Home
Posted By: reflex264 Well I bought a 798 .375 - 04/27/10
I just bought a NIB .375 798 Rem and must say I am pretty pleased with it. The action is going to be smoothed up and probably a nice piece of wood anlong with a barrel chopping but for the money it is a good rifle. reflex264
Posted By: Tuco Re: Well I bought a 798 .375 - 04/28/10
CDNN had 798's on sale a month or so ago (maybe they still do) and I toyed, briefly, with buying one. Trouble is, I already have a Mod. 700 in .375, so couldn't rationalize buying another rifle in the same caliber. That said, 798's are good looking rifles; I'm sure you'll be pleased with it.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Well I bought a 798 .375 - 04/28/10
i bought one last month in .308 and walnut and i am very impressed with it so far.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Well I bought a 798 .375 - 04/29/10
More deer culling Roy? grin
Posted By: orion03 Re: Well I bought a 798 .375 - 04/29/10
I'm kinda interested in one of those. Let us know how it functions and shoots.
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: Well I bought a 798 .375 - 04/29/10
there is a newer model with a shorter barrel and nicer wood...here is an example on gunbroker...this one is a 458 but it comes in 375 also...looks nice

Auction # 166260243
Posted By: foxhound Re: Well I bought a 798 .375 - 04/29/10
That version with the 22 inch barrel, barrel band, and nice looking 3 piece laminated wooden stock is the real 'Safari' version, which they came out with the last year or so they sold these. I have one in 375 and love it. Prices sure have shot up on this model though...
Rick
Posted By: doubletap Re: Well I bought a 798 .375 - 04/29/10
Originally Posted by Tuco
CDNN had 798's on sale a month or so ago (maybe they still do) and I toyed, briefly, with buying one. Trouble is, I already have a Mod. 700 in .375, so couldn't rationalize buying another rifle in the same caliber. That said, 798's are good looking rifles; I'm sure you'll be pleased with it.

You must have missed the memo. You're supposed to have at least 2 in each caliber.
Posted By: Tuco Re: Well I bought a 798 .375 - 04/29/10
[/quote] You must have missed the memo. You're supposed to have at least 2 in each caliber.[/quote]

HaHaHaHa. smile Believe me, I agonized over a 798 in .375. Instead, I bought a BLR in .460 Marlin from another Campfire member.
Posted By: Tuco Re: Well I bought a 798 .375 - 04/29/10
.450 Marlin, I meant. Oops!
Posted By: reflex264 Re: Well I bought a 798 .375 - 04/30/10
I haven't shot this one yet.I am trying to decide on optics. My gunsmith actualy has nearly talked me out of doing anything to this one. If it shoots good I may leave it as is. I have been thinking about sticking one of my 3x Leupolds on it. Other options would be a 2.5x8 VX-III or a 1.75x6 VX-III. I haven't had time to load any ammo for it yet but I have a few boxes of Federal factory stuff. May give that a whirl. reflex264
Posted By: reflex264 Re: Well I bought a 798 .375 - 04/30/10
Originally Posted by Fotis
More deer culling Roy? grin

How did you guess? Actualy we got the news a few days ago. Shooting beans and corn. I will probably use it some. I really need to break in the gatlinguns .416. reflex264
Posted By: Fotis Re: Well I bought a 798 .375 - 04/30/10
Can I help?
I don't see how you could go wrong..It is a commercial FN action, has the control feed that is needed on a Dangerous Game rifle..Slicking it up is always a good idea, I would add a 3 pos. M-70 saftey, two cross bolts and glass bed it myself..

I am thinking it is or will be available in .458 win. and if so I am going to get one just to make Phil S. aka (458) and few others that have been on my case over that old dog caliber..I'll give it one more chance to prove itself to me! smile smile smile
Ray - As the owner of a M798 Safari model, in .458, you'll be pleasantly surprised. Laminated stock, 22 inch barrel, gloss blue finish. Yes, the action needs to be slicked up some along with your other mods but basically you are good to go. Regards, Homesteader.
I'm sorry. I misunderstood that memo to mean get a Rem 798 Safari AND a Whitworth Mauser. For comparison reasons, of course... LOL to all
Posted By: reflex264 Re: Well I bought a 798 .375 - 05/01/10
This one already has two cross bolts. I am thinking of leaving teh externals alone and having gatlin do the action and bedding. For the price it would be very hard to beat it. I am thinking about some detachable mounts so I can use the sights. reflex264
Posted By: reflex264 Re: Well I bought a 798 .375 - 05/01/10
Originally Posted by Fotis
Can I help?

