Home
Gents/Ladies,

I have the hankering for 375 H&H rifle. Thought I would open it up to you guys for your opinion on which one to go with. Not looking to start a Ford vs Chevy debate, but looking for those features, be it likes or dislikes, that can not be found on the spec sheets and most are not found until you have a some good quality trigger time invested in her. I did see an older post here comparing the CZ and Winchester and noted the CZ's may have some problems with stocks cracking---another post noted that the Encores stock angle is not the best for heavy recoiling rounds. That is the type of stuff I am looking for.

My name says my taste in rifles and I might just get a #1 in 375 H &H, but at this point I am leaning toward a bolt gun.

I am not looking to buy right now, but likely will some time next year. At this point the rifle will not have much of a purpose as my African Trip will likely not happen for many years, but I do have plans of one day going. So this will likely be a my go to gun for charging prairie dogs, coyotes, deer and maybe even hogs as they are moving in to my hunting area.
Posted By: RUMlover Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/02/10
Take a look at the winchester model 70 safari. Controlled round feed, sound construction, good looks, and a great platform if you ever decide to rechamber.
Posted By: colorado Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/02/10
I bought my CZ 550 with a bunch of extras in 375 H&H for $1100, had AHR do their CZ #1 upgrade ($500), then had it rebarreled to 500 Jeff. I have about $2200 in it, but it shoots sub MOA, functions great and is real pretty... but if I had to do it over again, I'd buy a new M70 in 375 H&H and start there ...

[Linked Image]
May I ask... What do you plan on hunting in Africa? Plains game or dangerous game? You will have fun embarking on this journey!!!
Posted By: GuyM Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/02/10
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My Number One about a pound less than what Ruger claims. It's short and handy, shoots quite accurately even out at 300 yards, and in the year and a half I've owned it has become one of my all-time favorite rifles. Seriously - no problem at all smacking the gongs at 300 yards with a 200 yard zero, and the bear got himself shot at just a tad over 300 yards.

I'm pretty much a new guy to the .375 H&H - but am absolutely impressed with both the cartridge and the rifle. Surprisingly mild recoil. Excellent accuracy. Good trajectory. Lots of punch downrange. And, well you know all the good stuff about a Ruger Number One. Compact, great handling, accurate, reliable... All that good Ruger Number One stuff.

Regards, Guy
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/02/10
I've had both the CZ 550 and the Model 70. I've still got the Model 70 grin One dimension that is different between the two actions is their respective depths. The 550 is a true magnum action, and is very deep, capable of handling as many as 6 375 cartridges down depending on how the magazine spring and follower are setup. The trade off for that is that the gun handles differently from most bolt actions, and carries differently in the hand. Not bad, just different. Frankly, I think the 550 is too big for the 375 and I prefer the Model 70 in that caliber.

Here's a pic that should illustrate what I'm talking about regarding action depth.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: GuyM Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/02/10
That Model 70 is a fine looking rifle... No doubt!
I've had a No.1 in 375H&H and really liked both the handling and accuracy of the rifle. It was an early model with very nice wood. I now have a pre-64 M-70 in 375 H&H and much prefer it for the role I intend for it - DG hunting.

Although I like single shots (and have several) I don't consider that action type the best choice for DGRs and much favor a bolt for that purpose. This M-70 just happens to be a favorite.
I've owned a CZ that I even had the stock reshaped and it was still too much. Personally, it's all a matter of perception to the hunter. For my money, I have determined that the Whitworth Express embodies the feel of a 375 I am looking for. I believe the same feel could be done with a M70.
For hunting anything, in any weather conditions, I'll stick with my Win M70 .375 H&H Classic Stainless....

Might not be as 'pretty' as the wood/blue versions, but I don't care.

[Linked Image]
This is great info.

SWfivehundred--I will most likely hunt plains game the first time I go. However, DG is also part of my dream, but would likely be on another trip. Would like to wait until my girls are old enough to go and take the whole family.

The Winchester has been my pick based on looks alone--but have not handled any of them, as the local gun shops does not stock these calibers. Mguy that is a nice #1 and a nice bear.

Looking around online, I see Browning and Kimber have 375 H&H rifles. Not much for the look of the Browning, but again haven't seen or handled one. The Kimber looks nice and appears to compare well with the Winchester as far as the lines of the rifle go. What does the Kimber offer that would justify the extra money?

Are there any other rifles out there I have missed that are worth a look?

