Home
Posted By: Polska Solids VS FMJ hornady DGS - 05/22/11
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Solids and Full metal jacket bullets on dangerous game such as the Hornady Dangerous game series which is a copper clad steel jacket surround a hard lead core. I'm wondering if one is better then the other. Does the hornaday DGS ever deform because of it's core?

Posted By: Labman95 Re: Solids VS FMJ hornady DGS - 05/22/11
Not alot of experience on my part, but I did shoot one elephant with the Barnes banded solid 400 Gr. 416 bullet from my Rigby and it worked great. The PH was very impressed with the penetration. I have no experience with the new Hornady solid, but everything I've read about them here and on www.accuratereloading.com has been positive.
Posted By: 458Win Re: Solids VS FMJ hornady DGS - 05/22/11
Hornady has made a lot of solids over the past twenty years and most of them are quite good and some exceptional. The original steel jacketed RN solids were/are super but the encapsulated ones with the thick brass jacket received some bad press from some quarters in Africa.
The newest flat nosed DGS solids with the steel jackets were reported to sometimes split. Zim PH Don Heath suspected it was due to the corner of the flat meplat striking bone and channeling the impact, causing the jacket to tear.
Most reports coming out now are very favorable as they hold up well and penetrate quite straight. If you use a bolt rifle however just make sure they feed 100%
I used the Hornady 300 grain .375 solids in my H&H for years and they accounted for many moose, cairbou, and black tails.
Can not complain about the performance as I never recovered one.
© 24hourcampfire