Home
Posted By: 86thecat Cheap Double Rifles Again??? - 11/18/09
Looks like EAA is importing them again. Anyone have any info?
Pic from Gun Blast at Nat'l Sporting Goods Wholesale Show in Reno, labeled "EAA Double Rifle"-
[Linked Image]

http://www.gunblast.com/NASGW2009.htm
Word elsewhere is that these double guns are designed for the low pressure loads like the 45-70, though they appear to also offer it in .270 and 30-06 (??)

Not the cheap big-bore double some might have been hoping for, I suspect.
OK looking toy for wannabe's, but I would not trust my life on one so I am OK with them being offered in 45/70, 270 and such. One in 50/140 Sharps would be fun to play with but I still regard them as toys.
Yet a 45-70 would be a nice Elk rifle.
Googled around a bit and it looks like they may get the Sabatti (rumors of Nitro calibers) as well as the Russian guns.
And what, pray tell, is a Sabatti?
Sabatti is an arms company based in Italy. They are the Yugo
of the european rifle manufacturing community.
Sincerely,
Thomas
I wonder how they regulate the barrels (if they do at all).
From Closed Gun Broker ad a couple months ago-
We are selling a brand new Sabatti "Classic 92" Double Rifle chambered in 45-70. These are imported by EAA and are made in Italy. This one has an engraved, case colored receiver which is not cataloged and I think you can count the number of the case colored ones imported on your fingers. Supposedly it was a mixup, EAA wanted the case coloring on another model or something, we bought two, there might have been a few more before we found them. The best part is we got an amazing deal on them, this is the cheapest refulated double rifle I've ever seen. These are NOT the old Russian Baikal/EAA/Remington double rifles that you have to regulate yourself, this is a totally different model and you don't have to monkey around with that, it just happens that it's also imported by EAA. If they ever show up there's supposed to be a wide selection of chamberings (including nitro chamberings) and a couple different models of these to pick from that we have backordered. They're all going to be way cheaper than any other double rifles around, however the price we have on these will probably never be touched as it's a special one time deal. If you want more info on the others let us know and we can let you know what we have coming and put you on the list, we just can't give you any date on when to expect it, and given past events, can't 100% promise they'll show up at all, however since we got these I can't imagine not seeing any more. As you can see it has the European style angled stock. There is a Boar on each side of the receiver and a stag on the bottom with lots of scroll work all over (even the screw head as you can see!) and a really rich case coloring on the receiver and tang. It has 24" barrels with double triggers, and it has fiber optic open sights which you don't see on too many double rifles, I think they try to make them look older, but if you want to shoot it I think these sights are the way to go. It comes with a base as well if you'd prefer a scope. If you take a look at the target they shoot pretty well too, I've seen double rifles three times the price that weren't regulated as well. These are really nice looking rifles and priced way below all double other rifles

Buy now price was $3600 and it didn't sell.
Don't know any more about these than I have found on a quick Google search, but thought it was interesting.
While I'm sure that these aren't the quality of an H&H or Purdy they're not going for that price either.
If you look at the EAA/USSG site you'll see they are advertized up to a 600 NE. All Euro guns must pass the CIP proofs so it will be safe to shoot.
I've got a 450 NE on order. Try finding any other DR for less than 5K. They come with the regulation target. If they aren't that good then I'm not out alot.
I have seen a 9.3x74 in the classic and deluxe. Classic was about 3500 Cdn and deluxe about 800 more. If I remember right. They say within a year they will have nitros from 450 to 500. Also 375 H&H 416 Rigby and 458 Win. If they do show up I will try to get a 450. I know if they made a 450/400 it would sell also. I will never afford a nice double so this would be a cheaper fun way to play with a nice looking gun.
http://www.ussginc.com/pdfs/catalogpg7.pdf
There's also a thread going over on Nitroexpress.com
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=142675&Main=142520
Interesting - which 450 Nitro is it chambered for? I think the 470 NE would be the hot ticket.
There is only one 450 Nitro Express. There is a #2 and it's called 450 #2 Nitro Express.A 3 1/4" case similar to the 45-120.
The way I see it it's a low case pressure 458 Winny. It'll toss a 480 to 500 grn slug out at 2100 to 2200 fps.
Posted By: RJM Re: Cheap Double Rifles Again??? - 11/20/09
...a .405 Winchester would certainly be interesting. I saw one so chambered at the Allenstown, Pa. show last month but at $9K it was a little over my budget...

