Home
Posted By: Siskiyous6 Remington's Safari Mauser - 03/01/10
I see the Remington Safari Mauser made in the Zastava factory advertised in 375 H&H and 458 Win.

Do any of you have experience with this product?

If so is the action long enough for re-chambering for the 458 Lott?

Thank you.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is my 458 in the basic rifle. If they can chamber these for 375 H&H, the 458 Lott is no problem. wink

They are a lot of rifle for the $500-$600 the market is asking right now.
Would not take much to turn one into a good quality DGR or even a PH heavy rifle. Dial in the feeding and action cycling details including smoothing everything up and quadruple checking function and reliability.... maybe some trigger work, good solid optics and you would be up and running with good stuff.
And get a "real" stock....not one made of plastic or plywood!!
Posted By: daddywpb Re: Remington's Safari Mauser - 03/01/10
A guy I met at the range had one of these in 375 H&H. It looked ok, I don't like the stock, but I didn't shoot it. Where are they made?
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: Remington's Safari Mauser - 03/01/10
Actually, the new "safari" model is hard to find. It is the same action as the one shown above,(zastava) but the stock is different (only 3 pieces of laminate IIRC) and the barrel is shorter , 22 inches instead of 26. There is one that you can look at on gunbroker in 458 but I have not seen a 375. Also, they are selling for about $850 and as a result, dealers are closing out the 798's at good prices. Sellers on gunbroker are trying to sell the 798's as "safari' models but most are like the one Bruce has pictured above.
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: Remington's Safari Mauser - 03/01/10
Auction # 158858572 check this auction on gunbroker.....nice looking rifle.
I recall something came up awhile back about them firing before the bolt closed? Anybody have any comment on that? If its so then I don't want one..
Posted By: Schewe Re: Remington's Safari Mauser - 03/01/10
Try laminated maple & walnut..... That is what you are looking at.
Ray,

I have had a bunch of the Zastava versions of this gun, from Whitworth, early Mark Xs, Alaskans, and now this 798.

The guns have had no such problems in my experience. I just sold a "surplus" 375 early Mark X to a member here that is excellent, and I am keeping an Alaskan 458 I got recently for a 458 Lott to play with. I have a lot of respect for these guns, although the machining quality is nothing like it once was. They still shoot where pointed and feed well.

I handled a "safari" model at SCI, and it does look nice in the 3-ply stock! The 22" barrel makes more sense, also.
I think that an Interarms Whitworth Mauser would be a better alternative. Remington and Zastva don't seem to be able to play well with each other.
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
I think that an Interarms Whitworth Mauser would be a better alternative. Remington and Zastva don't seem to be able to play well with each other.

Could you elaborate on how this would affect me as a buyer?

Going bang at the wrong time would be a bother all right, that would be a deal killer.
siskiyous6,

Please buy whichever rifle you want.

Interarms and what is now called Zastava were in business together for decades. I've seen the 798s and I've seen Whiworth Mausers. Zastava built the barreled actions for both.
Compare one next to the other for yourself for fit and finish.

As for Remington's issues with Zastava, Remington is obviously not happy. Remington has a reputation to maintain for quality and reliability. The same cannot be said for Serbian industries. Remember the Yugo?

I don't own stock in any company. So I have nothing to gain or lose in your purchase. As I said... Buy whatever you want too.
Unfortunately here in Northern CA (Baja Oregon) getting my hands on great guns so as to compare them is difficult. Not to start a fight, but I never cared much for Remington's guns, the only one I own is a Fieldmaster .22LR pump rifle. But I like Mausers.
siskiyous6,

Remington's Model 798 programs appears to be a great business plan that is or was poorly executed. I've handled the one true 798 Safari model I've seen. With the three pieced walnut laminate stock and a 22" barrel it looked good for under a thousand dollars. Not good to go, but a good project gun. Smooth out the action, replace the trigger, put a better safety on, rebedding into the stock, and mount decent iron sights. Then it would be ready for anything out there worldwide!
My thoughts exactly excepting I would keep the original trigger with just a bit of smithing to smooth and lighten it up a smidge. Yep , for very little green one could have a real capable DGR there. And I too, like the laminate. I have two customs with laminate stocks and I could have done other if I had wanted to. nice looking to my eyes and rugged, stable etc.
Posted By: orion03 Re: Remington's Safari Mauser - 03/02/10
Local Cabela's had the 3 piece laminate on sale for $800 and was planning on getting one in a 458 Win. All they had was the 375, since I already have one in a Winchester decided to pass. The one I did look at seemed like a pretty decent rifle for the money. A little rough, but that's to be expected. Probably could be tuned and smoothed for not much dough.
I have never had any problems with the Mark X or the Whitworths, in fact I think they are an exceptional Mauser and very underated...The problem I am told arose with the ore recent Zastavas, according to Jack Belk, unless I misunderstood him, and that was some time back before he moved out of this area..
Rem M798 Safari - have the .458 Win version with fancy laminated walnut stock,rosewood fore-end tip and 22 inch barrel. My 'smith asked that same question (reaming to .458 Lott) after I took delivery. He stated it would not be a problem. My reply was "why bother?". Today's .458 Winchester round is much better than when introduced. Sure, if you want the extra power you can go the Lott route but I would suggest trying the modern .458 Win round first then decide. BTW - this is my second .458 Win rifle and I've re-loaded for the caliber since the 70's. After all, you never know when you'll come across a rogue garbage truck - LOL. Homesteader
Posted By: WiFowler Re: Remington's Safari Mauser - 03/05/10
The gun in question currently being marketed by either EAA or USSG (ussginc.com/pdfs/catalogpg6.pdf), as a Zastava Z98. As it is currently being marketed, and while the barrel is 22", it is sans sights. Sights and installation could be the 'deal breaker'.
Hello - my M798 has what appears to be a pretty good rear sight setup. At first glance looks identical to the Williams but it's not. It's a notched "U" blade and I prefer the proven shallow "V" blade. Front sight is a bead on top of a short ramp. May end up with a NECG rear sight setup to get what I want.