Late Add: I see a Sako Kodiak on gun broker that is a nice looking rifle as well--Anyone have any experience with this rifle?
Posted By: logcutter Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/02/10
I to just went with the Winchester classic.I am not 100% happy with the current scope(VX-11/2-7X) so far forward.I have to stretch abit on 7X with heavy clothes.

[Linked Image]

Jayco
there's a whitworth alaskan on gunsinternational i believe for 6 and change. hold on, here you go: http://www.gunsinternational.com/Interarms-Whitworth-Alaskan-375-H-H.cfm?gun_id=100149297

good, solid mauser action rifles.

logcutter, is that your predominant hunting arm now?
It maybe JS..I like it alot.Kick's about the same as my Ruger 77 in .300 Win Mag and 45-70 Guide Gun plus it weighs in about the same as my .300 Mag, unofficially.

It sure has my attention but I am in the learning faze now.I have to measure my other scopes and see if I can't get a longer one on it.

Sold a nice Lance camper to get it,so I will be using it.

Jayco
is everything on it factory, jayco?
Yeah..I bought it from an old forum friend who is pretty anal about his firearms.It has Leupold QD rings and bases and the rest of my rifles have Warne QD's..Bummer on that part.

All in all,it seems to be a great rifle in my somewhat limited experience with it, and I am a Winchester nut.I own more Winchester shotguns and rifles than anything else.

Jayco
gotcha. pretty potent elk medicine I imagine.
Originally Posted by singleshothunter
The Kimber looks nice and appears to compare well with the Winchester as far as the lines of the rifle go. What does the Kimber offer that would justify the extra money?

Krieger barrel, NECG sites, Gentry barrel band, better synthetic stock, lighter weight.
Posted By: maddog Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/02/10
Well, best choice or not, my son and I are taking a pair of 375 H&H mag, Ruger no.1's to Zim, for a DG hunt next August.

[Linked Image]

mine.

[Linked Image]

his, with a 2-7x leupold VX II on board.

To each his own. It's a hellava caliber.

maddog
Posted By: ingwe Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/02/10
And nary a Bubba Buddy in sight..... grin
Posted By: vacrt2002 Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/02/10
Rem700 DG, mcmillan, zeiss = big bugeyes!~

[Linked Image]

How about a Whitworth? grin

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by ingwe
And nary a Bubba Buddy in sight..... grin

you just wait.....laugh

maddog
Cretin! laugh
that whitworth is the tits. quintessential 375 packaging IMO.

more pics for us to drool over?
How's dis? grin

[Linked Image]

or dis? smile

[Linked Image]

Thanks for lookin!
Dang Ingwe, how old is that pic? Ya still got hair, and it's dark! whistle grin

maddog
You guys have mentioned the Whitworth a couple of times now--I know nothing of this rifle or maker--How does it stack up?

I do love those #1's. If I happen to find one in 375 H&H, it might just come home with me--but I am trying to tell myself I need a bolt gun for this application.

10 years..... frown

Bastid.....

grin
Posted By: SteveG Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/02/10
I've shot 375s in Rem 700, Mausers, and A-bolts. The caliber is my favorite. Pick out a rifle that is comfortable on your cheek and aligns easily when using the irons, then add a quck-detachable base/rings system and a low power variable scope 1-4X or so. It will work for everything on this planet bigger than squirrels.
The Interarms Whitworth's are nice rifles indeed.

Back in '05 I went to Namibia with three other gentleman. One of which carried a Whitworth .375 H&H. I hoisted it to my shoulder a time or two, and have to say that I really liked the feel, balance and weight. Very trim and pointed fast.

I carried a CZ550 Safari Magnum, and the weight, balance and feel was atrocious. Felt "clubbish" and ungainly.

Only aspect I'd change on the Interarms is the safety. I wonder if there's available aftermarket to swap out the standard safety for a M70 type 3-posi safety? Ingwe??
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/02/10
You can swap out the safety on commercial mausers. Its the first thing I do on mine.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/03/10
Originally Posted by FOsteology
The Interarms Whitworth's are nice rifles indeed.
I wonder if there's available aftermarket to swap out the standard safety for a M70 type 3-posi safety? Ingwe??
I'm sure there is Fost, its a pretty pedestrian commercial mauser..but it was never an isure for me so I just danced with the one that brung me... grin
Posted By: BCBrian Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/03/10
At the risk of sounding like a Sako salesman - my Synthetic Stainless Sako 85 - in 375 H&H Magnum is BY FAR the best factory rifle I've ever owned, handled, borrowed, or shot - in over 40 years of collecting guns.