Bob
I highly doubt that this chambering would be included, but if they made one in 475 #2 I would be sorely tempted. Always wanted a rifle so chambered. If anyone out here in campfire land has an extra rifle in this caliber and could part with it........
I'd love to get one of those in 303 British.

There's a old German 405 for sale here locally for alot less than 9k. I've handled it and it's sweet.
If there is only one 450 Nitro Express then how come there is a #2?

But, what I wanted to know was if it was the longer version or the shorter, and you answered my question.
The 450 #2 is a totally different cartridge. The only common measuremnent is the bore size. Rigby made the NE first(1898) the afterwards the #2 came in designed by Eley(1903)
The #2 is alot bigger thus lower pressure.
Look here for the measurements of the cases.

http://members.shaw.ca/cstein0/riflelist2.htm

edit; With the new brass by Jamison and Hornady the 450 NE is cheaper to shoot. The #2 has very spendy brass made by Bertram and Hornbearer I think.
I knew that - my only question was which of the two the gun was chambered for.
Sorry I misunderstood..

It's the 450 NE 3 1/4". Not the 3 1/2" #2
I believe that there's currently a Francotte .475 #2 in the Cabelas fine guns catalog; a bit above my touch. They have, however, discounted it from $27K to $24K, if that makes a difference ...

wink

I have seen, a couple of times, working grade and well used double rifles in that caliber go for under $10,000 but I did not have $10,000 to spend. Still don't so no, a 'discount' down to merely $24,000 will not help me right now. Someday though.......
There are actually quite a few very nice new 9.3, 470 and 500 Merkels Chapuis and K-Guns for the 10K price tag.
There's also a newly listed Jeffery for a mere $37,999.

wink
The word on the street direct from Italy and a call to the factory is the the 577 will not be made but the 600 will be in the woods by 2010. The cost will be about 5000 euros, about 7,490 USD today.

Not a Rolls Royce but hardly a Yugo either..
I think my preferred calibers would be:

9.3x74
.450/.400
.500/.416
.450 No. 2
.577 NE

If pushed came to shove, I'd really be torn between the .500/.416 and the .450 No. 2. I really like the additional velocity of the .500/.416, but the comparative practicality of the .450 No. 2 is very attractive. For a go-for-the-throat stopping rifle, the .577 looks very hard to beat.

Not that the manufacturer has contacted me on the subject.

Why would you want the 450 #2? It takes alot of dacron to fill the void, (IE; extra hassel). The 450 NE doesn't need it and the pressures are do-able. The results are the same. Although the case is more impressive looking.
Lol. You're right of course. But there's a certain charm to both the .450 No. 2 and the .475 No. 2.

smile
Yah...Ok.. wink Charms fine but it's a PITA..
But it is fun to watch the 'snowstorm' settle out in front in the middle of summer.
Originally Posted by Syncerus
Lol. You're right of course. But there's a certain charm to both the .450 No. 2 and the .475 No. 2.

smile

My sentiments as well.

