Home
Anyone own one of these. Are they as good as the look? I'm shopping for a synthetic/stainless 375
Oldfenderguy has one and he loves it. I don't think he'd keep a rifle that doesn't shoot or operate well. I'm sure he'll add to what I've said.
I've owned one for 6 or 7 years and have found it to be a fine rifle. The factory tupperware stock should be replaced asap(I used a laminated stock), but other than that I would recommend picking one up if you can find one.
Thanks, the new M70 extreme weathers use Bell & Carlson stocks which I've only heard good things about, unfortunately they don't make one in 375 H&H. The one I found is pretty mint, only part of one box of shells through it, a safe queen. I think I'm gonna go for it.
I've got two of them.I think the barrel is to heavy so I had it turned down and a couple of inches cut off.Then had real sights put on and stuck it in a McMillan.Its my go to now.The other I bought for a 458 Lott project I've yet to do.
Well if I have to put a McMillan stock on it that adds about $600 to the cost of the gun. As far as the barrel being a bit heavy, that will let me put a mercury recoil reducer in the stock to add a bit of weight to the gun and get the balance right. Hmmmmm
no real need for the recoil reducer.

i cut mine to 21", and it still weighs 9.5# ready to hunt. still too much IMO.

[Linked Image]
Great rifles.....

Accurate, function perfectly, and are as fool proof and reliable as a hammer.

I have the 'original stock' on mine and in my opinion it's fine. Never found a need to upgrade the stock to anything else.

The open sights on mine are sighted in for 75 yards, and I use a Vortex Viper 2x7/32 on a Talley steel quick release mount..

The Win M70 Classic Stainless .375 H&H is an excellent rifle that will serve you well for a lifetime.

In fact the only two rifles I use for all my 'centerfire' hunting are my old Win M70 30-06 and my Win M70 375 H&H.

[Linked Image]
Sounds great. I like my rifles to balance at the mid point of the magazine, but that's just me. I have a chance to pick up a mint one. I think I'm going to jump on it. It will be my "light rifle" lol
I love mine. The smoothest action I've felt to date. It feeds great, shoots pretty accurate, and feels good in the hands.It came with the factory sock and I put on a HS- Precision Stock.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by toad
no real need for the recoil reducer.

i cut mine to 21", and it still weighs 9.5# ready to hunt. still too much IMO.

[Linked Image]

Where is the weight located? My pre64 375 H&H weighs 9.5, but it has a 25" BBL, wood stock, with scope and sling.
I've never had a model 70, it's about time. This will be my second 375 H&H. For my CZ 550, before I had it rebarreled to 500 Jeffery, I had a nice mild elk load worked up. 250g Swift A-Frames at 2700 fps.
The 375H&H Stainless Classic will fit the new Bell & Carlson Winchester Extreme Weather stock. If you know what you're doing, it will take only a few minutes of minor inletting. You will need a spacer for your 2-pc bottom metal, but if it were mine, I'd dump the 2-pc unit for a 1-pc unit. PTG is the current maker of the 1-pc bottom metal for SC Winchester, it is a drop-in fit with the EW stock, same as the older Williams unit.

Best smile
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

Where is the weight located? My pre64 375 H&H weighs 9.5, but it has a 25" BBL, wood stock, with scope and sling.

the center of balance is 6.5" foreward of the trigger. the freakin' Classic .375 barrel is a heavy pig.
I don't mind the weight of the Classic Stainless .375, and the heavy barrel works great when taking accurate quick multiple shots at groundhogs and other varmints. cool

[Linked Image]
yea, but i hate lugging dead weight up the mountain.

[Linked Image]
I love mine. With the tupperware stock I had a severe wandering zero problem due to the their stupid hot glue gun bedding goop in the recoil lug. The stuff cracked and would always move around. Looking back on it, I could use the factory stock if I was willing to add a few pounds of accraglass to fill up all the recesses in the stock so as to make a more normal bed.

I had the barrel whacked to 20.5 with the front sight remounted, then I put it in a McMillan supergrade stock with talley QDs and peep with a Leupold 1.75-6. I've only ever shot 300 grainers out of it, which are plenty flat out to 300. It's a touch heavy not bad. I've sorted out alot of critters with it though, so its grown on me. The more it grows on me,the less it weighs.

If you want a .375 I'd say get the Winchester.
Sounds good, I decided to wait a bit in the hope Winchester comes out with their Extreme Weather new Model 70 in 375 H&H. They're using a Bell & Carlson stock which I've only heard excellent reports on. I did pass on the contact info for the classic I found to the folks who asked for it.
Originally Posted by colorado
. . . I decided to wait a bit in the hope Winchester comes out with their Extreme Weather new Model 70 in 375 H&H. . . .