Prior to delivery I had my 'smith (Somarriba Inc. Miami) smooth up the action and it made a world of difference. FWIW - the Ruger Hawkeye's could also use a bit of action smoothing. This extra expense should not be necessary BUT what can you do. Like the old FRAM oil filter commercial stated "pay now or pay later". Homesteader.
Posted By: temmi Re: Remington's Safari Mauser - 03/08/10
I know the price is $300 (ish) more but would a CZ be a better choice?

I mean you only buy them once so once you save up 600 is 900 so far away� and you can get a CZ in the beloved 458 Lott.

BTY I�m still saving
Only thing about the CZ is that 25 inch barrel. Way too long. Have a CZ550 FS in 6.5 Swede and, while not as gritty as the Rem M798, it also needed an action smoothing. Otherwise, had Remington continued importing the Mauser, I would have purchased another one. Especially liked those they imported in matte stainless steel with the green toned laminated stocks. Just waited a tad too long freeing up the greenbacks...by then they were no longer available.
Homesteader.
I love the long barrel of my CZ 416 Rigby. Gets the most out of a cartridge that really is a long range hard hitter.

I have a few really long barreled rifles and have never seen a real disadvantage to them. My 300 Weatherby is 29 inches and it is a proven long range game taker.
Posted By: temmi Re: Remington's Safari Mauser - 03/11/10
This may be way off topic... but what is the cost diff between the Rem and CZ?
Siskiyous6 - guess it all depends on the country you're in hunting. 25 or 26 inch in open area's should not be a problem catching on branches, bushes etc. Here in So. Florida different story. In a cypress head 18,20 or 22 inch OK - from a buggy, tree stand or airboat can get by with longer. Long barrels remind me of the WW2 155mm "Long Tom" artillery piece. Just my $.02 worth. Regards, Homesteader
I actually paid for my CZ what they want for the Remington's right now. I think the CZ's are about $900 right now.
I can pick up a Whitworth for about a grand, and I have used them enough to know they are outstanding Mausers..I think I would opt of a used Whitworth over a Remington..
Just to add another option to consider. The beautiful Ruger 77 RSM model in 375 H&H, 416 Rigby, or 458 Lott. They can be had used for about $1400.
Originally Posted by atkinson
I can pick up a Whitworth for about a grand, and I have used them enough to know they are outstanding Mausers..I think I would opt of a used Whitworth over a Remington..

Or an earlier Mark X wink ...for around $700.00 laugh
idahoguy101 - AMEN to that brother. Just check out the pix's of the RSM in .375 H&H on another thread. Really, a very nice rifle.
Regards, Homesteader.

I post this pic not because it is a big bore but because it started life out as a Zastavia Mini-Mauser in .223 as imported by Charles Daley early in the decade. I bought it because they made some lefties. It was rougher than a cob and had the finish of a tent peg.

But, James Anderson, formerly of Dakota Arms turned it into a very fine rifle but to do so was not an inexpensive project; he certainly breathed life into this one. Judging by this rifle though in its imported state, I,d think twice about trusting Zastavias of this ilk as a DGRs with just a "few tweaks" or on the cheap.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 338_06 Re: Remington's Safari Mauser - 04/07/10
FWIW, www.cdnnsports.com has the 798 375 H&H & 458 Win mag listed at $500. They also list the Ruger no. 1 in 375 ruger SS gray laminate at $750. $500 for base price DGR sounds cheap. Shorten barrel, upgrade sights, trigger work and you still have a 2 position safety. I would like to see Mod 70 safety. Mauser safety available?
The old Mark X Mauser imported back in the 80's was made in Czechoslovakia. I don't know if the new Remington is made there or not.
They will smooth up by themselves after a few years. They have that nice big extractor and are reliable. Accuracy would depend on the individual barrel.
It's always a gamble when you buy a rifle without shooting it first! grin
© 24hourcampfire