Home
Looking for some input on these Winchesters that were made in Japan.

Does anyone on here have one?? If so how to you like it? I was thinking about buying one.

I never could afford a real vintage 1886 in new cond. so I thought I might go this route.

I know...I know it's made in Japan don't beat me up...lol
I have a Browning Citori "made in Japan" and it's a fine gun.

[Linked Image]

They are just as high quality of a levergun as your Citori is an over under.

If you want one -buy it. They are not going to get any cheaper.
I have one of the Winchester "repo" 1886 Extra Light rifles in 45-70. It is a fine rifle. I put a Lyman receiver sight on it and the combination works well.
I have two, one field grade, the other High Grade. They're solid guns.
It needs a shotgun butt, 1/2 mag, solid receiver, and lose the tang safety.

Wonder if it's drilled for a receiver sight?

My Extra Light has a shotgun butt, half magazine, and a solid receiver. It is also drilled and tapped for a receiver sight. It does have the tang safety and a rebounding hammer. That doesn't bother me.
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
My Extra Light has a shotgun butt, half magazine, and a solid receiver. It is also drilled and tapped for a receiver sight. It does have the tang safety and a rebounding hammer. That doesn't bother me.

4 out of 5 is good! smile

I have one of the extra lights with half mag and I like enough that I am looking for another one to put a full tube mag on so I can have more in the tube.
they are well made and work just fine. Even if they are lawyer proofed.
I, too, have a "Winchester" USRAC/Miroku 1886 EL - 45/70. Very pleased with it. Had it for about 7 years. Could not stand the tang safety/rebounding hammer and the resulting annoying trigger. Turnbull Restorations fixed that for me ... trigger is now excellent and it has a half cock safety.

A really well made rifle. Very fun to shoot.

For the benefit of my tired old eyes, I've installed a Burris FastFire ll red dot sight on a Turnbull mount. Great set up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Endgame..

Nice rifle.

Please share with the class exactly what the Turnbull trigger /safety conversion alone for that rifle.

I am sure everyone here would like to know.
That mount looks like exactly what I need for my Browning/Miroku Model 71 in 348 Win. Say what you will about "Made in Japan" but Miroku makes a dang fine firearm.
I gotta stay up on this stuff. That 86 Extra Light is a better set up than the one in the OP, esp with the shotgun butt.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=024C&mid=534053

jim62 ....
The conversion to J Browning original system was $350. Nice work. And fast. Now I have no gripes about the rifle. I expect she'll be a dandy 200 yard moose rifle for the river bottom country I hunt.
Are these as desirable:
http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/179097000/179097843/pix999968656.jpg
Originally Posted by Reloder28

I'd think that crescent butt would get to be a bit hard on the head (& shoulder) after a bit.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/default/shocked.gif
Hi the names Pete and I'M New but I do own one and I love it. Great with reloads of Hornady leverevo9lution 325 grn. FTX bullets. I am going to try to send a picture of it.
[img]"C:\Pics for Internet\Big Gun for Elk.jpg"[/img]
45-70 1886 Miroku with some extras.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I just traded for a "Japanese" Winchester. It is heavy but beautiful. Can someone tell me the date of manufacture?
Serial #ES0932
This rifle has never been fired and is in new condition.
Mines set up like dirtfarmer's but with an ivory bead front sight instead of fiber optic and I stripped the plastic finish off the stock and oil finished it. I also ditched the winchester parts for the hammer and trigger for browning parts and got a half cock notch and no rebounding hammer in return. I kept the safety but one day it will go to turnbull for CCH and the safety slot removed. Excellent shooter.
Originally Posted by drcrw
I just traded for a "Japanese" Winchester. It is heavy but beautiful. Can someone tell me the date of manufacture?
Serial #ES0932
This rifle has never been fired and is in new condition.

The 1886 Extra Light, like mine, has a nice feel, not too heavy. Although it's not real light, it feels about right.

DF
© 24hourcampfire