I wish. I have pleaded for years to let me make up a team. Nope. I am trying to shoehorn my BIL in right now. It is at least a 2 person job. We have to get them out of the fields after we shoot them without damaging crops. Not an easy task. reflex264
Posted By: reflex264 Re: Well I bought a 798 .375 - 05/02/10
I finally shot it. I used Federal 270gr factory loads. I didn't have to touch the sights. Right on the money. With my bad eyes I was able to keep shots touching at 50 yards offhand. I did a speed drill at 25 yards. We didn't time it but in around 4 seconds I put 3 shots in the bulls nose and they were in a cluster just under an inch. I am very hesitent to do anything to this rifle. I am going to load up some 3oogrs pretty stiff this coming week and see what happens. Boys I am impressed. reflex264
Posted By: pinotguy Re: Well I bought a 798 .375 - 05/02/10
reflex264,

Sounds good and seems like you have a nice one on your hands. I'm more interested myself after hearing your results as I've been looking at the USSG/EAA Z98 series of rifles. My understanding is that they are now the importer for the Zastava actions and rifles, so this is good news to hear.

(Funny how such a well-regarded product can't seem to find a long-term importer here in the U.S.)
Posted By: pinotguy Re: Well I bought a 798 .375 - 05/02/10
Originally Posted by atkinson
I don't see how you could go wrong..It is a commercial FN action

Ray,

Not trying to second-guess you here, but are you sure the Zastava/Interarms Mark X/Rem. 798/whatever-it's-called-now was an FN commercial copy. I have always been under the impression that these were a proprietary Mauser 98 clone that used original German tooling, dies, dimensions, etc. I could very well be mistaken but I did not believe that these were made following the Belgian model. There are so many M98 derivatives out there though, the lineage can get pretty blurry.
Posted By: Dinosaur Re: Well I bought a 798 .375 - 05/03/10
I have the same rifle, after about 4 boxes of ammo through it the action and bolt are about as smooth as you could ask for! I was pretty disappointed with the durability and consistency of the front hooded sight, but it didn't matter as i put a luepold vx2 3-9x40mm and dropped the "hood ornament" open sights off it it, has a 700 ADL limbsaver pad and i can shoot it all day! very accurate rifle. I've been toying with the idea of putting a thumbhole stock on it..... Would be unusual for the caliber to say the least, but more comfortable than the laminate stock it came with
has a 700 ADL limbsaver pad and i can shoot it all day!
Did you get a pre-fit pad for this rifle? I want to replace the factory pad on my .458 with a pre-fit pad of some sort, but am unsure which one to order.
Posted By: 3sixbits Re: Well I bought a 798 .375 - 05/07/10
After reading all the bad things that have been put out about the bigger bore 798 It is indeed nice to see all the good things being said about this rifle. I was completely turned off about this rifle until now.
Posted By: OSOK Re: Well I bought a 798 .375 - 05/07/10
[Linked Image]

BUT....

[Linked Image]

Posted By: fremont Re: Well I bought a 798 .375 - 05/09/10
Originally Posted by reflex264
This one already has two cross bolts. I am thinking of leaving teh externals alone and having gatlin do the action and bedding. For the price it would be very hard to beat it. I am thinking about some detachable mounts so I can use the sights. reflex264
Have you seen the bedding yet? Substantial. Plus, in a really cool aquamarine blue!
I was looking at buying one of these on sale from CDNN. I'm glad to see that the performance is good. I was going to have a 1917 Remington Enfield action made into one, and I might still, but I have a lead on a buffalo hunt that time might be of the essence. So I won't have time to wait on it being put together.
Posted By: reflex264 Re: Well I bought a 798 .375 - 05/15/10
Well I am still happy with it and it is still in one piece. If you shop around you can find them dirt cheap. I imagine it is impossible to build one even close to the price. I bought this one to have something cheaper to shoot with less recoil than my .416s. It is filling the bill nicely. reflex264
Posted By: SoTexasH Re: Well I bought a 798 .375 - 05/16/10
I thought seriously about getting one of those from CDNN, but didn't want the 26" barrel. Other than that it looked really good.
© 24hourcampfire