Where do I start? Mine is really really light for a 375 (at only 7lbs), but it attenuates recoil - to an amazing degree. I'd rather shoot mine over my 7mm STW, my 300 Magnums, and even my old Remington 760 in 30-06. They all hurt. This rifle doesn't. I put that to great stock design and the patented recoil pad system. Not a lot of guys want to shoot a 7 pound 375 H&H. I shoot the heads off of grouse with mine. I just want any excuse to shoot it!

I also like the grippy sticky rubber inserts in the stock. They are very easy to grip - and they are warm when the temperature drops way down low.

It's trigger is flawless, light, smooth and crisp.

It's accuracy is stunning - out of the box (with the cheapest factory ammo I could buy) mine fulfilled it's amazing accuracy guarantee of five shots in an inch @ 100 metres. How many other companies guarantee that?

I feeds slicker than goose poop on ice. It never misfeeds - upside down, right-side up, left-side up, barrel-up, barrel down - you name it. It feeds as fine as a rifle can, while feeling so smooth it makes you wonder if it chambered a round.

It has a fantastic clip design. Mine holds 4 375 H&H rounds in the non-protruding clip. Plus, the clip design is flawless. It can't fall out, and it takes only a practiced second for one hand to instinctively operate it.

My only regret is that I didn't own 10 more - in all the other cartridges I'd like to own it in. That, and the fact it's not cheap at around $1700. But after trying one, I'd think most would be convinced they now own a rifle worth owning for life, and one worth every penny.
Posted By: AK_ARCHER Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/03/10
I really like my Kimber Talkeetna .375 h&h. Kevlar/Fiberglass stock, NECG sights, holds 4+1 rounds, CRF action, 24" barrel, barrel band, 3 position safty, runs right at 8 lbs w/no scope. I liked it enought to buy it when I was 16, took me a hard 10-11 months of working my butt off, and spending very little money. The only thing I would buy was gun magazines. At $2,000 it was a lot money for a 16 year old kid, but I am very happy with the gun, the bummer is that it's down with a busted stock.

That was my 2 cents
Must be an interesting story behind that busted stock. Was it due to the bedding or external forces? smile
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/03/10
The Whitworth may be the "best buy"out there in a wood stocked 375. I have never owned one but have shot several owned by friends and they are solid,accurate and dependable rifles.They cleares British proofing before they were sold,and are worth far more than what you pay for them.

My old favorite 375 is a pre 64 M70 H&H action with a a Krieger 410 stainless barrel in a Brown Precision stock. It dates back to the 80's and is a bug hole shooter.A weight of 8 pounds, scoped,makes it suitable to carry about anywhere.Any time I have taken it somewhere,the guides all try to buy it.Friends,too..... grin

Hard to beat a M70 Classic in SS for goof proof reliablity,accuracy and usefulness IMHO.They could do with a slightly lighter barrel in my opinion but they are comfy to shoot and accurate as well.It is also hard to beat a pre 64 M70 in 375H&H and if you have one,you have a real jewel.

A buddy emailed me with pics of an elk he killed this week with the lefty 375 I helped him spec and build.It's on a M70 Classic LH action,a #4 Lilja,and Brown Precision stock,and came in at under 8 pounds scoped.He said he had offers to sell the rifle there,too......there is something about a light,handy 375 that makes guys all gooey wink
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/03/10
Keep in mind when buying a 375Mag that many out there are quite heavy. A 375 is right between 8.5-9lbs scoped. Recoil isn't bad, so the extra weight on heavier guns is a drag. Long barrels are not needed either. A 22" tube handles so much better and the lose in velocity is near nill. My 22" 375CT gets 2700fps easy with 270s.

Many recommend a CRF, but in reality any 700 long action with proper loads will make a reliable rifle in any chambering. Never could figure out why my 270 in a 700 action was ok, but my 375Magnum in the same action was going to fail me.

Originally Posted by BobinNH
Hard to beat a M70 Classic in SS for goof proof reliablity,accuracy and usefulness IMHO.They could do with a slightly lighter barrel in my opinion but they are comfy to shoot and accurate as well.It is also hard to beat a pre 64 M70 in 375H&H and if you have one,you have a real jewel.