You may be in for a long wait. Had I been in your shoes, I would have taken the specimen you found, put a B&C Medalist on it, and been done with it. In the long run, I think you'd would have ended up $$ ahead AND have the gun to enjoy/shoot now AND not have to wonder when Winchester MIGHT decide to bring out a 375 H&H EW. JMHO.
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Originally Posted by colorado
. . . I decided to wait a bit in the hope Winchester comes out with their Extreme Weather new Model 70 in 375 H&H. . . .

You may be in for a long wait. Had I been in your shoes, I would have taken the specimen you found, put a B&C Medalist on it, and been done with it. In the long run, I think you'd would have ended up $$ ahead AND have the gun to enjoy/shoot now AND not have to wonder when Winchester MIGHT decide to bring out a 375 H&H EW. JMHO.

You may be right, but for now I'll have my 500 Jeffery restocked with the CZ Bell & Carlson stock, so I can switch back and forth between wood (for Western U.S. and Africa) and synthetic (Alaska), and do all my hunting with it.

I absolutely LOVE MINE!! One of the most accurate out of the box guns I have ever owned. It loves the barnes TSX 270 gr. and RE. 15. I put a B&C Ti stock on it and it is tolerable as far as the weight now. Great gun.
I used to own one. Like some others here, I found the barrel waaayyyy too heavy. It made the rifle very sluggish in the hands.
I have one in the safe but I've never shot it. It's in excellent shape and I'd probably sell it if someone wants it.

Bb
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I have one in the safe but I've never shot it. It's in excellent shape and I'd probably sell it if someone wants it.

Bb

Now he tells us . . . Where were you 8 months ago when I was looking and could afford one? laugh laugh
I have one for sale here in Canada. Gun is like new and comes with a new unfitted McMillan SG. I'm asking $1300/shipped, but no serious takers.

I may end up keeping it, get the bbl contour reduced and cut to 21".

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

McMillan next to original

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

wish the import/export thing wasn't such a hurdle.

i'd like that stock. hell, i'd like the package.
Originally Posted by trapperJ
I've got two of them.I think the barrel is to heavy so I had it turned down and a couple of inches cut off.Then had real sights put on and stuck it in a McMillan.

What was the weight when finished? OD @ the muzzle?

Thanks...

SuperCub I'm not sure off the top of my head.I'll weigh and measure when I get home.I'm away at at work right now and won't be home for another month or so.Usually bring that rifle with me but brought another instead.
I've got a Super Express that doesn't weigh too much, at least for the caliber. Seems to be a good rifle, but I have only had it for a month. Figured I needed a new squirrel rifle! I paid 800 for it and it is mint, did I do good or pay to much?
Originally Posted by RickF
I used to own one. Like some others here, I found the barrel waaayyyy too heavy. It made the rifle very sluggish in the hands.
Well, it's not meant for a fast swing like a skeet gun on station 8.. smile

When you have a .375" hole, you understand the need for some steel around it..
I've seen a lot of people talking about different stocks. I have an Thompson Center Icon .300 Win Mag with a Hogue over molded stock on it. You either love 'em or hate 'em. I love 'em sooooo.... I bought a Winchester Classic stainless with the tupperware stock. I'm having the barrel shortened to 20" (I've about had it fighting a long barrel through the alders!!!) and crowned, sights remounted, trigger job, Tally quick mounts put on, and a new Hogue overmolded full bed block camo stock cut to 13" (my ideal LOP) put on with a Pacmayr Decelerator pad. Should be the ideal rifle for me! I'll have it back in my hands soon and will post pictures.
I have one that been sitting in my safe for around 6 years. Mc Millan stock,accurized by Hill Country Rifles, 20 inch barrel, Tally rings and a Swarovski 1.5-6x42 Professional Hunter scope Shot it 3 times at paper Got a clover leave then put it in my safe and it been sitting there ever since, Great rifle Someday I may bring it out again
Hello Chuck, I thought you had a .375-Weatherby? Well, I have one in a model 70 Winchester and it is one heck of a caliber, shooting Swift A Frame bullets.
the essential difference between the two being more range from the 'bee? If so, my 2ed Ammo and Ballistics II on pg 209 cites a 375 H&H load using a 300 gr SBT with a G1 BC of .641. Launched at 2550 fps it brings a ton of energy to the 600 yard line and a precipitous drop of some 80 odd inches I believe. Just wondering how much the 'bee could improve upon this to make enough difference to really matter?
Originally Posted by Tonk
Hello Chuck, I thought you had a .375-Weatherby? Well, I have one in a model 70 Winchester and it is one heck of a caliber, shooting Swift A Frame bullets.

I will soon, I bought a Remington XCR II in 375 H&HH (stainless/synthetic), which is being rechambered to 375 Weatherby as we speak. It had some problems out of the box (Remington quality control has definitely taken a dive), so I'm having a Sako extractor put in, the bolt handle welded on (a precaution recommended by my gunsmith) and the rifle is being rechambered to 375 Weatherby. Luckily I got it for $600 brand new, so it will be an upgraded Rem 700 in 375 Weatheby for about $1000. I should get it back in the next two weeks.
© 24hourcampfire