was extremely fast and poorly conducive to follow up shots. Therefore, the African barreled action is now in a Hogue Alaskan stock, total scoped rifle weight with sling 9 lbs 14 oz., making firing follow ups much easier and the recoil much more manageable. The sticky surface and large cross section of the Alaskan stock fore-end �not a particular advantage in the 375 configuration- make the 404 much more controllable. The Hogue stock, at least the added weight, makes a worthwhile modification. These findings may explain why the 416 Ruger is only available in the Alaskan configuration.
Seeing all this happen has just pleased me immensely. It is so cool to see how it is working out and how you are doing it. Now it will be grand to see your adventures in Africa!

Thanks for the updates...

DEnnis
Good on you Wildcatter 264. Really pleased to see no pressure signs at the +P loads. How are the fillings in your teeth holding up?
I cannot wait to hear animal impact stories. I have followed this project closely and am so very pleased for you. And guess what? Still no setatched retinas or other such predicted outcomes.

Randy
I used the 350 gr. Barnes Xs in my 404 but they discontinued them for some reason known only to Barnes..It would have been about a perfect bullet in the 404 Ruger. It works great in the 416 Ruger..and a 350 gr. 40 caliber will penetrate with the best of them..
Medicman, although my fillings are hanging on, my shoulder took a real beating until I figured out that there are sound historical reasons for 10 lb large medium bore rifles. Ultralight is good in a 6.5-284 but not at all a good idea in a full house 404!

I just finished placing the final pound - a lead ingot - in the hollow butt of the Alaskan stock. That'll be followed by spray foam tomorrow, and a 10 lb 404 Ruger will be finished for its African debut.

Daily routine of 10 rounds per day at Kevin Robertson's 1/4-scale 'Perfect Shot' buffalo target, -off sticks at 50 yds and off-hand at 25 - with Woodleigh 400s at a 'sedate' 2000 fps still keeps my undivided attention. Concentration on follow ups next.

Ray, I see that Woodleigh has a 350 grain 0.423" RN designed for 1800-2300 fps impact velocity. It'll be interesting to round up a few and try them. With a length of 1.128" they should be perfect in the Ruger case. BTW, the functional capacity difference between the 404 Ruger and 404 NE is only 4 grains, ~5%. Pushing the Ruger a bit more should equal the best modern 404NE MV.

Dennis, it is very gratifying to see you back on the Forum - I'll post the pictures. Thanks again for a great idea.
Recognizing that absolutely everyone posting on this thread knows more about the subject than I do, never having owned a forty caliber anything, here's a thought:

When you run out of something to do, try A-Square Dead Toughs (anywhere from 350g to 400g) with whatever load you like. BIG bullet -lots of mass - and excellent SD. Plus, A-Square technology. Often odd to the point of being counterintuitive, but just as often works awfully well in just about any caliber.

GREAT project. Please keep posting.
wpsuth, thanks for the suggestion. May try the A-Square at some point in the future, but with a trip looming and development time too short, the inconsistent availability of the A-Squares steered me away from depending on them as my primary hunting bullet. Will keep the thought in mind.
A bit less than 10 hrs from departure. The 404 Ruger is safely stowed in the case and ready to be tested on Cape buffalo with Swift AF 440s in Moz starting Aug 1 and on elephant in Zim starting Aug 11 with Barnes Banded solid 400s. Reports and hopefully pics will follow upon return.
Good luck and have a good time!

If everything works out, it may mean I will have two .404's in my safe, a Jeffery's and then a Ruger....You are evil! laugh
I think your best results will be with RL-15 as it was with my 416 Ruger on a 98 Mauser wherein I could reach 2400 FPS with ease and I see no reason why the .423 bullet wouldn't be RL-15 prone...
Just got back yesterday after 3 weeks split between Mozambique - Cape buffalo and a bit of PG - and Zimbabwe for elephant. Was able to use the 404 on 2 buffs, waterbuck, and reedbuck- worked well in each case with the Swift 400 AFs. Saw several hundred elephants, some at very close range, but no bulls we wanted to take. So no reports on the use of the Barnes 400 solids on pachyderms, only on a chance encounter with a kudu at a longer range than I anticipated.

The rifle configuration worked well, although a few changes are upcoming. If there's interest in the pics and some details, I'll post on the Africa forum. A magnificent adventure! smile
Congratulations! Great summary -- I am tickled to death to hear that this all worked so well for you. Please do give more and photos...thanks...

Dennis
Thanks Dennis. Sent you a PM with some pics of the hunt. The 404 worked well, even in unexpected situations.
Brief report on the use of the 404/375 Ruger on African game, with a few photos, posted in the 'Africa' forum. The project seems close to completion now, with a few rifle mods and a bit more load development left. Cheers!
After a long while of just shooting proven loads in the 404 Ruger African, I finally did a bit more experimenting with other powders. So for anyone interested, a few reduced (practice) loads and also some full-power loads - that now equal 416 Rigby and 416 Remington MVs - from the Ruger case with a 0.423" bullet, are listed below.

All data shot in a re-bored Ruger Hawkeye African, 23" bbl. now back in the re-enforced factory wood stock.

Practice loads:
H-4895 -450 gr. Woodleigh SPRN -
60.0 gr = 1869 fps
65.0 gr. = 2032 fps
350 gr lead 60.0 gr H-4895 (gas check) sized to 0.422" = 2048 fps

DGR (pachyderm) loads
RL-17 - 400 gr. Barnes Banded Solid -
72.0 g = 1929 fps
76.0 g = 2064 fps
82.0 g = 2318 fps
83.0 g = 2351 fps
84.0 g = 2368 fps
85.0 g = 2416 fps

CCI 250 primers used in all loads

Those following may note that with the previous powder used, H-4350, case capacity ran our before the 2400 fps MV target was reached. Because of the smaller kernel size of RL-17, enough powder can be used with a monolithic bullet to keep COAL at 3.420" (max allowed in the African magazine) and still reach 2400 fps +. A bit more MV may be possible, as there is still some case capacity left without significant powder compression, but 2416 fps = 5184 lb-ft KE. This is equivalent to the golden-standard large medium bore performance of the 416 Rigby. As my intent is to use this rifle as a 2nd rifle for elephant, this seemed a good place to stop.
Very cool...I like this a lot!

Great to hear from you about this and other things. I appreciate it.

Dennis
Wildcatter264 - wish you the best on attaining Mike Fifer's ear on the project. I've sent numerous 'voice of the customer' messages to him just to have Ruger chamber the "African" in .416 Ruger. I've a 9.3X62mm so the .416 (or a .404 )would be a nice set. Regards, Homesteader.
© 24hourcampfire