Home
Posted By: gunchamp howa 1500 375 ruger? - 01/23/11
Anyone have any experience with these or know anything about them? I have the chance to buy one for under $500 new and am curious what you guys think. I already have a 375 but price seems too good to pass up. I think they are push feed but I really dont care because this would not be an african gun.(already got lots of those) Thanks fo any info.
Posted By: logcutter Re: howa 1500 375 ruger? - 01/23/11
As Craig Boddington put it...

The action is smooth, with positive feeding, a good safety and superb gas-porting design in case of a catastrophic failure. This last is very unlikely; the Howa 1500 is a wonderfully strong action.

Jayco
Posted By: gunchamp Re: howa 1500 375 ruger? - 01/24/11
Anyone know why these are so cheap? I'm finding them in the $450-550 range. They seem like solid rifles from my limited experience.
Posted By: pa_gus Re: howa 1500 375 ruger? - 01/24/11
sshhhh! don't tell anybody wink
Posted By: Homesteader Re: howa 1500 375 ruger? - 01/24/11
Gunchamp - would hazard a guess about HOWA's being inexpensive (nothing's "cheap" anymore). Not a widely known brand name, outside of rifle circles, as are Remington or Winchester. They're foreign (Japanese) made and few may know that Weatherby Vanguards are manufactured by HOWA as were Smith & Wesson M1500 or Mossberg M1500 in their day. I've several HOWA's and they are a very good value for the $$ spent i.e. accurate and well constructed. Homesteader.
Posted By: gunchamp Re: howa 1500 375 ruger? - 01/24/11
Yes, the weatherby van is made by them. I've owned a couple and they were great shooters. You typically see that anything over the 338 win mag normally jacks the price of the gun up some. Just seems odd to find a 375 ruger for that price in a good gun.
Posted By: Fotis Re: howa 1500 375 ruger? - 01/26/11
Originally Posted by logcutter
As Craig Boddington put it...

The action is smooth, with positive feeding, a good safety and superb gas-porting design in case of a catastrophic failure. This last is very unlikely; the Howa 1500 is a wonderfully strong action.

Jayco

+1 Great Guns!
Posted By: whelennut Re: howa 1500 375 ruger? - 01/28/11
Check out a Weatherby Vanguard, if you like those you will like the Howa.
Posted By: mudhen Re: howa 1500 375 ruger? - 01/28/11
That is a very good price for a .375 H&H and, as everyone had said, there certainly are no flies on Howa rifles. I have had several Vanguards and still have my favorite, a .300 Wby. My only gripe is that they are heavy, but that's not bad in a .375 H&H.

I bought a blued/synthetic .223 Howa ("inexpensively") about ten years ago. It was one of the most accurate out of the box rifles I have ever acquired. One of my stepsons talked me out of it and he still has it. This is a guy that never cleans his rifles. They only leave his truck when he is using them or when he buys a new truck and has to transfer them. It is still very accurate, all things considered.
Posted By: gunchamp Re: howa 1500 375 ruger? - 01/29/11
Its actually a 375 ruger. I've owned multiple weatherby vans. They have all been good.I think I might grab one of these 375's even though I have one in a m77 already. To good of a price.
Posted By: mudhen Re: howa 1500 375 ruger? - 01/29/11
OK, I have resolved to work on my reading comprehension--Sorry! (I still think that you should buy it if you want a .375.)
Posted By: 338rcm Re: howa 1500 375 ruger? - 01/29/11
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Anyone know why these are so cheap? I'm finding them in the $450-550 range. They seem like solid rifles from my limited experience.

Some good deals on these on Gunbroker. I would have to replace the Hougue stock though
I found a (very slightly) used 1500 in .338 WM for $199 at a Gander Mountain several years ago. I replaced the Tupperware stock with a Boyd's laminated job, played with the bedding until I was satisfied, and topped it with a used Leupold 4X/m8. Wonderful rifle on the cheap. I love Howa's.

PC
I have a Howa in .204 Ruger. A long way from a .375 in chambering, but I will say: I have a lot of rifles without looking at the name the Howa holds its own in quality and ruggedness with the likes of Remington, Winchester, Ruger, and CZ. I have been considering one of the new .375 Rugers as well. I have been holding out for the classing H&H in a WInchester but with the Howa at under half the price, I am certainly considering one.
Posted By: whelennut Re: howa 1500 375 ruger? - 01/31/11
I don't have any 375 Rugers but I have a Howa in 7mm magnum and a Howa .223 bull barrel. I bought them for my sons to use as hunting rifles. Japanese seem to have learned how to make a quality product for less than the US can do it.
I would jump on it if you like the caliber!
whelennut
Posted By: pinotguy Re: howa 1500 375 ruger? - 02/02/11
I just ordered one of these in 375 Ruger and should pick it up next week. Will let you know. We were issued Howa 1500's at the gunsmithing school and they are a terrific action for the money, certainly one of the best values out there.
Posted By: gunchamp Re: howa 1500 375 ruger? - 02/02/11
Great. Would love to know how it shoots. Keep me posted please. Thanks.
Posted By: old_willys Re: howa 1500 375 ruger? - 02/07/11
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Anyone have any experience with these or know anything about them? I have the chance to buy one for under $500 new and am curious what you guys think. I already have a 375 but price seems too good to pass up. I think they are push feed but I really dont care because this would not be an african gun.(already got lots of those) Thanks fo any info.

I can order one at $380 right now...what a price for a 375 Ruger!!
Posted By: 405wcf Re: howa 1500 375 ruger? - 02/07/11

I can order one at $380 right now...what a price for a 375 Ruger!![/quote]

For $380 you can afford to put a Mickey on it now, and have a really neat rifle!

405wcf
Posted By: gunchamp Re: howa 1500 375 ruger? - 02/08/11
Care to pass on the info on where the $380 howa is? grin
Posted By: Oldfenderguy Re: howa 1500 375 ruger? - 02/08/11
It appears that the Howa .375 Ruger is available in both 'blued' and 'stainless', with 20" barrels and Sand, Green, or Black Hogue overmolded stocks.

The MSRP for the blue models is $550, and only $650 for the stainless models.

I'd like to see one of the the black stocked stainless models.

Bud's has them listed, but currently shows them 'unavailable'.

The 'black/stainless' factory number is HGR63912.

Bud's usually sells new guns for less than MSRP so it will be interesting to see their pricing..
Posted By: idahoguy101 Re: howa 1500 375 ruger? - 02/19/11
Only if CRF is your personal requirement is the Howa at a disadvantage the Ruger for a 375 Ruger chamber rifle
Posted By: pinotguy Re: howa 1500 375 ruger? - 02/19/11
I just picked up one of the Black Hogue-stocked Howa 1500's in 375 Ruger. (I went with the 24" barrel and the blued finish.) I've yet to shoot it but am pretty impressed with the rifle so far, in terms of fit and finish. There are some things I plan on changing and/or adding but it's well put together. The first thing will be to replace the plastic follower with the aluminum version PTG is offering. (Synthetic followers are a major pet peeve for me.) I'll be re-stocking it with something soon (undecided at this point), although I am pleasantly surprised with the Hogue. Much better product than I anticipated. All of their various models are nice bargains too. I picked mine up for under $500.
© 24hourcampfire