I have one of those as well. Nice rifle, but they are front heavy. I think a shorter bbl with a bit of contouring would help.

Posted By: BobinNH Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/03/10
I agree.....they can be lighter. Personally I'd take and duplicate the contour on a Ruger hawkeye African. I think it's about perfect.
8 or so all up loaded and ready to rock is by my way of thinking about model perfecto for a 375.

Anyone else use the 260 Noz Pt a bit besides me?

Dober
Posted By: logcutter Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/03/10
Even though I bought a bunch of 260 Accubonds,my to go bullet is going to be the 260 Partition which I have somewhere around 60 right now.I have a load I'm after from Jim Clopton(don't quote me without looking back)of 73 grains of RL-15 for 2800 fps and they all group within an inch at 100.We'll see how it works up in my rifle.

He calls it his 300 yard Moose bullet.

Jayco
I have a lefthand model 70. One thing I really like about this rifle is the barrel length. The original owner had it shortened by two inches and it just seems right at 22". The trigger is also very good. It carries in the hand well, but it is on the heavy side. I like the idea of a .375 that comes in at 8lbs. Maybe this will be my first custom rifle-a lefthand sub 9lbs. .375 cool
I agree.....they can be lighter. Personally I'd take and duplicate the contour on a Ruger hawkeye African. I think it's about perfect.

What's the OD @ the muzzle on them?

Posted By: boatboy Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/03/10
Originally Posted by BCBrian
At the risk of sounding like a Sako salesman - my Synthetic Stainless Sako 85 - in 375 H&H Magnum is BY FAR the best factory rifle I've ever owned, handled, borrowed, or shot - in over 40 years of collecting guns.

Where do I start? Mine is really really light for a 375 (at only 7lbs), but it attenuates recoil - to an amazing degree. I'd rather shoot mine over my 7mm STW, my 300 Magnums, and even my old Remington 760 in 30-06. They all hurt. This rifle doesn't. I put that to great stock design and the patented recoil pad system. Not a lot of guys want to shoot a 7 pound 375 H&H. I shoot the heads off of grouse with mine. I just want any excuse to shoot it!

I also like the grippy sticky rubber inserts in the stock. They are very easy to grip - and they are warm when the temperature drops way down low.

It's trigger is flawless, light, smooth and crisp.

It's accuracy is stunning - out of the box (with the cheapest factory ammo I could buy) mine fulfilled it's amazing accuracy guarantee of five shots in an inch @ 100 metres. How many other companies guarantee that?

I feeds slicker than goose poop on ice. It never misfeeds - upside down, right-side up, left-side up, barrel-up, barrel down - you name it. It feeds as fine as a rifle can, while feeling so smooth it makes you wonder if it chambered a round.

It has a fantastic clip design. Mine holds 4 375 H&H rounds in the non-protruding clip. Plus, the clip design is flawless. It can't fall out, and it takes only a practiced second for one hand to instinctively operate it.

My only regret is that I didn't own 10 more - in all the other cartridges I'd like to own it in. That, and the fact it's not cheap at around $1700. But after trying one, I'd think most would be convinced they now own a rifle worth owning for life, and one worth every penny.

We should have a rifle or two that we love soo much

Hank
So, thinking of selling it eh?
and 4+1
Posted By: ssphoger Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/03/10
I had a Rem 700 with a cut 22" barrel started out with the Rem. syn. stock at 7lbs it kicked a bit much so I glued a 11 oz. mercury reducer in the butt and foamed it full.It shot and handled great. Sadly sold it to a outfitter.
Now have a Blaser R93 with a cut down 22" barrel around 8lbs and realy like it. She puts 5 260gr Accubonds in 1.3" at 200 yds
Can't wait to get some fur in the scope with this one.
Posted By: AK_ARCHER Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/04/10
Very sad story, I rolled my 4X4. I was driving my dad was on the back. We came to a small, steep, and very rocky hill. Made it about half way up, and then I let off the gas and then hit it agin. The front came over and we jumped off, but my muzzel got caught in the front rack ( our guns were slung over our backs ) and the butt was drove in to the rocks. The stock busted in half right behind the triger group. The gun still works as it did befor, it's at gun smith right now getting the barrel checked just to be sure. So it was my fault.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/04/10
Originally Posted by SuperCub

