Home
I think one of these should fill the bill, or do we "need" another cartridge?
whelennut
Or all of them......;)

Better all of them, cause they are not in the same class except caliber.
If one had an H&H, there would be no "need" for any of them.
But what does "need" have to do with it?
The Steyr is "odd" and will be difficult to find. The Ruger and Dakota both will fit in a standard lenght action, both have more power than the H&H, and are interchangable in power. The Rem is more power and more action and MORE RECOIL.

Your choice.
I wonder if anyone has enough stamina to wear out the .375 RUM.
I'm betting a new one might come with a box of 19 rounds of factory ammo. I found a box of .458 ammo at a gun show that way once. wink
whelennut - in order of preference: the grand old 'Holland and Holland Magnum' (just love the way that rolls off the tongue);.375 Ruger...the rest are of no consequence. Regards, Homesteader.
I almost pulled the trigger on a 375 Ruger a few days ago. Cabelas had 20" three matte synthetics priced between $599 and $649. I may go back as that is dirt cheap for a fine caliber/rifle combo IMO.
375 Weatherby ...
Hey Tony just so your aware those rifles cabelas has are factory refurbs and that is NOT stainless steel under the black finish. Not that it makes a big difference most of the time, just wanted you to be aware if you weren't already.
Originally Posted by whelennut
I think one of these should fill the bill, or do we "need" another cartridge?
whelennut
.........Any one will fill the bill. However, if another 375 round is intro`d, then so what. Leave it to the shooting public to decide any acceptance or need levels; that (A), either of the existing 375s have; or (B), that a new one receives.

Of all the 375s, my two top preferences are the 375 Ruger followed by the H&H.
i've a .376 Steyr, a .375 H&H AI, and a .375 RUM, and i'm starting to think about a .375 WSM on a Kimber Montana.
Originally Posted by helidriver72
Hey Tony just so your aware those rifles cabelas has are factory refurbs and that is NOT stainless steel under the black finish. Not that it makes a big difference most of the time, just wanted you to be aware if you weren't already.

Thanks for the info as I was not aware. For my purposes the non-SS is fine. I am thinking a mannlicher build on one.
About 7 years ago I sold my 700 Rem Clasic in .375 H&H and bought a 700 Rem Stainless in .375 RUM. I put it in a Richards Laminate stock with a Limbsaver pad and a mechanical recoil reducer, had a KDF brake installed, and set the trigger to 2 1/2 lbs. I topped it with a 2-7x Leupold. It likes 300 gr TSX bullets at 2800 fps and 270 gr TSX bullets at 3040 fps.

I've taken it to Africa twice and taken a variety of critters from Steenbok to Buffalo with it at ranges of 30 to 348 yds including several from prone positions with no problems.

I love that rifle, and just wish we had critters here in North America beside Alaska's big bears that need that much power. If I could afford to hunt all of the big game animals of the world but could only use one rifle, I would use my .375 RUM.
I just had my Rem XCR II rechambered from 375 H&H to 375 Weatherby (300g Nosler Partition at 2800 fps). I'm taking it brown bear hunting in Sept., but plan to elk hunt with it too. 250g Swift A-Frames at 3000 fps should do the job on elk, and shoot pretty flat too...
Colorado - my question for you, as I have this same rifle (M700 XCRII), can you fire-form standard H&H rounds so you end up with .375 Weatherby brass? Regards, Homesteader
Yes, absolutely. You can also shoot regular 375 H&H rounds through a 375 Weatherby Mag safely. You'll lose a bit of velocity but not accuracy.
Chuck - thanks for confirming that detail as I have a quantity of standard H&H cases usable for practice fodder. Regards, Homesteader.
Here's a Wiki link by the way confirming it, The 375 Weatherby is essentially a 375 H&H improved with the Weatherby shoulder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.375_Weatherby_Magnum
The 375 H&H Magnum will be 100 years old in 2012.
I guess that is public acceptance. grin
whelennut
whelennut - IF manufacturers do for the .375H&H what was done for both the .30/06 and M1911, when they turned 100 y/o, we shall be awash with new offerrings...not a bad situation at all. Regards, Homesteader.
Originally Posted by Homesteader
whelennut - IF manufacturers do for the .375H&H what was done for both the .30/06 and M1911, when they turned 100 y/o, we shall be awash with new offerrings...not a bad situation at all. Regards, Homesteader.
.............Oh good! The 375 Ruger came out in 2007, 5 years ahead the H&H`s 100 year anniversary coming next year. Whew! That was close!