BTW, the 577's and up really are not good stopping rifles. They lack penetration. 416-470 max cal seems to be the way to go.
Gentlemen (and ladies)
Please don't waste your time and money on a Sabatti .45/70. The forend irons are too soft and wear out prematurely. This will make your gun almost impossible to open, due to the hammers not being cocked soon enough to get the firing pins away from the primers. Sabatti double rifles are garbage! Look good in the gun rack, I guess, but don't plan on shooting them more than 20 or so times.
This is the only report of a bad one from many reports they are a fine rifle for the money. He didn't pay much (comparatively speaking)so he's not out that much. Have you sent it to a real `smith that knows D/R's inside and out for assesment and repairs? JJ Pederou at Camplains in Enid OK. would be my first choice.
Uh, $3000 is a lot to me sir. Things must be bigger in Alaska, especially paychecks! (j/k)

And shouldn't a new gun work fine? Not to sound insulting to you, but I don't think that I will ever be happy with a $3000 new gun that has to be worked on. And this report is based on handling two brand new examples at Cabelas. The "deluxe" model may be ok, but the $3000 one should be avoided. I'm just warning yall, ok? Go get one, and shoot it a lot, and I think you'll be sorry.
I have a Chapuis( as well at 9 others) that was built for me personally and It's still stiff opening. I've got over 400 rounds thru it too. It's getting better but it's far from easy opening.
Another is a 450 NE by Searcy that is better but still new enough that it's not free. My 1906 Hollis 500/450 is sweet because it's got over a hundred years of use. I bet it was somewhat stiff when it was new too.
I'm not saying that I'd toss $3K out the window, but compare that to the price of another D/R.. It's cheap! Contact JJ Pederou at Camplains in Enid OK and discuss this for repairs needed.
Hate to bore everyone with this, but this is the issue with these guns. I'm going to start basic, so bear with me.

After you fire your double, you unlock the breach, and swing the barrels down. As you do this, there are rods in the action that are connected to the forend that push the hammers back, eventually cocking the gun.

What happens on the Sabattis that I have had contact with is this:

After you fire, obviously the hammers are down, firing pins are forward. You unlatch your gun and start to swing the barrels down. The problem is, the rods that push the hammers back don't push them back far enough, soon enough. So you have to literally shove the fired primer past the firing pin. I know that's what is going on, because it leaves a mark, a "swipe" on the primer where you can see the firing pin dragging across the primer.

The other problem is, in BOTH guns I've seen, there was a very similar defect in the muzzle. This one is harder to explain, but it looks like a little dished out triangle, like someone had a reamer of some kind in there and instead of the reamer being straight up and down, they pushed it over to one side and took a chunk of metal out. I've NEVER seen anything like this on a new gun. Maybe an old .22LR pump that someone cleaned for 50 years from the muzzle, but never on a new gun.

The best part is, rather than put new barrels on the gun, EAA just polished and cold blued the areas with the missing metal!!?!?

Look folks, I just can't sit around and not say anything about these guns. I don't have one bit of skin in the game, but I know that I was so disappointed that I was physically ill. And it wasn't even my gun--it was my father's. His boyhood dream. And the gun was a total lump.

Bottom line: I've seen two of these Sabatti double rifles, and both of them suffered the same two defects. A gun should open after its fired. Without breaking it over your leg. Maybe its coincidence. But I wouldn't bet on it.
I suggest that you discuss this with the folks that are happy campers with theirs over in the D/R section of AR. There's several that have many rounds down the pipes so far.
I love mine, and I really can't agree in anyway with the negatives. Never thought I'd ever be able to get into a nice REAL double rifle; one of the best buys I have ever made. I have been waiting my whole life as well for the right one. I got it without question. Just MY personal experience.
Rick
the new Sabatti is a very strong and excellent double rifle, a great buy for the buck and comes in some real nice calibers like the 450-400, 450-3.25 and they are proving to be very accurate indeed..

I have a lot of friends that have them now and they all praise the highly in every respect..JJ at Champlains praises them and thats no light honor for sure..

The are a little hard to open and close but ALL new double rifles that I have shot or had reworked, suffer that malody until you fire them a 100 times. A double needs to be shot in, and if its not tight then you might in up with a slopy broke in gun when all is said and done.
© 24hourcampfire