SC: I dunno, but they are for sure more slender than a M70,and are about like my Krieger,which is just a skosh heavier than a #4 IIRC.
Posted By: Sevens Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/04/10
I've got the CZ-550 in 375 H&H. I redid the stock and had Wayne at AHR do some modifications and upgrades. The two things I don't like about it are that it is quite a bit heavy and the barrel is rather long. It weighs less than the Ruger RSM (which feel like a brick), but more than the M70. I think one of the biggest issues with the weight is Ruger, CZ, and Winchester use the same barrel contour on the 375 as they do the 416 and 458, thus, the 375 has more metal/weight in the barrel than a 458. The barrel length is easily shortened (and I wish I had Wayne do it while it was there). If you're any good at wood working, you can easily shave the stock down to something more svelte, the CZ stock has lots of wood on it.

I like a bolt gun as it's nice to have those extra rounds in the magazine. If you can find a Whitworth Express, that would be my number one choice. Any Zastava action (Z98, 798, Mark-X, Charles Daly, etc.) would work too. Would I get a CZ again ... yes, but I think the weight is better left for the 416 and bigger calibers.

Regardless of what you choose, I feel that you'll probably need to tweak and customize it a little. It may be simple like glass bedding and a new rear sight, but I feel like no factory DG rifle is perfect right from the get-go.

Here's my 375. I have the stock reinforced with crossbolts, glassbed, and a wrist pin. The CZ's did have issues with cracking stocks, but so have all the other major manufacturers. Here's an article I wrote on how you can reinforce your rifle's stock to help prevent it from cracking.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/04/10
Hers my take on it. For the average hunter/shooter a factory rifle is all you need. Nowadays most rifles are decent to good in quality.

Then you get the gun loons where factory isnt quite good enough, and it gets turned into a smith to be modified. depending on needs, wants, etc..your gonna dump some cash into it.

Why not just build one from scratch to your specs right from the get go? With todays economy and some looking around, you can find the parts for a decent price.

I just had a 375H&H built on a vz-24 action. I spent most of my budget on the metalwork and picked up a decent synthetic stock. For my needs, I went after the utilitarian route. shes not gonna win any awards for beauty but it fits my needs and I have well under 2K into it, and she works.

Just a thought.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/04/10
Originally Posted by SuperCub

SC: I dunno, but they are for sure more slender than a M70,and are about like my Krieger,which is just a skosh heavier than a #4 IIRC.

I scored a new McMillan Supergrade for my stainless M70 yesterday for under $300. Proper contour w/pillars and a Limbsaver. smile

Posted By: BobinNH Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/05/10
SC: Sounds like you are GTG!That should be nice!
Posted By: Old_Crab Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/08/10
My best advice is to look at and "mount" the great guns you have read about in the previous posts... All good guns. CZ, mod 70, Kimber, Ruger, Sako, etc.
All will have good actions, barrels and a history of great reliability.
When I did this, the classic super express model 70 "fit" me better than all else I tried... I also liked the manufacturing and attention to detail I saw in the CZ, but it just didn't "feel right" and didn't give me the immediate sight picture when I put the gun up.
I also got lucky, when my 4-shot-groups have been averaging under one inch with 270 grain hornady spire points and 71 grains of RL 15... it's the gun, not me.
Good luck in your quest...fun times.
Posted By: Old_Crab Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/08/10
Forgot to add one detail... read some earlier posts which pointed at "stock problems" with the CZ... The new CZ 375 has two cross bolts in the stock, and I doubt if any splitting would now occur... I think CZ has improved the old design. (just saw this last week)
I have owned a couple Remington M700 BDL/SS in 375. They are one hard-kicking sumbich. An R3 pad helped the shoulder pain, but the scope hit my face. The knurled floorplate latch inside the trigger guard took skin off my knuckle, so I ground it down to minimum size. I sold them both. Glad I don't need that much rifle. Not fun. The Ruger #1s aren't too bad. Still kick like a beast though.
Posted By: Tonk Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/10/10
I'll go with the Wincheater model 70 all the way to the bank!
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/10/10
Originally Posted by Tonk
I'll go with the Wincheater model 70 all the way to the bank!

wink
Posted By: GAP243 Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/11/10
I've got an old FN Browning Safari in 375, and it has been an extremely accurate and durable gun. Took my cape, kudu, elk and countless hogs with it. One of those guns that would never be sold.
Originally Posted by JS_LaCourse
there's a whitworth alaskan on gunsinternational i believe for 6 and change. hold on, here you go: http://www.gunsinternational.com/Interarms-Whitworth-Alaskan-375-H-H.cfm?gun_id=100149297

good, solid mauser action rifles.

logcutter, is that your predominant hunting arm now?