Awash with new offerings? Ssssh! Don`t tell Hornady and Ruger that, cuz imo, it wouldn`t have really mattered what the H&H manufacturers had done; whether they had done whatever with the H&H back in `07 or coming up in 2012.

I know that you diehard 375 H&H fans don`t wish to share the market with other 375s. Looks like you`re just gonna have to get over that somehow! cry..Maybe a `lil therapy? grin

Nothing wrong with new offerings. Let the market decide what it likes and accepts and what it will reject, letting the cow chips fall where they may.
You forgot the "king"

378 Bee! If you have this you have all else.
BigSqueeze - Party Pooper LOL. Regards, Homesteader
Originally Posted by Fotis
......Well yes,,,and no!

It may the king in ballistic terms, but it certainly isn`t in the inventory of most 375 owners.

Helps to have a rifle where one can enjoy shooting at least 20 rounds from the bench per session? Most would be lucky to handle only 5 to 10 rounds using a 378 Bee.

Some kings can be impractical.

Originally Posted by Homesteader
BigSqueeze - Party Pooper LOL. Regards, Homesteader
......Yeah, I know!!!....Love poopin all over the them diehards. LOL!
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
......Well yes,,,and no!

It may the king in ballistic terms, but it certainly isn`t in the inventory of most 375 owners.

Helps to have a rifle where one can enjoy shooting at least 20 rounds from the bench per session? Most would be lucky to handle only 5 to 10 rounds using a 378 Bee.

Heck with the brake I can fire 50-60 with no problem. With the 378 or my 416 Bees. And performance is awesome.

I get more punishment from my 300 RUM.
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
......Well yes,,,and no!

Heck with the brake I can fire 50-60 with no problem. With the 378 or my 416 Bees. And performance is awesome.

I get more punishment from my 300 RUM.
.......Yes you`re right, WITH a brake! Just like you have a 378 BEE, my 338-378 Bee can also maybe be classified in the same way.

But for my use and ranges, my handy 375 Ruger Alaskan will get `er done. 2800+ fps from it using a 270 grainer isn`t too bad.
Well for starters the .375-H&H will handle just about 95% of anything you may want to kill in big game animals. Now if you think you need more velocity or energy to the tune of 5200 pounds, then simply do a inexpensive rechamber job on the .375H&H and you have the best of both worlds. A rifle that will shoot .375H&H ammo and also the .375-Weatherby for that extra hammer of Thor! I did so some years ago as matter of fact.

I shoot a .416 Rem mag and a .416-Rigby without a muzzle brake. I find them to be just to loud for guides and myself. Also for your information, the .378 Weatherby is the "worst kicking" .375 caliber rifle in the entire world. Only a handful of hunters purchase that caliber and you will not shoot it more than once without the factory brake on the front end of that barrel.........I'll bet money on that.
I knew a guy who found a used .378 Weatherby at a gun show and his friends hounded him until he bought it.
These guys liked to drive around the countryside shooting at rocks, stray cats, coyotes, etc.
His was on the Schultz and Larsen action with a muzzle brake and two mercury recoil reducers in the stock. He said shooting it was pretty unique.
I think an H&H would make a nice bear, moose rifle. Time will tell.
whelennut
That's why I like the 375 Weatherby. More oomph than either the 375 H&H or the 375 Ruger, can shoot 375 H&H rounds in a pinch, recoil is still manageable without a muzzle brake in my Rem XCR II with Leupold 2x7 scope that weighs in at 7 1/2 lbs (including scope).
I've got a Parker Hale Mauser action I'd thought long and hard on.

Now I'm pretty sure I'm going to go w/ a .375 Ruger because of length.

To me the H&H and the Ruger are all one needs and I wouldn't go with any other due to punishment and difficulty finding components.

That is NOT to say that I care whether the companies innovate; that is always good for us, the consumers. That is just to say that from my POV the others are "too much of a good thing" or, in the case of the Steyr, just too obscure (although I must say the numbers on that cartridge are most impressive and if it weren't so close to extinction with the Ruger so impressive and gaining in popularity I'd likely go w/ Steyr).

A .378 Weatherby on a Schultz & Larsen would be the freakin' schiz just for novelty...
Oh I do not know...
Something about a Barnes 250 grain TTSX at 3250 FPS trips my trigger!!!!

Not for everyone, but definitely for me.
I'm with Chuck. YES! 375 Weatherby ! and you can shoot 375 H&H out if it if you run out of the Weatherby fodder to feed it.
© 24hourcampfire