AWWWW Key-Rap! I think I just bought this one. A message was sent, and I'll see. whistle
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/15/10
I've been thinking about a 375 down the road as well. From the few that I have shot, i've kinda got an idea of what I want. Right now I am thinking for my money and intended use the Remington 798 is the best deal going (Zastava action) NIB they are around $700, upgrade to a better stock and shorten the barrel to 24 or 22" and i'd be good to go.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/15/10
Originally Posted by 444Matt
I've been thinking about a 375 down the road as well. From the few that I have shot, i've kinda got an idea of what I want. Right now I am thinking for my money and intended use the Remington 798 is the best deal going (Zastava action) NIB they are around $700, upgrade to a better stock and shorten the barrel to 24 or 22" and i'd be good to go.

I've had them at 22", 24", 25" and 26". I'll never have a "keeper" over 22" again.

Posted By: 444Matt Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/15/10
I'm thinking the 260gr accubonds or partitions would be the chit on elk and other big critters.

Guy isn't that what you used on your bear out of your #1?

I shot a stock 798 with factory 270gr loads and it was down right pleasant recoil wise.

If I run into a large sum of money the Winchest model 70 safari classic is a beautiful rifle. Not sure If i'd go blue wood or stainless synthetic.
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/15/10
Originally Posted by GAP243
I've got an old FN Browning Safari in 375, and it has been an extremely accurate and durable gun. Took my cape, kudu, elk and countless hogs with it. One of those guns that would never be sold.

would love to have one of those with the long (mauser style) extractor..........
Posted By: GuyM Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/16/10
Matt - yes, 260 Accubond at a modest 2620 fps, from a mild charge of RL-15. One shot at a bit over 300 yards, full penetration and the bear fell instantly. We found him under some brush, he crawled about 6' after being hit, lost a lot of blood.
Posted By: txpete Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/17/10
I have been shooting alot of cast in mine so far.
pete

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/17/10
Great looking wood on that one Pete. What weight Cast boolits are you running and what kind of MV?
Posted By: txpete Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/17/10
275 gr with lube and gas check.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 9.3x62 Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/27/10
Whitworth 375 has been mentioned a few times I have one for sale, in Canada only, in a McMillan stock if anyone is interested
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/28/10
txpete: What load do you use with the 275 gas check bullets?
Posted By: medicman Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/28/10
PM sent
Randy
Posted By: ou76 Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/28/10
My favorite 375 is an ol' pre 64 Model 70 that has been all over North America...
Posted By: sactoller Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/28/10
My Browning Safari worked pretty well....

Stock refinish by our very own Karnis!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
...and one more, cuz I am shameless!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/28/10
The english red pad is skookum..... grin
A couple more, just for GuyM and Sactoller..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Those would be great photos, if you had your poobah hat on! whistle

Posted By: Karnis Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 12/28/10
Originally Posted by ingwe
A couple more, just for GuyM and Sactoller..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Look at the head on that one! grin

Yes, the Poobah hat is sorely missed in those photos...
I should know better... grin

I didnt wear my Poobah hat back when I had hair! cry

Couldnt help but notice Sactoller using a proper scope on his African .375...andddd...wearing a pseudo-Poobah shirt! grin
Oh, yes Grand Poobah, master of all he prevails! I wanted to be just like you, 'cept better looking! whistle

I would say...

Mission Accomplished! laugh
Us handsome devils, must stick together!
It's a curse more than a blessing, isn't it..? wink
Posted By: 9.3x62 Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 01/16/11
adding to my previous post I have a Whitworth 375 H+H for sale in Canada in a McMillan stock I would sell it as a barreled action if anyone has a better stock idea and a M70 Gentry safety available for it
Posted By: GF1 Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 01/17/11
In factory get-up, I think the Ruger RSM has no peers.

In fact, there's one at a fire sale price in the 'Fire classifieds right now...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...5/Ruger_77_RSM_Magnum_375H_H#Post4828055
Posted By: whelennut Re: Comparing 375 H&H Rifles - 01/17/11
sactoller that is one pretty rifle! If it was mine I would name it Viagra! grin
whelennut
© 24hourcampfire